Windmills

mgfan

The wind turbines have been getting some bad press of late. One I read said they are more trouble than they are really worth and are not that great as a provider of energy.

Bird and American eagle lovers have a case that the windmill like turbines kill thousands of birds of all species, especially eagles.

Maybe our UNT BOR's need to take another look at this before they get too green on an idea that may not be so keen?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The wind turbines have been getting some bad press of late. One I read said they are more trouble than they are really worth and are not that great as a provider of energy.

Bird and American eagle lovers have a case that the windmill like turbines kill thousands of birds of all species, especially eagles.

Maybe our UNT BOR's need to take another look at this before they get too green on an idea that may not be so keen?

Seeing a hawk flying overhead before the Houston kickoff (might have been an eagle) was an awesome sight and I think we should axe the windmills all together.

I believe birds cannot seem them when the blades are rotating. I also believe that many wind turbines are now painted so birds can see them. Lastly, if we don't produce more alternative energy in 50 years there will be no more birds to run into the blades.... at least that is what I learned from Al Gore.

Have you ever seen a wind turbine? They are still painted the same color as always, white, and the blades don't even turn that fast. Their are too many to count out here in west Texas, and I have yet to see a pile of dead birds behind any or any reports of an odd number of bird deaths. Below are statistics on the causes of bird deaths annually:

Man-made structure/technology

Associated bird deaths per year (U.S.)

Feral and domestic cats

Hundreds of millions [source: AWEA]

Power lines

130 million -- 174 million [source: AWEA]

Windows (residential and commercial)

100 million -- 1 billion [source: TreeHugger]

Pesticides

70 million [source: AWEA]

Automobiles

60 million -- 80 million [source: AWEA]

Lighted communication towers

40 million -- 50 million [source: AWEA]

Wind turbines

10,000 -- 40,000 [source: ABC]

• Upvote 3

are birds not smart enough to not fly into them??? survival of the fittest, if they aren't...

There were no windmills over most of the evolutionary history of birds. It's a bit unreasonable to expect them to respond well to something they had no opportunity to adapt to.

God bless Texas!

• Upvote 1

There were no windmills over most of the evolutionary history of birds. It's a bit unreasonable to expect them to respond well to something they had no opportunity to adapt to.

God bless Texas!

Really? Windmills were used all over rural America to pump water, they just weren't as tall as the wind turbines of today. What about the windmills in the Netherlands?