Dave Campbell's Texas Power Poll

DeepGreen

Clearly drinking the UTSA Kool-Aid. However, I'd expect them to go 6-6 even though most don't want to hear that.

Anyway, maybe I'm drinking the green Kool-Aid but we aren't weak in really any area, except maybe D-line. We have options at QB, a strong, young D and explosive wide receivers. Best O-line in CUSA...so maybe I don't get all this negativity? Our players look faster, bigger and stronger...we appear to be ready to make that jump next year. As long as Mac lets Chico do his thing, I'm expecting our breakout year. Very easy schedule, too. We were quite close to 5-7 with an extremely difficult schedule. The ULL game showed me this team has it in them, they just need to channel that week in and week out and I think we do.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

My 2013 Texas Pre-season Power Poll (for anyone who cares).

1. Texas A&M

2. Baylor

3. TCU

4. Texas

5. Texas Tech

6. Houston

7. Rice

8. SMU

9-13. A toss-up between Texas State, UTEP, North Texas, UTSA and yes, Sam Houston

You've got a good solid poll.

• Upvote 2

Clearly drinking the UTSA Kool-Aid. However, I'd expect them to go 6-6 even though most don't want to hear that.

Anyway, maybe I'm drinking the green Kool-Aid but we aren't weak in really any area, except maybe D-line. We have options at QB, a strong, young D and explosive wide receivers. Best O-line in CUSA...so maybe I don't get all this negativity? Our players look faster, bigger and stronger...we appear to be ready to make that jump next year. As long as Mac lets Chico do his thing, I'm expecting our breakout year. Very easy schedule, too. We were quite close to 5-7 with an extremely difficult schedule. The ULL game showed me this team has it in them, they just need to channel that week in and week out and I think we do.

You're clearly underestimating the strength of CUSA, even in its current weakened state. This year's schedule conference-wise is much tougher.

2012 2013

LSU Idaho

Texas Southern Ohio U

Kansas State Ball State

Troy Georgia

FAU Tulane

UH MTSU

U-LaLa La Tech

MTSU Southern Miss

Ark State Rice

USA UTEP

ULM UTSA

WKU Tulsa

I'm telling you right now, that these teams are far far more powerful then what you've been seeing for the past 10 years (though last year was imo an anamoly) You guys have received front row tickets to Hell. I'm sorry but you had dogfights against FAU and USA plus lost to a very weak Troy team who lost to FAU, Tulsa, La Tech, Southern Miss and perhaps Tulane will eat you guys alive.

Regarding the QB situation, BB should have blown DT away according to the fantasies of many posters here. From what I've observed, DT will continue to be your starting qb.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd say it looks like this to me:

1. Texas A&M

2. TCU

3. Texas

4. Baylor

5. Houston

6. Texas Tech

7. SMU

8. Rice

9. UNT

10. UTEP

11. UTSA

12. Texas State

Sadly, 9-12 are basically interchangeable right now. Of course, the choices between 2-4 probably are, too, as well as that next group, 5-8. I will say it again, but UTSA better be a win in 2013. If we cannot beat them, in this our 19th year back as a FBS program, not even counting our long history before that, we need to seriously look at whether FBS football is the correct level for our program. There is just no way that a school in its first year as a FBS school (and third as a program) should be able to even compete with a program like ours, home or away. I just don't see UTSA winning more than one game this fall.

I will say it again, but UTSA better be a win in 2013. If we cannot beat them, in this our 19th year back as a FBS program, not even counting our long history before that, we need to seriously look at whether FBS football is the correct level for our program. There is just no way that a school in its first year as a FBS school (and third as a program) should be able to even compete with a program like ours, home or away. I just don't see UTSA winning more than one game this fall.

My feelings exactly. You have them winning one more game than I am predicting. And if they do manage to get that one win against UNT.............................jihad will break loose across the Mean Green Nation.

• Upvote 1

You're clearly underestimating the strength of CUSA, even in its current weakened state. This year's schedule conference-wise is much tougher.

2012 2013

LSU Idaho

Texas Southern Ohio U

Kansas State Ball State

Troy Georgia

FAU Tulane

UH MTSU

U-LaLa La Tech

MTSU Southern Miss

Ark State Rice

USA UTEP

ULM UTSA

WKU Tulsa

I'm telling you right now, that these teams are far far more powerful then what you've been seeing for the past 10 years (though last year was imo an anamoly) You guys have received front row tickets to Hell. I'm sorry but you had dogfights against FAU and USA plus lost to a very weak Troy team who lost to FAU, Tulsa, La Tech, Southern Miss and perhaps Tulane will eat you guys alive.

Regarding the QB situation, BB should have blown DT away according to the fantasies of many posters here. From what I've observed, DT will continue to be your starting qb.

The Belch was a far stronger conference than CUSA last year. So no, not really a step up in competition, at all. A step down, more like it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My feelings exactly. You have them winning one more game than I am predicting. And if they do manage to get that one win against UNT.............................jihad will break loose across the Mean Green Nation.

