Dave Campbell's Texas Power Poll

DeepGreen

I don't think so...Idaho has been playing FBS ball for awhile now. And becasue its the first game, a loss could be explained away in many ways. But if you lose to UTSA late in the year, after your entire team has been able to practice and play together for almost a full season, that would be the peak of embarrassment.

Idaho is 2-0 in bowl games, has 10 conference championships, has an overall record of 443-569-26 and has been playing college football since 1893. They have more TIES than UTSA has total games! No, they haven't been very good lately but they certainly have more of a pedigree than UTSA does going into next season.

Nice to see folks already so positive about the season that starts about 4 1/2 months from now. Some already planning their "jumping ship" routines. Like UNT90 says...only at North Texas.

Really? Explain to me how "only at North Texas".

When I lived in Keller in 2005, our football team was the butt of every joke for beating up on no-name schools.

When TD was hired, our football team was the butt of every joke for hiring a high school football team.

When I came to UNT, I heard jokes non-stop about out football team.

When Apogee opened, I heard jokes about us not selling out our stadium.

When 10 people showed up for FAU game, I heard jokes about us still having crappy attendance.

When it looked like we could have our breakout year, we were actually WORSE, I heard jokes about us sucking again.

I have been here for 4 years now, and I can only take SO MUCH of BAD FOOTBALL and ridicule before you just give up. I'll just go back to casually watching college football and not caring; maybe I'll take an interest when I'm 50 and UNT throws together a 6-6 season playing ACU and UTSA.

This sounds bad, but when I leave Denton, what incentive do I have to follow UNT football other than a 15K attendance and a surefire 4-8/5-7 season? A team in which 6-6 is considered a success?

I can only take so much beatdown. The basketball team broke my back. The football team has the possibility to just pull the plug on my paralyzed UNT fan...ship is the word I'm looking for, I guess.

My Dad's a Browns/Indians fan, I'm an Astros/Texans fan...which I root for these teams because I have always seen a light at the end of the tunnel. There's a brick wall at the end of the tunnel for UNT. We're stuck in a dying conference with another team that could very well catch lightning in a bottle and go 8-4 or easily go 4-8 again. Make your move now, NT. I think this is the tipping point of us dropping back into the 4-digit crowd territory. Rightfully so.

If we lose to Idaho, I might have a bonfire with my green gear in my apartment complex's greenbelt. Not to mention I have my entire family and a BUNCH of people coming to the game. Losing to the freaking Idaho Kibbles and Bits may make me want to just watch the stuff burn.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

When I lived in Keller in 2005, our football team was the butt of every joke for beating up on no-name schools.

When TD was hired, our football team was the butt of every joke for hiring a high school football team.

When 10 people showed up for FAU game, I heard jokes about us still having crappy attendance.

When it looked like we could have our breakout year, we were actually WORSE, I heard jokes about us sucking again.

I have been here for 4 years now, and I can only take SO MUCH of BAD FOOTBALL and ridicule before you just give up. I'll just go back to casually watching college football and not caring; maybe I'll take an interest when I'm 50 and UNT throws together a 6-6 season playing ACU and UTSA.

This sounds bad, but when I leave Denton, what incentive do I have to follow UNT football other than a 15K attendance and a surefire 4-8/5-7 season? A team in which 6-6 is considered a success?

I can only take so much beatdown. The basketball team broke my back. The football team has the possibility to just pull the plug on my paralyzed UNT fan...ship is the word I'm looking for, I guess.

My Dad's a Browns/Indians fan, I'm an Astros/Texans fan...which I root for these teams because I have always seen a light at the end of the tunnel. There's a brick wall at the end of the tunnel for UNT. We're stuck in a dying conference with another team that could very well catch lightning in a bottle and go 8-4 or easily go 4-8 again. Make your move now, NT. I think this is the tipping point of us dropping back into the 4-digit crowd territory. Rightfully so.

If we lose to Idaho, I might have a bonfire with my green gear in my apartment complex's greenbelt. Not to mention I have my entire family and a BUNCH of people coming to the game. Losing to the freaking Idaho Kibbles and Bits may make me want to just watch the stuff burn.

1) Wow...four years...that long...

2) You are obviously hanging around the wrong people. Either that or you can't take a joke or friendly sports "trash talk"...who cares what other people think?...give it back to them in spades...if you can't figure out how to do that...well...work on it. It can be fun.

