Idaho Vandal fans talk UNT game...And We Talk Beer

Harry

Dude those are fighting words in here. Shiner bock is one of the greatest beers mankind ever made.

I'll never say Shiner is bad, but with the explosion of craft breweries in Texas the past few years its fallen way off my radar. I hardly ever buy Shiner anymore, unless I'm in the mood for a Ruby Red or Holiday Cheer. Edited by UNTcrazy727

Obviously, with how big (re: mass-produced) Shiner has become, they're not going to stack up well with smaller craft breweries. But it's REALLY hard to find a bock beer that beats Shiner at your local grocery store here in D/FW.

By the time any Northwestern brew gets shipped down here, it's going to taste like crap, and vice versa. No need in arguing unless you've been to both breweries and had them off a tap. Even then, it's simply an opinion.

Obviously, with how big (re: mass-produced) Shiner has become, they're not going to stack up well with smaller craft breweries. But it's REALLY hard to find a bock beer that beats Shiner at your local grocery store here in D/FW.

By the time any Northwestern brew gets shipped down here, it's going to taste like crap, and vice versa. No need in arguing unless you've been to both breweries and had them off a tap. Even then, it's simply an opinion.

36g62u.jpg

• Upvote 1

The guy's from the Pacific Northwest area. He doesn't want a Shiner. He knows what good beer actually tastes like.

I just did a brewery tour down the west coast. Very fun. However, Shiner Ruby Red is still the perfect summer beer.

Not to mention I ride the Shiner G.A.S.P every year. When you cycle 100 miles and end at the brewery, it's the best damn beer you will ever drink. Same goes for the brats.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 1

I don't mean to poo-poo Shiner. It just doesn't do it for me. I don't understand the cult following it gets from many in Texas. I'd take a Ziegenbock over it any day. Honestly though, both would be one of my last choices of beer to enjoy. I will be honest and admit I haven't tried many of their offerings.

I envy your tour UNTexas. I've been trying to string that up for a couple years but haven't managed it yet.

Another TX brewery out there to try is Real Ale. I much enjoyed each brew I've tried of theirs. The Rye Pale Ale is a winner. I think I'll enjoy one tonight.

I don't mean to poo-poo Shiner. It just doesn't do it for me. I don't understand the cult following it gets from many in Texas. I'd take a Ziegenbock over it any day. Honestly though, both would be one of my last choices of beer to enjoy. I will be honest and admit I haven't tried many of their offerings.

I envy your tour UNTexas. I've been trying to string that up for a couple years but haven't managed it yet.

Another TX brewery out there to try is Real Ale. I much enjoyed each brew I've tried of theirs. The Rye Pale Ale is a winner. I think I'll enjoy one tonight.

Fireman's #4 is an easy-to-drink beer. I don't usually care much for blonde ales, but this one is pretty good.

I have had 20 different types of shiner (I keep my unique beer bottles) and I have enjoyed very few of them but I feel like I have to try them all...the 99 and 101 are my favorites by far...shiner is nothing special to me...couldn't even say when I had an actual shiner bock last...

Just bought some lawn ranger cream ale from cedar creek brewery out in east Texas...very refreshing...could easily be a session beer!

I love beer talk...

Another great area to do a quick brewery tour is Denver. Great time!

Raher & Sons beer is a very popular subject (and beer) over here in the Fort Worth area.

I think beer sales at Apogee on the student side would do more for student attendance than would be beyond

our wildest dreams.

GMG!

From the way other stadiums are going, beet sales is in the future of every stadium...

I wish UNT would hurry up and get beer for the masses.

Raher & Sons beer is a very popular subject (and beer) over here in the Fort Worth area.

I think beer sales at Apogee on the student side would do more for student attendance than would be beyond

our wildest dreams.

GMG!

I haven't had a good local beer and I've tried most of the local breweries.

It's not St. Arnold...

I need to try the Denton beer.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't had a good local beer and I've tried most of the local breweries.

It's not St. Arnold...

I need to try the Denton beer.

not a st. arnolds fan...armadillo farmhouse ale is bueno...you can get it at the midway mart off the square...and world market on 288 is having a tasting tomorrow from 1-4

You tried Revolver's free tasting event on Saturday's yet?

Rick

Revolver's Blood and Honey.......YUMMMM

Shiner is trash....people just like to mention it because it was (at one point) one of like 3 Texas beers but all were garbage. We in DFW are VERY LUCKY to have the craft beer explosion we have gotten. Is it any wonder that the many of the best in DFW have a very healthy selection of local beers? Having been to Big Texas Beer Fest and sampled most every brewery in DFW I find it very hard to choose a favorite.

For Summer beer though you have to stick with Mexican Beers and Blonde Ales.

For those of you Idaho Fans that are meeting up in Irving PLEASE PLEASE take 10 minutes to stop by Las Colinas Beverage to pick up your Beer Supply for tailgating. The guy (Nick) will fill your coolers with ice for free and has the best beer selection in between Irving and Denton. He will easily be able to give you some advice on the smaller brewery beers that he has in stock and find the one for you.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21184/?view=beerfly

https://plus.google.com/100305474571364516908/about?gl=us&hl=en