Idaho Vandal fans talk UNT game...And We Talk Beer

Harry

Also...

1) Adam Keith sounds like he is into Robert's Rules of Order. Good guess?

2) MG93-98, any chance you knew the Mastersons? I can't remember if they lived in CA or ID in 93 (assuming that's about when you graduated).

Not much for RRO, just a high school teacher who was born and raised in the northern part of the state and has grown tired of the whole "potato state" thing. Just trying to spread the word that there is more to our state than spuds. We have people come from all 50 states and Canada to raft our rivers, and we have some of the best skiing in the states too. Swing on by any time. The people here are friendly as can be (even the gun nuts).

• Upvote 2

Not much for RRO, just a high school teacher who was born and raised in the northern part of the state and has grown tired of the whole "potato state" thing. Just trying to spread the word that there is more to our state than spuds. We have people come from all 50 states and Canada to raft our rivers, and we have some of the best skiing in the states too. Swing on by any time. The people here are friendly as can be (even the gun nuts).

Sure seems like it, from reading your fan board when it's linked here. Not the usual animosity you hear when a game is afoot. Idaho is one of my 14 (states I haven't visited) so we were planning to do it either along with Washington and Oregon, or with Utah, Wyoming, and possibly somewhere in the Dakotas/Montana/Nebraska. Not sure how to split them up since obviously we haven't been there yet. Any suggestions on that?

BTW it's nice that lately we've had posters from other schools just conversing and not "trolling". Making it a form of discussion, rather than one of rabble-rousing, may not help in the "rivalry" attempts or whatever, but it is much more interesting to learn about other schools and their region than it is to hear how much they rock and we suck or vice-versa. There are certainly threads for comparing stats and histories and having pissing contests, but it doesn't necessarily have to invade every discussion. I think a friendly and informative chit-chat once in a while is a good break from the usual.

• Upvote 1

You could catch the bottom half of the state on I-84 that will take you into Oregon and then swing through the northern part of the state on the way back (from WA). I'd personally take Highway 95 south from Coeur d'Alene to Lewiston, then Highway 12 east to Montana (along Lewis and Clark's route), or continue south on 95 where you end up on the rolling hills of the Camas Prairie before following the Salmon River (The River of No Return). Both are beautiful routes. Staying on 95 will keep you going through towns every 25 miles or so where the other one will have quite a stretch of open roads. The northwest is some of the most beautiful country in the world.

Great, thanks! And to return the favor, though there's tons to do in TX, if you go to the game this month some places to check out right in Denton are (Hayden) Fry Street (just northeast of campus) for fun bars, etc.; the Downtown Square for lots of great food, more bars, and shops; Rudy's or Metzler's BBQ; and, well, we have a whole thread about food and drink so you might want to check it out.

Also, I haven't checked the UNT calendar, but if there are any art or music events on campus at the time, if that's something you're interested in be sure to check the calendar of events at www.unt.edu. If you want anything else specific you can PM me about food or arts or whatever. I love traveling and sharing travel notes and tips, so after I moved to Texas I tried to experience as much all over the state as possible.

The same goes for any "lurkers" or posters who will be visiting for a game - lots of us are happy to provide information for any friendly visitors (it's the unfriendly ones that get the snarky comments).

Also, I haven't checked the UNT calendar, but if there are any art or music events on campus at the time, if that's something you're interested in be sure to check the calendar of events at www.unt.edu. If you want anything else specific you can PM me about food or arts or whatever. I love traveling and sharing travel notes and tips, so after I moved to Texas I tried to experience as much all over the state as possible.

1100+ on-campus concerts a year, guys and gals.

• Upvote 1

Just trying to spread the word that there is more to our state than spuds.

Of course there is. When Washington went non-smoking, Moscow became a haven for butt sucking Cougars making the short drive across the border!

Seriously, though. Welcome to the board. I've enjoyed your posts. I have no connection to Idaho whatsoever save a girl I briefly dated from there in high school. I recall she was a bit perturbed by the potato thing too.

I want to thank harry, greenpie and MeanGreenGem for posting on our site. I will be at the game, along with others I am meeting in Irving. I will fly into Dallas-FW on Thurs and leave on Labor Day. My Vandal niece living in Irving has all kinds of sites to see, as this is m first trip into Texas.

Here is a pretty good primer that was posted by our mod, SeaVandal, today. It may give you all the basics as to what is going on in Moscow. Here's to a lot of fun, no player injuries and great "new Texas friends".

http://idaho.scout.com/2/1313302.html

Edited by joeyvee
  • Upvote 3

How's the wheat, barley, pea, lentil, bluegrass, and canola harvest looking this year?