3) Never ever throw down the gauntlet about what you "will or will not do" if "this or that happens"...makes one look foolish when they don't follow through on their hollow threats...I've seen that from several of our "fans"...makes me smile every time I see them! Don't be one of those.

4) There were not 10 people at the FAU game...some of your friends cannot count. Hyperbole is not good in these cases.

5) The incentive is that it is YOUR university of choice...that's plenty of incentive to keep following.

6) You seriously might need to get another interest or two...if this stuff "breaks your back" you are taking it way too seriously. There are so many bigger and more important things in life than whether UNT wins a game or not. Seriously....

7) Don't start fires in your apartment. The ownership and your neighbors, not to mention the police and fire departments, will not like that...and

8) I share your pain...it's tough to be Green, but Green we are...by choice I might add. Enjoy the ride...enjoy the time you spend...it goes by really quickly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And this is why Idaho is so important to retain what is left of this fan base. Much more important than UTSA.

There will be a big opening day crowd there, probably a very good showing by the students (why they keep coming back is puzzling, but I'm glad they do), and optimism and hope will be in the air.

A loss crushes that and probably leads to some shocking attendance numbers the rest of the year (cause if we don't beat Idaho, we damn sure don't beat Ohio or Ball St., which means an 0-4 start).

By far the a bigger "Can't lose" game than UTSA.

So your solution is just to take it as it comes and accept mediocrity because I attend UNT?

No, I demand better. As should every single UNT fan.

Sometimes playing hardball works.

Remember when the entire crowd at Ford Field walked out? Dawg Pound tore up the benches at Cleveland Municipal? Some call it bandwagoning, I call it being passionate. Funny story, the Cleveland Indians had a 400+ game sellout streak that was legit...then they started sucking, and now nobody goes. Bud Adams screws over Oiler fans and the taxpayers...people stopped going to the Oiler games. Astros move to the AL...cheap ass owner, CSN disaster...people stopped showing up. Yet we have a top 5 sellout streak in the MLB from the 2005-2007 era.

I think THAT's demanding better. And look what happens when you demand better?

Matt Millen got fired.

Browns got their team back.

Indians opened their pocketbook.

Houston gets a better football franchise and a new stadium.

Edited by meangreener
  • Downvote 2

And this is why Idaho is so important to retain what is left of this fan base. Much more important than UTSA.

There will be a big opening day crowd there, probably a very good showing by the students (why they keep coming back is puzzling, but I'm glad they do), and optimism and hope will be in the air.

A loss crushes that and probably leads to some shocking attendance numbers the rest of the year (cause if we don't beat Idaho, we damn sure don't beat Ohio or Ball St., which means an 0-4 start).

I have no clue why the students show up, either. We have a gigantic student showing for most games and UNT does a great job of instilling school spirit. Just win a FREAKING few games to keep them coming. They showed up in droves for TSU, I think even MORE will show up for Idaho (it's a recognizable name). But they'll never come back if we lose.

I, honestly, think the crowd will be in the 27-8K. We CANNOT lose.

Edited by meangreener

This is good logic. But the gaping hole is that Idaho goes back up to the Pacific Northwest to never be heard from again (and $400k richer at that!).

Whereas, if UNT were to lose to UTSA, that will get thrown in our faces EVERY SINGLE TIME we're going after the same recruits (which if we lose to UTSA, we'll be going after the same recruits) and we'll lose every time. UTSA is just down the road. They're in our conference *shudder*.

UTSA is a bigger "cant lose" game than any other game this year. The long-term implications are much greater.

What's horrible is that we're even worried about either of these freaking games. Both of these teams should be rolled, but I'm thinking both will be nail-biters.

This is good logic. But the gaping hole is that Idaho goes back up to the Pacific Northwest to never be heard from again (and $400k richer at that!).

Whereas, if UNT were to lose to UTSA, that will get thrown in our faces EVERY SINGLE TIME we're going after the same recruits (which if we lose to UTSA, we'll be going after the same recruits) and we'll lose every time. UTSA is just down the road. They're in our conference *shudder*.

UTSA is a bigger "cant lose" game than any other game this year. The long-term implications are much greater.

What's horrible is that we're even worried about either of these freaking games. Both of these teams should be rolled, but I'm thinking both will be nail-biters.

I doubt Idaho is a nail biter. UTSA, on the other hand.

