Intensity At Practices

LongJim

I am really glad to see the intensity level at practices reported as "high". I believe it'll pay off as the season wears on. Below are some comments from an observer of a recent 0U practice, which I think is telling, and glad to see UNT doing similar.

"Practice was fun to see. The OU coaches were all intense and demanding. I didn't see a lot of "nurturing". Venebles is a psycho. Watched for about 20 minutes. No a lot of standing around.

They have a kid #31 that's a running back that came from Langston University (sat out last year). He's big and fast. According to their "record wall" information he's also already topped 3 of 5 of Adrian Peterson's positional lifting and speed records. He was working on special teams and looked dominating in that role. Don't know his name, but he'll see the field.

The "flavor" of the whole place is different. It's louder and flashier. More collegiate and less pro. The energy level everywhere I went was high. Everyone was doing whatever they were doing with a sense of urgency, whether it was Stoops or the ball boys. The have fights on the field daily. I know the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence, but you can see why they get the most out of their guys and find the diamonds in the rough to fill in where needed. You bring it every day or you sit. You hear that come out of everybody's mouth constantly on the field.

I saw no one on the field that looked privileged or entitled. When Landry Jones threw a bad pass, they jerked his ass off the field and got in his face.

Venebles has a chip permanently attached on his shoulder and he never lets anyone forget it."

Will we be praising the new practices and calling ourselves big boys when a player or two get injured hitting in spring practice?

i"d rather have them hurt in SPRING PRACTICE, rather than the season. They'll get better before it counts!

• Upvote 1

Will we be praising the new practices and calling ourselves big boys when a player or two get injured hitting in spring practice?

No one likes it, but injuries do happen with a contact sport. You can't baby players in practice and hope to be successful on game day.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 4

I will still support the hitting in practices regardless of injury. We've missed nastiness/toughness over the past few years. I long for the days when offenses didn't want to throw over the middle on us cause our safeties were notorious head hunters. We were nasty in the trenches on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Personally, I'm glad that Coach Mac has identified this area as a critical component to the teams future success.

• Upvote 4

I will still support the hitting in practices regardless of injury. We've missed nastiness/toughness over the past few years. I long for the days when offenses didn't want to throw over the middle on us cause our safeties were notorious head hunters. We were nasty in the trenches on the offensive and defensive side of the ball. Personally, I'm glad that Coach Mac has identified this area as a critical component to the teams future success.

"Thoooooooooose Were the Daaaaaaaays!"

2009070215285849.jpg

I agree with this, with one exception. I might suggest a yellow/red jersey for Lance Dunbar... that's about it. Anyone else can hit/be hit in practice.

• Upvote 1

I agree with this, with one exception. I might suggest a yellow/red jersey for Lance Dunbar... that's about it. Anyone else can hit/be hit in practice.

I would add the QB's to that list too....We don't need our 4th string QB to play considerably this year.

Well, considering we had about 50 of them get hurt last year in practices that were far less intense, I really don't see a down side.

"It's about time the Mean Green started hitting each other. Everything, including Sun Belt titles, will start falling into its rightful place." - Sir Isaac Newton

Silly, that was a quote from Stone Cold Steve Austin... or was it Roy Orbison