Fundraiser for UNT baseball

Harry

41 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Don't we have to raise enough money to fund some women's sports too? I thought in addition to the funding, Title IX was standing in our way. Is that no longer the case?

If you are to believe some of the whispers coming from Bonnie Brea we are too poor to buyout one year @375k for a coach who has lost 20 games twice in the four years he has coached the basketball team (including the most recent season).

Title IX, Tulsa, Northern Arizona, some jerk accountants, Mac buyout, etc... These are what will take the blame (or something similar), none of it will be RVs fault. Though in the case of baseball's alleged startup timing it's probable it isn't all his fault, though whatever portion is his he will not own up to.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

Pretty sure that we are still in Title IX compliance with a baseball team and no additional women's sports.  Flyer spoke of this a few times.

Right.  Plus, doesn't baseball only allow 11.5 scholarships or something like that?  It's common for players to have partial scholarships for baseball.   Title IX compliance is all about scholarship availability between the sexes, and UNT is at or close to a 1:1 ratio, which is way above the threshold.  There are more sports played by women at UNT than there are mens (Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Swimming/diving VS Football).

28 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right.  Plus, doesn't baseball only allow 11.5 scholarships or something like that?  It's common for players to have partial scholarships for baseball.   Title IX compliance is all about scholarship availability between the sexes, and UNT is at or close to a 1:1 ratio, which is way above the threshold.  There are more sports played by women at UNT than there are mens (Soccer, Volleyball, Tennis, Swimming/diving VS Football).

There are more women's sports at almost every school now; at least the ones with football.  Football takes up the lion's share of men's scholarships. 

Yes, baseball is 11.5, leaving most baseballers paying their own way for most of their schooling.

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

As far as Title IX, begin by counting the scholies for each sex - men and women.  There are no transsex sports yet.  When there are, Title IX will have to be revised.

You do realize they're still either man or woman?

And I want to end it there so you don't lock up this thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Aldo said:

You do realize they're still either man or woman?

And I want to end it there so you don't lock up this thread.

Yes.  Thanks to D.N.A. we know what they are.  But, NCAA will be confronted with it someday like the rest of society.  Almost did with Griner at Baylor:  https://fitandfeminist.com/2012/04/03/the-misgendering-of-brittney-griner/ 

As for baseball, as always, if you are going to raise money for it, you are still going to have to find the money for equal female scholarships.  Lacrosse, maybe?  Donate twice, or make your one donation double what you wanted to make it. 

You are fighting more than hope with these things; you are fighting the college athletic gender battle...which it ruled by Title IX. Can't pretend that the athletic department doesn't want baseball; it does.  But, it's got to follow the rules.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes.  Thanks to D.N.A. we know what they are.  But, NCAA will be confronted with it someday like the rest of society.  Almost did with Griner at Baylor:  https://fitandfeminist.com/2012/04/03/the-misgendering-of-brittney-griner/ 

Not dismissing your point, it's a good one (though this article is more about sexism), but it's deserving of it's own thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11.7 scholarships in baseball.  Each scholarship player must receive at least a 25% scholarship (The 25% thing is essentially the Augie Garrido rule.  Kids used to go play for him for the cost of books just for the experience).  I believe 35 scholarship players. Of course, the big conferences fight this every year.  Eventually, they'll win.  We can't have the Fresnos and Fullertons of the world continue with those national championships.

Edited by oldguystudent

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

11.7 scholarships in baseball.  Each scholarship player must receive at least a 25% scholarship (The 25% thing is essentially the Augie Garrido rule.  Kids used to go play for him for the cost of books just for the experience).  I believe 35 scholarship players. Of course, the big conferences fight this every year.  Eventually, they'll win.  We can't have the Fresnos and Fullertons of the world continue with those national championships.

How on earth did they arrive at this obscure number?

• Upvote 1

Due to the size of its roster compared to other sports, football requires the most funding while also generating the most revenue for the university. Football has 85 student athletes on scholarship each season, compelling North Texas to add additional women’s sports to meet the NCAA’s Title XI requirements. Title XI doesn’t necessarily mean each men’s sport needs a women’s equivalent, but only that each gender gets equal athletic opportunities.

As a result, there are seven women’s teams, three men’s and two co-ed teams at North Texas. Adding baseball to that list is a top priority, but Villarreal said he wouldn’t want to take away from any already established programs.

“We have continued to raise more and more money, and we have continued to send more corporate sponsorships,” Villarreal said. “But in order to put a baseball team and soccer team into place, and then add the equivalent number of women’s sports, it would be a pretty big financial undertaking.

Link

I love baseball. Its my favorite professional sport, by a lot. I enjoy college baseball when the postseason begins and its on TV regularly enough to watch it when things really matter.

And I think it is just crazy for us to even consider baseball being added here anytime soon. We suck so bad in every revenue sport right now that I cannot even fathom how truly awful we would be at baseball here. We don't draw well to the popular sports, how in the world are we gonna get people here for a baseball game, especially when RV hires his next spare that leads us to 5-28 record? We can't even afford to buy out the last year of a horrible basketball coach in his 5th season as a loser, all because it costs $325k. We have already shown everyone what moving up in a revenue sport when you aren't financially ready to do so (see football in1995).

What should be done is that football gets an indoor facility that can be used by the other nonrevenue sports, as well (i.e. track and field and soccer). We need to have "buyout fund" setup for never allowing the Benford situation to ever happen again. Then, and only then, if the football program and hoops programs can bring in more funds, that's when I would work on starting up baseball with a legitimate stadium being ready for our first season and having a legitimate college coach already hired two years ahead of time to get the program up and running. Otherwise, you are setting up for failure at a sport that does cost money to have, money we obviously don't have or just won't spend.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It was explained to me that NT  would not be in compliance if we added the baseball scholies.  That is why women's equestrian and bowling has been talked about.

Calling @UNTflyer.  I'm nearly certain he had the most accurate information on this.  Nonetheless, by now I consider all talks of baseball to be about as useful as discussions of accents on Nike shoes during spring practice.