Mountain West Conference Meeting Today

NT80

UTEP Prez comments on wanting to stay with Texas schools... http://elpasotimes.typepad.com/utepsports/2011/01/utep-at-houstonmountain-west-talk.html

One poster on MWC board says expansion could involve SJSU and UNT... http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=31043

Hawaii newspaper article on MWC meetings about expansion, including Comcast impact on decision...

http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20110123_Comcast_contract_talks_could_lead_to_more_MWC_expansion.html

Unless Prez' Rawlins, Consultant Neinas and AD Villarreal have had some extremely effective conversations with MWC Commish' Thompson, I'm not expecting North Texas to find a quick seat to sit in at this MWC cake walk this time around. A surprise would be most welcome but I don't see it for now.

The majority of us know we would have much to offer the MWC (including whatever the MWC's interrpretation of a TV market is which would be more than Utah States) and North Texas would hardly come in to this league hat in hand.

If short and long term upside was part of their criteria for new members, then UNT would be toward the top of their list.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Unless Prez' Rawlins, Consultant Neinas and AD Villarreal have had some extremely effective conversations with MWC Commish' Thompson, I'm not expecting North Texas to find a quick seat to sit in at this MWC cake walk this time around. A surprise would be most welcome but I don't see it for now.

The majority of us know we would have much to offer the MWC (including whatever the MWC's interrpretation of a TV market is which would be more than Utah States) and North Texas would hardly come in to this league hat in hand.

If short and long term upside was part of their criteria for new members, then UNT would be toward the top of their list.

GMG!

not a given that mwc will expand, but if they do, my $ is on sjsu and usu. sdsu,fresno, and sjsu have same chancellor who wants them together, plus the spartans bring a lot of tv sets [ they may not be turned on, but....]. usu is getting alot of corporate backing, including DESERET,a health care company that i think is either owned or affiliated in some manner with the MORMON CHURCH. a lot of balls in the air, lets see where they fall.

USU I could see, but there's no reason for them to invite SJSU unless the dollar figure from Comcast is so great that it can't be ignored. The program is bordering bankrupt, California is bankrupt, no one watches/cares about SJSU, their facilities are old, etc etc. Their last basketball game had 1800 people show up. Their last football game had 8500. Even if NT isn't brought into the MWC, I would be floored if SJSU is.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

So SJSU has gone from having talked to the MWC asking to be considered to suddenly getting into the MWC? That goes against the Commissioner stating the conference really wants a presence in Texas if they go with SJSU and USU.

• Upvote 1

If they leave Texas out of the mix I see it as a big mistake for them. I do not think SMU or Houston will bolt. UTEP could but that really doesn't give them the Texas market.

If I were UTEP I wouldn't leave CUSA.

You know that USU has to be one of the two. The other is anyone's guess.

From a recruiting perspective they need a Texas school period. If they ignore that fact it will hurt them.

I think we have a great shot if that were to happen, Unfortunately I don't think UTEP has any intention of doing so,

I agree with Cerebus - UTEP will not leave CUSA. To me the decision is whether or not they want a presence in Texas or not. In that regard we are a bonafide option. I think what hurts us is they have to know that we will bolt to CUSA at the first chance we get. Perhaps that would have to be addressed through penalties. It will be interesting to see what transpires. Put me in the camp that thinks they may not do anything at all.

I think we have a great shot if that were to happen, Unfortunately I don't think UTEP has any intention of doing so,

I guess another way to ask what I'm thinking is, Should we pull for UTEP to go to the MWC or stay in C-USA? If they stay in C-USA are we more likely to get a MWC bid than we are to get a C-USA bid if they go to the MWC?

I agree with Cerebus - UTEP will not leave CUSA. To me the decision is whether or not they want a presence in Texas or not. In that regard we are a bonafide option. I think what hurts us is they have to know that we will bolt to CUSA at the first chance we get. Perhaps that would have to be addressed through penalties. It will be interesting to see what transpires. Put me in the camp that thinks they may not do anything at all.

I understand the desire to be with Texas schools but MWC > CUSA. Other than the aforementioned Texas schools, why would NT want to be in CUSA?

• Upvote 1

I guess another way to ask what I'm thinking is, Should we pull for UTEP to go to the MWC or stay in C-USA? If they stay in C-USA are we more likely to get a MWC bid than we are to get a C-USA bid if they go to the MWC?

I think we should pull for Houston to go to the Big East as a travel partner for TCU, thats probably the best option for us to move.

Until that happens, build the belt.

I think the MWC is a better conference for us. We need to go after what is the best conference. Boise, Nevada, Fresno, Hawaii, SDSU, Air Force are all great schools to be affiliated with. Not to mention the rest of the schools aren't too shabby. Overall the MWC will be a much better option for the future than CUSA.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

not a given that mwc will expand, but if they do, my $ is on sjsu and usu. sdsu,fresno, and sjsu have same chancellor who wants them together, plus the spartans bring a lot of tv sets [ they may not be turned on, but....]. usu is getting alot of corporate backing, including DESERET,a health care company that i think is either owned or affiliated in some manner with the MORMON CHURCH. a lot of balls in the air, lets see where they fall.

Also keep in mind that the MWC tv contract does not extend into this market.

An aside: what's up with Plum? All of a sudden, a dose of realism?

I understand the desire to be with Texas schools but MWC > CUSA. Other than the aforementioned Texas schools, why would NT want to be in CUSA?

