College Football Poll Predicts 9-3 Season For Mean Green

MeanGreen61

Surprised at their prediction. Scroll down for past predictions/results & they have been fairly close on North Texas over the years.

Excerpt from CUSA conference prediction.

North Texas' forecast is particularly worth watching as the computer's preseason forecast has nailed the Mean Green record 10 times since 1995, including 4 years straight from 2007-2010. It has only missed its mark by 1 game on 5 other occasions, including the last 2 years. UNT hasn't been picked to do this well since 2004 when a 9-2 forecast became a 7-4 reality. The program hasn't been predicted to win, and has not won, more than 5 games in a season since then.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/analysis_cusa_ntex.html

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 7

Interesting scenario. Looks like the reason for this projection is...

"The computer ranks Conference USA as the worst in college football in 2013, even slightly behind the Sun Belt. And it will continue its decline in status next year when it loses East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa to the American Athletic Conference. As replacements, the league has attracted Western Kentucky (Sun Belt) and Old Dominion (FCS). It adds UNC-Charlotte (FCS) in 2015 to get back to 14 schools."

If there were two options, which would you choose:

• 7-1 CUSA record - all media outlets rank CUSA as the worst conference
  • 3-5 CUSA record - media outlets consider CUSA on par with the MAC with both conferences considered notable upgrades from the Belt

As excited as I am about CUSA membership, count me as one who wouldn't think twice about CUSA developing a lesser reputation for the benefit of a huge turnaround in the Win column and a bowl game. Less for the fan-sided excitement of the bowl experience but more for the additional practice time earned and the continued development that affords.

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

if the cards fall right and you look at the glass half full.....

1- potentially the best O line in the conference and in the "mid majors"

2- could be the best LBrs in the conference...i think we have the best single LB in the conf and a top 20 in the nation with Orr.

3- SPEED...LOTS OF SPEED....Evans, Chancellor...remember Chancellor running away from LSU db's? to name two

4- db's seem to be better this year

5- competition at qb breeds better play at qb...who ever is qb

6- power back in pegram

One thing that has not been mentioned much is the play of special teams. I think this could be a key to the Mean Green having a season like what is being predicted.

Area of concern for me like most is D line. They have to hold their ground and let the LBrs run and make plays.

9-3???..a possibility with the above mentioned and staying healthy.

• Upvote 1

This is also bulletin board material. Not the bad kind that motivates you to play harder (we have plenty of that), but the good kind that shows a national publication putting their neck out in belief of your ability.

C'mon Mean Green. Meet these expectations, and you will go down as the group that turned it around and started something great.

I'm on the record with a 5-7 year. Win the Ball St. game and I may start believing.

• Upvote 2

Interesting scenario. Looks like the reason for this projection is...

"The computer ranks Conference USA as the worst in college football in 2013, even slightly behind the Sun Belt. And it will continue its decline in status next year when it loses East Carolina, Tulane and Tulsa to the American Athletic Conference. As replacements, the league has attracted Western Kentucky (Sun Belt) and Old Dominion (FCS). It adds UNC-Charlotte (FCS) in 2015 to get back to 14 schools."

If there were two options, which would you choose:

• 7-1 CUSA record - all media outlets rank CUSA as the worst conference
  • 3-5 CUSA record - media outlets consider CUSA on par with the MAC with both conferences considered notable upgrades from the Belt

As excited as I am about CUSA membership, count me as one who wouldn't think twice about CUSA developing a lesser reputation for the benefit of a huge turnaround in the Win column and a bowl game. Less for the fan-sided excitement of the bowl experience but more for the additional practice time earned and the continued development that affords.

Thoughts?

I'll take the first half of number 1, and the second half of number 2, for $500, Alex.

• Upvote 2

Put another way, the past accuracy of this computer's predictions gives us 5-1 odds that we will win at least eight games. And, only once in 18 tries has it missed the season wins by more than two games. That's pretty overwhelming that we will win at least seven games and, after what we've been through the past eight years, who wouldn't take that?

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 5

Put another way, the past accuracy of this computer's predictions gives us 5-1 odds that we will win at least eight games. And, only once in 18 tries has it missed the season wins by more than two games. That's pretty overwhelming that we will win at least seven games and, after what we've been through the past eight years, who wouldn't take that?

OR,

The odds are that this computer is due for an off year due to so many years of accurately predicting UNT football results. With the unknown component of injuries, redshirt freshman whose ability is unknown, etc., this computer is basically flipping a coin. When you flip a coin, you can only guess right so many times in a row before the odds invariably catch up with you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1