A New Era, A New Rival

Harry

- UTEP The Miners have rich history in both football and men’s basketball. In 2011, UTSA basketball beat UTEP in an early season non-conference game. On September 21, 2013 UTSA football plays the Miners in the historic Sun Bowl. Located a short direct flight away, El Paso and San Antonio offer fans of both teams easy travel options. In the long-term, UTEP could emerge as a major rival as the two schools square off in annual competition season after season.

- North Texas Denton is a quaint community located just north of Ft Worth. With many UTSA fans located in the DFW metropolis, a regional rivalry with the Mean Green makes sense. There has not been a recent history between the two schools so only time will tell.

Read more: http://smu.scout.com/2/1305097.html

Maybe head over to Del Frisco's on Thursday and you can meet some:

UTSA Alumni event in Dallas

DFW Chapter Planning Meeting

Thursday, July 18th, 2013

5:30-7:00 PM

Del Frisco's Grille

I wasn't saying that they didn't exist. . . . just making a general observation that I have honestly never met one. I've known numerous Southwest and UTEP grads that were huge fans of their respective alma maters. I've always been fairly vocal about my UNT allegiance, which tends to bring out others' affiliations in conversation as well. But if I've ever known a UTSA grad, he/she never made that commonly known.

If I could find the clever little twinkie that came up with the term "Metroplex", I would nail him to a wall, peel his skin off in one inch strips and feed them to the fishes. God, I hate that term.

If I could find the clever little twinkie that came up with the term "Metroplex", I would nail him to a wall, peel his skin off in one inch strips and feed them to the fishes. God, I hate that term.

some serious negative karma in this post. What is wrong with that word?

• Upvote 2

Associating Fort Worth in any way that links the city to Dallas is just plain wrong.

Anyone who has ever spent considerable time in both knows which one is the far better city.

Dallas = crime ridden dump.

Fort Worth = A city that is constantly working to revitalize old neighborhoods into destination areas (see Magnolia St. and the revitalized Fairmount neighborhood). Not to mention the almost complete lack of $30k millionaires that overrun the city to the east.

• Downvote 1

Associating Fort Worth in any way that links the city to Dallas is just plain wrong.

Anyone who has ever spent considerable time in both knows which one is the far better city.

Fort Worth = A city that is constantly working to revitalize old neighborhoods into destination areas (see Magnolia St. and the revitalized Fairmount neighborhood). Not to mention the almost complete lack of $30k millionaires that overrun the city to the east.

While i rarely leave my little box in downtown Fort Worth, I can really tell that city council is really proactive in making the city a nice place.

Our biggest rival will become La Tech

They might be ours. . . . But I'm not sure we'll be theirs. On the C-USA board, indications are that Southern Miss and La Tech will be each other's primary rivals. UTEP and UTSA look to be getting a "big brother/little sister" rivalry going. Tulsa's leaving the conference, and I just don't see us becoming Rice's primary rival with the complete difference in athletic and academic backgrounds.

If we start regularly beating folks, all that could change though.

• Upvote 1

They might be ours. . . . But I'm not sure we'll be theirs. On the C-USA board, indications are that Southern Miss and La Tech will be each other's primary rivals. UTEP and UTSA look to be getting a "big brother/little sister" rivalry going. Tulsa's leaving the conference, and I just don't see us becoming Rice's primary rival with the complete difference in athletic and academic backgrounds.

It's my belief that La Tech will gravitate toward us as a rival, because of the number of their alumni in the D/FW area, AND the number of potential new customers to be had in the D/FW area. Like them or not (I tend to fall into the not... I like LaLa better) they are good at self promotion. And the D/FW area is the best area to do that.

[/quote Good observations oldguystudent. The reasons I hate the word "metroplex" is that it is such an ugly and unpoetic term and, perhaps, because of the fact that I am a fifth generation Dallasite. I must agree, however that Ft. Worth is a great town and I always enjoy going there. It reminds me in many ways of old Austin before the traffic. It has better Jazzz clubs than Dallas and I never miss the annual Django Reinhardt festival.

It's my belief that La Tech will gravitate toward us as a rival, because of the number of their alumni in the D/FW area, AND the number of potential new customers to be had in the D/FW area. Like them or not (I tend to fall into the not... I like LaLa better) they are good at self promotion. And the D/FW area is the best area to do that.

LaTech already has an established rivalry with USM. They already consider them their #1 rival: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Tech_Bulldogs_football#Active_rivalries

It's not quite as intense on the Southern Miss side, but they still list LaTech as one of their top 4 rivalries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Miss_Golden_Eagles#Rivalries

Here's an article on "The Rivalry in Dixie": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivalry_in_Dixie

Being in the same conference and division with them will only bump up the intensity of that rivalry.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

LaTech already has an established rivalry with USM. They already consider them their #1 rival: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Tech_Bulldogs_football#Active_rivalries

It's not quite as intense on the Southern Miss side, but they still list LaTech as one of their top 4 rivalries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Miss_Golden_Eagles#Rivalries

Here's an article on "The Rivalry in Dixie": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivalry_in_Dixie

Being in the same conference and division with them will only bump up the intensity of that rivalry.

Things can quickly change. Especially when you are talking about a potentially bigger market for your product.

A matter of taste, greenminer. You know it when you see it. Or not.

Rice already has a primary rival and they will still be playing their 40+ year annual series for the coveted Bayou Bucket despite being in different conferences..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1