Big East may target Tulsa

KoldBeer

From Andy Katz...

3. The remaining Big East athletic directors will meet in Dallas on Jan. 11 to discuss their latest moves, including the update on the television negotiations. Tulsa and UMass have been discussed as possible additions if the Big East decides to expand, according to multiple sources. Rice and Southern Miss were also tossed around. Meanwhile, the Mountain West expects to move on San Diego State by the end of this week, according to a league source. The MWC has to decide if it will go to 12 or 14. The MWC has interest in SMU and Houston, but SMU has let it be known to the MWC it has no interest as the Mustangs and Cougars are set to go to the Big East. UTEP desperately wants to be in the MWC, according to a source, and is on the MWC list. BYU is the first choice for the MWC but at this juncture the Cougars want to remain independent in football, WCC in other sports.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/71927/3-point-shot-florida-without-erik-murphy

• Upvote 1

Good find Kold -

So,

1). Big East may or may not expand...

2). If they do they are looking at UMass and Tulsa with Rice and Southern Miss as possibilities.

3). SDSU will stay in the Mountain West

4). Mountain West wanted SMU and Houston but SMU turned them down -- Houston did not indicate...

5). UTEP desperately wants to be in the Mountain West but is just "on the list"...

6). BYU will remain independent

Good Grief! What the hell is wrong with Tulsa?

Exactly what do they think that they are gaining going to the Big East? Prestige? The nBE won't be a BCS conference after next year. Money? After the defection of the Catholic 7 the TV contract will drop dramatically. Probably to somewhere just above that of CUSA and the cost to them will be staggering. Competition? It should be better but they are in a much better position as the best of current CUSA than a contender in the nBE as far as a playoff berth.

And UMass? They'll have to get a special ruling to qualify as an FBS team since they've yet to have the 15,000 minimum attendance average.

• Upvote 2

Interesting post from a Cougar fan who pretty much was spot on to everything Katz said. The key difference is he indicates that Houston was not happy with SMU making a Mountain West decision without even conferring with them first... oh man, if only Houston would separate themselves from SMU! I would love to see us become Houston's DFW conference partner as we have much more in common with them than the ponies.

Interesting post from a Cougar fan who pretty much was spot on to everything Katz said. The key difference is he indicates that Houston was not happy with SMU making a Mountain West decision without even conferring with them first... oh man, if only Houston would separate themselves from SMU! I would love to see us become Houston's DFW conference partner as we have much more in common with them than the ponies.

That is very interesting. I still don't think Houston would go to MWC without another Texas partner and I don't mean UTEP. So what if MWC invites Houston and North Texas?

• Upvote 2

Good Grief! What the hell is wrong with Tulsa?

Exactly what do they think that they are gaining going to the Big East? Prestige? The nBE won't be a BCS conference after next year. Money? After the defection of the Catholic 7 the TV contract will drop dramatically. Probably to somewhere just above that of CUSA and the cost to them will be staggering. Competition? It should be better but they are in a much better position as the best of current CUSA than a contender in the nBE as far as a playoff berth.

And UMass? They'll have to get a special ruling to qualify as an FBS team since they've yet to have the 15,000 minimum attendance average.

Just because nBE is interested in Tulsa doesn't mean Tulsa is as interested in them. The Tulsa President has expressed doubts about nBE, CUSA AND the MWC. Nothing is set in stone for Tulsa. They really push basketball and the nBE is no longer much of a basketball conference. Certainly not worth the exit and entry fees to move!

As for UMass, I don't think that is really serious. I read an article someplace about the UMass faculty ready to push to drop back to FCS. They look terrible with 5K fans in the Patriots stadium. And every game they lose drops the fan base more.

• Upvote 2

Just because nBE is interested in Tulsa doesn't mean Tulsa is as interested in them. The Tulsa President has expressed doubts about nBE, CUSA AND the MWC. Nothing is set in stone for Tulsa. They really push basketball and the nBE is no longer much of a basketball conference. Certainly not worth the exit and entry fees to move!

I think Tulsa's gone.

I still believe that the MWC will go to 14. Adding SDSU, UTEP, and UH would make for a nice conference. I think the nBE will add Rice to replace UH, as well as Tulsa and Southern Miss. Tulsa gets realigned with the other private schools they have been with for a while, SMU, Tulane, and Rice. CUSA adds Texas State, NM State, and Western Kentucky.

Edited by untjim1995

I still believe that the MWC will go to 14. Adding SDSU, UTEP, and UH would make for a nice conference. I think the nBE will add Rice to replace UH, as well as Tulsa and Southern Miss. Tulsa gets realigned with the other private schools they have been with for a while, SMU, Tulane, and Rice. CUSA adds Texas State, NM State, and Western Kentucky.

Very depressing thought. I think I may prefer the old Belt to that new CUSA.

• Upvote 3

Based on a gut feeling or fact?

A little of both. I know that fans and donors are very unhappy with the present C-USA arrangement. The Tulsa president has recently made comments indicating that they are looking at moving. Pretty much any team in C-USA would accept an all-sports invite to the nBE, and Tulsa is probably the best team to suit the nBE's present need.

Let me get this straight. SDSU may stay in Big East partially because of savings having other sports in Big west. UTEP wants in MWC, which is a susprise to me as most of their alumni are in DFW,San Antonio, and Houston. Tulsa wants to go to Big East because they don't like the neighborhood.If so,that would bring the new Big East a total of 7 former CUSA schools, with CUSA losing a total of 8 school. That would leave the new CUSA buy my count with Rice,UTSA,UNT,LA.Tech,S.MISS,MTSU,UAB,Marshall,FIU, FAU, with ODU and UNCC yet to come..Not exactly the step up we hoped for.

• Upvote 1

If nBE is becoming the league where the old CUSA private institutions (Rice, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane) band together...and UH is mad at SMU for not taking a serious look at MWC as a joint package...and UTEP wants in to the MWC...

Is there a chance that UH, UTEP, and UNT work out a package deal to give the MWC a solid footprint in Texas?

The three schools are all fairly similar public institutions and would certainly build some great rivalries. Seriously, look how much CougarKing has single handedly stirred the pot on this forum...imagine if we were actually in a conference with UH and UTEP and how full those stadiums could be after a few years of conference to heat things up.

The private institutions can band together and go to nBE while UH, UTEP, and UNT go to MWC.

• Upvote 1

Most depressing post I've read. That would leave us with UAB and Marshall?

• Upvote 1