Q & A With Mwc Commissioner Craig Thompson

MeanGreen61

Well, I guess it would at least show that the Belt isn't the worst league in football --- as some people think.

Assuming that win/loss records are the only measurement...which they aren't. Ask a random 10 people and 9 out of 10 will still say the Best is the worst conference even if they were to win every bowl game. It may make us feel warm and fuzzy inside when a Belt school wins a big game but we just need to accept it.

Is it our place right now? Unfortunately it is. We need to realize the perception of the Belt isn't going to change any time soon and probably never will...10 years ago it was perceived as the worst conference and it still is by the average football fan, commentators, other conferences.

Now...it might take a step up on the WAC once all the changes go through, but personally I don't want to be in a conference that may only get better because another conference implodes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Assuming that win/loss records are the only measurement...which they aren't. Ask a random 10 people and 9 out of 10 will still say the Best is the worst conference even if they were to win every bowl game. It may make us feel warm and fuzzy inside when a Belt school wins a big game but we just need to accept it.

Is it our place right now? Unfortunately it is. We need to realize the perception of the Belt isn't going to change any time soon and probably never will...10 years ago it was perceived as the worst conference and it still is by the average football fan, commentators, other conferences.

Now...it might take a step up on the WAC once all the changes go through, but personally I don't want to be in a conference that may only get better because another conference implodes.

I think the Sunbelt's perception of being the worst conference has nothing to do with talent or ability on the football field. It's the simple fact that this is where schools enter D1. Our schools are the least recognizable and to the average football fan are all directional schools that are barely in division 1.

• Upvote 2

I think the Sunbelt's perception of being the worst conference has nothing to do with talent or ability on the football field. It's the simple fact that this is where schools enter D1. Our schools are the least recognizable and to the average football fan are all directional schools that are barely in division 1.

Yep, and the MAC schools are all recognizable to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yet the major thing the MAC still seems to have over the 'Belt is they have a coalition of sportswriters who will vote one of their better teams into a Top 25 poll whereas we have not been successful getting poll'sters to vote for one of our best teams in the past for a spot in the Top 25.

I think Troy would have been one of those who could have been Top 25 looking at how competitive they used to play OOC teams and I also think for the MAC and SBC its all about what you do against the better OOC teams. Not real impressive to poll voters when you come into conference play 0 & 5, 1 & 4, etc. and so forth.

GMG!

Jim,

You are way off base on some coalition of sportswriters voting for the MAC. The MAC is terrible and as such - they have about 3 or 4 teams that can absolutely dominate the league. They are also very smart with scheduling in that they play each other early in the season. The Belt will get some top 25 teams when we have teams with 10 or more wins. There is no conspiracy - the MAC teams that have gotten a few votes had a lot of crappy wins. Go check the record books. The Belt schools have been using their OOC games to pay the bills and this is our biggest problem. It is also what keeps up out of the polls. NT is scheduling smart (for the most part) - but we have been down. If any Belt team were to win 10 or 11 games - we would be in the top 25, just like everyone else. The MUTS won 10 games last year and got some votes. If they had followed that up this year with another 10 wins, they would be a top 25 team, there is no doubt in my mind.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree that going into the MWC is a reach but it is possible. Even if the MWC only gives us the slightest glance or sniff it will be because of the Media Market in DFW. Right now DirecTV carries the Mountain for free (or at least on one of its most inexpensive tiers) for the DFW area because of TCU being a local team. Since TCU is leaving there goes DFW. The Mountain will be moved up to a higher subscription tier which means that their customer/viewing base in DFW will be severely hit. This matters because with a lower number of viewers they cant sell their spots for commercials for as much money, meaning less advertising revenue.

That is why I think the MWC will look at adding a DFW team or Houston because of the media market, they need something that they can sell to advertisers and other companies to help offset the loss of TCU.

What hurts UNT in my opinion is that we don't have any baseball. This means that for the most part our sports stop in March once basketball is over. I know that there are still some other stuff going on, such as track, but the Mountain wants to broadcast games so that they can again, sell advertising. Without baseball we don't really offer the Mountain anything to keep their viewers in spring/summer. Meaning that they will effectively loose the DFW market for over a 3rd of the year if they chose us right now. This also hurts SMU since they don't have baseball either.

That is why I think that if the MWC wants to add 2 teams from Texas, UTEP and UH will be chosen not UNT. But that's cool because that would leave a slot or two open for UNT, LaTECH and NMSU to fight over and I like our chances against those 2.

Just my 2 cents.

UTEP doesn't have baseball either. Why do you think that they would choose a smaller market over the DFW market as neither have baseball? By the way, SMU also is without baseball.

• Upvote 1

Again, build the Sunbelt!

Rick

If NT's only IA choice is the Belt, I would prefer we move down to IAA and play in the Southland. At least we could play some Texas opponents.

