DRC: McCarney credits change to making things uncomfortable

Brett Vito

Good.

Completely agree with his statement: "I made it personal with them because it was inexcusable. If we didn’t have good system, a good offensive line, Division I backs or guys who know how to execute, maybe we try to cover it up and sweep it under the carpet and make an excuse. We do have those things in place."

Do what you're coached to do. UNT has one of the best OL's in CUSA, and a three-headed monster at RB. Absolutely no reason not to rush for 150 every game, no matter what front they face.

Go make plays.

• Upvote 2

UNT allowed just two plays of more than 20 yards last week in its win over MTSU and didn’t give up a single offensive play of 20 yards or more in a loss to Tulane two weeks ago.

McCarney and his players see those back-to-back solid outings in terms of limiting big plays as a sign of improvement defensively.

UNT gave up eight plays of at least 20 yards in a loss to Georgia and seven in a win over Ball State before improving in its last two games.

Oh wow. I definitely did not realize we had improved so dramatically in that area. That's flat out amazing.

Edited by Christopher Walker

The ground game didn't get going against MTSU until AFTER we threw the ball on first down. Then the MUTS started backing off some....and the rest is history.,

After arriving at NT, one of the first things that Hayden Fry said about his offensive philosophy was "I'm going to throw first to set up the run". Obviously one of the lessons from a great mentor that McCarney decided to ignore.

Look for Tech to do the same as Tulane and every one else....stack 8 and 9 in the box and dare us to throw on first down.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You have to also realize that Middle Tenn did not stack 8 in the box like all the other teams. So I really question whether or not we have gotten better in the run game.

The MUTS game will be the last game all year where the team we play says "beat us with your running game, we dare you."

It has been the other way around for almost every game since Mac has been here, and it will be back to that way for the rest of the year. Teams will see the MUTS film and continue to stack 8 in the box and make DT beat us.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The ground game didn't get going against MTSU until AFTER we threw the ball on first down.

That's debatable, IMO. I took a look at the play by play, and UNT was running fairly effectively pretty early. But whatever gets the run game going--I'm all for it!

• Upvote 1

The MUTS game will be the last game all year where the team we play says "beat us with your running game, we dare you."

It has been the other way around for almost every game since Mac has been here, and it will be back to that way for the rest of the year. Teams will see the MUTS film and continue to stack 8 in the box and make DT beat us.

This. One thousand times.

I'll be impressed when we run consistently against an 8 man front. Don't see any sign of it happening.

All the rest is simple coach speak.

The ground game didn't get going against MTSU until AFTER we threw the ball on first down. Then the MUTS started backing off some....and the rest is history.,

After arriving at NT, one of the first things that Hayden Fry said about his offensive philosophy was "I'm going to throw first to set up the run". Obviously one of the lessons from a great mentor that McCarney decided to ignore.

Look for Tech to do the same as Tulane and every one else....stack 8 and 9 in the box and dare us to throw on first down.

Seems to me he considers Barry Alvarez as his mentor, drops his name a lot.

The MTSU secondary has been pretty bad so far this year. Our running game had recently sputtered. They played most of the night pretty straight up with a 7 man front trying to protect their secondary and counting on being able to stop the run. They couldn't. By the time they were sneaking up an extra defender we were rolling and we burned them a few times with passes for 1st downs. Once we got in a groove, they just couldn't stop us.

This weekend will be huge for us.

This. One thousand times.

I'll be impressed when we run consistently against an 8 man front. Don't see any sign of it happening.

All the rest is simple coach speak.

I could be wrong on this, but I seem to remember some criticism from you for trying to run against 8 man fronts. Now you will only be impressed when they can run against an 8 man front?

• Upvote 3

I could be wrong on this, but I seem to remember some criticism from you for trying to run against 8 man fronts. Now you will only be impressed when they can run against an 8 man front?

In that article, Coach Mac insinuates that his great rah-rah speech is the reason we were finally able to run the ball. Don't get me wrong, I love a good rah-rah speech, but I think the other team only committing 7 and sometimes only 6 to the run has much more to do with it.

So, ya. Wanna ignore a lack of commitment by the other team to stop your running game? Then ignore the commitment by the other team TO stop your running game.

After all, it's only consistent, and isn't consistency what Coach Mac is demanding?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So recently we proved that we could throw effectively if needed, which opened up the run for us against an opponent trying to protect their secondary.

I thought that is what we have been hoping for. Take what they give you or at the very least make the defense play you straight up.

• Upvote 1

In that article, Coach Mac insinuates that his great rah-rah speech is the reason we were finally able to run the ball. Don't get me wrong, I love a good rah-rah speech, but I think the other team only committing 7 and sometimes only 6 to the run has much more to do with it.

So, ya. Wanna ignore a lack of commitment by the other team to stop your running game? Then ignore the commitment by the other team TO stop your running game.

After all, it's only consistent, and isn't consistency what Coach Mac is demanding?

Yup, I mean, don't give ANY credit to us, just to MTSU.

You're a wonderful human being.

• Upvote 1

There's quite a narrative being seeded in the last few media articles right now - especially this one and today's DMN.

• Upvote 2

Yup, I mean, don't give ANY credit to us, just to MTSU.

You're a wonderful human being.

Dude. Stop acting like you are 12 when people don't think the way you do. Consider this a valuable life lesson.

I gave the offense props for running the ball and scoring 34 points. Just don't tell me it was because of a bullshit rah-rah speech. What the opposing defense does SHOULD dictate what this offense does. We are not good enough to play any other way, plain and simple.

• Upvote 1

So recently we proved that we could throw effectively if needed, which opened up the run for us against an opponent trying to protect their secondary.

I thought that is what we have been hoping for. Take what they give you or at the very least make the defense play you straight up.

You are right. We did a great job offensively against a team that protected against the pass.

The question is, can we do a great job against teams that protect against the run?? We have once. Against Ball St. When we were aggressive by throwing the ball early in the game on early downs.

Will we do it again against La. Tech? When we haven't on the road against the 2 teams that were beatable?

We shall see.