Helmet thread

I know this is not a favorite topic and it rears it head every off season, but I recently saw the image below and noticed our helmet sticking out like a sore thumb. Not only does it not look right, but it looks amateurish/FCS to me. By now it should be known that we're North Texas, it doesn't need to be on our helmet. The SOW or interlocked NT would look so much better I don't see how they haven't made the switch already. Something needs to be done before the 2013 season. Every other CUSA school has their logo, school letters, or both on their helmets except us. I mean honestly I am 100% confident more people know who we are than ODU, UTSA, UNCC, UAB & FIU yet we have the FCS helmet? Something needs to be changed.

newcusa.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

5 letters vs 10 letters. No comparison whatsoever. As much as I hate helmet threads, I hate our helmet even more. It needs to be changed!

Why not flood RV's email box with complaints about the current helmet design? Our helmets are embarrassing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I think we have been fortunate in the "good luck" department this off-season. Between moving to C-USA, Mitchell coming back for another season, signing some quality coaches, winning a few conference championships, and landing a few quality players, I'm content. The helmet agrument can wait for another off-season.

• Upvote 3

R.V.'s opinion is not to use initials, such as U.N.T.,U.A,B,U.C.F. ,etc. He feels that most people from other parts of the country might not know what it stands for, as we are still known primarily as a regional university. life is a comprise, and i have seen several attractive blends of S.O.W. and NORTH TEXAS posted. might i suggest that the designers of these logos send them to Rick for his consideration at rick.villarreal@unt.edu. it will do more good than singing to the choir.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

R.V.'s opinion is not to use initials, such as U.N.T.,U.A,B,U.C.F. ,etc. He feels that most people from other parts of the country might not know what it stands for, as we are still known primarily as a regional university. life is a comprise, and i have seen several attractive blends of S.O.W. and NORTH TEXAS posted. might i suggest that the designers of these logos send them to Rick for his consideration at rick.villarreal@unt.edu. it will do more good than singing to the choir.

The best suggestion yet. And since I went through the trouble to even respond in this thread. Our helmets should have the Alumni's "NT-star" on the helmet. And, I know that this is heresy for some to hear, but the Alumni's NT-Star should also replace the lone star on our battle flag.

And if the Alumni association wants to make a bunch of money, they would produce and sell those aforementioned flags.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

We have a logo and it seems like we've had several branding campaigns the last several years and spent a few million dollars doing it. So I think we should put our logo on our helmets. People won't know North Texas because that is what it says on the helmets. They'll know us because maybe we're winning some football games and/or basketball games.

• Upvote 1

Someone better call Tulsa, and Illinois, and Ohio, and Toledo, and Boise State (wait, don't we use them as a measuring stick?).

But, let's ask the question that really matters. What would Hayden Fry say?

We use Boise States athletic dept as a measuring stick, not their ugly ass helmets.

• Upvote 1

Someone better call Tulsa, and Illinois, and Ohio, and Toledo, and Boise State (wait, don't we use them as a measuring stick?).

But, let's ask the question that really matters. What would Hayden Fry say?

He'd probably say something like "why the hell did ya'll get rid of that winning helmet/uni design from the mid-70's?" And he's have a good point.

• Upvote 2

I like North Texas on our helmet, but I still think 10 letters on one side of a helmet is too much.

Worm, a tweaked worm or SOW would still be IMHO a good choice for our inaugural CUSA season.

GMG!

PS: Wouldn't hurt if the end of our chin straps didn't partially cover one of our present helmets 10 letters, too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

PS: Wouldn't hurt if the end of our chin straps didn't partially cover one of our present helmets 10 letters, too.

Glad to know that somebody else realizes that 10 letters is greater than that Tulsa = 5 letters is greater than Ohio = 4 letters is greater than Toledo = 6 letters etc.

10 letters on a helmet is just too damn many, doesn't matter what our initials are, doesn't matter what our emblem is, nothing. No more damn North Texas on the helmet, put it on the damn jersey and nothing else. Problem solved, NEXT!!!!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1