UNT Regents finance committee approves budget

Harry

My cousin is one of the top gymnasts for her age in the country (she's 15) and trained for a while at Woga in Frisco (one of the top gyms in the country). Now she is being pursued by Stanford, Alabama, UNC-CH, UGA, and several more. I'm not sure she would choose North Texas if offered, but the fact that she and many of her friends are offered throughout the country -- but not so much in the DFW area -- could be crucial for a potential in recruiting some top talent down the road. Great idea and hopefully somebody actually pushes for this women's sport to be incorporated.

• Upvote 1

How about Sand Volleyball in the Outfield berm seating area of the baseball stadium? Like the minor league stadiums often have?

That's funny, but F those stadiums that are more Six Flags than baseball. Frisco with it's GD swimming pool in the outfield. A swimming pool! I seriously wonder if anybody gives a rats ass about any actual game being played on any actual field anymore. They seem much, much more concerned with being seen in a place that costs a couple hundred bucks to enter with $12 beers, so long as there are amenities to keep their Caitlyn/Jayden devil spawn busy while mom gets "tipsy" on a white wine spritzer. /rant

(On a side note: as the Frisco refugees that we are, my kid and I happened upon this clearance bin of day-glo 3.2% wine coolers in Sprouts a while ago. Kid says, "Look! A bucketful of housewife tipsy juice!" My kid is a smartass. No idea where she gets it from.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I still don't know why NT thinks they have to be the gender equity champion of the land. Adding 11 baseball ships is not going to change anything. Add sand VB if you have to, being it uses the same players as the 6 player game it should cost next to nothing.

I really fear if they add baseball and an equivalent number of girls ships, that it is going to be felt in the other sports.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Women's gymnastics. We have an untapped gold mine in this area. 2 or your last 3 Olympic Champions train in Plano. We could seriously be a powerhouse.

I'd be on board with that but I thought TWU already had women's gymnastics and had a pretty decent program at that but I could be wrong. As for the talent in the state yes that would be huge for us if we do it right.

• Upvote 1

I still don't know why NT thinks they have to be the gender equity champion of the land. Adding 11 baseball ships is not going to change anything. Add sand VB if you have to, being it uses the same players as the 6 player game it should cost next to nothing.

I really fear if they add baseball and an equivalent number of girls ships, that it is going to be felt in the other sports.

I agree. I want to see baseball happen, but I don't believe our other sports have the funding they need yet, let alone adding another sport or two.

• Upvote 1

"In an interesting side note, UNT regent Don Potts reiterated that the school will have to add a women’s sport to offset the impact of having a baseball program will have on its standing with Title IX."

I saw this morning that Vito quoted Potts as saying UNT need to add a GIRLS sport to offset..............

Interesting terminology for female college athletes. I guess we have BOYS football and basketball teams?

Yes, my good friend Kram, :rolleyes: I know you are often on your high horse about the evils of "political correctness" but in this case, and assuming Vito did not blow the quote, I think the "image" of the Chair of the Board of Regents and the university overrides concerns about any preoccupation with unwarranted "political correctness".

"Womens" or "young women's" would certainly have been preferable to "girls" - The athletes that play football and basketball at the college level are usually referred to as "men" or "young men".

When I go to a football game Big Country Abbe does not conjure up the term "boy" in my vocabulary.

When I attend volleyball games the female athletes certainly don't look like "girls" to me!

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd be on board with that but I thought TWU already had women's gymnastics and had a pretty decent program at that but I could be wrong. As for the talent in the state yes that would be huge for us if we do it right.

TWU does have a team. But they may be thw only one. NT, being a major university would have an opportunity to compete against the SEC level schools.

• Upvote 1

I saw this morning that Vito quoted Potts as saying UNT need to add a GIRLS sport to offset..............

Interesting terminology for female college athletes. I guess we have BOYS football and basketball teams?

Yes, my good friend Kram, :rolleyes: I know you are often on your high horse about the evils of "political correctness" but in this case, and assuming Vito did not blow the quote, I think the "image" of the Chair of the Board of Regents and the university overrides concerns about any preoccupation with unwarranted "political correctness".

"Womens" or "young women's" would certainly have been preferable to "girls" - The athletes that play football and basketball at the college level are usually referred to as "men" or "young men".

When I go to a football game Big Country Abbe does not conjure up the term "boy" in my vocabulary.

When I attend volleyball games the female athletes certainly don't look like "girls" to me!

GMG

Actually Todd Dodge would constantly refer to his players as "kids". As do several on this board. I suppose it is a pet peeve of mine, but I think once you are old enough to die for our country, vote and attend college you have earned the right to be called a man/woman.

• Upvote 1

Actually Todd Dodge would constantly refer to his players as "kids". As do several on this board. I suppose it is a pet peeve of mine, but I think once you are old enough to die for our country, vote and attend college you have earned the right to be called a man/woman.

THIS! I used to get so sick of coaches yelling in our face to "man up" or "be a man" and then run to the media and constantly call us kids. That word drives me crazy to this day. Effing coach speak. Sorry for the rant, but it just so unoriginal and annoying.

Oh, and if they can't stand to use the word men, call them players or guys or something else. Just so demeaning.

OK, really finished this time.

Edited by cwb
  • Upvote 1

THIS! I used to get so sick of coaches yelling in our face to "man up" or "be a man" and then run to the media and constantly call us kids. That word drives me crazy to this day. Effing coach speak. Sorry for the rant, but it just so unoriginal and annoying.

Oh, and if they can't stand to use the word men, call them players or guys or something else. Just so demeaning.

OK, really finished this time.

Beggin' your pardon but that kind of coach talk always seemed to work with me. :bangin:

First time I ever heard my Texas HS coach ever come close to cussin' was when I

messed up on a receiver's route in a practice and after throwing his clip board

on the ground just take one wild guess what he said?

HELLSBELLS ! (our school colors were black & gold).

I am 35 and I still have trouble considering myself a man. :P