McCarney to take long look at roster and signing day thoughts

Harry

I'm kinda with UNT90 on this one. Why at the end of year two does Vito say McCarney said "he isn’t handing out free rides any longer"? If you haven't run off the old coaches recruits you don't want by now, something is wrong, so this must be about your own recruits, which is very concerning. Maybe he does this every year and it just got mentioned, but it doesn't sound good.

I'm kinda with UNT90 on this one. Why at the end of year two does Vito say McCarney said "he isn’t handing out free rides any longer"? If you haven't run off the old coaches recruits you don't want by now, something is wrong, so this must be about your own recruits, which is very concerning. Maybe he does this every year and it just got mentioned, but it doesn't sound good.

This should be done every year, but it is hard when you are so far below the 85 scholarships. Next year should be the first year we are close to 85, so it makes more sense.

Some strange language from McCarney, every coach weeds the pack to some degree; but most would never publicly admit it. Even though ships are technically one year, I doubt if anyone is recruited on that basis. If NT, is doing that I can see why recruiting is so underwhelming.

He is obviously sending the players a message that IMO ought to be private. I really don't see any rationale to making these statements, it only begs the question why can't you recruit players who can contribute. Every coach even at schools that basically get anyone they want misses on some recruits. When you recruit from the rear then that number will be much higher. As far as I am concerned; if a player is recruited and he does what he should in public, the classroom and on the field but is just not D1 material that is not a player problem but is a recruiting error.

I still like McCarney as a coach, but he does seem to throw the players under the bus a lot. That slow, small unprepared bunch with a losing culture won 5 games last year and I will give McCarney credit, but the small if any improvement this year doesn't illustrate that the program is making any significant progress.

New coaches can always blame the past, but those excuses lose credence fast.

• Upvote 1

“You have to show that you can help us win games,” McCarney said. “Does that mean you have to be an NFL draft pick? No. Does that mean you can continue to sit in the program and never help us? No. That means I made a mistake in bringing you here and you made a mistake in coming here.”

Look...didn't most of us expect us to finish with a 4-8 or 5-7 record? My prediction was 5-7, but that 4-8 wouldn't shock me as much as 6-6.

The truth is, when you looked up and down this roster, the depth wasn't there in key places:

(1) The defensive line depth was glaring. It doesn't matter that you have a guy or two that is "good." You have to have bodies to rotate in there because this is perhaps the toughest position, physically, to play - day in and day out, week in and week out, year in and year out.

(2) The entire starting secondary and many its backups had graduated/used up their eligibility. Are there some good, young athletes there? Yes. But, replacing all four starters in the secondary was going to spell trouble along the way.

(3) The talent at wide receiver was not especially good, and needed two to three people to really step it up.

I think we've all been pleasantly surprised that the run game didn't suffer a drop off with the losses of Lance Dunbar and James Hamilton. We have a bright future there.

I think the surprise disappointments were the early season special teams struggles and the lack of development in the wide receiver corp.

QB has been debated ad infinitum, as the QB position always is at any level on any team during any season. There was a time in Football History when people wondered whether Steve Walsh or Troy Aikman was the future of the Dallas Cowboys. (You forgot already that in 1989 Walsh was 1-4 as a starter for Dallas, and Troy was 0-11?...Walsh's QB rating 60.5 for the season, Aikman's 55.7...really.)

I think, as many do, the game is won and lost "in the trenches." Our offense trench seems to be set well for the next two to three seasons. We are deep at running back. We seem to be deep at...tight end!

I'll argue that with Thompson you have an experienced leader; and, in Berglund, you have a guy whose talent was recognized at one point in his life with scholarship offers from Kansas State, Boise State, Tulsa, UCLA, and Utah...schools that have a pretty decent bowl appearance record over the past decade or so. I think we're set there no matter who wins the position next spring and fall - and, there will be a quality backup.

That leaves me with this, as I've said before:

(1) We need depth on the defensive line.

(2) We need more true playmakers at receiver.

I don't think Dan is that far off. I know it stings him and us to be losing. But, let's face it...we're right where many of us thought we would be anyway.

