Houston Dog and Pony

When Gretchen Bataille was on her tour of cities, she came by Houston and there was an event held in downtown houston...I would say turnout was maybe 300 or more...wonderful event, even talked about a new football stadium on the horizon....perhaps this is what we need for athletics...a visit to Houston..reservations required..etc.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, the turnout for the "Green Light to Greatness" event was nowhere as good as the Bataille event. But yes, I would love the a Coaches Caravan stop in Houston.

Unfortunately, the turnout for the "Green Light to Greatness" event was nowhere as good as the Bataille event. But yes, I would love the a Coaches Caravan stop in Houston.

even worse is Bill Lively the mastermind behind the highly acclaimed Green Light To Greatness Campaign has left North Texas-Denton :mellow:

• Downvote 7

even worse is Bill Lively the mastermind behind the highly acclaimed Green Light To Greatness Campaign has left North Texas-Denton :mellow:

He left, but he wasn't the mastermind. He was going to be the face.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 3

My girlfriend and I will both be there- as students of UH. Weird.

We will both be wearing green though, so don't worry.

Edited by Eastwood Eagle

He left, but he wasn't the mastermind. He was going to be the face.

ok he was part of the team....a humble part, but a part of the development team

http://www.ntdaily.com/?p=65211

“I’m not sure what I did was any value,” Lively said. “What I’ve gotten to be a part of is the team at UNT that developed the campaign for the university’s ‘Four Bold Goals’ plan. We’ve never had a campaign at the university; it will be historic and heroic.”

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

When Gretchen Bataille was on her tour of cities, she came by Houston and there was an event held in downtown houston...I would say turnout was maybe 300 or more...wonderful event, even talked about a new football stadium on the horizon....perhaps this is what we need for athletics...a visit to Houston..reservations required..etc.

I attended the Houston event you speak of, and yes, it was a very nice gathering. Not only did they talk about the stadium, they had several posters set up showing the proposed stadium. I even talked to RV about the proposed stadium. And yes, UNT needs to do more of these events in the major cities like Houston with the goal of doubling or tripling our core fan base of season ticket holders, Mean Green Club membership, and University of North Texas donors.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

I attended the Houston event you speak of, and yes, it was a very nice gathering. Not only did they talk about the stadium, they had several posters set up showing the proposed stadium. I even talked to RV about the proposed stadium. And yes, UNT needs to do more of these events in the major cities like Houston with the goal of doubling or tripling our core fan base of season ticket holders, Mean Green Club membership, and University of North Texas donors.

During the "bowl" days we would have game watching parties...even though small...still maybe 20 people would show up...even people like Kelly Fry (coach Fry's son) and it was fun...with more effort maybe the turnout could have been much greater...after the bowl years, you would be lucky to get more than 2-4 people...really bad. We should be cultivating Houston, San Antonio, maybe Austin...wherever we have alot of NT x's.
  • Upvote 1

Here's a couple thoughts on how to maximize the Houston game this year:

Send a letter NOW to the Houston area alumni that reminds them of the new move to C-USA and says, "You are cordially invited to a Mean Green Houston Chapter tailgating event with free barbeque and beer"

In the envelope provide a place to reserve tickets and say that if you reserve them in the next 45-days you will save 20% on your ticket prices to the game...

Try to build a bridge with Mattress Mac again, get him to commit to coming to the game this year and buy some blocks of tickets at a discount to give as promotions to his patrons...

Do a student bus trip but instead of some crazy marathon back and forth offer to put em up at a cheap hotel for a discounted price...

Reach out to former players and coaches in Houston and invite them to attend the game for free -- heck even schedule a letterman event there with players and coaches who have relocated or originally were from Houston. Invite Houston area recruits and their family to attend the game...obviously Houston will do this too but why not do the same thing they do when they play in Denton?

Spend some of the LSU blood money to help build our following in Houston now as opposed to once we are in C-USA... we have a TON of alums in Houston that would love to reconnect and we finally have a chance to do it in this conference!

Contact the Houston chapter of the Parent's Association and invite all of them to attend with their sons & daughters.

As for Mattress Mac, I'm not sure if he will be open to it or not, but no harm in trying! I'm not in the market for furniture, but maybe it would be worth a window-shopping trip to Gallery furniture while wearing Mean Green gear.