So your solution is just to take it as it comes and accept mediocrity because I attend UNT?

Remember when the entire crowd at Ford Field walked out? Dawg Pound tore up the benches at Cleveland Municipal? Some call it bandwagoning, I call it being passionate. Funny story, the Cleveland Indians had a 400+ game sellout streak that was legit...then they started sucking, and now nobody goes. Bud Adams screws over Oiler fans and the taxpayers...people stopped going to the Oiler games. Astros move to the AL...cheap ass owner, CSN disaster...people stopped showing up. Yet we have a top 5 sellout streak in the MLB from the 2005-2007 era.

Matt Millen got fired.

You can demand all you want, but when the people in charge don't care about your demands enough to do anything, and there are no consequences for NOT doing anything, you are just demanding to deaf ears.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I have no clue why the students show up, either. We have a gigantic student showing for most games and UNT does a great job of instilling school spirit. Just win a FREAKING few games to keep them coming. They showed up in droves for TSU, I think even MORE will show up for Idaho (it's a recognizable name). But they'll never come back if we lose.

why on earth would you think the crowd for Idaho would be as large or larger than the crowd for UH in the first game of the new stadium evAR......you really think people are expecting this to be some magical season and they want to make sure they can tell everyone they were there for game one and all the others.....when even a large number of members here on green shunshine pumpers and smoke blowers .info don't think this season will be anything special other than perhaps going 6-6 and getting a bowl invite

maybe it is the new marketing campaign (this is your que DJ Plummy :ph34r: )

• Upvote 2

why on earth would you think the crowd for Idaho would be as large or larger than the crowd for UH in the first game of the new stadium evAR......you really think people are expecting this to be some magical season and they want to make sure they can tell everyone they were there for game one and all the others.....when even a large number of members here on green shunshine pumpers and smoke blowers .info don't think this season will be anything special other than perhaps going 6-6 and getting a bowl invite

WHOA! Hold the press!!

Is that GL2G predicting a 6-6 season and a bowl invite?? I always knew, deep down, you were a Mean Green fan for life. :thumbsu:

Matt Millen got fired.

So...how's all that demanding helping out the Cowboys, Mavs and Stars these days? Seems you are much more of a pro sports fan than a college one. Demand on....

meangreener, on 18 Apr 2013 - 11:21, said:

If we lose to UTSA, I'm thinking I may just quit watching UNT football.

It should be insta-firing offense, but that won't happen cos we are UNT.

Quitters never win? :)

Many of us have tried, meangreener, but you just keep coming back to all this--almost like its's a drug addiction. You can

take a break, be pissed at everybody, be happy with others but you keep coming back to UNT if you've ever been truly exposed which I'd

almost bet you have.

Honestly? Don't we all just want to see our school succeed and walk tall among the tallest because in our hearts we know that is where it belongs?

Many of our peer school's officials in CUSA must shake their heads after they visit Apogee, the Super Pit, the Mean

Green Village and observe that at UNT we have even more facility plans (hotel/conference center at Apogee for starters) and to the person each of that group

wondering when will this MG rocket take off and when it does you know they have to think--you best watch out and then you better get out of their way!

I recall a few of us posted that right after Dan McCarney was hired that Year 3 would be the turnaround year for his version of Mean Green football. We and he

need it to be a turnarou more than ever because aint it just flat out time for MG football to shine once again ? Year 3 was Coach Mac's role-model's Hayden Fry's turnaround year.

Fry won 5 his first year, then only 2 wins his second year in Denton and then Year 3 for Fry became the Mean Green's nationally recognized

coming out party--my junior year and WALA--I had eternal Mean Green fever.

The YouTube ballad below was actually performed by one of our Mean Green fans who actually quit all this, ie, the Mean Green scene and just look how it affected this poor old feller. Think twice before even thinking about quitting all this--I defer to the song below..

meangreener, you can take a sabbotical or a short vacation from all this in MG Country but............if you've truly been exposed and have ever developed a serious case of MG fever I assure you can really never totally quit all this..

Now here's that Mean Green Ballad From A UNT Fan Who Actually Did Quit. :(

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHA...HAHA....HAH! You guys didn't even get that many for your stadium grand opening where UH came to town (If we played UH at Amon Carter, there would be 50k there.) Hell, I don't think you guys even broke 20k when you played Louisiana-Lafayette on national tv. What makes you think you'll get that many for IDAHO?

