What players got your attention in the Spring Game?

GrayEagle

What players were better than expected and got your attention?

My number one is James Jones. Although he did get beat once for a TD, he was all over the field defending passes. He had an interception and I noticed tight coverage on his man nearly every time.

Darius Terrell made several grabs...usually in traffic. We knew that he was supposed to be good and he didn't disappoint.

Carlos Harris. He did a credible job last year replacing Chancellor but he was a force Saturday. I believe that he may have been the only one to have beaten James Jones all day.

Darnell Smith was also rather impressive. He will contend for a starting position this fall. The least impressive receiver this game was Brelan Chancellor. He had a couple of drops which is unusual for the sure-handed receiver.

Aaron Bellazin and Chad Polk. This speed tandem at defensive end may give opponents fits. That combination is really working because a tackle cannot drop back quickly enough to hold them off. The duo may not be effective on some running plays but there are others capable who sat out this game.

Another DE that didn't disappoint was Jerrian Roberts. He seemed a little faster than I expected and seemingly could play linebacker, if needed.

Richard Abbe continues to get better and could be pretty solid this fall. His loss of weight has improved his quickness and makes we wish he had another year of eligibility.

I also saw that Sir Calvin Wallace has overcome reported malaise and was really active in this scrimmage. He could have a chance to start this fall over the oft-injured Ryan Boutwell and the underweight Alex Lincoln. At the least, he should get some substantial minutes.

One other player that I noticed was Robert Lewis. Unknown to me, the apparently undersized, inexperienced walkon middle linebacker did surprisingly well. Thinking I was looking at #30 (Roberts), it often turned out to be #50 (Lewis). He did a good job especially at stopping the Green's running game. My disappointment was that he was a senior. Where has he been?

Who are other players who improved their stock over the spring?

• Upvote 2

Carlos Harris caught my attention on offense and Lewis on defense, just because I heard his name called over and over again, but the biggest surprise to me was McNulty. His improvement is dramatic. While he will probably never be a Hall of Fame QB, the redshirt year did wonders for him.

• Upvote 1

What players were better than expected and got your attention?

My number one is James Jones. Although he did get beat once for a TD, he was all over the field defending passes. He had an interception and I noticed tight coverage on his man nearly every time.

Darius Terrell made several grabs...usually in traffic. We knew that he was supposed to be good and he didn't disappoint.

Carlos Harris. He did a credible job last year replacing Chancellor but he was a force Saturday. I believe that he may have been the only one to have beaten James Jones all day.

Darnell Smith was also rather impressive. He will contend for a starting position this fall. The least impressive receiver this game was Brelan Chancellor. He had a couple of drops which is unusual for the sure-handed receiver.

Aaron Bellazin and Chad Polk. This speed tandem at defensive end may give opponents fits. That combination is really working because a tackle cannot drop back quickly enough to hold them off. The duo may not be effective on some running plays but there are others capable who sat out this game.

Another DE that didn't disappoint was Jerrian Roberts. He seemed a little faster than I expected and seemingly could play linebacker, if needed.

Richard Abbe continues to get better and could be pretty solid this fall. His loss of weight has improved his quickness and makes we wish he had another year of eligibility.

I also saw that Sir Calvin Wallace has overcome reported malaise and was really active in this scrimmage. He could have a chance to start this fall over the oft-injured Ryan Boutwell and the underweight Alex Lincoln. At the least, he should get some substantial minutes.

One other player that I noticed was Robert Lewis. Unknown to me, the apparently undersized, inexperienced walkon middle linebacker did surprisingly well. Thinking I was looking at #30 (Roberts), it often turned out to be #50 (Lewis). He did a good job especially at stopping the Green's running game. My disappointment was that he was a senior. Where has he been?

Who are other players who improved their stock over the spring?

i also thought james jones did well, but he was beat on the interception play. it was dt underthrowing the receiver that resulted in the pick.

i was pleased with mckinney (sp?) at center for the plays that i watched. he's way too heavy right now, but i thought he did well against the first team d and when he got his hands on someone he controlled them. he probably needs to drop 30-35 lbs.

mcnulty impressed me, but the fumbles left a bad taste in my mouth.

i also thought buyers did pretty well, especially against the run.

