The new Number 5

I think it would be cool to always have that number assigned to our top running back. We have been very fortunate to have some great running backs in our history and how cool of a tradition would it be to have that number used by future greats.

I'm a huge Dunbar fan, but I would consider the number 28 a more desireable number for a RB if we're talking UNT history.

It is my understanding that the current policy at UNT is to NOT retire numbers. Players can have their jersey numbers honored to indicate their contributions to the team and UNT after they complete their eligibility...and, as would be the case for basketball, the jersey could be hung at the Super Pit, but that the number would not be "retired" and would still be eligible for team use and distribution.

At least that's what I understand.

If that's correct, it's a good policy.

I'd like to further that idea by asking the former player or his family if that jersey number could be brought out of retirement and used by a current player. Have a ceremony at halftime and symbolically hand the jersey back to RV.

GO MEAN GREEN

I think it would be cool to always have that number assigned to our top running back. We have been very fortunate to have some great running backs in our history and how cool of a tradition would it be to have that number used by future greats.

This would be an awesome tradition to build on.

• Upvote 2

Retiring numbers is one of the coolest traditions in sports. Lance Dunbar certainly did enough at UNT to deserve that honor.

not to downplay his achievements... but what did he do?

should we retire every players number that breaks an all-time record at UNT? does that mean we should go back and retire all of the numbers of players who have all-time records? like it was said above... you need to do something very special to be considered... doesn't even have to be something on the field

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If that's correct, it's a good policy.

I'd like to further that idea by asking the former player or his family if that jersey number could be brought out of retirement and used by a current player. Have a ceremony at halftime and symbolically hand the jersey back to RV.

GO MEAN GREEN

I really like this idea. I too don't believe in retiring numbers, and this suggestion (ceremony to symbolically hand back the jersey) would be an excellent way to get the already-retired numbers back in use. I suggested a couple of years ago that numbers of past record setters be given to players who are the outstanding current players at the same position as those legendary/record setting North Texas players.

Using #28 for the outstanding current RB is a good one. However, you could get an argument from different generations of North Texas fans about what number they would want to use.

Would it be for our first ever 1K rusher, Leo Taylor (#21)? Or the man who broke his record, the late (great) Bernard Jackson (#23)?. Or Patrick Cobbs (#43)? The list could go on and on.

But since Abner Haynes had such a stellar career in the pros (he still holds some Kansas City Chiefs records), #28 would seem to be a safe selection for this position.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

should we retire every players number that breaks an all-time record at UNT? does that mean we should go back and retire all of the numbers of players who have all-time records? like it was said above... you need to do something very special to be considered... doesn't even have to be something on the field

He didn't just break one record. He rewrote the UNT record books.

• Upvote 1

I agree with the general sentiment, but not with the Dunbar specifics. He didn't break a record, he broke nearly every rushing record. And he's up there, if not at the top, with scoring too.

I agree with the general sentiment, but not with the Dunbar specifics. He didn't break a record, he broke nearly every rushing record. And he's up there, if not at the top, with scoring too.

also i think one of only 6 players in NCAA history to have 4,000 plus yard rushing and 1,000 yards reciving...or something like that, dont remember the numbers but he was the six person EVER in the ncaa to do it.

• Upvote 1

It is not unusual for underclassmen to take their favorite numbers as they become available.

There are four retired numbers

28 - Abner Haynes (1957–59)- Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Honor Chiefs number is retired.

33 - Ray Renfro (1949–50) - Cleveland Browns Legends Inductee

55 - Richard Gill (1968–69)- Died after having knee surgery between his Jr. and Sr. year. First to have number retired.

75 - "Mean" Joe Greene (1966–69)- No need to explain