UNT wants in CUSA primarily because of the number of Texas schools that are currently in it. SMU, Houston, Rice are all old SWC schools that our alumni base gets excited about playing. Rice and Houston would get us access into Houston where we have a lot of alums and potential fans. It is also a great recruiting tie-in for us there. Additionally, Tulsa, Tulane and UTEP are all games that are either drivable or short SWA flights to get to. Think about a conference schedule that included two trips to Houston, a game against SMU in Dallas, a trip up north to Tulsa, a trip to New Orleans against Tulane... I mean it would be a dream come true for us in a lot of ways. These schools have tons of alumni in DFW that will help us fill up our venues. We would have true rivals, ie SMU right off the bat.

If Houston and SMU were to bolt CUSA it would still be a more attractive conference just for the fact it would allow us access into Houston (via Rice). In fact, you could make an argument that we had a better situation in Houston when we were in the Southland conference.

UNT wants in CUSA primarily because of the number of Texas schools that are currently in it. SMU, Houston, Rice are all old SWC schools that our alumni base gets excited about playing. Rice and Houston would get us access into Houston where we have a lot of alums and potential fans. It is also a great recruiting tie-in for us there. Additionally, Tulsa, Tulane and UTEP are all games that are either drivable or short SWA flights to get to. Think about a conference schedule that included two trips to Houston, a game against SMU in Dallas, a trip up north to Tulsa, a trip to New Orleans against Tulane... I mean it would be a dream come true for us in a lot of ways. These schools have tons of alumni in DFW that will help us fill up our venues. We would have true rivals, ie SMU right off the bat.

If Houston and SMU were to bolt CUSA it would still be a more attractive conference just for the fact it would allow us access into Houston (via Rice). In fact, you could make an argument that we had a better situation in Houston when we were in the Southland conference.

IMO...only way CUSA adds another Texas school is if they lose a Texas school and then it's still a crap shoot. The former SWC schools in CUSA remember Frank Broyles complaining about "too many Texas schools in one conference" and that complaint by Broyles truth be known was the first shot fired toward the eventual dismantling of the Southwest Conference.

I do know looking at UH's 12 (+/-) 3 star recruits causes one to understand fairly easily that what league your in can make a difference in recruiting.

And Harry...in your photo collage the black & white photo of former Mean Green HFC Hayden Fry being hoisted on his teams shoulders after our Tennessee win in 1975 actually came from SUMG (who had sent me a copy of the photo). Must give credit where credit is due, of course. :)

GMG!

PS: Yes, we'd all love CUSA first, but there is still an intrigue about being 1 (of 2?) Texas schools in the MWC if that ever became possible--seems it worked well for TCU and granted, they spent all the extra money but I still think they would have done well even if they'd had the typical MWC school budget (which theirs was light years ahead of most of the other MWC schools from what another posted).

GMG ! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

We need to accept the first offer we get from anyone not named Karl Benson. CUSA may be more regional, but the MWC is the better conference by far. Both have their positives, and both are leaps and bounds above the SBC. Either way we will be better off, we just either need the MWC invite, or the MWC to lure away UTEP so we have our shot at CUSA.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2

UNT and UTSA are one backup plan in the likley event SMU and UH say no to MWC. As posted earlier, MWC desires to enter Texas for TV reveneus and recruiting. Don't be surprised if expansion is more than 12 teams. If the expanded field os schools will increase TV revenues and net school payouts the MWC will look at more than 12 schools.

We need to accept the first offer we get from anyone not named Karl Benson. CUSA may be more regional, but the MWC is the better conference by far. Both have their positives, and both are leaps and bounds above the SBC. Either way we will be better off, we just either need the MWC invite, or the MWC to lure away UTEP so we have our shot at CUSA.

+1, who says we wouldnt get a bid from cusa in a couple of year if we do well in the mwc. dont we have a 10 yrs contract with smu anywas?? it doesnt have to be a in conference just to have a rival

Then schedule them out of conference. Anyone can see that CUSA is a far flung conference waiting to be torn apart. If we're talking seriously here about what our next step is, and both offers somehow were on the table, the MWC offer is the one to take. It will be a stable conference for decades to come. Of all the non-AQ, it's the most likely to become an AQ conference if another bowl is added. Finally, yes...SMU, Rice, Houston, and Tulsa draw decently in Denton, but a school like Marshall or ECU would draw flies with nothing in return, ie no California recruits and no destination visits (Las Vegas, San Diego, Denver). If Houston and SMU move to the Big East by some fluke, that leaves us with Rice and Tulsa, which we can, and do, schedule out of conference games with anyways.

Sorry, but a conference is for stability. Out of conference is for bringing in the local favorites.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

By the way, here is the latest to come out of the USU fan board/chat (presumably from wacfan08, the guy with the supposed inside connections). Take it with however much salt you can stand:

I have only been glancing at the chat periodically, so I can't promise that I've followed the entire discussion. But I think this is the basic gist: Supposedly the MWC agreed to expand to 12 and USU is in. Supposedly UTEP declined, so the MWC is trying to choose a 12th school. Potential candidates include SJSU, NMSU, North Texas, and UTSA.
Edited by ColoradoEagle

Then schedule them out of conference. Anyone can see that CUSA is a far flung conference waiting to be torn apart. If we're talking seriously here about what our next step is, and both offers somehow were on the table, the MWC offer is the one to take. It will be a stable conference for decades to come. Of all the non-AQ, it's the most likely to become an AQ conference if another bowl is added. Finally, yes...SMU, Rice, Houston, and Tulsa draw decently in Denton, but a school like Marshall or ECU would draw flies with nothing in return, ie no California recruits and no destination visits (Las Vegas, San Diego, Denver). If Houston and SMU move to the Big East by some fluke, that leaves us with Rice and Tulsa, which we can, and do, schedule out of conference games with anyways.

Sorry, but a conference is for stability. Out of conference is for bringing in the local favorites.

We are not going to be offered by both conferences at the same time. Whoever of the two offers first, we take it, no questions asked, before they have time to reconsider.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1