• Upvote 1

Impressive:

#6 Hilbert Jackson. This kid is always around the ball and making plays. Besides Lee he is the hardest hitter we have in the secondary. Great size for the position as well.

#18 Jamall Marshall. WOW this kid has some serious potential. If he can put on 10-15 lbs by the fall we will have a real player....probably the most potential on the team.

#44 Aaron Bellazin. Besides Orr, he is by far our best player on D. He is going to have a huge season.

#70 Sir Calvin. He is really starting to shine...he has long arms and looks like a D1 DT. We really need him to step up so we can have a solid 4 man rotation at DT.

I wish I could say a QB was impressive, but I am just not impressed with either DT or Mac. Both these guys look like average high school players...not D1 QBs. DT cant get any velocity on his throws and rarely throws a tight spiral...com'n man. Brock needs to step up because its evident he has the most talent but the dude just cant seem to get on the field.

• Upvote 1

BB needs to stop reading his press clippings, and realize that it's up to him to win the job, it won't be handed to him. I will admit that he showed some glimpse of ability but still looked very green. He will need to mature in a hurry if he wins the job before the first game. I see why Mac feels McNulty was most improved player,

. He looks much different from the 2011 version.I also feel the wind Sat. affected all four QB's

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I thought the O-Line is what caught my eye. We look like a legit I-A line and there is depth. They sort of took the day of in spots but I really like seeing the depth and think they can hold their own in C-USA.

A lot of the signees were there at the game and man I cannot wait to see Wylie Rheinhardt at defensive end or tight end this Fall.. Emmitt and I saw the Pflugerville QB and he is a specimen -if he gets a year in the Wentrich program he could be a beast.

BB needs to stop reading his press clippings, and realize that it's up to him to win the job, it won't be handed to him. I will admit that he showed some glimpse of ability but still looked very green. He will need to mature in a hurry if he wins the job before the first game. I see why Mac feels McNulty was most improved player,

. He looks much different from the 2011 version.I also feel the wind Sat. affected all four QB's

We get it, your not a fan of Brock.

• Upvote 5

What press clippings does BB have to read? He didn't even get a mention in the FWST story. The kid injures his hamstring and all of a sudden people label him a diva who hasn't grasped the offense yet. Stupid.

I don't think he is a diva. My speculation that he is still learning the offense comes from observing him interacting with Canales all day during the scrimmage. I hope it clicks because he has athleticism that we have rarely, if ever, seen at the QB position in Denton. Reminds me of a bigger Scott Davis.

DT looks the same, just a little lighter, which is good and bad. His TD pass late was an excellent throw, but then his next one will be a wobbler down field. It is frustrating because he has all the physical tools.

McNulty stood out to me. Poised in the pocket, pretty consistent throwing the ball except for one at a wide open receivers feet. His glaring weakness is having an awareness of pressure and protecting the ball.

• Upvote 4

I don't think he is a diva. My speculation that he is still learning the offense comes from observing him interacting with Canales all day during the scrimmage. I hope it clicks because he has athleticism that we have rarely, if ever, seen at the QB position in Denton. Reminds me of a bigger Scott Davis.

DT looks the same, just a little lighter, which is good and bad. His TD pass late was an excellent throw, but then his next one will be a wobbler down field. It is frustrating because he has all the physical tools.

McNulty stood out to me. Poised in the pocket, pretty consistent throwing the ball except for one at a wide open receivers feet. His glaring weakness is having an awareness of pressure and protecting the ball.

So, you say that McNulty benefitted from a redshirt year that allowed him to learn the offense, yet BB has a redshirt year but still needs to learn the offense?

