Chase Walling

BigPonyFan

The main thing in life I have always hated, even though I was taught never to hate, was the kids who were given everything and didn't have to work for it. My sister and I weren't raised in the best circumstances, but we both are paying our own way through school(She graduated @ TCU, now doing grad school @ UNC, I've paid for everything myself in three years of school @ NCTC/UNT)

We'll see in ten years who has more money they made themselves, the SMU grad driving the Benz daddy bought him or the kid from a trailerpark who paid his own way. I don't care if you're fortunate enough to have rich parents, that doesn't make you any better than the next person. The arrogance and superiority complex of many SMU folks makes me dislike their school and alums. And to be honest, it's not a jealous type of dislike, it's the kind where I just don't want anything to do with the school. Will the games played starting in 2014 be great for both schools? No doubt, but would I care if they were taken off the schedule? Not really...

*I'm not trying to compare SMU/UNT to my life, I don't want it to seem like I'm saying SMU students are rich and our students are from trailerparks, just saying the high number of students there living off daddy and their sense of entitlement is what creates my disdain for their university.

Ditto

just saying the high number of students there living off daddy and their sense of entitlement is what creates my disdain for their university.

That's where I think many UNT fans misunderstand (IMO). Of SMU's 12,000 students, 5,000 are grad students. Of the 7,000 undergrad, a very large percentage are on scholarship (or don't meet your stereotype).

So while you're busy hating some "over-privileged SMU fan", you're probably blasting some Altima driving SMU fan that doesn't come close to mirroring the said stereotype.

• Upvote 1

Well, you could start with the commments your administration/BOR made about my university years ago, the utter disregard for the rules that resulted in the Death Penalty and the majority of your fans/students/alumni that think they are better because Daddy funded their overly priced education and BMW. You may be the exception to the rule, but I wish nothing but failure on SMU. Merry Christmas.

You sound jaded. You definitely don't speak for me or UNT.

• Upvote 4

This thread is honestly pretty pathetic and sad. I wish that some of our fans here at UNT would grow up and get over the comments that might have hurt their feelings. Move on already. Let's transfer holding so much hatred towards SMU for something that most of the people affiliated with the school can't even control. Some of the UNT fans on this board actually act pretty childish when it comes to the SMU situation if you ask me. Yes, this includes you UNTLifer.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Why all the noise? Every commit is fair game until the LOI is signed. The stereotypes of SMU are borderline dumb, and I have attended both NT and SMU although eons ago so I have a little basis for my opinion. There are rich students going to NT and poor ones going to SMU but unfortunately most at both schools could not care less about athletics.

SMU's administration has made it very clear in the past that are going do everything they can do to distance themselves athletically from NT. However, they have signed a multiple game football series contract and play NT in most sports although they apparently want no part of NT on the basketball court. Sure some of their message board posters are asses, but every board from every school have plenty of those. My guess is some of the SMU worst never went to SMU at all.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

While I don't understand the 'hate' word getting tossed around in regards to how some folks feel about SMU, I certainly understand where UNTLifer is coming from. It kind of goes back to all the rumors and excuses that have festered in Mean Green Nation ever since Hayden's attempt to get us admitted to the SWC failed, including the perceived scheduling practices that SMU employs with us (only scheduling us when we are down or they are up), and again in 2004 when they publicly endorsed LaTech for CUSA membership instead of us.

Most of the rumors are based in the belief that SMU simply does not want to compete with us, yet we are constantly having to compete with them for exposure in the DFW area. Recently, our most connected alums were publicly wishing for SMU to get a Big East invite so that SMU could no longer "block" us from CUSA by effectively leaving us as the sole FBS level school in the DFW area available for expansion at that level. To me, that's a kick in the face. This is a school that cannot draw 10k fans to it's home football games and has it's players and coaches giving interviews claiming that they'd rather play on the road, in front of actual fans, than at home in an empty stadium?! SMU has tried for 80 years to capture the Dallas market...and up until the Cowboys came to town, were probably fairly successful. Since then, for 50 years, they have proven, again and again, that their best years are behind them. UNT fans believe that our best years are still ahead. We relish the chance to truly compete with SMU, and finally pass them by. And that's where the problem is, precisely.

Harry's thread about what he wants to see come out of this new realignment effort is spot on---tell us once and for all, in black and white print, why we are not getting chosen for admittance. Stop all the rumors and excuse making.

Edited by TIgreen01

He seems like a great young man, so the school that ends up with him should be very thrilled.

BPF, You sound like an smart football fan. I agree, UNT or SMU will be thrilled to sign this outstanding young man.