Idaho Vandal fans talk UNT game...And We Talk Beer

Harry

I'm at Old Texas Brewery Co. in Burleson tomorrow. First time for me. What can I expect?

Summer preferences:

Blonde Ales (Shiner, Rahr), Dos Equis, Stella, most wheat beers, Brooklyn Brewery lagers

Don't like pale ales. They seem so popular right now, but I guess I'm not ready for them. Bleh.

Rick, It's on my mind to try that Revolver tour! Just heard about it yesterday. Is it similar to the Rahr tour?

Edited by greenminer

Interesting beer names and visiting some breweries sounds fun. I am boring to most on here about beer, I usually stay with Coors Light or Bud Light. Since you open with the Vandals from way up north in Idaho, a little history of our reputation for the party. BSU (we Vandals refer to them as the jc) President called us the "nasty and inebriated culture". He went on about the perils and safety of his fans and team venturing into the Palouse, to Moscow. Well, the two schools no longer play each other. Hard feelings have developed of course. We had the early half of the rivalry in our hands and ran off 12 straight, but of course, as you know, they have a great program and have won 14 straight. But the banter is still loud and "nasty". You will see all Vandals who make it to Denton as great people who are proud of their institution. We do wear our colors well and we are unconditionally loyal to the school and the team. As we are playing Sat night, most of us will be anxious to hear how the jc is fairing in Seattle, against UW, an evening game. So, if you hear a little bark of approval from us, you know the Huskies are humbling the Donks. I live in Boise, as do many alum. It is hard, but we hold our own in the land of blorange. Loved the beer talk. And thanks for making me feel at home. Looking forward to Denton.

Edited by joeyvee
  • Upvote 4

I'm at Old Texas Brewery Co. in Burleson tomorrow. First time for me. What can I expect?

Summer preferences:

Blonde Ales (Shiner, Rahr), Dos Equis, Stella, most wheat beers, Brooklyn Brewery lagers

Don't like pale ales. They seem so popular right now, but I guess I'm not ready for them. Bleh.

Rick, It's on my mind to try that Revolver tour! Just heard about it yesterday. Is it similar to the Rahr tour?

Grew up in ol b-town. They have a nice selection on beer and the food is pretty good at OTB Co. Old town gets hoping on saturday night. The patio on the roof at Old texas Brewery is awesome at night. It is too hot during the day to sit up there. Around the corner is spice racks. It is an okay bar. The food they serve is all organic and local I believe. Frsecos has good mexican food and I really like their margaritas. Dalton corners is fun too if you wanna shoot pool. It was a big bar in the 80s that shut down and was brought back so you will see the 40/50 year olds in there saturday night. Have fun!

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 2

I do like Ugly Pug. I have not had a chance to try an Armadillo brews yet, as I have not been in Denton in a while (though I did contribute to their Kickstarter campaign and use my bottle opener from them often).

In my fridge currently: Anchor Steam, Full Sail Amber, Abita Turbodog, Shiner Bock, Laughing Skull Amber, Guinness, Red Stripe, Erdinger Dunkel, Stone's Russian Imperial Stout, and Sierra Nevada Stout. Oh and a crappy Ecuadorian beer I cook with sometimes and drink in bars here when I must.

Have you tried ChIMAY? I really like it, a little expensive though. I'm a fan of ales more so than largers and IPAs. But like i said in a previous post every beer has a time and place and you wont see me chugging some guinness at tailingating, just ain't gonna happen.

Edited by mgfan

Grew up in ol b-town. They have a nice selection on beer and the food is pretty good at OTB Co. Old town gets hoping on saturday night. The patio on the roof at Old texas Brewery is awesome at night. It is too hot during the day to sit up there. Around the corner is spice racks. It is an okay bar. The food they serve is all organic and local I believe. Frsecos has good mexican food and I really like their margaritas. Dalton corners is fun too if you wanna shoot pool. It was a big bar in the 80s that shut down and was brought back so you will see the 40/50 year olds in there saturday night. Have fun!

Wow thanks! +1.

It'll be tonight, so I'm excited to see the crowds too.

• Upvote 1

Freaking beer snobs.

We all know that after the first 2, they all taste alike, anyway.

Amen, brother.

Idaho - UNT will be a good contest. I will follow it in memory of the late, great Vandal DB Jim Norton who was a teammate and friend of my late great father.

• Upvote 1

I forgot you were an Elk, what year again?

I haven't been back to the Old Town part since the original Dalton's closed probably? Sounds like that area is hoping again?

Rick

• Upvote 1

Great place! Lots of eye candy on staff, serving you a decent selection of beers.

I had to load tons of stuff up to the rooftop patio. At 100 degrees, up a staircase. That sucked. But overall, I liked our servers Becky and Co., and had some good pretzels and beer.

• Upvote 1

We had our first scrim. Here's a take from the Spokane newspaper:

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2013/aug/10/petrino-first-scrimmage/#more

and from the UI Athletics site, write up and stats link

:

http://www.govandals.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&CONTENT_ID=%23temp_CONTENT_ID&DB_OEM_ID=17100&ATCLID=209039063

Right now, our D front appears to be a strength, with our OL having a long ways to go before touching down in Denton. That said, from my observations at spring camp, a much better team overall in speed, physical conditioning and pride. HC Petrino is very demanding right now and has changed the culture back to the days when he and Bobby were in Moscow and our football was competitive and known for the next level athlete.

and, our board site; http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=205

We are die-hard fans, through the good and not so good:

NAQ-Football-Brand-Equity-Rankings.png

Edited by joeyvee
  • Upvote 1