Interesting.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yes. BB spent last year running the scout team. I wish Gill would have been given this job to allow BB to run and learn our system. McNulty needed to mature physically, which he has. I find it amazing that this has to be explained.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Yes. BB spent last year running the scout team. I wish Gill would have been given this job to allow BB to run and learn our system. McNulty needed to mature physically, which he has. I find it amazing that this has to be explained.

So you are saying our coaches didn't teach BB the offense in his redshirt year and just let him run the scout team?

The highest rated recruit ever at QB for this program, and you honestly believe he was not taught the offense in his redshirt year? Really?

So they concentrated on teaching McNulty the offense because he had matured physically? Really?

If this is true (which I don't believe for a second it is), Mac and Chico should be fired on the spot because of their refusal to develop BB.

McNulty matured physically? Unless his arm has matured and gained a buttload of strength, he is not the answer at QB. Not a complete impossibility, but highly unlikely.

I find it amazing that this has to be explained.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

So you are saying our coaches didn't teach BB the offense in his redshirt year and just let him run the scout team?

The highest rated recruit ever at QB for this program, and you honestly believe he was not taught the offense in his redshirt year? Really?

So they concentrated on teaching McNulty the offense because he had matured physically? Really?

If this is true (which I don't believe for a second it is), Mac and Chico should be fired on the spot because of their refusal to develop BB.

McNulty matured physically? Unless his arm has matured and gained a buttload of strength, he is not the answer at QB. Not a complete impossibility, but highly unlikely.

I find it amazing that this has to be explained.

Being taught the offense and running it daily with multiple repetitions is totally different. I could read and learn a playbook in no time, but it is a little different when you are actually running the plays.

Yes, McNulty has matured physically. Most young men do that between the ages of 18 and 20, some continue a few years after that. Many also mature emotionally, and unfortunately some don't. Read into that what you want.

• Upvote 1

Being taught the offense and running it daily with multiple repetitions is totally different. I could read and learn a playbook in no time, but it is a little different when you are actually running the plays.

Yes, McNulty has matured physically. Most young men do that between the ages of 18 and 20, some continue a few years after that. Many also mature emotionally, and unfortunately some don't. Read into that what you want.

So all those reps McNulty got as the 3rd team QB during last season were so mucho re than BB got, so much so that he has developed far faster than BB?

Ok, I guess...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Didn't McNulty play as a freshman, including a start? Wouldn't that aid in his understanding of the offense as well?

Scored the first ever TD in Apogee as a freshman.

(But of course him playing was only due to some sort of non-relations nepotism on Macs part.)

Edited by adman

So all those reps McNulty got as the 3rd team QB during last season were so mucho re than BB got, so much so that he has developed far faster than BB?

Ok, I guess...

He played as a freshman quite a bit, in fact, scored the first TD at Apogee as adman noted. Again, executing the plays in live action is much different than reading it in a book. Dear Lord.

He played as a freshman quite a bit, in fact, scored the first TD at Apogee as adman noted. Again, executing the plays in live action is much different than reading it in a book. Dear Lord.

And he was pretty bad in live action his freshman year (see the Tulsa game) and has had NO ACTION since.

It just non-sensical to say McNulty improved because of his redshirt year yet Burgland's redshirt year held him back.

Brock not passing McNulty in Spring is a bad thing for this program, any way you slice it.

Go ahead tell me how offended you are by my post. ,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As mentioned before. I would be shocked if this wasn't Marc's plan all along. Of course, it could be that Berglund is that far behind, but I doubt it.

When he was ineligible, Mac talked him up at every opportunity to jab DT. Now that he is eligible, Mac uses the injury to publicly promote the other two. Just in time for summer motivation for all three.

Well played. All three still feel like they have a realistic shot at starting, and maybe they do.

• Upvote 1

Well played. All three still feel like they have a realistic shot at starting, and maybe they do.

But your theory dismisses actual performance on the field in Spring. DT was maybe the best, with McNulty slightly behind and Berglund a form third.

But no one actually won the job on the field. No one QB turned anyone's head.

So, ya, of course the job is open, because no one won it on the field.

Does that motivate the three front runners? I sure as hell hope so.