The Belt's only positive is stability, and that's because Sun Belt schools neve have the opportunity to move up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 16

Jim,

You are way off base on some coalition of sportswriters voting for the MAC. The MAC is terrible and as such - they have about 3 or 4 teams that can absolutely dominate the league. They are also very smart with scheduling in that they play each other early in the season. The Belt will get some top 25 teams when we have teams with 10 or more wins. There is no conspiracy - the MAC teams that have gotten a few votes had a lot of crappy wins. Go check the record books. The Belt schools have been using their OOC games to pay the bills and this is our biggest problem. It is also what keeps up out of the polls. NT is scheduling smart (for the most part) - but we have been down. If any Belt team were to win 10 or 11 games - we would be in the top 25, just like everyone else. The MUTS won 10 games last year and got some votes. If they had followed that up this year with another 10 wins, they would be a top 25 team, there is no doubt in my mind.

http://mac-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=9400&ATCLID=1091980&SPID=3802&SPSID=42968

MAC football has two teams in top 25 rankings in Bowling Green and Northern Illinois

Steve, the link above is what was going on in the MAC in the SBC's first year of operation. The headline at the top shown here and the link tells it all.

Also, we've had not one Top 25 SBC school ranking (when I think we should have in the past) during the season when MAC schools seemed to be making obvious impressions with some sportswriters? (Hey, I'm pulling for the SBC to have similar Top 25 rankings already). :)

I think Troy a few years ago should have been Top 25 maybe for 2 seasons or more but the same sportswriters who have put 2 MAC teams in the Top 25 at one time were not around for us when I think Troy was as Top 25 worthy, too, did not vote for the Trojans for whatever reason.

No conspiracy here, just sayin' what I've been see'in with the MAC other years they also had Top 25 school rankings as well.

Bottom Line: I feel the SBC has had schools in past years that could have probably beaten some of those ranked MAC teams. Just my .02

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I think Troy a few years ago should have been Top 25 maybe for 2 seasons or more but the same sportswriters who have put 2 MAC teams in the Top 25 at one time were not around for us when I think Troy was as Top 25 worthy, too, did not vote for the Trojans for whatever reason.

When has Troy ever been worthy of a top 25 ranking? I've asked this before when you talk about MAC voting coalitions, but when specifically has a worthy Sun Belt team been left out of the Top 25?

• Upvote 1

UTEP doesn't have baseball either. Why do you think that they would choose a smaller market over the DFW market as neither have baseball? By the way, SMU also is without baseball.

You are correct UTEP did drop baseball, in 1985 I believe, but the reason why I think UTEP will get an offer is because of Location. They are geographically located closer and it would make more sense for them to be in the MWC.

SMU on the other hand has a better shot at the MWC than UNT because of name recognition. People know the SMU name more than UNT. Being in bowl games the last couple years with a Head Coach that has gotten lots of publicity will do that for you. So if the MWC looks for immediate expansion then SMU is in a better position than we are. I dont like it, and it sucks but right now SMU is higher than UNT on the national media list. Thats why if the MWC wanted to stay in Dallas it would chose SMU over UNT.

That being said, I do believe that UNT is putting the right pieces in the right places to grow over the next couple years, but it all depends on why expansion happens. If the MWC holds off for a couple years than UNT could potentially jump up even or ahead of SMU. It all depends on when and if the MWC looks to expand. If its right now then UNT is at a disadvantage, if its in a few years, who know where we will be?

Oh and btw if you read the last sentence in the paragraph about baseball, in my original post, it says that SMU does not have baseball either. :ph34r::P

MWC > CUSA

Let us shoot for the MWC.

Agreed. AGREED.

The MWC spends more, succeeds at a higher level, and carries more national respect than C-USA. Don't get me wrong... I'd definitely take C-USA over the Sun Belt.

But too many people here still get their dick hard fantasizing about potentially hobnobbing with the butt-scraping bottom of the old SWC and a bunch of private schools. Even the "regional" advantages are blown way out of proportion. I can't help but laugh a little every time I read about how being in a conference with other Texas schools like UTEP makes C-USA such a great fit for us. Because El Paso is the same road trip as Mobile, Alabama, just in the opposite direction.

So much of the griping and complaining about or athletics programs centers on either a perceived disrespect from other institutions or perceived inferiority complexes among our leadership and alumni. So why are so many people here hoping dreaming wishing pining for a chance to maybe beg our way into a league with a bunch of do nothing shitsacks (and Memphis) who will see us as a tagalong lesser program, instead of hoping we can JUMP OVER ALL OF THEM to a better conference affiliation altogether?

Even with the TCU/Utah/BYU departures, the Mountain West is DRAMATICALLY better in both football and basketball than Conference USA. If there's any way to get in there, we ought to be trying to batter down the door day and night.

• Upvote 3

You are correct UTEP did drop baseball, in 1985 I believe, but the reason why I think UTEP will get an offer is because of Location. They are geographically located closer and it would make more sense for them to be in the MWC.

The MWC has had multiple opportunities to add UTEP, but never has. UTEP's location is the number one thing working against inclusion in the MWC, as their goal is (or should be) largest media market and best recruiting area. If the MWC's requirements change to city closest to Ciudad Juarez, then I think UTEP has it locked up. Seriously, though, if you believe UTEPs PR, they have no interest in leaving CUSA right now.

