More Information On New Signee Michael Stojkvic

Harry

Below is a brief highlight of Michael Stojkovic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL8q0e5KQ5Y

Michael is a post grad athlete from Valley Forge Military Academy.

Michael will play defense at UNT.

Michael Stojkovic

6’2’ 215

4.6 40yd

375 Bench Press

4.3 Shuttle

32 VJ

Thanks for the info!

Looks like a great athlete. That's a huge bench for a guy his size and not a bad 40 time. Could be an awesome safety.

• Upvote 2

Looks like a great "get" for the Mean Green. Good size...good speed. Agree, could be a super safety for the Mean green! Welcome Mr. Stojkvic. Now I need to learn how to pronounce your last name as I am most certain I will be using it a lot in the coming seasons in a congratulatory manner!

GO MEAN GREEN!

The on-side recovery at 2:45 is a thing of beauty

Agreed. And the body control he demonstrated in the recovery of the muffed kickoff @3:25 is incredible. Even if he doesn't contribute right away as a starter on D, he could be a special teams ace on day one as a gunner. Think Kenny Gant circa mid 90s.

Great thing is that he is already on campus and will participate in Spring ball and will be here 4 yrs. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up S or LB? He looks like someone who should contribute right away on Special Teams.

I'd make a bet with you that under McCarney who is all about speed on defense, he ends up at OLB. More speed closer to the line of scrimmage. a la TCU

I'd make a bet with you that under McCarney who is all about speed on defense, he ends up at OLB. More speed closer to the line of scrimmage. a la TCU

That makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't be surprised to see that either, and with another 20-30 lbs of muscle he would be a total beast of a MLB.

Edited by pastorgrant

After watching his highlights, I hope we take the tcu approach with him. That is, make a big safety an outside lb. I think his frame can hold the weight but I'm worried about his speed for a free safety at the college level. He may need a redshift year to make the adjustment.

Agreed. I like him at LB. I don't think he is quite fast enough for safety. The last thing we need is to get beat over the middle. I think we saw that enough in 2010.

Looks like an interesting prospect and happy to have him at UNT.

[/quote

That can be an awesome approach in the right scheme ala Anthony Leon at Arkansas. He was a big hitter at safety in Juco but was a step slow in the SEC then they converted him to OLB and he had the ability to cover backs on pass plays, rush the passer and even chase down run plays from the backside with great success. A lot of programs take QB's that have a good frame and convert them to defense (LB & SS) and their knowledge of offense pays off. Speed & smarts is a combo that's hard to beat. This class keeps getting better & better.GMG!!!

4.6 is fast enough to play safety?

If it is a legit 4.6 then, yes. Average NFL combine 40 for strong safeties is 4.57. Roy Williams ran a 4.53 according to his 2002 draft profile, and he was pretty quick for a safety in his early years in the NFL. Safeties don't have to have CB speed because the play 20 yards off the line.

That being said, if it's a high school coach with a stopwatch (and a desire to help promote their player), clocking that 40, then it might be a different story... Either way though, he's a beast and is a great pickup for the Mean Green.

• Upvote 1

agreed. I like him at LB. I don't think he is quite fast enough for safety. The last thing we need is to get beat over the middle. I think we saw that enough in 2010.

Looks like an interesting prospect and happy to have him at UNT.

That can be an awesome approach in the right scheme ala Anthony Leon at Arkansas. He was a big hitter at safety in Juco but was a step slow in the SEC then they converted him to OLB and he had the ability to cover backs on pass plays, rush the passer and even chase down run plays from the backside with great success. A lot of programs take QB's that have a good frame and convert them to defense (LB & SS) and their knowledge of offense pays off. Speed & smarts is a combo that's hard to beat. This class keeps getting better & better.GMG!!!