Could Jamail Jones potentially come to UNT?

Winder what the chances are? Would love to have him. Maybe you Bball guys can break down our chances.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Jamail-Jones-84661;_ylt=AvRgWS2W_G9BgNft9hEMiU3SO5B4

Sorry just noticed I probably should've put a question mark on the title

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Tasty.

Your thoughts on Jones?

The only thing I know about him is his Rivals ranking and that he's leaving Marquette. With us full up on 2012 ships, I haven't really been doing anything other than looking ahead to next year's class.

If something goes poorly with Forrest Robinson, I'll definitely start looking up everything I can find on Jones.

Really wouldnt want to add this guy if it meant losing Forrest. Jones best basketball may be behind him, while there is a very good chance Forrest is just scratching the surface.

One man's opinion.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Jones is a good but streaky three-point shooter. He struggled to get into a groove at Marquette, but I watched him in a lot of summer league games (though little defense) and he would have games where he hit 6/7 from 3, then the next day would go 1/8. When he's on, he's great. Defensively, he's decent, and he added a ton of muscle. He is a physical specimen, can throw down some monster dunks (was on ESPN's top-10 twice in HS), but just couldn't force his way onto the court at Marquette. It was a combination of being behind some excellent talent at the forward spots -- Jimmy Butler is in the NBA, Jae Crowder is likely following him, Jamil Wilson looks like NBA talent -- but also not being able to force his way onto the court for long enough stretches to get into a rhythm.

I think he could be a productive player and develop into a starter as a junior and senior, especially with the one year sitting as a transfer, but I don't think he'd be a program-changer by any means. He is, however, a very hard worker and excellent teammate, by all accounts. I think he could help your program if Benford finds room, but just because he was top-100, don't expect him to be a step-in replacement for Tony Mitchell when he leaves for the NBA.

• Upvote 1

No. We're full. Whats difficult to understand about that?

We are full at the moment, but we appear to have at least one player thinking about qu um, leaving the program so I don't see anything wrong with speculating about this. Besides, it beats uniform talk!

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 1

We are full at the moment, but we appear to have at least one player thinking about qu um, leaving the program so I don't see anything wrong with speculating about this. Besides, it beats uniform talk!

We need more basketball uniform talk. My hope is that Benford does away with the "Tuxedos" next year.

• Upvote 3

We need more basketball uniform talk. My hope is that Benford does away with the "Tuxedos" next year.

And for the love of God, put the names back on the back of the Jerseys. No names on the backs is so Southland. (Indiana Hoosiers notwithstanding)

• Upvote 1

Jones is a good but streaky three-point shooter. He struggled to get into a groove at Marquette, but I watched him in a lot of summer league games (though little defense) and he would have games where he hit 6/7 from 3, then the next day would go 1/8. When he's on, he's great. Defensively, he's decent, and he added a ton of muscle. He is a physical specimen, can throw down some monster dunks (was on ESPN's top-10 twice in HS), but just couldn't force his way onto the court at Marquette. It was a combination of being behind some excellent talent at the forward spots -- Jimmy Butler is in the NBA, Jae Crowder is likely following him, Jamil Wilson looks like NBA talent -- but also not being able to force his way onto the court for long enough stretches to get into a rhythm.

I think he could be a productive player and develop into a starter as a junior and senior, especially with the one year sitting as a transfer, but I don't think he'd be a program-changer by any means. He is, however, a very hard worker and excellent teammate, by all accounts. I think he could help your program if Benford finds room, but just because he was top-100, don't expect him to be a step-in replacement for Tony Mitchell when he leaves for the NBA.

So many questions. Is he a 6"6" power forward? If he is a power forward, I would doubt he is 6'6", because rivals pages always give (and high school players always list) an extra 2 inches. So, a 6'4" power forward who is a streaky 3 point shooter? Don't think we are really interested. Not to mention to replace a legit 6'10" guy who is just as accurate from behind the arc (may be a slight stretch here) and only has one year against any type of real competition.

Don't really care if he was a 4 star player. So was Zo coming out of high school. Terribly overrated. An athletic 6'3" or 6'4" power forward can get away with out athleting everyone in high school. Not so in college (Franklin, while I love him, wasn't setting the Belt on fire this year. Also a 4 star).

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Jamail is a legit 6'6", I absolutely assure you of that, but he's definitely a natural SF, not a PF. He had to play some PF this past season but only because both our centers were out with injury, which meant anyone 6'6" or bigger was going to play the 4 or 5. But regardless of what Rivals is calling him, Jones is not a PF and doesn't play like one.

Like I said, I think he'd be a solid add, but not a game-changer, and if you guys are sold on the people there, I'd hope that Benford can keep them. If I were putting money down, I'd say Jones ends up at Georgia State, though honestly I'd prefer he goes somewhere with a chance to win something, and I'm not sure GAST has that.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...