Tropical Storm Karen

UNT90

Most tracks take it East towards Florida as it passes the Yucatan peninsula and goes into the open gulf, but a couple of models take it to New Orleans this weekend.

Just a heads up for you travelers out there.

What is it about UNT and Tropical Storms/Hurricanes in early fall Louisiana games?

• Upvote 1

The storm is projected as of 4 pm to be just south of New Orleans on Saturday morning. Though the center of the system will probably pass to the east, I would be very surprised if the game goes on as scheduled. I think the emergency managers will err on the side of caution. The storm is looking fairly ragged at 4 pm, CDT with part of the circulation exposed because of southwest wind shear, which will increase as it gets closer to landfall and inhibit intensification further. Still, I know how cautious EM people are (and have to be) and so I wouldn't be surprised to see cancellation. In any case, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now trying to make the decision.....its a no win situation for them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for the update Island...

What's interesting is that the Superdome is used for shelter in these storms no? That could absolutely have a big impact on this game being rescheduled.

What a huge bummer it would be if we aren't able to play this game!!

picked this up off the Tulane Board:

Tulane Athletics Announces Tailgating Changes for Saturday’s Game against North Texas

Kickoff for the TU-North Texas game remains at 2:30 p.m.

New Orleans – With Tropical Storm Karen approaching the gulf coast, including the Greater New Orleans area, Tulane Athletics has made alternate plans for pre-game fan activities for the Green Wave’s homecoming football against North Texas on Saturday. Due to safety precautions, all official tailgating activities on the roof of Garage 5 & 6 have been suspended.

Members of the Tulane Athletics staff have been actively tracking this storm, which is scheduled to make landfall sometime Friday evening and Saturday morning, and working with officials from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. The start time for the Tulane-North Texas game has not changed and the contest will kick-off at 2:30 p.m.

The St. Charles Lounge, located inside the Mercedes Benz Superdome, will open at 12:30 p.m. Any ticketed guest may enter the lounge, and guests will have full access to a cash/card bar and the opportunity to purchase food. No outside food or beverage will be permitted inside the Mercedes Benz Superdome. To enter, fans are asked to go to the Northwest escalator located by Gate G.

In addition, Tulane Athletic Fund donors will also have access into the Claiborne Lounge at 12:30pm. The entrance is through gate G.

Amanda Shaw & the Cute Guys will be performing from 1:00 to 2:15 p.m. in the St. Charles Lounge.

The remainder of the Superdome will open at 1:30 p.m.

For more information, please call the Tulane Ticket Office at 504-861-WAVE (9283).

Thanks for the update Island...

What's interesting is that the Superdome is used for shelter in these storms no? That could absolutely have a big impact on this game being rescheduled.

What a huge bummer it would be if we aren't able to play this game!!

It will be a shelter. It's all a plot for Tulane to boost their attendance numbers.

• Upvote 1

The storm is projected as of 4 pm to be just south of New Orleans on Saturday morning. Though the center of the system will probably pass to the east, I would be very surprised if the game goes on as scheduled. I think the emergency managers will err on the side of caution. The storm is looking fairly ragged at 4 pm, CDT with part of the circulation exposed because of southwest wind shear, which will increase as it gets closer to landfall and inhibit intensification further. Still, I know how cautious EM people are (and have to be) and so I wouldn't be surprised to see cancellation. In any case, I wouldn't want to be in their shoes right now trying to make the decision.....its a no win situation for them.

What I was afraid of...

If cancelled (rather postponed) I guess really too late for a neutral site?

GMG!

• Upvote 1

Very good point but that still screws up Tulane's homecoming plans...

Yes, you would think they would have to announce a cancellation tonight, but that is really a tough call. If it weren't for the memory of Katrina a cancellation would be pretty shocking. Even though it looks to be mainly just a heavy rain storm at the moment, I guess you never really know for sure about those levees.

• Upvote 1