• Upvote 1

Think outside of the UNT box. Want to re-kindle the Matress Max relationship with UNT? GIVE Mac a block of 250-500 tickets to the game so he can give away the tickets to customers at a store promotion. Oh, and let McCarney handle this for the AD.

Harry, those are some great ideas.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 4

Send a letter NOW to the Houston area alumni that reminds them of the new move to C-USA and says, "You are cordially invited to a Mean Green Houston Chapter tailgating event with free barbeque and beer"

In the envelope provide a place to reserve tickets and say that if you reserve them in the next 45-days you will save 20% on your ticket prices to the game...

Try to build a bridge with Mattress Mac again, get him to commit to coming to the game this year and buy some blocks of tickets at a discount to give as promotions to his patrons...

Do a student bus trip but instead of some crazy marathon back and forth offer to put em up at a cheap hotel for a discounted price...

Reach out to former players and coaches in Houston and invite them to attend the game for free -- heck even schedule a letterman event there with players and coaches who have relocated or originally were from Houston. Invite Houston area recruits and their family to attend the game...obviously Houston will do this too but why not do the same thing they do when they play in Denton?

Spend some of the LSU blood money to help build our following in Houston now as opposed to once we are in C-USA... we have a TON of alums in Houston that would love to reconnect and we finally have a chance to do it in this conference!

These are all great ideas....hope RV sees this....we need to bring more visability of UNT to Houston...BTW...I often see billboards for UNT in the Houston area...maybe a few the month prior to the game in Houston , with a phone no for alumni to call to start meeting up with Houston alumni for game watching., UNt could put up a billboard or two...might be worth the cost long term. would definitely like to see more GREEN in Houston
  • Upvote 1

if I could get a local hotel in which a friend owns in the Kingwood area to provide a special rate, I would consider hosting a happy hour on Friday night at the house or Saturday morning pre tailgate pick me ups.

Very cool. We could do a GMG special and try to get a group together there. Let me know what you find out because it's never too early and thanks!

National Geographic came calling

All the positive momentum from his Dallas Symphony failed bit probably gave him his own personal green light to greatness.

It was refreshing to see the billboards up around town. Starting believe the University is actually concerned with grabbing more students than just the "oh well, guess I'll live at home" crowd from D/FW. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, just lead to an empty campus on the weekends while I was in school.

Houston is a great market for UNT. Comparable academics to UH and the best part? You don't have to go to UH. Because as college experiences go, UNT & Denton are light years ahead. Game day, too. If we're ever good, the Hill will dwarf anything I've ever seen at UH tailgates.

Building up the UNT alumni base in Houston would help out tremendously. Especially getting the younger alums involved. Most of the events I've attended (with all due respect) have been a bit more... reserved. An quarterly alumni happy hour in a centrally-located bar (like I've seen Texas State, Ok State, UT, Tech, et al all do) would really be nice.

Wouldn't worry about attendance to the UH game... we traveled well to play RICE and they were nobody. Nobody until they donkey-punched us, that is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Wouldn't worry about attendance to the UH game... we traveled well to play RICE and they were nobody. Nobody until they donkey-punched us, that is.

Big difference between Rice and UH games: the number of seats available to opposing teams. At Rice, there's basically unlimited seating for opponents and anyone can walk up at game time and get a ticket. UH-UNT will be sold out and sold out in advance. So if you're planning on going, get your seats as early as possible.

• Upvote 2

Big difference between Rice and UH games: the number of seats available to opposing teams. At Rice, there's basically unlimited seating for opponents and anyone can walk up at game time and get a ticket. UH-UNT will be sold out and sold out in advance. So if you're planning on going, get your seats as early as possible.

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure it will sell out due to your fans finally getting a big name program in the house.

By the way, you guys still sell beer in the stadium right? Not that I won't be there anyway.

Thanks for the heads up. I am sure it will sell out due to your fans finally getting a big name program in the house.

By the way, you guys still sell beer in the stadium right? Not that I won't be there anyway.

The big name program is coming for the opener vs Texas State. :jig:

And yes, we still sell beer. Come out early and tailgate too. You'll be welcomed to join in.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NTXCOOG- I have two questions for you.

1. Does the student section sell out, if so how far in advance do students need to get tickets?

2. I plan on sitting in the visitor section. Will my student seat allow me to sit there?

Edited by Eastwood Eagle