Here's to hoping the 2013 signing day delivers three or four DTs and two to three WRs who can step in a contribute immediately. I know Dan is healthy, even given his slight setback last year. So, at this juncture in his life and career - and in UNT's, given the step up to C-USA impending - I don't see the point in redshirting talent that can be on the field helping. Get guy who can help on the field from the get go.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

“You have to show that you can help us win games,” McCarney said. “Does that mean you have to be an NFL draft pick? No. Does that mean you can continue to sit in the program and never help us? No. That means I made a mistake in bringing you here and you made a mistake in coming here.” Look...didn't most of us expect us to finish with a 4-8 or 5-7 record? My prediction was 5-7, but that 4-8 wouldn't shock me as much as 6-6. The truth is, when you looked up and down this roster, the depth wasn't there in key places: (1) The defensive line depth was glaring. It doesn't matter that you have a guy or two that is "good." You have to have bodies to rotate in there because this is perhaps the toughest position, physically, to play - day in and day out, week in and week out, year in and year out. (2) The entire starting secondary and many its backups had graduated/used up their eligibility. Are there some good, young athletes there? Yes. But, replacing all four starters in the secondary was going to spell trouble along the way. (3) The talent at wide receiver was not especially good, and needed two to three people to really step it up. I think we've all been pleasantly surprised that the run game didn't suffer a drop off with the losses of Lance Dunbar and James Hamilton. We have a bright future there. I think the surprise disappointments were the early season special teams struggles and the lack of development in the wide receiver corp. QB has been debated ad infinitum, as the QB position always is at any level on any team during any season. There was a time in Football History when people wondered whether Steve Walsh or Troy Aikman was the future of the Dallas Cowboys. (You forgot already that in 1989 Walsh was 1-4 as a starter for Dallas, and Troy was 0-11?...Walsh's QB rating 60.5 for the season, Aikman's 55.7...really.) I think, as many do, the game is won and lost "in the trenches." Our offense trench seems to be set well for the next two to three seasons. We are deep at running back. We seem to be deep at...tight end! I'll argue that with Thompson you have an experienced leader; and, in Berglund, you have a guy whose talent was recognized at one point in his life with scholarship offers from Kansas State, Boise State, Tulsa, UCLA, and Utah...schools that have a pretty decent bowl appearance record over the past decade or so. I think we're set there no matter who wins the position next spring and fall - and, there will be a quality backup. That leaves me with this, as I've said before: (1) We need depth on the defensive line. (2) We need more true playmakers at receiver. I don't think Dan is that far off. I know it stings him and us to be losing. But, let's face it...we're right where many of us thought we would be anyway. Here's to hoping the 2013 signing day delivers three or four DTs and two to three WRs who can step in a contribute immediately. I know Dan is healthy, even given his slight setback last year. So, at this juncture in his life and career - and in UNT's, given the step up to C-USA impending - I don't see the point in redshirting talent that can be on the field helping. Get guy who can help on the field from the get go.

current classification: Player

DT's

Jr: Richard Abbe - contributor

So: Joe Astorga - haven't noticed him

Jr: Ryan Boutwell - contributor

Sr: Tevinn Cantly - gone

Fr: Mustafa Haboul - redshirting

Fr: Dylan McDorman - redshirting

Fr: Sir Calvin Wallace - redshirting

+1 new recruit than can step in immediately, and we are still short handed here... injuries would leave us very very shorthanded again, and they happen every year. I am intrigued by the 3 redshirts though...plus austin orr moving to DT, if he can stay healthy. maybe that's a reach.

DE's

Jr: Aaron Bellazin - contributor

Fr: Malik Dilonga - redshirting

Fr: Brad Horton - redshirting

So: Alexander Lincoln - contributor

So: Daryl Mason - contributor

Jr: Brandon McCoy - contributor

Sr: K.C. Obi - gone

RFr: Austin Orr - injured, might be moving to DT?

Fr: Dutton Watson - redshirting

I feel good about DE(atleast better than DT). Just hope the redshirts can come in a make an impact. As with DT's, injuries can make this list look really thin very quickly, and these injuries happen every year.

WR's

RSr: Christopher Bynes - gone

Jr: Carl Caldwell - ??

So: John Chelf - xfer, hearing good things?

Sr: Ivan Delgado - gone

Fr: Carlos Harris - contributor

So: Willie Hubbard - ??

Fr: Roderick Lancaster - redshirting

Jr: Lynrick Pleasant - ??

Fr: Steven Rivera - ??

RFr: Chaz Sampson - possibly leaving, noncontributor

Fr: Nick Schrapps - redshirting

Jr: Darnell Smith - contributor

So: Derrick Teegarden - ??

Jr: Darius Terrell - xfer, hearing good things?

I think WR will be better next year, but we shall see. Having Chancellor and Harris...plus Terrell and Chelf? I think we should be good right there. Any contributions from the redshirts would be gravy, right? If we can just add a guy that can flat out fly and catch the ball...hmmmmm......

I have been sitting with a buddy of mine that played TE for UNT and he yells at thompson nearly every play. Says that thompson doesn't deliver the ball when the WR is open on nearly every play. I hadn't noticed it until I had him walk me through some plays. It seems fairly obvious to me now. Couple this with the misthrows, I am now convinced that we can upgrade. If Thompson did end up as our backup, I think our offense COULD end up being much better next year with that solid O-line and running game.

I'm already convincing myself that next year is when we will see REAL progress. When Mac's 1st and 2nd classes are able to come in and get a year or 2 under their belts in this system, I feel like this is where it SHOULD get a bunch better...

