CUSA/MWC Merger Unlikely

KoldBeer

A proposed merger between the Mountain West and Conference USA “probably will not happen,” college football industry sources told CBSSports.com.

Now a merger of the leagues appears even more unlikely. Whatever decision the leagues officially reach, Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson and C-USA commissioner Britton Banowsky told CBSSports.com last month that a decision will be made by early June.

By deciding to remain as separate leagues, both leagues would likely pursue additional members from other leagues to replace the schools that have left or will be leaving. After next season, Conference USA is losing UCF, Southern Methodist, Houston and Memphis, while the Mountain West, which loses TCU this summer, is losing Boise State and San Diego State next year.

Because of these defections, the Mountain West will have to expand.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18623903

• Upvote 3

While there is nothing here that we didn't already know, it would be nice to have an official confirmation as to how things will shake out.

There still could be a scheduling alliance and a single TV contract but those are unknowns at this time. Regardless, it seems to me that each conference should be striving for 12 members each.

That could be tough for the MWC which does not have a great replacement selection. I don't think that they would object too strenuously if the conference took San Jose State and Utah State but that would only make ten. The only two other FBS candidates within their footprint are New Mexico State and Idaho, neither of which scores very high on models. They both score in the bottom five on quantifiable rankings in most categories.

It seems apparent that North Texas and FIU have met the test for additions to CUSA but that would only raise that league to ten. If La Tech and Middle Tenn were added the conference wouldn't be weakened much. Louisiana Tech has some drawbacks in market and budget size but they put very competitive teams on the field/court. MTSU would allow entrance into the Nashville market, has a reasonably budget of $24 million and good proximity to the eastern teams.

Would the MWC be okay with ten teams until a decision by Boise State and San Diego State is made after the AQ conferences go away? Would the uneven number affect a joint TV contract? UTEP might be persuaded to change conferences but I hope not.

While there is nothing here that we didn't already know, it would be nice to have an official confirmation as to how things will shake out.

There still could be a scheduling alliance and a single TV contract but those are unknowns at this time. Regardless, it seems to me that each conference should be striving for 12 members each.

That could be tough for the MWC which does not have a great replacement selection. I don't think that they would object too strenuously if the conference took San Jose State and Utah State but that would only make ten. The only two other FBS candidates within their footprint are New Mexico State and Idaho, neither of which scores very high on models. They both score in the bottom five on quantifiable rankings in most categories.

It seems apparent that North Texas and FIU have met the test for additions to CUSA but that would only raise that league to ten. If La Tech and Middle Tenn were added the conference wouldn't be weakened much. Louisiana Tech has some drawbacks in market and budget size but they put very competitive teams on the field/court. MTSU would allow entrance into the Nashville market, has a reasonably budget of $24 million and good proximity to the eastern teams.

Would the MWC be okay with ten teams until a decision by Boise State and San Diego State is made after the AQ conferences go away? Would the uneven number affect a joint TV contract? UTEP might be persuaded to change conferences but I hope not.

I really, really, really don't want MUTS in the CUSA. Just their name alone drags the conference's prestige through the mud. To be fair, looking forward to being a conference mate to LTech just to increase my hatred of them even more. Not looking forward to the road trips, worried I'll come down with Ebola or something.

Edited by rjmunthe
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 15

I don't think anyone is under the impression that either San Diego St or Boise will go back to the MWC since the money will still be better in Big East and it's looking like they could still add one more west team (probably Air Force). I doubt UTEP would want to go west if they get conference games with Rice & UNT

I really, really, really don't want MUTS in the CUSA. Just their name alone drags the conference's prestige through the mud. To be fair, looking forward to being a conference mate to LTech just to increase my hatred of them even more. Not looking forward to the road trips, worried I'll come down with Ebola or something.

Why do you hate Tech? UNT is only Sun Belt team that I don't mind Tech playing more often

Btw MUTS is a solid program and I would think they would make a good addition and market.

It pains me to say, but I have to agree...

I would even think that would somewhat satisfy ECU and Marshall.

East

Southern Miss

ECU

FIU

UAB

Marshall

MTSU

West

Tulsa

La Tech

UTEP

Tulane

UNT

Rice

Edited by TheColonyEagle

Slow news day. There is nothing new here. They will allign first, maximize the units and exit fees, and merge later if the money is there. In the meantime they have a binding agreement to not raid one another and this stops the musical chairs.

Here is a huge question. If the invite is up to us (in a perfect world) then which side do we join? The MWC has to add another baseball team to stay at 6. I wouldn't be surprised if we make sure that is available to them if needed. I am really torn on which side I would prefer during the transitional years pre merger but I lean towards CUSA.

• Upvote 2

Why do you hate Tech? UNT is only Sun Belt team that I don't mind Tech playing more often

techdawg88, I don't think it's a matter of hate but moreso a matter of some of your fellow alums condescending arrogance from BB&B toward all the rest of us through the years. For certain we've all done our share of smack from time to time, but some of your fellow Dawg' compadres in the opinion of many (even beyond our elect) were going a bit over the top.

Yet.............if ever there was a new conference rivalry that started from 2 college-based message boards it would be both of our schools because we have ourselves (admittedly) counter-pointed many of BB&B's posters points for darn sure.B)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I think everyone knew they were looking at a scheduling alliance to pre-date the move to a full merger/new conference. The real question is are these reports that there isn't going to be a full merger ever? Or is just that it's going to be an alliance first?

The big difference between the two options would be the need for expansion candidates. A scheduling alliance with merger to come would like be 10 teams in each conference. No merger/new conference could mean two 12 team conferences.

• Upvote 1

If you'll run some numbers you'll find that Middle Tennessee is well qualified as a moveup to CUSA. They are continually first or second in the Bubas Cup standings. They have good facilities in all sports. They are in a large market and have a budget larger than ours.

As to the name, I'm hoping that they'll drop the State and just become Middle Tennessee University or the University of Middle Tennessee. Then maybe they'll take a page from the University of Southern Mississippi and become "Middle Tenn". That would shorten it enough to fit most marquees. It works for Southern Miss; it could work for Middle Tennessee.

Besides, CUSA needs to return to 12 members to fulfill the TV requirements with Fox, which calls for a championship game. The eight current members and the additions of North Texas, FIU, Louisiana Tech, and Middle Tenn would return the conference to full strength and allow for a championship game.

Finally, UTEP is a member of CUSA and since the leagues are remaining separate for now I see no reason for them to move.

• Upvote 2

You guys choosing ULL over La Tech.............why not just wish for Notre Dame. Might as well because ULL is not a candidate for CUSA at this time.

And NT is definitely in, right? Signed, sealed, and delivered. I think Tech will just wait and hope to get in, rather than start moving teams around already.

Edited by Wing-over
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4