"The Current North Texas Helmet Is Pathetic Considering...

Yes, it's the Bleacher Report which may sometimes in the next millineum actually say something nice about North Texas, but if you have a few minutes click thru some or all 120 NCAA FBS helmets and read some of their comments (of which I acutally agree with a few).

North Texas, Southern Miss :rolleyes: Rajun Cajuns and Boise State are the 4 schools with the most letters on their helmets; no other FBS school comes close to those 4.

The other 116 NCAA FBS schools use fewer letters, mascots or fewer letters/mascot combos on their helmets which allows those schools to have larger letters since they use, uh, fewer. :blink:

http://bleacherrepor...ootball-helmets

Dallas Morning News sportswriter legend Blackie Sherrod in his famous "Scattershootin' ..." Sunday AM column many times referred to us as "NorTex" in many of his columns thru the decades (and no I don't see that as an abbriviated answer to reducing our letters, either, but that just came to mind).

I also remember reading Sherrod's "Scattershootin" column when he once wrote "look for NorTex to be the next school to seek Southwest Conference membership" not long after UH had been admitted, circa 1972. (If Apogee had happened when it should have one can only wonder).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Link to the North Texas helmet:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/619642-love-the-lid-power-ranking-all-120-college-football-helmets/page/17

The current North Texas helmet is rather pathetic considering the team has such an awesome logo. The green is a nice shade, but just “North Texas” in white on the side? Please. Do something here!

Can't disagree with that.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 2

I think he is spot on...I'd love the helmet displayed by PlummMeanGreen

I found that eagle helmet in GMG.com archives in a Deep Green post.

Smitty was the one who very cleverly placed SOW on the helmet in what I think is a superb placement. Just sayin'.

Smitty, you still around?

GMG!

PS: Hey, it's off season so why not talk helmets? LOL

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Even though the B.R. has the old UNT helmet and never has all the information correct on any story they have ever done, it doesn't change the fact that this time, they are right. Our helmets are plain.

I think we could work a compromise. I wouldn't mind the "UNT" logo, with the eagle wings coming out of the top. I think that would look better then the plain "North Texas" on the side. When I get home, I'll draw it up and add it to this post.

Yes, it's the Bleacher Report which may sometimes in the next millineum actually say something nice about North Texas, but if you have a few minutes click thru some or all 120 NCAA FBS helmets and read some of their comments (of which I acutally agree with a few).

North Texas, Southern Miss :rolleyes: Rajun Cajuns and Boise State are the 4 schools with the most letters on their helmets; no other FBS school comes close to those 4.

The other 116 NCAA FBS schools use fewer letters, mascots or fewer letters/mascot combos on their helmets which allows those schools to have larger letters since they use, uh, fewer. :blink:

http://bleacherrepor...ootball-helmets

Dallas Morning News sportswriter legend Blackie Sherrod in his famous "Scattershootin' ..." Sunday AM column many times referred to us as "NorTex" in many of his columns thru the decades (and no I don't see that as an abbriviated answer to reducing our letters, either, but that just came to mind).

I also remember reading Sherrod's "Scattershootin" column when he once wrote "look for NorTex to be the next school to seek Southwest Conference membership" not long after UH had been admitted, circa 1972. (If Apogee had happened when it should have one can only wonder).

GMG!

Even though that is not our helmet, I like the design very much. I would definitely go for that helmet design.

GMG

3. The #1 helmet (OSU) is nothing but stickers? How high school-ish.

Ohio State University here...don't want to confuse anyone with what you are saying with Oklahoma States helmet...no stickers on the Cowboy's helmets...just sayin....

• Downvote 2

Ohio State University here...don't want to confuse anyone with what you are saying with Oklahoma States helmet...no stickers on the Cowboy's helmets...just sayin....

The other OSU is not without it's own transgressions...

a2079161339e78fd96256a_m.png

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 2

Even though that is not our helmet, I like the design very much. I would definitely go for that helmet design.

GMG

I liked it enough, mean green d' to make it my avator (for the moment at least).

Found that SOW helmet in a Deep Green post from quite awhile back. "Smitty" was the one who photo-shopped this SOW on the helmet. Looks sharp to me, but like any other idea that comes from GMG.com it will likely not happen. I guess the missing ingrediant in all of this is "Mean Green." Where would it appear or be made known as what we want to be called other than from broadcast booth announcers?

IF we get in the Alliance, 2013 would be a good time to change our sports gear, though, but not so radically as to start changing shades of green , icons and logos all over again.:rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I agree with the fact that "North Texas" is simply too much to put on a helmet. I get that we're going for the whole 'name branding' thing with our name- but is the helmet really where the Athletics Department wants to make their stand for name recognition.

Put the eagle on it. It looks super sweet, and different than most teams.

I've never really thought of it- but most schools just put their school letters on their hemlet and call it a day. That doesn't seem to be an option here with the "NT" vs "UNT" battle that seems to always get super heated.

But I think most can agree that the "North Texas" is simply not eye-catching.

Yes... It's the thick of the off-season now. I'm actually writing my bleacherreport article on cleats... So be looking for that one next month.

The other OSU is not without it's own transgressions...

a2079161339e78fd96256a_m.png

I don't disagree with that at all...not a fan of the grey helmet for OSU...the "real" OSU. Just wanted to point out that the High School sticker stuff belongs to that "other" OSU...Ohio State U.

EDIT: And, I could pretty much care less what's on UNT's helmets....I just want to see "W's" in the won/loss column...they can play in whatever helmet they choose...just win, Mean Green! Seems most folks here think that cures all ills, so maybe it would work for "helmet discussion" in the off-season as well. You think?

Edited by KRAM1

I'm just happy that the helmets are green again. Because we're "Mean Green"...well...that always seemed like a slam dunk to me. I realize that when we hired Southlake High's coach, we needed their uniforms as well.

Anyway, I'm happy to take it one step at a time:

(1) Get the helmet green again - CHECK

(2) NT or UNT or Worm or Son of Worm as logo - IN THE FUTURE

Gotta have something to look forward to. Can't-have-any-pudding-if-you-don't-eat-your-meat kind of thing with the green helmet being the meat and the logo being the pudding.

See? See what I'm saying here? Pudding and meat. It's all pudding and meat with this helmet thing.