GMG.com Places to eat and drink in Denton -- 2013 version

Harry

Thanks for that great find, Harry.

"Pete" did tell me that Warren Beatty was with Faye Dunaway one particular afternoon. They filmed the "no money in the bank" scene at the Ponder State Bank which is owned by a Denton County acquaintance of mine (or last I heard it was).

Pete also told me Ms. Dunaway got on top one of the tables with a rose between her teeth and did a little fancy dancin' for the crowd. Funny how I can visualize Faye Dunaway doing just that, too. I have a copy of Bonnie and Clyde with outtakes and movie notes and even Warren Beatty holding up a newspaper (Harry Truman style) with headlines saying "World Premier of Bonnie and Clyde In Denton, Texas!"

GMG!

What's his name and I aren't communicating, but he is absolutely correct on Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty. Incidentally, that movie has held up well and is still a lot of fun to watch.

Ponder Steakhouse is amazing.

El Guapos was one of the most underwhelming/disappointing meals I have ever had. Just plain bad.

I was equally unimpressed with most of the stuff at Rooster's, especially the Brisket Queso. It just tasted like over-charred burnt ends in cheese, and not in a good way. The Pit Sandwich however, is killer. Recommend.

Mazatlan is still my favorite Tex-Mex in town but is in danger of being eclipsed by Villa Grande. Seriously, if you're in town, head to Rayzor Ranch and go to Villa Grande. Super nice people and really good food. And they got some good-ass margaritas.

With the Tomato only a hazy, delicious memory, my favorite pizza in town is TJ's. I still call it Texas Jive, and ever since the bar on Fry St closed and moved to only do food, they've stepped up their game. Best italian sausage you can get on a pizza in town.

Best kept secret in Denton? The Frito Pie at Sweetwater. When it's cold out and you have a sore throat, Sweetwater Frito Pit and a shot of Bourbon.

I miss old Sukho Thai, before they were bought by Sweet Basil. Sweet and Sour chicken the size of your fist, and beef basil. Mmmm. I survived on Sukho Thai 4 or 5 times a week for about a year.

Sukho Thai was great, and so freaking cheap! Then there was the place across the street, it was BBQ, Mexican, Asian, and maybe something else all in the span of just a few years. Anything that ended up in that spot was always good but never seemed to last long. Not sure what's there now.

Reading this thread makes me hungry! I worked at the Pizza Inn on Eagle all four years while at North Texas. I think it is gone now but if it is not, it should be!

Of all the places mentioned, the only one I remember is Ranchman's. What a great place that is. The last time I was in Denton ( 2 years ago, unfortunately), some of my old gang met there for a little reunion and it has not changed a bit!

But reading some of these other suggestions...truffle mayo, sushi ??? The only seafood served in Denton in the early 70s came from a Mrs. Paul's box.

Edited by letsgiveacheer

Reading this thread makes me hungry! I worked at the Pizza Inn on Eagle all four years while at North Texas. I think it is gone now but if it is not, it should be!

It's gone, but I don't remember what's there now. I used to hit that Pizza Inn for lunch periodically when living at Kerr.

I just chuckled aloud while sipping a Strongbow at Banter at that.

I just chuckled aloud while sipping a Strongbow at Banter at that.

Thank You for recommending 7 mile cafe. I've lived here for 15 years & I had never heard of it before. Went there this morning because of your post. Very delicious

Has anyone mentioned the late,great Texas Pickup near West Hall (before they tore it down)?

Their Redneck Muther' hamburgers and cheese fries were for certain "widow makers" but darn tasty!

Their chips and hot sauce weren't so bad, either.

Also, the State Club near Fry Street was also good in its hey-day. Remember their chicken tenders?:)

GMG!

• Upvote 1

1. You must've not been around to experience Beans when that little stairway across from the bar led to another room. Beans used to be roughly twice it's current size with another interior bar and restrooms ect... I like their new patio, but beans is still a shadow of its former self.

2. The bars you listed are fine and dandy... But there is still nothing in Denton that touches Lous if you like watching sports while you drink.

Oh wow, after reading others' posts, dang. I came here in mid-2009, so I guess I missed out on the peak of Bean's existence.

