Texas State

buff64

$20 . Per semester hour will get you there quicker than our paltry $7. Increase.

DG, we can't ride the backs of students forever. By the way, there is an increase for something every semester. I know, I have a sophomore at UNT and it is not cheap. So, likes its been for a long time, it is time for alumni to step up. Curious, did you increase your donation this year? Lead by example!

Noticed that Texas State has raised their athletic budget from 8 million to 30 million over the past two years.

Not sure if it's that high quite yet, but it sure is rapidly increasing. Our donations are already on par with UNT and budget should be right there too.

And it shows through moves like hiring Danny Kaspar and increasing his pay to $270k base (was making ~$130k at SFA)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

DG, we can't ride the backs of students forever. By the way, there is an increase for something every semester. I know, I have a sophomore at UNT and it is not cheap. So, likes its been for a long time, it is time for alumni to step up. Curious, did you increase your donation this year? Lead by example!

Totally know what you mean. I was a student the first year they did the fee increase and saw it rise each year until it hit the state max of $20 p/ credit hour. For TXST, it was really our only immediate source of funding to commit to the success of our Athletics. We've been mediocre in FCS football (outside a nice playoff run) and terrible in basketball... this move made it clear that we had higher aspirations than the Southland Conference

• Upvote 1

$20 . Per semester hour will get you there quicker than our paltry $7. Increase.

So Texas State and UTSA are playing FBS football for all of what, two years now, but have in place a $20 maximum semester hour charge to tuition for athletics. North Texas, who has been playing FBS ball again sionce 1995, had to basically go "stealth" on the election to narrowly get approval for a fee that is half ($10) of Texas Freaking State and UTSA just to build a new stadium, which Texas State is just expanding on theirs, not building up from scratch, while UTSA doesn't even have to build anything right now due to playing in the Alamodome. HOwever, I do see that in 2013, we do charge $15/hr for the "Universites Center at Dallas"

I just don't get it...if we don't want to play FBS football around here, its ok. Just tell us that directly. Don't implicitly sabotage the program by not giving it a full effort. How can you compete with schools in your own conference or at your same level but only charge half of what they do, even though their enrollment is not terribly far from ours? Please explain this to me...

So Texas State and UTSA are playing FBS football for all of what, two years now, but have in place a $20 maximum semester hour charge to tuition for athletics. North Texas, who has been playing FBS ball again sionce 1995, had to basically go "stealth" on the election to narrowly get approval for a fee that is half ($10) of Texas Freaking State and UTSA just to build a new stadium, which Texas State is just expanding on theirs, not building up from scratch, while UTSA doesn't even have to build anything right now due to playing in the Alamodome. HOwever, I do see that in 2013, we do charge $15/hr for the "Universites Center at Dallas"

I just don't get it...if we don't want to play FBS football around here, its ok. Just tell us that directly. Don't implicitly sabotage the program by not giving it a full effort. How can you compete with schools in your own conference or at your same level but only charge half of what they do, even though their enrollment is not terribly far from ours? Please explain this to me...

Culture?

Well, the alumni arent serious either? How about the fee being some type of ratio as compared to what alumni/outside donors give? Seems to me that would show how serious WE are. Edited by Green Dozer

Well, the alumni arent serious either? How about the fee being some type of ratio as compared to what alumni/outside donors give? Seems to me that would show how serious WE are.

Every other university has this fee, without any restrictions (thanks for nothing, Dallas Lee). And their fee is greater than ours.

We can either decide to be a good value commuter school or decide to do things that every other university facing similar challenges do.

Well, the alumni arent serious either? How about the fee being some type of ratio as compared to what alumni/outside donors give? Seems to me that would show how serious WE are.

Well I doubt that either UTSA or Texas State are raising this fee to the maximum allowed under state law by also tagging it to some ratio of fundraising from the alumni. Its not a bad idea, but its not really effective to tie these two together. I just don't get it.

