Spring Game Talk On The Ticket

UNT 90 Grad

Craig Miller was just bagging on UNT for moving the Spring Game to a high school stadium. He asked "what other D1 school would do this". He then asked if you could imagine Texas moving their spring game to Austin Westlake. Jub Jub backed up the school pointing out that there was a conflicting track event that weekend and that we won't have that problem in the new stadium since there is not track.

I'm not much of a Craig Miller fan. :thumbsd:

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Miller is such a dork, but at least they were talking UNT football. Obviously Craig Miller has, once again, no idea what he is talking about...the Super Bowl teams practiced in HS stadiums and facilities for gosh sake. Good for George for telling the "rest of the story".

The bad news...once more Craig Miller shows what a dork he really is...the good news...UNT spring football was a topic of conversation on the Ticket and George was there to give Miller a few facts that he obviously has no clue about. Then again, when one is clueless like Miller, it often reflects more on him than it does UNT.

Maybe he's the dork they use to try to ramp up ratings by knocking a local university and getting its fans hyped up about it all. Since he comes off as stupid and dorky, do you think it's all a game? maybe a way for the Ticket to attract UNT fans waiting for Miller to show how stupid he is on the air? Could be.....

Thanks George...GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Guys, we can't continue bagging on the opinions of those who don't fully support our program. Those opinions are the ones we need to be thinking about when decisions are made.

Guys like George will always defend UNT. Guys like Craig have an unbiased vantage point and can tell it like it is.

I can appreciate George for his love of the school. But I can also place value on Craig's thoughts because they come from the pool of UNT alumni we need to start backing us.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Guys, we can't continue bagging on the opinions of those who don't fully support our program. Those opinions are the ones we need to be thinking about when decisions are made.

Guys like George will always defend UNT. Guys like Craig have an unbiased vantage point and can tell it like it is.

I can appreciate George for his love of the school. But I can also place value on Craig's thoughts because they come from the pool of UNT alumni we need to start backing us.

I will disagree here. He is not unbiased and proves it whenever he talks about UNT. Not sure what happened to make him feel the way he does, but he does have something against the university.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

WHY IS THIS SURPRISING TO ANY OF YOU????

Craig Miller has been a front running OU "t-shirt alumnus" for years. He bags on his alma mater at every possible chance. He's not the kind of alumnus we need to reach out to...he's the kind we need to prove wrong! He's not gonna come around regardless of what we say or do and we shouldn't continue to wast the negative energy getting disappointed or angry about what a douche with a microphone has to say. If NT takes care of NT's business his rantings will fall on deaf ears. Simple as that.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

Craig Miller has been a front running OU "t-shirt alumnus" for years. He bags on his alma mater at every possible chance. He's not the kind of alumnus we need to reach out to...he's the kind we need to prove wrong! He's not gonna come around regardless of what we say or do and we shouldn't continue to wast the negative energy getting disappointed or angry about what a douche with a microphone has to say. If NT takes care of NT's business his rantings will fall on deaf ears. Simple as that.

Could you maybe arrest him?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

He's not the kind of alumnus we need to reach out to...

Really?

To grow the program what alumnus DO we reach out to? Those that don't care much about college athletics or those that are t-shirt fans of a bigger program?

Take Corby for example. He's a t-shirt fan of OU as well but with the success of TCU is now in support of what they're doing in Ft Worth. I think the t-shirt fans are the exact ones we need to attract.

• Downvote 1

Fouts is no longer our football stadium. I don't see this as a scheduling conflict with the track event. I view this as a scheduling conflict with the new stadium not being complete yet. Since we couldn't play the spring game at our new stadium we simply chose the next best stadium in Denton.

Really?

To grow the program what alumnus DO we reach out to? Those that don't care much about college athletics or those that are t-shirt fans of a bigger program?

Take Corby for example. He's a t-shirt fan of OU as well but with the success of TCU is now in support of what they're doing in Ft Worth. I think the t-shirt fans are the exact ones we need to attract.

I don't think Craig Miller will ever support this program. Trying to convert him is a waste of time/energy.

Fouts is no longer our football stadium. I don't see this as a scheduling conflict with the track event. I view this as a scheduling conflict with the new stadium not being complete yet. Since we couldn't play the spring game at our new stadium we simply chose the next best stadium in Denton.

The new stadium was never going to be completed in time for the 2011 Spring Game. We knew that when construction was started back in January 2010.

Edited by UNTFan23

The new stadium was never going to be completed in time for the 2011 Spring Game. We knew that when construction was started back in January 2010.

I know. The post was more my spin on the situation to make it sound better than "UNT can't even play their spring game in their own stadium, they have to go to a high school stadium". My point was Fouts is no longer our football stadium so this track conflict doesn't bother me.

...And it already won with "Dances With Wolves"

Emmitt...check your PM's

His dad played football at OU. I think if your dad played football somewhere, you'd probably have grown up cheering for that team. Miller lived in OKC as a kid before his parents moved to Lancaster. About the same thing. No other sports in OKC back then except the Sooners (and minor league hockey).

I don't consider those guy t-shirt fans. To me, t-shirt fans are the ones who jump on the bandwagon because of a particular player or era. With OU there were probably people down here following them because of Adrian Peterson. Or, all of the Miami Hurricane fans I knew growing up in Richardson, Texas in the 1980s who had no family or friends anywhere near the state of Florida let alone Miami.

It's the same as any other big time school.

What we need to do is subdue the penis envy for these other schools and win. People like winners. Winners draw people. Let's do some of it, winning, instead of sitting around and complaining about what other people do and wear.

Cowflop. Cowf. Lop.

1.jpg

T-shirt fan Napolean Dynamite, sparing GoMeanGreen.com's

T-shirt/College Loyalty Mounted Police with his Ricks College t-shirt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Craig is typical of many NT alums, although some what of an anonymity because he is in the sports broadcasting business. My guess that Craig and an army of other NT alums who have switched allegiance to "name pro like universities" would embrace NT if it is successful in a move up in the athletic world a la TCU, Boise, and others.

My problem with Miller is that being close to collegian sports, he should know the obstacles a program like NT faces and be supportive, not the typical ignoramus who picks programs based on resources, wins or even who he grow up supporting. My favorite school growing up was TCU, but I didn't go there and frankly care little about their program now. It is interesting with the large number of NT alums in broadcasting, the vast majority are still some of the biggest NT fans.

As far as the stadium for the spring game, I would much prefer it to be on campus, but you can blame that on the AD department. Frankly, if teams wanted to put interest back into spring games, they would threat them as actual games as they did in the past. I don't understand how teams have hard hitting drills all spring, then conclude with a watered down scrimmage. Dodge's were the worst, with some kind of incomprehensible scoring system and hands off the QB's and returners.

Edited by GrandGreen