Potential new coaches

bdan2002

Would really doubt Monson. Didn't SMU offer over a million ?

It's not all about money, Unlike SMU we are not in a huge rebuild situation and were not in an incredible basketball conference. This team next year should win the belt and me a 27-5 type team like middle...we have a 10,000 seat arena, the metroplex, texas recruting and a loaded roster...no reason we cant get most quality coaches.

• Upvote 1

Chris Mack, Xavier - 73-30

Fran Dunphy, Temple - 444-228, 11 regular season championships

Steve Prohm, Murray State - 31-2

Randy Bennett, St. Mary's - 235-117, went to Sweet 16 and NIT 2nd round

Dan Monson, Long Beach State - 255-200, went to 2nd round of NCAA last month, took Gonzaga to Elite 8 in 1999, and a few NIT advances

Love to have any of those coaches, but would they really leave there job right now to coach in an area that they dont know... All of those coaches are in the east besides Monson... Reason why JJ was able to do well here is because of his Louisiana and DFW connections. I see UNT getting a coach from the south or midwest area.

• Upvote 1

Bruce Pearl reminds me...

Whoever we hire, it's not going to be as insane as what ULM just did. They went through last season down an assistant. Possibly as a cost-saving measure, we speculated at the time.

Well, I guess one way to save a few bucks on staff is to hire guys right out of the federal penitentiary.

http://www.ulmwarhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19000&ATCLID=205392356

http://www.lawschoolloans.com/articles/20208/Fraud-at-Barton/

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2611020

Any time you can get a guy who's a CONFESSED FELON OUT OF FEDERAL PRISON, I think you have to jump on that opportunity. ESPECIALLY when his crime is directly tied to coaching basketball, and shows a distinct lack of ethics and shamefully inappropriate behavior.

I'm not sure how work release furlough Assistant Basketball Coach compares to Prison Laundry in terms of pay scale. Maybe ULM only has to pay him something like 13 cents an hour?

In all seriousness, I'm all in favor of a guy getting a second chance... But considering he's literally just a few years removed from probation, post-federal incarceration... Have fun next season, Pit Crew!

All I can say is that if we plan on taking the next step in becoming a basketball powerhouse, then we better be willing to pay the big bucks to hire a proven coach.

Since we may potentially be moving to a new conference, we need to turn it up a notch. If we are only willing to pay what Johnny was making then we aren't going to get much in return. Johnny was a bargain deal.

I bet the new head coach will make around $750k.... They will find the money, think about it... This is the year to make a splash, we need a proven HC that can take these guys to the next level, you cant be cheap and i think RV wont be. Why take a high risk on an unproven hc, yes you can hire a proven HC and they turn out to be Billy Gillispie at kentucky. Thats a gamble most ADs are willing to take with this type of talent here.

No proven HC is going to take less that 750k, JJ was a steal... His most recent contract was 475k and bonus were around 100k, just like Mac.

I bet the new head coach will make around $750k.... They will find the money, think about it... This is the year to make a splash, we need a proven HC that can take these guys to the next level, you cant be cheap and i think RV wont be. Why take a high risk on an unproven hc, yes you can hire a proven HC and they turn out to be Billy Gillispie at kentucky. Thats a gamble most ADs are willing to take with this type of talent here.

No proven HC is going to take less that 750k, JJ was a steal... His most recent contract was 475k and bonus were around 100k, just like Mac.

[/quote

First, like it or not, we are not getting the big donors for the stadium. Yes, we have the naming rights sold, but that goes to pay off the stadium. Then add in other items such as 1) a baseball program and a stadium for it 2) basketball practice facility and the athletic department's share to improve the Super Pit 3)improvements to football practice facility including an indoor facility. My point is there are just NOT that many donors with the bucks to fund these things and a 750K contract for the basketball coach. Heck, they just stuck the students with another $115 a semester to build a new union building, so doubt you can go there again. This job, like a lot of mid majors, is a stepping stone job as I would bet Johnny never expected to be here 11 years. There is nothing wrong with taking a chance on a head coach like Danny Kaspar or Scott Cross who have been successful at schools smaller than us. And by the way, if you don't donate even on the smallest scale level, what you mention should be a reason to start.

Edited by Green Dozer

First, like it or not, we are not getting the big donors for the stadium. Yes, we have the naming rights sold, but that goes to pay off the stadium. Then add in other items such as 1) a baseball program and a stadium for it 2) basketball practice facility and the athletic department's share to improve the Super Pit 3)improvements to football practice facility including an indoor facility. My point is there are just NOT that many donors with the bucks to fund these things and a 750K contract for the basketball coach. Heck, they just stuck the students with another $115 a semester to build a new union building, so doubt you can go there again. This job, like a lot of mid majors, is a stepping stone job as I would bet Johnny never expected to be here 11 years. There is nothing wrong with taking a chance on a head coach like Danny Kaspar or Scott Cross who have been successful at schools smaller than us. And by the way, if you don't donate even on the smallest scale level, what you mention should be a reason to start.

• Downvote 2

Why not?

After finding out about additional NCAA violations, as well as a violation of the school's substance abuse policy by a player, Tennessee fired Pearl on March 21, 2011.[12][13] On August 23, 2011, Pearl was given a three-year show-cause penalty for his unethical conduct in lying to the NCAA. This means that the sanctions imposed on Pearl will remain in force if he is hired by an NCAA member school within that period. Specifically, he is prohibited from engaging in any "recruiting activities", which means he cannot contact recruits, although he may evaluate talent during that period. If a school does choose to hire him and chooses to challenge the NCAA restrictions, it must appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions and "show cause" for why the sanctions imposed on Pearl should not follow him to that school.[9] In imposing the penalty, the NCAA said that while Pearl's actual violations were not egregious, his lies elevated the case to a major one.[14] Since most schools will not even consider hiring a coach with a show-cause order in effect, it will likely have the effect of blackballing Pearl from the collegiate ranks until August 23, 2014. His assistant coaches were also given one-year show-cause orders, in effect until August 23, 2012.