We are charging $15/hr for a "Universities Center in Dallas", but only $10 (out of a maximum of $20) for an athletics fee, which I also believe we pegged against Apogee being paid for and then goes away once that is done. UTSA has no stadium to deal with this and they charge $20/hr. Texas State is renovating their stadium and they charge $20/hr. But I forgot--neither of those schools have been named as a Top 100 Value University!! Stupid UTSA and Texas State--who would want to go to a school for anything other just classes to get their degree and never look back? We are killing you at "Cost of Attendance"!! We are ranked as a Top Value, while you foolishly pay more for something worthless like athletics...you'll never get anywhere as a universiity in connecting with your alumni doing something stupid like that.

I just don't get it. Seriously, this should be an outrage to everyone on this board and any alumni we know.

Well I doubt that either UTSA or Texas State are raising this fee to the maximum allowed under state law by also tagging it to some ratio of fundraising from the alumni. Its not a bad idea, but its not really effective to tie these two together. I just don't get it.

We are charging $15/hr for a "Universities Center in Dallas", but only $10 (out of a maximum of $20) for an athletics fee, which I also believe we pegged against Apogee being paid for and then goes away once that is done. UTSA has no stadium to deal with this and they charge $20/hr. Texas State is renovating their stadium and they charge $20/hr. But I forgot--neither of those schools have been named as a Top 100 Value University!! Stupid UTSA and Texas State--who would want to go to a school for anything other just classes to get their degree and never look back? We are killing you at "Cost of Attendance"!! We are ranked as a Top Value, while you foolishly pay more for something worthless like athletics...you'll never get anywhere as a universiity in connecting with your alumni doing something stupid like that.

I just don't get it. Seriously, this should be an outrage to everyone on this board and any alumni we know.

This is the 2nd time you've said this, and although they play in the Alamodome, they have to lease it. Do you think the Alamodome proprietors are just going to let UTSA use their stadium for nothing?

Every other university has this fee, without any restrictions (thanks for nothing, Dallas Lee). And their fee is greater than ours.

We can either decide to be a good value commuter school or decide to do things that every other university facing similar challenges do.

You know, I'm not even saying that being focused on being the best value-oriented commuter school is dead-ass wrong. I just think that the university owes it to us to just explicitly tell us what they want for our athletics AND how they are going to fund it AND why they won't fund it as fully as possible. If its because of that first sentence, that's fine. If its because we want to be known for music/fine arts/education in this state and region instead of athletics becasue it costs too much, that's fine, too. But just tell us...for guys like me, that like sports and want to brag like everyone else in this state and region about my alma mater's football and basketball teams, if you tell m ethat you don't want to focus on my interests, I won't get mad or even hold a grudge. I just want to know where else to take my fandom, like the other hundreds of thousands of alumni who have been brainwashed into believeing that athletics are a waste of time, energy, and money at North Texas and now focus their fandom on other schools' teams and the local pro teams.

This is the 2nd time you've said this, and although they play in the Alamodome, they have to lease it. Do you think the Alamodome proprietors are just going to let UTSA use their stadium for nothing?

Actually, the city of San Antonio runs the Alamodome and I believe they cut them a great deal for using the stadium, you know, since it sits empty for all but a few days out of the year. The city's leaders felt that this was a great place to help UTSA cut its teeth with its football program. And I'm certain that a part of their $20.hr fee helps cover the leasing cost, which, again, was substantially reduced for their local university.

Edited by untjim1995

You know, I'm not even saying that being focused on being the best value-oriented commuter school is dead-ass wrong. I just think that the university owes it to us to just explicitly tell us what they want for our athletics AND how they are going to fund it AND why they won't fund it as fully as possible. If its because of that first sentence, that's fine. If its because we want to be known for music/fine arts/education in this state and region instead of athletics becasue it costs too much, that's fine, too. But just tell us...for guys like me, that like sports and want to brag like everyone else in this state and region about my alma mater's football and basketball teams, if you tell m ethat you don't want to focus on my interests, I won't get mad or even hold a grudge. I just want to know where else to take my fandom, like the other hundreds of thousands of alumni who have been brainwashed into believeing that athletics are a waste of time, energy, and money at North Texas and now focus their fandom on other schools' teams and the local pro teams.

They want to do as little as possible in athletics to keep people like you and I connected to the school. If we win, great, but they damn sure will never go over budget to attempt to make that happen.

Our endowment shows that this strategy has worked brilliantly.

