Rick Spears ala Green Grenade

UNTLifer

God bless his sweet soul. He was at our tailgate at Apogee and did incredible sketches for everyone... An incredible talent...a big believer in North Texas and my prayers are with him. GMG

This reminds me about something that I've been thinking about for some time. Someone needs to sit down with these very loyal alums and (via video and/or audio recording) get a verbal history of North Texas sports. There are some very knowledgeable people out there. And as this thread reminds us, they aren't going to be with us for very much longer.

We've had a book written (and updated) about the story of North Texas, but I've never seen one written about the history of North Texas sports. Assuming that anyone is interested in this, I will be glad to volunteer my time to help with this.

As part of this project, there can be large segments covering the Green Brigade, the Talons, and the Green Jackets. Actually, there could be a whole separate project on the history of the Green Brigade.

OR, people can continue to come to this venue/forum to post the latest penis, and other rude Junior High-like jokes that they just made up.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

This reminds me about something that I've been thinking about for some time. Someone needs to sit down with these very loyal alums and (via video and/or audio recording) get a verbal history of North Texas sports. There are some very knowledgeable people out there. And as this thread reminds us, they aren't going to be with us for very much longer.

We've had a book written (and updated) about the story of North Texas, but I've never seen one written about the history of North Texas sports. Assuming that anyone is interested in this, I will be glad to volunteer my time to help with this.

As part of this project, there can be large segments covering the Green Brigade, the Talons, and the Green Jackets. Actually, there could be a whole separate project on the history of the Green Brigade.

I think this is a very good idea! Someone who is good at writing/journalism should do this.

OR, people can continue to come to this venue/forum to post the latest penis, and other rude Junior High-like jokes that they just made up.

Why not AND instead of OR?

SilverEagle , I agree with MeanGreenTexan...great idea !

And don't forget the Geezles in all this, too, right Mack Cope? :thumbsu:

I remember back when North Texas did some oral history recordings with WWII and Pearl Harbor vets. In fact, I've heard some of those orals on National Public Radio (NPR).

Wish someone could sit down with Hayden Fry with a digital recording device pretty soon. I would love to hear Coach Fry talk in detail about that trip to Knoxville, Tennessee, with what many of us still think was our biggest all time college football win; especially since the Volunteers had 6 wins in 1975 which would have made them a bowl team in this present era. Also, there was a front page photo in either the Dallas Morning News or Dallas Times Herald of our team upon return to Love Field with a an enourmous number of Mean Gren fans waiting for our Mean Green heros. If it could be found, that photo would be a great addition for such a book, SilverEagle.

The best time to go to press with such a book is when a top ranked North Texas Mean Green wins the entire Alliance championship, gets a BCS bowl for doing so and then wins that BCS bowl game :blink: . (Any time before that would do as well, of course).

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I've been thinking for a while about writing a history of UNT sports. One of my journalism professors, the late Jim Rogers, wrote The Story of North Texas.

• Upvote 1

This was something that I thought about earlier this year and discussed doing with another member on this board. Think it would be nice to have a coffee table book with vintage pics, too. I'd definitely be interested in being involved in making this happen.

Edited by Eagle1855

I've been thinking for a while about writing a history of UNT sports. One of my journalism professors, the late Jim Rogers, wrote The Story of North Texas.

Are you still in the journalism business? If so, you and Green Bat would seem to be ideal candidates to author something like this.

Since someone mentioned a coffee table book with "vintage photos", that raises a question.... and I've thought about this for some time. Where are the "vintage" photos of North Texas sports....and the organizations associated with them? Who is the keeper of these photos? How can they be accessed?

Another suggestion. Until such time as this project gets going, why not have a "History" thread pinned in each of the sports forums. People can post their remembrances about North Texas sports, and sporting events...and spirit organizations. Maybe there could be a thread for each decade.

We want something to do here in the off season? Well, here it is! And EVERYONE can be a part of it.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Are you still in the journalism business? If so, you and Green Bat would seem to be ideal candidates to author something like this.

Since someone mentioned a coffee table book with "vintage photos", that raises a question.... and I've thought about this for some time. Where are the "vintage" photos of North Texas sports....and the organizations associated with them? Who is the keeper of these photos? How can they be accessed?

Another suggestion. Until such time as this project gets going, why not have a "History" thread pinned in each of the sports forums. People can post their remembrances about North Texas sports, and sporting events...and spirit organizations. Maybe there could be a thread for each decade.

We want something to do here in the off season? Well, here it is! And EVERYONE can be a part of it.

This is a really good idea. I would much rather read through some of you old-timers' posts on Mean Green history than another re-alignment thread.

Not since the days of debating on how to bring denizens from the town of Mexia to Mean Green Football games has an idea been so brilliant!

• Upvote 2

Sort of -- I publish a political news site and write computer books on programming. I'm in Florida, so I don't get to Denton often, but we come back every summer.