DB's

H-towngreen

Our db's did better than I thought...its our d-line that did us in tonight. No pressure except fo about 6-8 plays.

Houston continually had guys getting behind our secondary. Fortunately they didn't connect on a few of them. There was also that one touchdown where we didn't even cover the receiver.

We got some pressure on the QB but we were always a step late from getting the sack. Our DB's did ok but had their own issues. We just need some talent upgrades.

i don't and will not blame the refs for this, but please tell me i wasn't the only one frustrated with the lack of holding calls.

You were not. I'll agree the line did them no favors but when you've run step for step with a wr 30 yards down the field there just has to be something in you telling you to look back for the ball. It's happened over and over and over for the past 4 years.

• Upvote 1

i only saw 1 hand touch Keenum all night and he rarely needed to scramble. We were absolutely outmatched at every position on the line.

the experience from the first few weeks will be awesome for us by the time we get to conference play. for some crazy reason, i still believe 4 wins is still possible once we get out of September. we played a full half of almost perfect football minus the fumbled punt and I couldn't ask for anything more on opening day against a team that may go undefeated.

Imagine the bad scheduling luck it would be for us if all 3 of the first teams we play go undefeated... just might happen

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There is one thing that we desparately need to teach our safeties. If the WR runs past you and there is no one behind you, grab the guy and throw him to the ground! The 15 yard holding or interference penalty is much better than giving up a 70 yard TD pass. These has happened two weeks in a row now.

In the first half, I feel like the line (and occasional blitz) got at least some pressure. Keenum was forced to run around a few times, and we forced him to fumble early. I agree that we got NO pressure in the second half... possibly just got worn down.

the DBs were probably a C-... I'd give them lower if not for the fact that Houston was held relatively in check the first half (points were mostly the result of bad, bad turnovers). Like Green p1 said, Keenum missed a few early throws when his WR was a good 6-7 YARDS behind our deepest guy. Our safety (didn't catch who) played an early UH TD horribly, and there were times the DB would just be unable to "find" the ball. As the game went on, UH receivers got wider and wider open... and we gave up 500+ yards passing.

i don't and will not blame the refs for this, but please tell me i wasn't the only one frustrated with the lack of holding calls.

I've been reading this almost weekly on opponents' boards for almost three years now, including last week against UCLA.

Either most fans don't really know the rules about holding, or there's a conspiracy where referees in Conference USA, Big XII, SEC, and Pac 12 refuse to call holding on UH.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

We got almost no pressure on Keenum which forced our secondary to cover for way too long. When you cannot pressure a quarterback, receivers usually find a way to get open. The only times I recall the Mean Green got pressure was by blitzing. Like our offensive line, the defensive line will likely be a top priority in the next couple of recruiting classes.

• Upvote 2

Someone obviously coached the bench players on how to wave their arms up to get the crowd on their feet and yelling.

Whoever it was, I wish they coached DBs. Some of those guys play like they wouldn't put their hands up even if the receiver stuck a gun in their face.

That's the only thing about today that really bothered me.

Someone obviously coached the bench players on how to wave their arms up to get the crowd on their feet and yelling.

Whoever it was, I wish they coached DBs. Some of those guys play like they wouldn't put their hands up even if the receiver stuck a gun in their face.

That's the only thing about today that really bothered me.

I had been thinking before I read this that at least in the recent past, a lineman or two would get his arms up to try and tip the ball. I noticed the 6'6" de from Argyle who is our most recent recruit mentioned that as something (at least ) that he could do if he couldn't get to the quarterback. I hope someone will show that video to our defensive linemen. As disappointed as I was in them tonight, it did look like the coaching staff was on their case. Still, it didn't look like anything creative was done as far as play calling; If anyone more knowledgeable than me saw any stunts, please correct me. Heck, if we can't get any pressure with 4 down linemen, go with 3 and send a rusher from another position; something. These quarterbacks will just take us apart with all that time in the pocket.

I've been reading this almost weekly on opponents' boards for almost three years now, including last week against UCLA.

Either most fans don't really know the rules about holding, or there's a conspiracy where referees in Conference USA, Big XII, SEC, and Pac 12 refuse to call holding on UH.

Reminds me of a certain someone.

"You either double team him, or you hold him..."

You can only expect DB's to cover wide recievers for a certain amount of time. When the D-Line & blitzers are blocked, and Keenum moves around in the pocket like a heisman contender, coverage will break down. The times he was hurried, he threw several incompletions.

What are you guys expecting? If we get better pressure up front, Keenum has to make the throws earlier. Our DB's are probably still covering, and maybe we get a different result.

I noticed Warner on the field alot last night. There will be growing pains when he is.

Our kids played well in the first half. They made positive plays and often out-hustled the Coogs. In the second half Houston found their footing and did the things a good team should do. Make no mistake - The University of Houston is a very good football team - they have a great college quarterback and a talented set of receivers. I won't be surprised if the Coogs go undefeated.

As for UNT, once we get past Alabama things will get better. We've already played the best SBC team and I think we'll beat our share of the rest of a weak conference. By December we'll all be feeling better than we do now. After signing day, we'll be down-right giddy and ready to predict a National Championship in 2012.

God bless Texas

Our db's did better than I thought...its our d-line that did us in tonight. No pressure except fo about 6-8 plays.

We had pressure on occasion, but Houston knows how to hide holds from a zebra 5 yards away.

When the opponent needs 5 yards or less, bring the cornerbacks in and teach them to knock the reciever on their ass as they come off the line. Disrupt their routes.

Comeon!!!!!How can it be Dline, when Db's couldn't cover anyone in the 2nd half. Our Db's need to cover for 3 to 4 secs to allow the line get past the tackle..

I'm going to split this point in half:

1) I thought at least one of the TDs we gave up was broken protection. That is not a Dline thing, nor an ability thing. It is a mistake or miscommunication.

2) Good pass defense starts with QB pressure. plain and simple.

Our corners had their hands full as you would expect when facing a QB like Keenum. They did a pretty good job, but the safeties flat blew coverage at least twice which resulted in TD's. Our safeties have to play pass first and know the coverage when playing teams that can pass like FIU and Houston.