Texas State and UTSA have been playin FBS ball for only 1 year and both of them outdraw UNT. Stop trying to act bigger than what you really are. We are DFW's team. Unlike you guys, we don't blame pro sports or other schools. We fill our stadium because we are somebody.

Hell, the skylines in both Dallas and Fort Worth have glowed TCU purple. :thumbsu:

38602648632129034183095.jpg

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HAHAHAHA...HAHA....HAH! You guys didn't even get that many for your stadium grand opening where UH came to town (If we played UH at Amon Carter, there would be 50k there.) Hell, I don't think you guys even broke 20k when you played Louisiana-Lafayette on national tv. What makes you think you'll get that many for IDAHO?

Texas State and UTSA have been playin FBS ball for only 1 year and both of them outdraw UNT. Stop trying to act bigger than what you really are. We are DFW's team. Unlike you guys, we don't blame pro sports or other schools. We fill our stadium because we are somebody.

Hell, the skylines in both Dallas and Fort Worth have glowed TCU purple. :thumbsu:

Nobody-likes-this-guy.jpg

If we lose to Idaho, I might have a bonfire with my green gear in my apartment complex's greenbelt. Not to mention I have my entire family and a BUNCH of people coming to the game. Losing to the freaking Idaho Kibbles and Bits may make me want to just watch the stuff burn. I have been an EAGLE football fan since freshman year on 61', and have seen good times as well as bad. Four years is a small window to base a decision as to whether or not to support UNT or not,both for you and your friends. Life just doesn't work that way, and I'm just not refering to sports. Best to you and yours in life,Ward White.

Froggy boy, you have your Big 12 now, so why you constantly over here gloatin' and taking victory laps?

Seems like the growth and potential of North Texas (which still dwarfs TCU as far as our entire DFW Metroplex constituency is concerned) still seems to intimidate you to some extent with UNT still representing some kind of pyschological threat to you as we all read what you actually post. Why does any of this matter? Yall would never play UNT for most of the modern era of the NCAA when we had our best teams and TCU which had some of the worst teams in the NCAA and SWC during a similar span of time. One helluva' scheduling modus operendi for TCU most would say.

FWIW, I remember for much of my adult life (I was born 1950) that if you took all those visiting Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders

Arkansas, Baylor fans, etc, etc, etc, and erased their traveling fans from Amon Carter Stadium's turnstile numbers thru the decades just how

small your home crowds would have actually been in Fort Worth. On the other hand, what if North Texas had had that same luxury of having

such large numbers of traveling fans coming to Denton annually? I would bet your old timer alums know exactly what I am talking about

with that. (In fact I remember in the early to mid 70's when TCU hosted DKR's Texas Longhorns during a snow game at ACS with

an "announced" 20K (+/-) in attendance. (Wonder how many of that crowd were Froggie fans)?

And several yrs. ago North Texas hosted TAMU in Texas Stadium with approximately 50,000 in attendance. It was quite a visual spectacle for

those of us who were there. Yet this begs the question: When did TCU draw a similar attendance against the Aggies in almost 100

years of your school's having played Texas A&M in Fort Worth?

NOTE: Yes, the Aggies probably had 50-55% of that crowd at Texas Stadium but so the hell what? Wasn't that UNT merely using the old "SWC private school" formula for having good home attendance numbers to turn into the FWST Sunday boxscores albeit those particular SWC schools had to use the opponent's traveling fan's attendance to get such lofty numbers?

Moral of post? Don't judge North Texas until you check TCU's attendance numbers during your school's losing years and even as an SWC school

just how did your Froggies draw during all those losing years when yall played schools who brought no traveling fans? I know the answer to that question--do you?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

GL2Greatness, on 18 Apr 2013 - 17:47, said:

Now I know who that poster was on the MWC forum and "DJ Plummy" gave it all away, uh, GL2Greatness. LOL!

When will you divulge who you are and what your affiliation to either UNT and/or TSU-SM actually is?

To quote the great Ross Perot.............I'm all ears! :)

A bonafide & aggressive NCAA FBS level type of marketing program (copy someone elses success?) would solve many of our problems at UNT and probably save a few jobs, too. I like to see good things happen to nice people which we have at UNT, but in Denton we still must have the same criteria for success the other 120 plus FBS schools have to use. UTSA's marketing successes has obviously impressed me (and others) with their short history in the NCAA. Their goal and objective of significant butts in seats seems to have been reached IMHO. How many of us would kill to see 40,000 fans trying to get into Apogee Stadium?

