UTSA Season Ticket Sales Well Ahead Of Last Year

“We sold right at 12,000 season tickets (last year), exceeding my expectations, which were pretty high,” Goodman explains. “Right now, we are 100 percent ahead of where we were at this point last year, sitting just north of 10,000 (season tickets sold).”

UTSA hopes to sell 15,000 season tickets this year, and the bar will likely be raised even higher as the Roadrunners prepare to move up to Conference USA.

UTSA Expecting Economic Bounce From CUSA

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/print-edition/2012/05/18/utsa-is-expecting-an-economic-bounce.html?page=all

• Upvote 2

I am so excited that UTSA is in our conference. I received my Bachelors at UTSA on the way to my PhD at UNT. Of course, I only cheer for the green. Why I am so excited is that I moved to Corpus last summer so I'll get to watch the Mean Green when we play in San Antonio! Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

How many of us have purchases season tickets for this upcoming season ?

Well, that is pretty much the question of the day. I am very pleased for UTSA...great job. San Antonio is a pretty large metroplex without any other D-1 program and it has many businesses that have shown a willingness to support this program and buy tickets which certainly helps. They seem to have hired a professional sales staff to help as well...at what cost? Who knows? But, the results are rather impressive and I am happy for them...will help the conference.

But, what UTSA does or doesn't do does not help (or hurt) UNT. The UNT fan base, local community and business owners need to look in the mirror for the answer to that one. Even here on GMG.Com (and other fan sites) we have "fans" who do not purchase season tickets even though they live in the DFW area, and who make up any number of excuses as to why not....I got an example of the love for UNT recently that I'll share here as it is just another example of the attitude of many of those who claim to "bleed green".

We have a program...recently expanded...through the UNT Alumni Association that we call the Alumni Ambassadors. It's a group of Alumni Association members and previous board members who want to stay (or become) involved with the work of the Alumni Association. We seek new members on an on-going basis (if you are interested...send me a PM for more details). Well, we hear from an alum who lives out of state (we have Ambassadors in several states) and who wants to volunteer because she (and I quote here) "Bleeds Green"! Great...perfect candidate...or so I thought. Well, the basic requirement to Ambassador membership is the one at least be a member of the UNT Alumni Association ($40 annulaly or $500 lifetime). This lady is not an Alumni Association member and would not join in order to be an Ambassador...all the while she and her husband donate to FOUR other universities! Said she couldn't afford the $40...really? And you currently donate to FOUR other universities, are employed full-time as his the husband and "Bleed Green"! Really?

I run into this attitude constantly in my volunteer efforts for UNT's Alumni Association, Mean Green Club, my department and with the other various projects I help with (GMG.Com football and basketball games, etc.) on a regular basis. UNT grads and fans love to find what's wrong with UNT (and they are real happy to constantly tell the world what's wrong with UNT...as if that does any good at all) and use that as their personal excuse or grudge (man, can some UNT "fans" hold grudges...wow!) for not donating, not buying season tickets, not joining the Alumni Association, not joining the Mean green Club etc., etc. It's the "what's in it for me" attitude and "someone else should do it" attitude that seems so prevailing with UNT folks. I read...on various websites...complaint after complaint about everything from the quality of staffers, the football/basketball schedules, the times events are scheduled, the time games are scheduled, what is or is not scheduled and where, the fact that coaches ask the faithful to do more in trying to get fans to "buy in", and on and on to ad nauseum.

If we...as UNT fans...want things to change for the better it's time to start being part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Think about it...has all the complaining and finger pointing done any good...other than to make one and those of a like mind feel secure in their bitterness....or would being positive and helping folks see the greatness that is the Mean green, and why they SHOULD support the program rather than why they should not bring about more positive results? It's up to each one of us to answer that question for ourselves...part of the solution or part of the problem...your choice. I've made mine some time ago.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

UTSA is getting it done! They are using new and creative ways to sell tickets. They had a lot of local business and local leaders willing to make a financial committment to the program, but UTSA staff said don't give us donations, let us sell you blocks of tickets instead. It was a win/win. UTSA got both the money and the sales numbers. This is how the guy with the KFC franchises got the tickets to give away with his chicken.

• Upvote 1

Why?

Because they have built nothing, accomplished nothing, and yet get rewarded simply because of a TV market.

It's like the son of the boss who gets promoted to VP of Operations at the ripe old age of 17, ahead of those who have worked hard to earn the position (MTSU, Arkansas St., etc...). And not only does the 17 year old get that promotion, he then actually thinks he did something to deserve it (just view the CUSA board).

Gag, barf, puke. I hate this program and always will. Fair or not

• Upvote 5

Because they have built nothing, accomplished nothing, and yet get rewarded simply because of a TV market.

It's like the son of the boss who gets promoted to VP of Operations at the ripe old age of 17, ahead of those who have worked hard to earn the position (MTSU, Arkansas St., etc...). And not only does the 17 year old get that promotion, he then actually thinks he did something to deserve it (just view the CUSA board).

Gag, barf, puke. I hate this program and always will. Fair or not

Wow looks like someone needs counseling! All this hate is going to slowly kill you. Feel sorry for you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Wow looks like someone needs counseling! All this hate is going to slowly kill you. Feel sorry for you.

Na, it's college football hate. Not real, live hate. I'll be OK.

And to be clear, I don't hate the fans of the program (well, not most, anyway), I just wish massive, massive failure on UTSA as a program. Like no winning conference record in CUSA for the next 10 years failure (which I think is a distinct possibility). Success should be earned, not given, and it was given to your program.

Like I said, it may not be right, but it just is.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Na, it's college football hate. Not real, live hate. I'll be OK.

And to be clear, I don't hate the fans of the program (well, not most, anyway), I just wish massive, massive failure on UTSA as a program. Like no winning conference record in CUSA for the next 10 years failure (which I think is a distinct possibility). Success should be earned, not given, and it was given to your program.

Like I said, it may not be right, but it just is.

you hate UTSA because you are scared as hell of them

it is laughable to hear someone talk about "earning something" while cheering for a team that has had 4 winning seasons out of 16 in the worst conferences in D1-A after "earning it" by dropping down to D1-AA for a decade and a half after "earning it" by sucking so bad for several decades that you had to drop down

lets see "earning it" with fan support.......oh yea that would be UTSA that had double the average attendance on unT

"earning it" oh if you mean having 7 straight losing seasons in the worst conference in D1-A

"earning it" with a single bowl win in the history of the program

"earning it" by hiring high school coaches and coaches with losing records VS a coach that has a national championship as the head coach and multiple other 9 and 10 win seasons

mocking a team for being added because of TV market only......when that was pretty much the only reason that unT was added

if UTSA can mix in a bowl win in the next 8-10 years they will probably have "earned it" as much or more than unT ever has

I'm glad we are happy about utsa doing a great job of selling season tickets- why are we not talking about our season ticket sales?

because they are not very good and it is much easier to make bucket of chicken jokes than it is to look in the mirror and realize that for everything you have "earned" you are really not that much better off if at all and that the bucket of chicken brigade is a winning season or two and a bowl win away from having "earned" about the exact same thing that unT has in decades in D1-A football

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12

you hate UTSA because you are scared as hell of them

???? I think you are confused as usual. YOU are obviously scared to death of US! If you weren't, you wouldn't feel the need to hang out on our board and bash us on a regular basis. Why don't you just go back to your lying cheating home of the death penalty and leave us alone. Your spanking will come soon enough.

• Upvote 2