QBs in practice...any news?

BIG DAWG

As I pointed out a month ago. Speed in Colorado doesn't match speed in Texas.

Rick

It's looking more and more like you are right on this, which is concerning... especially if Scotty tears us up on 10/19.

But most, if not all, of the folks who were knocking Berglund were adamant that Thompson is 'the man', and that doesn't appear to be the case either?

Straight from McCarney's mouth just now: "Dajon Williams is now in the mix for starting QB and we do not expect to redshirt him."

Only my opinion, but if he is not a clear cut starter, or he is not clearly a level above the other backups then I would hope he would be red shirted.

• Upvote 1

We have nothing to go on but generica coach speak americana... Its fun. We are all very very excited to gets us some football...

FFR, I'd love to go up and watch some practice too... if I didn't have a full time job and and wife and 3 kids... I bet you could sneak around and watch from a distance if you really wanted to and invested in some binoculars.... at this point, all I have is vito vids and blog entries...

Last couple of years has left us all wanting more... the troy game and the western ky games come to mind that work against DT. 4 and 8. I really hope that IF....and that is a ginmormous IF... we ended up with .500(my prediction by the way...with no justification other than I am just tired of expecting and seeing less) we need to give some praise to DT since we seem to be putting most of the blame on him... I'm not saying he is not atleast partially responsible in any way...but man, he was both good and bad at times last season.

Of course, all our rooting and wishing for BB or DW or DT or even AM(aka mini-mac) is all silliness... as much as it sounds silly, I totally trust mac and chico at this point. Well, what other choice do we have at this point? I bought my season tickets, and I can't wait to tailgate and see me some mean green football...Lets just hope that it is a bit meaner than in the recent past.

I am personally rooting for whomever wins all the starting jobs... Can't Wait! Go Positionional Comptetition! Go Depth! Go GMG!!!!!!

Aug 31st can't get here quickly enough.

excellent post!

Just wondering am I the only one a little worried that the ones picking our QB are the same ones who passed (if we are to believe) on a transfer QB that looks to be starting at LT? Just trying to figure the talent they are using to make these choices. [/quote

Brock looks like Johnny Manziel.

On paper.

They still will need to come under fire if Berglund flops...Scotty openly wanted to come play for us.

• Upvote 1

I am really surprised by what Mac said ... and maybe disappointed in the top three guys. He's basically saying Dajon will play this year.

I am thinking DW red shirts this year. Chico has said he is not ready...yet. We will see...future looks bright at QB if early reports hold.

I think this is Mac's way of lighting a fire under the other three. DT cannot be complacent, Berglund needs to show more than flashese of potential, and McNulty needs to be more than just a guy who wouldn't even hit the depth chart at most other schools.

Absolutely. Williams definitely looks the part of a D1 qb, but we absolutely need that out of the other 3 and that may very well be what Mac is doing.

However, any reps DW gets with the first or second team, he has earned it.

Of course. But that isn't the point I have been making, which is despite what a few here claim, that there is no value in open practice/scrimmage, other programs...(and it appears maybe even MOST programs)...and their fans believe there is.

Tell me Im wrong, that that there is no value to it and I'll show you there is with example after example after example.

Rick

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think peoples criticism/issue is that they think there is no value in opening the practices. I think the criticism comes from you becoming a broken record on a subject (open practices) that is probably number 101 on the list of top 100 things to worry about with North Texas football.

• Upvote 1

Straight from McCarney's mouth just now: "Dajon Williams is now in the mix for starting QB and we do not expect to redshirt him."

Serious? Good info here Christopher. Hey, seriously, you need to drive slowly by practice more often if you can even hear Coach Mac first hand from the road. Darn good ears you have there kid! :goodjob:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

I may be wrong on this, but I don't think peoples criticism/issue is that they think there is no value in opening the practices. I think the criticism comes from you becoming a broken record on a subject.....

You NEVER insert someone else's colors into your own alma mater's color just for the same of selling an extra t shirt or two. Our colors are green and white, not Burnt-Orange or.....

Oh, you meant my current broken record........

Never mind.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yep, since we run so many formations with a FB.

Well, if you went to games you'd see that we do, as well as use 3 tightend sets and an H back to block for the RB at times.

Still, if you think that a guy who has now made two teams through their practice squad in the NFL was justified sitting the bench for a program that hasn't had a winning season in 8 years then what else can I say?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1