As a lot of people are saying, it's the concept of the store being there rather than the sign itself, and frankly the sign redo still looks horrid.

BONNIE and CLYDE had its premier at the Campus theatre.

As did the Oscar-winning documentary Gasland at one of the Thin Line Film Festivals a few years back.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone mentioned the late,great Texas Pickup near West Hall (before they tore it down)?

Their Redneck Muther' hamburgers and cheese fries were for certain "widow makers" but darn tasty!

Their chips and hot sauce weren't so bad, either.

Also, the State Club near Fry Street was also good in its hey-day. Remember their chicken tenders? :)

GMG!

The State Club had beers for .10...maybe a nickle!...as recently as 1999. I don't remember at all why that place ceased to exist, only that I didn't get to enjoy it more than once or twice before I was in the deep end of my studies.

• Upvote 1

What's so special about Denton Fuzzy's that you make it a must? You can find that chain almost anywhere now. Maybe you're not based in DFW?

I'm in Houston.

It was always a late night go to spot so there are a lot of good memories there.

There's one on Hwy 6 at Dulles in Missouri City. I've never been to either the Denton Fuzzy's or this one so I can't tell you anything more, but it's there.

http://www.fuzzystacoshop.com/locations/26874-fuzzys-taco-shop-missouri-city-tx

• Upvote 1

Also, the State Club near Fry Street was also good in its hey-day. Remember their chicken tenders? :)

Their burgers were hella good too. There was one, I think it was like a BBQ burger, really messy but oh so good. And they used decent beef so you could get a medium/medium rare burger that just added to the juiciness.

• Upvote 1

One thing I really miss from Texas and cannot get elsewhere is Chicken Fried Steak. I hope to get back to campus this fall. Any recommendations? I know they used to be great at Ranchman's.

Cartwright's Ranch House makes my favorite chicken fried steak in town.

• Upvote 1

There's one on Hwy 6 at Dulles in Missouri City. I've never been to either the Denton Fuzzy's or this one so I can't tell you anything more, but it's there.

http://www.fuzzystacoshop.com/locations/26874-fuzzys-taco-shop-missouri-city-tx

Fuzzy's is good but not good enough to drive outside the loop for. The Denton one was always a hangout spot after games/bars so that's why I go there.

To be honest, places like Torchy's Tacos are better.

One thing I really miss from Texas and cannot get elsewhere is Chicken Fried Steak. I hope to get back to campus this fall. Any recommendations? I know they used to be great at Ranchman's.

Now I'm going a ways back here letsgiveacheer, but I'd bet you and a few others on this board would remember Underwood's BBQ out near Newton Razors ranch on University Drive? Believe it or not, there is still an Underwoods open in Brownwood, Texas, because I've eaten there a few times.

And here is my New York Subway order, Harry: The whole #2 pressed ham, their great house dressing, cut the cheese but put everthing else on it. Then add a large bag of Lays pototato chips and one of their huge dill pickles! Nirvana! : (I ordered that same sub sandwhich when their store was actually located in the building next door (formerly a 7-11 store that had a smaller add-on shop attached to that 7-11).

To Older UNT Alums: What was that nice Dennys'esque kind of place near TWU on east. University that used to have the best charbroiled hamburgers in Denton during the early 70's. It was located on or near Braums present location.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Now I'm going a ways back here letsgiveacheer, but I'd bet you and a few others on this board would remember Underwood's BBQ out near Newton Razors ranch on University Drive? Believe it or not, there is still an Underwoods open in Brownwood, Texas, because I've eaten there a few times.

And here is my New York Subway order, Harry: The whole #2 pressed ham, their great house dressing, cut the cheese but put everthing else on it. Then add a large bag of Lays pototato chips and one of their huge dill pickles! Nirvana! : (I ordered that same sub sandwhich when their store was actually located in the building next door (formerly a 7-11 store that had a smaller add-on shop attached to that 7-11).

To Older UNT Alums: What was that nice Dennys'esque kind of place near TWU on east. University that used to have the best charbroiled hamburgers in Denton during the early 70's. It was located on or near Braums present location.

GMG!

Would that be the Charcoal-Broiler?