You know, if we lost to UTSA, I think the following would happen:

1.) A majority of posters on this site will be really pissed, some of whom will immediately quit following the program if changes didn't occur ASAP.

2.) Some posters on here will say that this is a real opportunity for UNT as we move forward and that everything in Denton is A-ok, just as long as we stay positive and never complain about anything that happens to our athletic department. They will tell us that our grades are much better and that we are molding great future husbands and fathers.

3.) The worst part of all this is that it probably won't even register in the minds of the hundreds of thousands of alums, students, faculty, administrators, BOR, or citizens of Denton if we lost to a startup program like UTSA. It wouldn't even matter.

• Upvote 2

2012 2013

LSU Idaho

Texas Southern Ohio U

Kansas State Ball State

Troy Georgia

FAU Tulane

UH MTSU

U-LaLa La Tech

MTSU Southern Miss

Ark State Rice

USA UTEP

ULM UTSA

WKU Tulsa

You should know as well as anybody, that these rankings don't really matter until the game is played. Not one team on this list is a LSU, Florida, Alabama, etc... caliber team, so anything can happen. Kind of like Texas State @ San Marcos beating Houston last year.

• Upvote 1

If we lost to UTSA I would probably be out. I know many folks have sat through many more losing seasons than I have but that would be the last straw after 8 years of futility. And the unfortunate part is that scenario is a very real possibility.

Also, I'm not convinced our o line is the best in CUSA or will even be in the top half. I understand the o line gets a lot of praise for Thompson not getting sacked often last year, but it's not like we were blowing away opponents in the run game. I routinely see our defensive line getting washed 5 yards downfield, I didn't see our offensive line doing that to anyone last season. I hope that Johnson-YBarbo-Lemon being together for the third year straight will pay off this year along with Lachris who got PT last season but I am not going to call this unit the best in CUSA by any means.

Greater Jihad will erupt with a loss to Idaho, a distinct possibility

Every thread may be locked down in the wake of an Idaho loss.

That is the one game this year that this program cannot afford to lose. We play UTSA later in the year and a loss may be stomachable, depending on our overall record.

Lose to Idaho after what happened in basketball season, and I think the AD would need to fortify their offices.

• Upvote 1

You know, if we lost to UTSA, I think the following would happen:

1.) A majority of posters on this site will be really pissed, some of whom will immediately quit following the program if changes didn't occur ASAP.

2.) Some posters on here will say that this is a real opportunity for UNT as we move forward and that everything in Denton is A-ok, just as long as we stay positive and never complain about anything that happens to our athletic department. They will tell us that our grades are much better and that we are molding great future husbands and fathers.

3.) The worst part of all this is that it probably won't even register in the minds of the hundreds of thousands of alums, students, faculty, administrators, BOR, or citizens of Denton if we lost to a startup program like UTSA. It wouldn't even matter.

Maybe, just maybe, someone will say something negative about the Green Brigade, too!

• Upvote 2

If we lost to UTSA I would probably be out. I know many folks have sat through many more losing seasons than I have but that would be the last straw after 8 years of futility. And the unfortunate part is that scenario is a very real possibility.

Also, I'm not convinced our o line is the best in CUSA or will even be in the top half. I understand the o line gets a lot of praise for Thompson not getting sacked often last year, but it's not like we were blowing away opponents in the run game. I routinely see our defensive line getting washed 5 yards downfield, I didn't see our offensive line doing that to anyone last season. I hope that Johnson-YBarbo-Lemon being together for the third year straight will pay off this year along with Lachris who got PT last season but I am not going to call this unit the best in CUSA by any means.

I think we have an outstanding line in both the running and passing game. The problem with our running game is that nobody respects our passing game and we are very predictable. It is hard to run against 8-9 guys in the box like we see alot of times. I think no matter who the QB is this season the offense will be less predictable due to (1)- the threat of the QB running (even if it is Thompson and for a minimal gain) and (2)- having actual multiple threats in the passing game (the WR position will be much improved this year).

Edited by glick1980
  • Upvote 1

Maybe, just maybe, someone will say something negative about the Green Brigade, too!

Nah, nobody would ever criticize that group around here...that is blasphemy in Denton. Some of us have no clue about marching bands or what they play each game, but even I wouldn't criticize them. I just think its funny how much this place revolves around them--I've never seen another school with a football team who has a band that is more important to the university than its football team. Nowhere else. Except in Denton.

Greater Jihad will erupt with a loss to Idaho, a distinct possibility

Every thread may be locked down in the wake of an Idaho loss.

That is the one game this year that this program cannot afford to lose. We play UTSA later in the year and a loss may be stomachable, depending on our overall record.

Lose to Idaho after what happened in basketball season, and I think the AD would need to fortify their offices.

I don't think so...Idaho has been playing FBS ball for awhile now. And becasue its the first game, a loss could be explained away in many ways. But if you lose to UTSA late in the year, after your entire team has been able to practice and play together for almost a full season, that would be the peak of embarrassment.

• Upvote 1

Nice to see folks already so positive about the season that starts about 4 1/2 months from now. Some already planning their "jumping ship" routines. Like UNT90 says...only at North Texas.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1