The only thing I know for sure is that I'll get to see 6 home games next year, and when we are in cusa, our games should be on TV more often. So, we should atleast get to see how wrong I am with my assessment. I predicted 7 and 6 this year, losing a bowl game... I suppose we could still get there if we won out, and won the bowl game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

I ended up watching a lot of the Toledo/Northern Illinois game last night and I was amazed. Amazed at how bad we look compared to other schools.

They both had QBs who could deliver the ball and run. It was shocking.

I agree with what Shoss and TFLF just stated. We need more bodies along the DLine. With the red shirts and I also expect a few RS DE to move to DT, Dilonga and Orr, we will have depth. We need playmakers at DE, guys who can get after the QB.

• Upvote 1

current classification: Player

DT's

Jr: Richard Abbe - contributor

So: Joe Astorga - haven't noticed him

Jr: Ryan Boutwell - contributor

Sr: Tevinn Cantly - gone

Fr: Mustafa Haboul - redshirting

Fr: Dylan McDorman - redshirting

Fr: Sir Calvin Wallace - redshirting

+1 new recruit than can step in immediately, and we are still short handed here... injuries would leave us very very shorthanded again, and they happen every year. I am intrigued by the 3 redshirts though...plus austin orr moving to DT, if he can stay healthy. maybe that's a reach.

DE's

Jr: Aaron Bellazin - contributor

Fr: Malik Dilonga - redshirting

Fr: Brad Horton - redshirting

So: Alexander Lincoln - contributor

So: Daryl Mason - contributor

Jr: Brandon McCoy - contributor

Sr: K.C. Obi - gone

RFr: Austin Orr - injured, might be moving to DT?

Fr: Dutton Watson - redshirting

I feel good about DE(atleast better than DT). Just hope the redshirts can come in a make an impact. As with DT's, injuries can make this list look really thin very quickly, and these injuries happen every year.

WR's

RSr: Christopher Bynes - gone

Jr: Carl Caldwell - ??

So: John Chelf - xfer, hearing good things?

Sr: Ivan Delgado - gone

Fr: Carlos Harris - contributor

So: Willie Hubbard - ??

Fr: Roderick Lancaster - redshirting

Jr: Lynrick Pleasant - ??

Fr: Steven Rivera - ??

RFr: Chaz Sampson - possibly leaving, noncontributor

Fr: Nick Schrapps - redshirting

Jr: Darnell Smith - contributor

So: Derrick Teegarden - ??

Jr: Darius Terrell - xfer, hearing good things?

I think WR will be better next year, but we shall see. Having Chancellor and Harris...plus Terrell and Chelf? I think we should be good right there. Any contributions from the redshirts would be gravy, right? If we can just add a guy that can flat out fly and catch the ball...hmmmmm......

I have been sitting with a buddy of mine that played TE for UNT and he yells at thompson nearly every play. Says that thompson doesn't deliver the ball when the WR is open on nearly every play. I hadn't noticed it until I had him walk me through some plays. It seems fairly obvious to me now. Couple this with the misthrows, I am now convinced that we can upgrade. If Thompson did end up as our backup, I think our offense COULD end up being much better next year with that solid O-line and running game.

I'm already convincing myself that next year is when we will see REAL progress. When Mac's 1st and 2nd classes are able to come in and get a year or 2 under their belts in this system, I feel like this is where it SHOULD get a bunch better...

The only thing I know for sure is that I'll get to see 6 home games next year, and when we are in cusa, our games should be on TV more often. So, we should atleast get to see how wrong I am with my assessment. I predicted 7 and 6 this year, losing a bowl game... I suppose we could still get there if we won out, and won the bowl game, but I'm not holding my breath.

Go Mean Green.

Agree with pretty much everything. Note that Alexander Lincoln is playing DT not DE, he is about 265 lbs right now. He is contributing. I would much rather see him and Boutwell in there on passing downs that the combination of Abbe and Cantly, that always baffles me when its 3rd and long and we put in two big run stuffing DT's.

I am glad he addressed my main question about the team which is why we are covering WR's with LB's, that has been one of my main complaints this season. I thought that was just the scheme we had, but I am relieved to know that it is due to lack of DB's and that we actually have nickel and dime packages.

This is not a completely (just mostly) terrible idea if you have some semblance of a pass rush or really awesome LBs.

All of our starting defensive backs will return next year, not to mention the hopeful return of Freddie Warner.

Yeah. But you always want to account for an injury or two back there. If we assume we are really happy with the starting four (plus Freddie) the rest is still unworthy of time -- at least according to DM.

Bingo. Expect more losses next season. There are no South Alabamas in CUSA, although Tulane and UTSA are close.

