Skyline All-American LB Anthony Wallace likely to enroll at UNT

Harry

Anthony Wallace, a former high school All-American who began his career at Oregon, said Tuesday that he will likely enroll at UNT within the next few weeks.

“UNT is my No. 1 right now,” Wallace said. “That is where I’m going to end up going. I am trying to enroll and schedule a sit-down with the coaches.”

Wallace, an inside linebacker, was a three-year starter at Skyline and played in the Under Armour All-America Game. He was a consensus top 150 players nationally in the Class of 2011 and signed with Oregon.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/05/breaking-news-former-skyline-all-american-lb-likely-to-enroll-at-unt.html/

Wow! This is huge. If family health is the reason for the transfer he could be eligible to play this year. I know, we're North Texas so don't hold your breath.

I know it's not likely , but let's say he is eligible this season. Do the coaches consider the move to A 3-4? Gotta play to the strengths of your personnel IMO

• Upvote 2

I know it's not likely , but let's say he is eligible this season. Do the coaches consider the move to A 3-4? Gotta play to the strengths of your personnel IMO

I doubt that Skaldany will move away from the 4-3 but you raise an interesting question. Still this would be a nice problem to have.

I really like the idea of a 3-4, seeing how deep we are at linebacker and how thin we are at defensive line.

The fact that we'd only need 3 defensive lineman on the field at a time sounds good in theory, but one of the most important positions in a 3-4 is a true nose guard who isn't so much a playmaker, but a tough guy for the center and guard to combo up to the linebackers against.

Sir Calvin Wallace comes to mind as a guy who could potentially see a lot of snaps at the nose eating up the blocks, but we need at least two others who could rotate at nose. On the other hand, Syd Moore, Alex Lincoln, Brandon Mccoy, and Ryan Boutwell would be really good fits as 3-4 defensive ends (3 techniques) and Chad Polk would be well suited for the Jack/Leo position. Think the position that Demarcus Ware plays as a standup defensive end/linebacker in the 3-4. Bellazin could be pretty effective as a standup pass rusher as well.

Only downside about the 3-4 is it's pretty complicated to learn but we could have some 3-4 packages put in to utilize our strengths, as you said.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

That would be awesome, but I just dont think we have the big uglies up front to allow Orr and Wallace to roam in a 3-4.

They would have to contend with some guard who moves up to block on run plays or a guard could pick them up if they blitzed on a pass play since we don't have a block-eating nose tackle.

EDIT: Billy said it better above. :stupid: Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 2

Harry, this is a great pickup for UNT. We recruited him pretty hard out of HS and threw everything plus the kitchen sink to get him on campus but he was hellbent on playig in the PAC. (Not even the whorns could get him to visit). This is the highest profile player McCarney has ever brought in. Transfer or not, he's probably the most highly recruited player brought in by UNT in the last 25 years at least.

If you guys can get him on the field this year, that will be a massive step up for your defense.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 5

He played the last two years and the Oregon website has him listed at 6'0" and 235lbs. Rivals had him listed coming out of high school as 6'2" and 220.

I love it! 6'0" in college but 6'2" in high school. When I was in high school I got moved up to varsity my sophomore year and I was about 5'10" weighed about 175, and my head coach listed me as 6'0" and 195. He also order me a XXL letter jacket and told me I had to grow into it. I think I grew into it when I was about 25.

• Upvote 1

If he has not played football in a year or so is it possible he does not weigh 220 anymore? Heck he could be a d lineman for all we know now. Either way, he has talent and I am excited!

He's listed as playing as late as last November or December. So, his physical stats may have changed, but I'm sure his talent hasn't diminished. Oh man, a potential future Demarcus Ware/Joe Greene player? DE/LB?

• Upvote 1