Benford keeps winning the recruiting battles

Harry

Lots of locker room challenges last year on the men's team, but many folks here don't want to hear this sort of truth. In their minds the players are 100% blameless for the disaster of a season UNT had last year and were in no way responsible for their production.

So, be very careful CaveCrew, you are stepping in dangerous territory here...truth is often dangerous as so many refuse to believe the truth in many cases.

Don't know how this info is known to you, but there are others who can testify to your statements.

Folks, it is what it is...and was what it was...a new season and new new team attitude is nearing. We have the Tip-Off event on Oct. 10th at the Super Pit. I challenge everyone to put their personal prejudices and opinions aside and come support this team starting with the tip-off event on the 10th at 7PM. These guys and coaches really have been working hard this off-season, and from early reports the team seems to be much...MUCH...more together right now than it EVER was last season.

Last year is OVER...this year is upon us. A new year...good things possible and probable. Will you be there to support YOUR team? Hope so as i think it going to be much more fun this year to be at the Super Pit for the games. Just sayin....

And what you continually fail to understand is that BENFORD IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS LOCKER ROOM.

But it sure is a lot easier to blame a bunch of 19 year olds that didn't play up to expectations, isn't it?

Edited by UNT90

Can't work, doesn't Teflon release deadly gas at high temperatures. Like I don't know, in a dumpster fire?

Is hot air considered gas? Cause from my perspective right behind the home bench last year, there was a ton of that being released by Benford.

And trust me, that hot air was deadly...

...at least to UNT basketball

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I have no question their were issues in the locker room. When things start to go south for any team there usually are (especially when expectations are high)! That's not to let the players off the hook (I give them something around 25-30% of the blame with Benford getting the remainder) as at a certain point they could have just played for each other instead of the staff if they really had that little confidence.

If we don't lose games against teams like UAH maybe the funk never starts to lead to player unrest in the first place. I don't think we ever recovered fully from the opening five or six games.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, at this point we just have to give Benford another chance because we really have no other choice...if he fails again though surely he will be fired...right?...right? :huh:

I think RV is watching the football front on that one... every win Mac gets raises the amount of games Teflon Tony needs to win to stay on after this year, because it will give RV confidence he has the money for this buy-out. As soon as Mac gets to 6 RV knows he can keep him at least 2 more years, putting Tony on notice that this season better be an improvement over the last one.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

I would be much more excited if Benford didn't oversee the regression of a 5 star NBA draft pick.

This gives me little hope, no matter how well he recruits.

Hope I'm wrong.

If that were the case, don't you think this would have occurred last year with a 5 star, NBA draft pick on the roster? Maybe there was an attitude problem. Don't know, just speculating.

• Upvote 1

If that were the case, don't you think this would have occurred last year with a 5 star, NBA draft pick on the roster? Maybe there was an attitude problem. Don't know, just speculating.

What would have occurred? Winning? nope. Advancing past the first round in the conference tournament? nope.

The regression of a 5 star NBA draft pick? Yep. We should have known it was going to happen when Benford broke out the binder.

Interesting thing about Combs is he is a guy that is good in transition, a good motor around the basket, and very athletic.

Seems like we had a guy like that last year that Benford couldn't figure out how to use, except that guy was 2 inches taller, could jump higher, was more athletic, and is now in the NBA.

Yep, this has success written all over it.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Interesting thing about Combs is he is a guy that is good in transition, a good motor around the basket, and very athletic.

Seems like we had a guy like that last year that Benford couldn't figure out how to use, except that guy was 2 inches taller, could jump higher, was more athletic, and is now in the NBA.

Yep, this has success written all over it.

Boom

I don't think that he is blameless, but the coaches sure didn't do much to change the situation and help him out. There is blame to go around, but to simply blame Mitchell for the season is just wrong.

Name one person who blames Mitchell entirely for last season's disaster. I have not seen that and have seen no one indicate as such. Mitchell "could" have played harder...he admitted as much...this "could" have led to others around him playing harder...sure, but this was in no way the one and only reason for last year's disaster on and off the court. Blaming Mitchell for it all is as inane as blaming Benford for it all. If you sit on either of these benches you are just refusing to see the whole picture that was last year's team.

• Upvote 1

sw100.jpg

He'll never get away from one of the best decisions he ever made... Not drafted if he speaks the truth.

He's cuffed to that statement (therefore blamed for the poor season in some people's minds) forever.

Hmmmmmmm...no! Taking personal responsibility for one's own actions is sort of a good thing. At least I think so. Seems so many people these days are always ready to blame someone else for their personal shortcomings. The "it's not my fault" attitude runs rampant in today's society. Heck, why take personal responsibility for anything...especially your own actions? At least Tony manned up to his mistakes and said so. He isn't "cuffed" to anything but the truth. If that is too hard to handle, then it might be best to think about changing behavior while there is still time.

Lots of "blame" if that is the correct word for last season's failures both on and off the court that led to the disaster of a season. Anyone who blames any one individual for it is just dead wrong and so very short-sighted. Ridiculous to blame Tony or any other single individual...be it player or coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Name one person who blames Mitchell entirely for last season's disaster. I have not seen that and have seen no one indicate as such. Mitchell "could" have played harder...he admitted as much...this "could" have led to others around him playing harder...sure, but this was in no way the one and only reason for last year's disaster on and off the court. Blaming Mitchell for it all is as inane as blaming Benford for it all. If you sit on either of these benches you are just refusing to see the whole picture that was last year's team.

Have you read this board? That is exactly what is going around here lately. You blame one of the Tonys entirely. There is very little middle ground around here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1