Noticed that Texas State has raised their athletic budget from 8 million to 30 million over the past two years.

incorrect

http://untsystem.edu/regents/agendas/12-8-16/14%20-%20UNTS%20Consideratin%20of%20the%20Consolidated%20FY%2013%20Budget.pdf

north Texas

Athletics 2010 15,941,695.....2011 17,227,167........2012 (proposed) 25,044,264 (actual) 19,502,713 + 3,500,000....2013 proposed 25,602,682

TxState

http://www.fss.txstate.edu/budget/budgetnumbers/operbudget.html

2010 estimated 14,181,321.......2011 18,340,109.....2012 21,320,297........2013 proposed 25,369,750

talk about outright theft haha....that is something probably 10 total students from Denton even know exist much less have set foot in.....that is why Dr. B was fired basically

Serious question, is it the culture, or the state putting limitations on the amount of our athletic fee and how it could be spent?

the legislature has nothing to do with it other than the change for the fee to go away upon payback of any bonds for athletics construction projects

each school votes how they want it to go...TxState voted in a $10 dollar fee with two dollar increases to $20 total

UH voted in a straight $45 dollar fee

UTSA voted in raising their cap in the athletics fee based on credit hours from $120 to $240

Stephen F. Austin voted in reducing their student services fee by $3 dollars and then adding a straight athletics fee of $9 dollars each long semester or $18 total

it was the administration at north Texas that proposed reducing the student services fee by $3 and then adding $10 for athletics with a cap at 15 hours with no increase and a 10% increase is allowed each year without a vote of the students and only BOR approval and the BOR has declined to raise it any at all so far.....totally on the administration and BOR of north Texas

again incorrect....each school has the restrictions they put in place when it was voted upon....TxState voted to raise it $2 per year.....UH and UTSA voted on straight total dollar amounts (though UTSA it tied to credit hours, but a max of $240 no matter how many credit hours)

http://utsa.edu/today/2007/09/athleticsfee.cfm

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-students-vote-for-fee-increase-to-help-2959592.php

http://www.txstate.edu/news/news_releases/news_archive/2008/02/referendumpasses021308.html

They want to do as little as possible in athletics to keep people like you and I connected to the school. If we win, great, but they damn sure will never go over budget to attempt to make that happen.

Our endowment shows that this strategy has worked brilliantly.

they were under budget in 2012 as shown in the very first link

and appearently people do in fact care about TxState haha

• Upvote 3

Said it probably a year or 2 ago, but Texas State has been shadowing our school for some time now.

Last time I checked TSU was even about $10 million ahead of UNT in its endowment coffers.

Anyone seeing a trend and possibility of yet another school that could pass North Texas by while we
are all still high fivin' each other with our having a 3 year old stadium (this Fall) which has yet to have a sellout?

Negative? No, I've just seen this movie so many other times since my first days on campus in 1972.
You get to where you can predict many things about North Texas once you've experienced its history
longer than some of you have even been alive. Others know where I am coming from because they, too,
are able to do the same thing.

GMG!

PS: Still..........with the right people in place at UNT, our future is still so bright to the extent to where we could just grin at TSU-SM
for even thinking they could pass us by; after all, we've been NCAA D1 for the most part since the 1950's Abner Haynes era and have some impressive
NCAA D1 wins in that span of time--just not as many as there could have been of late.

At UNT we've just got to quit dummy'ing down & diminishing our school's future with non-stop dumb-a$$ hires
of those who are largely unproductive over a fair amount of time to be productive and in the very areas that we
now have to be productive to keep other schools from passing UNT; that is in our present endowment any more than they
already have and as they are now flirting with the idea of passing us by in intercollegiate athetlcs.

How long till others put the imitation green kool-ade aside and just start waking up and smelling the coffee among our Mean Green Nation

We get at North Texas what we ask for but the question still remains............what the hell are we collectively asking for? :(

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't UTSA been collecting the max athletic fee the dad they decided to field a football program and voted the fee in? 5-6 years ago??

Edited-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTSA_Roadrunners_football

2006- feasibility study

Sept, 2007- Student referendum to support a fee; 65% approved

Feb., 2009 was the year they hired Coker

Read the wikipedia report. It's called organization and leadership.

And if utsa defeats UNT this year, DeepGreen will be outta here. Support and all.

Edited by DeepGreen