Any Questions for Rick V?

Harry

RV mentioned that the Apogee deal would help other sports as well. What can we expect in the near future? Indoor football facility? Baseball?

How is he preparing NT for the conference shuffle that is about to occur?

This, this, and this...

1. indoor facility?

2. baseball?

3. making case to CUSA/MWC/Big12?

4. Bonnie Brae widening?

5. Walkway across I-35E?

I know this is beating a dead horse but can we get a real answer as to why the Eagle is not on the helmet. And don't give me so people know who we are. It's on our jerseys...blah blah blah.

It could merely be a preference thing.

Having said that, I do remember sitting in a gym in 8th grade, voting on my future high school's mascot and colors. We were briefed by a marketing "expert" on bird mascots. The gist is this: birds just don't offer a whole lot of options regarding how to make them "look".

My 0.02 cents: I happen to like the SOW, but if we put it on there someone might think we're copying the USPS. And we've done an eagle head before. It looks like a Philly Eagle logo ripoff.

We did it right decades ago, establishing an Eagle that people can identify UNT with. Unfortunately for that eagle (and awesome for the fan base), it looked like a worm.

Dag-nabit TFLF. I tried to remove one of your -1s and accidentally gave you another -1. So just know that although the current negative count shows as -4, you should really have a much more reasonably shameful -2. Although I can see people's reasoning behind the negative points (post inappropriately long, absurdly off topic at times) I contend that the off-topicness and inappropriateness was somewhat less inappropriate and significantly more humorous than apparently the rest of the citizens at GMG.com.

So to recap:

- Still an inappropriate use of off topic humor

- Less inappropriate than other's have judged them to be

- Please continue to be off topic and amusingly random.

- I ask that if the off topic remarks continue, that they pass what I will refer to as the 2 step approval process

-That they be humorous

- That if they be irreverent, that that serves a purpose of educating or furthering some worthy cause relative to GMG.com or UNT athletics at large.

Thanks,

Management

What, if anything, is the athletic department doing to reach out to local retailers like Rally House, Hibbett's, Sports Authority, Academy, etc to get our gear carried next to TCU and SMU?

Are they doing anything differently within Denton and surrounding area marketing-wise to engage the community than in past years?

What happened with the firm that was hired to look at marketing/branding in general?

It could merely be a preference thing.

Having said that, I do remember sitting in a gym in 8th grade, voting on my future high school's mascot and colors. We were briefed by a marketing "expert" on bird mascots. The gist is this: birds just don't offer a whole lot of options regarding how to make them "look".

My 0.02 cents: I happen to like the SOW, but if we put it on there someone might think we're copying the USPS. And we've done an eagle head before. It looks like a Philly Eagle logo ripoff.

We did it right decades ago, establishing an Eagle that people can identify UNT with. Unfortunately for that eagle (and awesome for the fan base), it looked like a worm.

That's hilarious about your experience in 8th grade. No different than lions, tigers and bears. Oh my. ;)

Branding is even more important now because the new stadium is not only a huge step facilities wise, but tremendously symbolic as well. I love our logo but calling it the SOW (Son of Worm) sounds so goofy. I think we need to re-brand what we call it without question. I think the "Eagle" suffices. ; )

Who cares that at one time we had a logo that looked like a worm. In all honesty, they look nothing alike.

JRock

Edited by JRock

Dag-nabit TFLF. I tried to remove one of your -1s and accidentally gave you another -1. So just know that although the current negative count shows as -4, you should really have a much more reasonably shameful -2. Although I can see people's reasoning behind the negative points (post inappropriately long, absurdly off topic at times) I contend that the off-topicness and inappropriateness was somewhat less inappropriate and significantly more humorous than apparently the rest of the citizens at GMG.com.

So to recap:

- Still an inappropriate use of off topic humor

- Less inappropriate than other's have judged them to be

- Please continue to be off topic and amusingly random.

- I ask that if the off topic remarks continue, that they pass what I will refer to as the 2 step approval process

-That they be humorous

- That if they be irreverent, that that serves a purpose of educating or furthering some worthy cause relative to GMG.com or UNT athletics at large.

Thanks,

Management

What's the problem? I got a huge head start on people in pestering Rick about the future hockey program. With a hockey program, even the Big Ten will have to view us differently.

• Upvote 1

What, if anything, is the athletic department doing to reach out to local retailers like Rally House, Hibbett's, Sports Authority, Academy, etc to get our gear carried next to TCU and SMU?

You hit on a sore spot for me. There is a Rally House down the street from me that used to have an okay selection of UNT gear, but it's been dwindling. When I asked them about it, they said that UNT was trying to keep sales closer to Denton and cutting them out, so all they had to sell was on the shelves and nothing new would be coming in. I followed up with RV and was told that UNT will license to anyone for a relatively small fee. I followed back up with Ralley House again and pushed the issue. They then came back and said that UNT wouldn't let them sell the merchandise with the higher markup Rally House was wanting to charge. Rally House then gave me a sob story about how they can't stay in business with margins that small.

Who knows what's really going on.

Are they doing anything differently within Denton and surrounding area marketing-wise to engage the community than in past years?

What happened with the firm that was hired to look at marketing/branding in general?

Add Fanzz to that list also. Went to their store at Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, no NT apparel at all.

The bookstore is selling Nike golf shirts for $60 and Nike T-shirts for $40. What the hell kind of margins are we talking about? :lol:

You can make your own t-shirt:

http://www.customink.com/

http://www.inkgarden.com/Content.aspx?Page=Landing+Page+-+Shirts+-+New+-+50%25+off&PK=b53baa0c-0d18-475c-badd-01a19bc5eaeb

http://www.zazzle.com/custom/tshirts

http://www.rushordertees.com/designstudio

http://www.bluecotton.com/

http://www.cafepress.com/

Make one for each game. Sell them as bootlegs like people do outside of concerts!

(Just kidding. Do not do that. You'll end up making more money than the school since it won't let Rally House sell them. Bite the bullet and drop $40 on a t-shirt)

The bookstore is selling Nike golf shirts for $60 and Nike T-shirts for $40. What the hell kind of margins are we talking about? :lol:

Harry....can you ask two questions for me?

1.) What is the status of the Nike Gear and any idea when the rest will be available? I will pay $60 for a Nike Polo but I don't really want to wear the same one that everyone else is rockin.

2.) Any idea on the groundbreaking for the Walkway? Once people at least see this being built it will assuage the concern of the "waaahhhhh......but it's so far of a walk!!" types.

You hit on a sore spot for me. There is a Rally House down the street from me that used to have an okay selection of UNT gear, but it's been dwindling. When I asked them about it, they said that UNT was trying to keep sales closer to Denton and cutting them out, so all they had to sell was on the shelves and nothing new would be coming in. I followed up with RV and was told that UNT will license to anyone for a relatively small fee. I followed back up with Ralley House again and pushed the issue. They then came back and said that UNT wouldn't let them sell the merchandise with the higher markup Rally House was wanting to charge. Rally House then gave me a sob story about how they can't stay in business with margins that small.

Who knows what's really going on.

What a crock of SH--!!! answer to your questions and concerns. Who were you talking to, a 10 year old? Their purchaser can buy NT products from a multitude of CLC licensed suppliers at their minimum order and price, then charge you and I whatever they think we will buy it for?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick