Who was there for this?

All About UNT

I had the misfortune to be covering that game for the NT Daily. It was the most disturbing loss I have ever been associated with. There were so many close plays, Roderick Manning's (58) sack of Straw the clock stopped for about 5 seconds and it should not have. Don Ericks (16) being called for pass interference was a Bullshit call. Fernandez (KSU 88) should have been called for offensive interference. He grabbed Ericks and pushed him. The Trent Touchstone (48) pass breakup was almost a pick.

This game was a heartbreaker.

Edited by GreenBat

"The way they won today will always be remembered by Kansas State fans."

They beat North Texas and tore down the goal posts.

I was there. We went out the night before and started a "you say K-St, I say sucks" chant in the middle of a bar in aggieville completely decked out in UNT merch.

We were politely told by 3 rather large K St attendees "we know we suck, but if you say that again, we are going to kick your a$$." disgression and valor being what they are, we shut the hell up and apologized, I do believe. Even bought the lads a beer (very smart move at the time).

It was a shocking final 1:30.

Needless to say, we were very quiet in Saturday night.

In defense of K St. Storming their field, they did break a 20 some odd game losing streak. Also, we were the #1 ranked team in 1AA before that game and were probably a touchdown or better favorite.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Still my favorite North Texas unis...and yes "EAGLES" is printed on the front...and yes, we had the nickname of "Mean Green" back then too.

(probably should have left the last part out in fear of a thread derailment.)

Was it the official nickname back then though? I don't think it was, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I've never seen this before and I wish I never had. Sad ending to a game. We had them at their own 15 or so with around 1:10 left? ugh...

And why were we bringing 5 or 6 guys at the QB so much?

I was there. We went out the night before and started a "you say K-St, I say sucks" chant in the middle of a bar in aggieville completely decked out in UNT merch.

We were politely told by 3 rather large K St attendees "we know we suck, but if you say that again, we are going to kick your a$$." disgression and valor being what they are, we shut the hell up and apologized, I do believe. Even bought the lads a beer (very smart move at the time).

Now I saw at least 40 mullets in this video. I know... that you were one of them.

I was there....as sponsor of the cheerleaders, I quickly huddled up the cheerleaders seconds after the td play and hustled them out the north gate to the van. I did not want to chance some sort of confrontation...little did I realize that not one wildcat fan would leave the stadium turf for over thirty minutes...the parking lot was completely empty when we hauled out of Manhattan. Earlier in the game I witnessed one of Byron Gross' greatest plays ever. He shot over the line of scrimmage and jammed the quarterback into the the trailing running back and knocked both players down for a loss. It was incredible. We had played in Manhattan a couple of years earlier and one of the k-state students jumped down on the track and blind sided the Eagle mascot with a clip, which blew out the mascot's knee. That is why I was jumpy about getting out of dodge that afternoon asap.

Was it the official nickname back then though? I don't think it was, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I've never seen this before and I wish I never had. Sad ending to a game. We had them at their own 15 or so with around 1:10 left? ugh...

And why were we bringing 5 or 6 guys at the QB so much?

I'm not sure about when it became "official". I always thought that RV just wanted more emphasis on the Mean Green nickname than the Eagles mascot. The fight song was never changed. I'm probably just uninformed because if there was an official change, it would have happened during my dark period of following NT athletics (AKA the 90's). The picture linked below doesn't necessarily "mean" anything, but I thought it was a neat Mean Green featured billboard from the late 80's. This is from the yearbook covering the year that this K-State game was played.

http://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth61055/m1/308/med_res/

UNT 90 Grad..I think you are right. I know that RV wanted to de-emphasize "Eagles" in favor of "Mean Green," but I don't think it's ever been officially changed, and I hope it never is.

I know on the traditions page on the university website it clearly states "Mean Green" as our nickname. Whatever thats worth.

As far as I'm concerned, our official nickname is the Mean Green, and we have the mascot of an eagle. Kind of how Alabama is the Crimson Tide, but their mascot is an elephant. The backstory on that is actually the opposite of ours...they were the Crimson Tide and someone called their defense elephants haha. But, Tulane Green Wave is another example, their mascot escapes me though.

• Upvote 1

As far as I'm concerned, our official nickname is the Mean Green, and we have the mascot of an eagle. Kind of how Alabama is the Crimson Tide, but their mascot is an elephant. The backstory on that is actually the opposite of ours...they were the Crimson Tide and someone called their defense elephants haha. But, Tulane Green Wave is another example, their mascot escapes me though.

Pelican

• Upvote 3

That is incorrect, but this subject has been hashed out on more threads than you'll find in a Burlington Coat Factory.

Pelican

Thank you! That was bugging me big time.

If you know the fight song, and sing it like everyone should, you are referring to UNT as the Eagles. A song that has remained our's and unchanged long before the internet. You're welcome to disagree, but I think our Fight Song takes precedent over a web page that receives more changes than a character in a Robin Williams movie montage.

It's only confusing if you can't make a distinction between a mascot and a moniker. We are the Mean Green. And we are the Eagles. They both can be official, because I think one is the apple and the other is the orange.

As long as this discussion is rehashed in the spirit of educating newer generations of Mean Green fans, I'm all for revisiting it.

• Upvote 3