BS. If we know in November that we need a sh!tload of DBs, there is still plenty of time to sign them in February. If we need immediate contributors, go get some <GASP> Juco guys. For goodness sakes!

• Upvote 1

BS. If we know in November that we need a sh!tload of DBs, there is still plenty of time to sign them in February. If we need immediate contributors, go get some <GASP> Juco guys. For goodness sakes!

OK. But the problem there is convincing the quality guys to come to Denton. We're a middle-of-the-pack SBC team. When we move up to C-USA, we may be closer to the bottom of the barrel.

Hopefully coach McCarney can get his guys coached up and healthy for next season.

• Upvote 1

Here's to hoping the 2013 signing day delivers three or four DTs and two to three WRs who can step in a contribute immediately.

If that is what we are pinning our hopes and dreams on then we are, as The Bard said, "well and truly super boned".

There are 10-20 programs in the nation who can get 3-4 FBS level contributors at DT on signing day, we haven't been one of them.

The rest of us are left to fight over breadcrumbs like drunken hobos in the park.*

*That is a link and not an image because it seems that we can not longer post animated gifs. Can an admin tell me why?

Edited by Cerebus

OK. But the problem there is convincing the quality guys to come to Denton. We're a middle-of-the-pack SBC team. When we move up to C-USA, we may be closer to the bottom of the barrel.

Hopefully coach McCarney can get his guys coached up and healthy for next season.

It sounds to me like we need able bodies in the secondary, not necessarily top ranked studs. Either way, we've been able to sign fairly well regarded Juco DBs in the past, and I don't see why that would be harder to do with a better conference affiliation boosting our status.

Whether or not we're bottom of the barrel in CUSA or not, it's still a step up from where we have been. If it wasn't a step up and didn't affect recruiting (among other things), then Arkansas State and LaLa sure are wasting a lot of time complaining about us getting the spot over them.

So now we've begun making excuses about how CUSA is going to hurt our recruiting because we may lose more games?! Good grief. That about takes the cake, as far as I'm concerned.

It sounds to me like we need able bodies in the secondary, not necessarily top ranked studs. Either way, we've been able to sign fairly well regarded Juco DBs in the past, and I don't see why that would be harder to do with a better conference affiliation boosting our status.

Football is won/lost at the line. It's no coincidence Dickey's bowl teams set the high water mark for success in the modern era. Look at the defensive linemen we had: Booger Kennedy, Mike Pruitt,Adrian Awasome, Darrell Daniels, Sky Pruitt, Evan Cardwell, etc.

If we want to win we need linemen. One of the most exciting things about hiring Coach Mac was his record with defensive linemen. This program HAS to start recruit more studs on both sides of the line. The other "skill" positions are great, but they can only do their jobs when the guys who start the plays with their hands on the ground are doing what they are there to do.

• Upvote 3

Whether or not we're bottom of the barrel in CUSA or not, it's still a step up from where we have been. If it wasn't a step up and didn't affect recruiting (among other things), then Arkansas State and LaLa sure are wasting a lot of time complaining about us getting the spot over them.

So now we've begun making excuses about how CUSA is going to hurt our recruiting because we may lose more games?! Good grief. That about takes the cake, as far as I'm concerned.

We signed an "able-bodied", Juco DB this last class with the move to C-USA looming... care to guess how much playing time he has? McCarney is starting a freshman converted RB over him and he is getting burned weekly. We need something more than that because C-USA receivers are better than SBC receivers, on the whole, wouldn't you say?

I think conference money shares and prestige has a lot to do with our move and other teams' jealousy. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd rather stay in the SBC and be conference champs every year over moving up to C-USA.

There are no excuses. McCarney is paid WAY too much for excuses. The fact is, C-USA is a better football conference with better football teams than where we currently play. If the quality of players we bring in does not improve, we go from a middle-of-the-pack SBC team, to a bottom-of-the-barrel C-USA team. It's hard to get players you need to compete in your own conference if you're stuck at the bottom of that conference. Is this not true?

I might be wrong but my understanding is that any new players that are brought in for the spring semester do not count against the 25 that can be signed in Feb to start next Fall. Example of this would be JUCO and grayshirts that start school in Jan. Also any walk-on players that are awarded a ship would not count against the 25 number.

I might be wrong but my understanding is that any new players that are brought in for the spring semester do not count against the 25 that can be signed in Feb to start next Fall. Example of this would be JUCO and grayshirts that start school in Jan. Also any walk-on players that are awarded a ship would not count against the 25 number.

I'm pretty sure JUCOs count against the 25, whether they start in January or in summer/fall. But you're right on the grayshirts and walk-ons.

Stok will not be coming back

Good.

I saw plenty of Facebook pictures of the kid he almost killed in the hospital. I don't want any part of a college program that would allow someone like that to play. If this is true then i like Mac a whole lot more right now than I did this morning.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1