Even at a much smaller scale marketing has worked for my small business which keeps most my weekends busy now and for which I can easily & proudly say: I Did This! (and I did the "a bit wordy" website, too). www.soundworksdeejay.com

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Now I know who that poster was on the MWC forum and "DJ Plummy" gave it all away, uh, GL2Greatness. LOL!

When will you divulge who you are and what your affiliation to either UNT and/or TSU-SM actually is?

To quote the great Ross Perot.............I'm all ears! :)

A bonafide & aggressive NCAA FBS level type of marketing program (copy someone elses success?) would solve many of our problems at UNT and probably save a few jobs, too. I like to see good things happen to nice people which we have at UNT, but in Denton we still must have the same criteria for success the other 120 plus FBS schools have to use. UTSA's marketing successes has obviously impressed me (and others) with their short history in the NCAA. Their goal and objective of significant butts in seats seems to have been reached IMHO. How many of us would kill to see 40,000 fans trying to get into Apogee Stadium?

Even at a much smaller scale marketing has worked for my small business which keeps most my weekends busy now and for which I can easily & proudly say: I Did This! (and I did the "a bit wordy" website, too). www.soundworksdeejay.com

GMG!

damn DJ Plumm Plumm you JUST NOW figured that out :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

and I liked your website way back when ot first started, but at least you are still using Microsoft Frontpage :stuff: ....I was sad to see DJ Karen is married :(

and for the record I am saying 3-8 or 4-7 this season with a loss to UTSA or Idaho (one or the other maybe even both)

• Upvote 1

38602648632129034183095.jpg

Such a D-bag you are.

I'll bet you haven't been a TCU fan for more than 8 years and I'd put the odds at better than even that you never even attended TCU.

Just another loud mouth T-Shirt fan showing how big a man he his by picking on the skinny little 15 year old.

I picture you shpwing up to TCU games by yourself, dressed only in shorts and Keds kicks with TCU misspelled on your chest in the wrong shade of purple, roaming from tailgate to tailgate trying to make friends, but getting kicked out because you no one likes (or knows) you. You also didn't consider that it may not be a smart thing to wear your Walmart shorts when mingling with a Neiman's crowd.

You don't have tickets for the game, cause you can't afford the $10 endzone seats, so you slink back home to your grandma's house (cause even your mom doesn't love you), crack open your 14th Schaffer (I mean, the game DID have a noon start, after all), fire up your first generation Dell desk top, and go to GMG to make yourself feel better about your sad plight.

Pretty dead on, eh?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

no one has addressed the funniest part of this thread - TCU with a t-shirt wearing fan? Really? TCU?

Again North Texas has a better chance at the BCS than TCU does in 2013 and in the coming decades.

GMG

damn DJ Plumm Plumm you JUST NOW figured that out :lolu: :lolu: :lolu: :lolu:

and I liked your website way back when ot first started, but at least you are still using Microsoft Frontpage :stuff: ....I was sad to see DJ Karen is married :(

and for the record I am saying 3-8 or 4-7 this season with a loss to UTSA or Idaho (one or the other maybe even both)

We play 12 games buddy.
  • Upvote 1

ACTUALLY I'm an alumnus. (Class of 2008 mind you). Second, that rant you just went on was what I expect from my 11 year old brother and you're what? 42? 43? Get it together man.

Such a D-bag you are.

I'll bet you haven't been a TCU fan for more than 8 years and I'd put the odds at better than even that you never even attended TCU.

Just another loud mouth T-Shirt fan showing how big a man he his by picking on the skinny little 15 year old.

I picture you shpwing up to TCU games by yourself, dressed only in shorts and Keds kicks with TCU misspelled on your chest in the wrong shade of purple, roaming from tailgate to tailgate trying to make friends, but getting kicked out because you no one likes (or knows) you. You also didn't consider that it may not be a smart thing to wear your Walmart shorts when mingling with a Neiman's crowd.

You don't have tickets for the game, cause you can't afford the $10 endzone seats, so you slink back home to your grandma's house (cause even your mom doesn't love you), crack open your 14th Schaffer (I mean, the game DID have a noon start, after all), fire up your first generation Dell desk top, and go to GMG to make yourself feel better about your sad plight.

Pretty dead on, eh?

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1