I want to thank harry, greenpie and MeanGreenGem for posting on our site. I will be at the game, along with others I am meeting in Irving. I will fly into Dallas-FW on Thurs and leave on Labor Day. My Vandal niece living in Irving has all kinds of sites to see, as this is m first trip into Texas.

Here is a pretty good primer that was posted by our mod, SeaVandal, today. I may give you all the basics as to what is going on in Moscow. Here's to a lot of fun, no player injuries and great "new Texas friends".

http://idaho.scout.com/2/1313302.html

If you have time to kill at DFW airport on your way out try Saltlick bbq in A terminal. It's not as good as the real Saltlick in Driftwood but it's tasty. Either way make sure you have some bbq and wash it down with a Shiner Ruby Red. Or several Shiners...

FYI, even if you don't like the Cowboys the stadium tour is super cool for any football fan. My friend who is a Redskins fan enjoyed it.

Have a safe trip and hopefully fun! Cheers!

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

Thanks DE. Will do the bbq for sure. We have a new HC and have things going in the right direction. I went to one spring scrim and could see a whole new culture there --- discipline, fundamentals, conditioning. He has a good infusion of JC kids to add depth. It will take time. We appeared to be going strong with that 2009 Bowl win over Bowling Green, then the wheels fell off and things got messy. I watched UNT play us when they would come up here in the past. Great school and great football tradition. We will be a much improved team, IMHO. The Independent schedule turned out nice. Then next season we are in the SB, thanks to you guys!!! LOL, you really did help us on the conference thing. Back to the SB for us and we are happy with that. Independent status would have been tough to keep. Good luck in your debut in C-USA.

• Upvote 3

Then next season we are in the SB, thanks to you guys!!! LOL, you really did help us on the conference thing. Back to the SB for us and we are happy with that. Independent status would have been tough to keep. Good luck in your debut in C-USA.

Here's something I've wondered. With ya'll joining the Sun Belt, that has to put ya'll in contention with Hawai'i with the most difficult travel arrangements to endure. Is the SB going to assist in this in any way, or is the Idaho admin just biting the bullet and are happy that they've got a conference home?

• Upvote 1

YYou might want to try Fuzzy's as well. It's just off the Denton Square. Great food. But definitely don't miss the BBQ with a cold Shiner Bock. Several good places. Unfortunately....I won't be able to make this game..being out of town and all. Should be a great one.

Thanks DE. Will do the bbq for sure. We have a new HC and have things going in the right direction. I went to one spring scrim and could see a whole new culture there --- discipline, fundamentals, conditioning. He has a good infusion of JC kids to add depth. It will take time. We appeared to be going strong with that 2009 Bowl win over Bowling Green, then the wheels fell off and things got messy. I watched UNT play us when they would come up here in the past. Great school and great football tradition. We will be a much improved team, IMHO. The Independent schedule turned out nice. Then next season we are in the SB, thanks to you guys!!! LOL, you really did help us on the conference thing. Back to the SB for us and we are happy with that. Independent status would have been tough to keep. Good luck in your debut in C-USA.

• Upvote 1

The guy's from the Pacific Northwest area. He doesn't want a Shiner. He knows what good beer actually tastes like.

Shots fired!

In all honesty, if you want the best beer Texas has to offer you should skip Shiner. Try St. Arnold or some of the local DFW breweries like Deep Ellum, Rhar, or Denton's own Armadillo Ale Works.

• Upvote 2

Here's something I've wondered. With ya'll joining the Sun Belt, that has to put ya'll in contention with Hawai'i with the most difficult travel arrangements to endure. Is the SB going to assist in this in any way, or is the Idaho admin just biting the bullet and are happy that they've got a conference home?

DE, we are in football only in SB, so with what, six to seven conference games, that means three to four trips down in SB (or to New Mexico). Texas State and NMSU have been with us in the now no-football WAC, so travel there is old stuff. Our other sports are in the Big Sky Conf starting 2014 and have one year left in the WAC. Basically, we can handle this. At one time, with UNT (I believe), all of our sports teams were in the SB for a run of 3 to 4 years before we went to the WAC. We are happy, along with NMSU, to just be Independent this season. NMSU has quite the Independent schedule of a variety of teams, as do we. We both survived that initial "scheduling challenge" going Indy.

• Upvote 1

Shots fired!

In all honesty, if you want the best beer Texas has to offer you should skip Shiner. Try St. Arnold or some of the local DFW breweries like Deep Ellum, Rhar, or Denton's own Armadillo Ale Works.

There's also a new brewery out of Ft. Worth called Martin House. They sell a couple varieties at Central Market: Imperial Texan and Daybreak. Both are very good.

• Upvote 1

The guy's from the Pacific Northwest area. He doesn't want a Shiner. He knows what good beer actually tastes like.

Dude those are fighting words in here. Shiner bock is one of the greatest beers mankind ever made.