SMU on the other hand has a better shot at the MWC than UNT because of name recognition. People know the SMU name more than UNT. Being in bowl games the last couple years with a Head Coach that has gotten lots of publicity will do that for you. So if the MWC looks for immediate expansion then SMU is in a better position than we are. I dont like it, and it sucks but right now SMU is higher than UNT on the national media list. Thats why if the MWC wanted to stay in Dallas it would chose SMU over UNT.

You speak as if this is fact. There are a million and one reasons why SMU may not even be a candidate in any expansion scenario: no other school in the MWC is a private school, SMU basketball is awful, no baseball or even a hint of baseball, small alumni base, poorly attended games even when they're winning, shady history, three winning seasons in football in the last two plus decades.

The MWC, should they choose to expand, will not make their decision based on football records from 2009-2010. Could SMU go to that conference? Sure, if the MWC wants them and if they want to go. That doesn't mean they're the slam dunk no-brainer that some of our downtrodden alums/fans think they are.

• Upvote 2

The MWC has had multiple opportunities to add UTEP, but never has. UTEP's location is the number one thing working against inclusion in the MWC, as their goal is (or should be) largest media market and best recruiting area. If the MWC's requirements change to city closest to Ciudad Juarez, then I think UTEP has it locked up. Seriously, though, if you believe UTEPs PR, they have no interest in leaving CUSA right now.

You speak as if this is fact. There are a million and one reasons why SMU may not even be a candidate in any expansion scenario: no other school in the MWC is a private school, SMU basketball is awful, no baseball or even a hint of baseball, small alumni base, poorly attended games even when they're winning, shady history, three winning seasons in football in the last two plus decades.

The MWC, should they choose to expand, will not make their decision based on football records from 2009-2010. Could SMU go to that conference? Sure, if the MWC wants them and if they want to go. That doesn't mean they're the slam dunk no-brainer that some of our downtrodden alums/fans think they are.

Good points, but the MWC took Boise St. for nothing other than football. Football is the biggest revenue generator for the university & the conference. If NT starts winning consistantly to go along with the recent showing of dedication to the football program, conferences will come knocking at the door.

Good points, but the MWC took Boise St. for nothing other than football. Football is the biggest revenue generator for the university & the conference. If NT starts winning consistantly to go along with the recent showing of dedication to the football program, conferences will come knocking at the door.

My impression is that, at the time, Boise was being brought in to fill the void left by Utah in their quest for AQ status. All of that has come crashing down, and I can't imagine the remaining MWC schools believing they have a realistic shot at that goal any time soon. As an outsider looking in, it would seem like their goals, if they choose to expand, should shift to expanding their reach in anticipation of their television contract expiring in a few years, getting back into Dallas and/or Houston for recruiting, and adding someone who's more interested in building the conference than using it as a stepping stone.

I have no idea what they will use as their criteria for expansion. None of the available schools are going to generate a lot of buzz with MWC fans, so it seems to me that if they are going to expand, it'll come down to media market, recruiting area, and potential. If that's the case, I like our chances.

http://mac-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=9400&ATCLID=1091980&SPID=3802&SPSID=42968

MAC football has two teams in top 25 rankings in Bowling Green and Northern Illinois

Steve, the link above is what was going on in the MAC in the SBC's first year of operation. The headline at the top shown here and the link tells it all.

Also, we've had not one Top 25 SBC school ranking (when I think we should have in the past) during the season when MAC schools seemed to be making obvious impressions with some sportswriters? (Hey, I'm pulling for the SBC to have similar Top 25 rankings already). :)

No conspiracy here, just sayin' what I've been see'in with the MAC other years they also had Top 25 school rankings as well.

Bottom Line: I feel the SBC has had schools in past years that could have probably beaten some of those ranked MAC teams. Just my .02

GMG!

First fact - Troy did not join the Belt until 2004.

Second fact - Why would Troy have been ranked as a top 25 team before or after joining the Belt? The absolute best record that they have had was last year at 9-4 (see below for a complete breakdown of their history as a Div I team). They have a couple of signature wins "big name" schools with Missouri (5-6 record that year) and Okie State (7-6 team) - but then they would turn around and lose to teams like North Texas, FAU, NMSU, and Arkie State. While Troy has been to 5 bowl games - they have only won 2 of them, both in New Orleans. The closest that the Belt has gotten to a top 25 team was MTSU last year - they finished with 10 wins, I think that they got about 10 or 15 "top 25" votes, and their coach was offered the Memphis and ECU jobs; but he decided to stay in Murf. If Dasher had not screwed up and taken a loan from a bookie this year - they probably would have repeated that success and the wins over Minnesota and Memphis would have helped with getting them some votes. But the Belt has not had a team worthy of top 25 status in it's 10 year existence. In my opinion, the MAC has not either - but sportswriters tend to look at overall records when giving out votes for teams 20 through 25. If you have 11 or 12 wins - you are going to get in - it doesn't matter what conference you are in. The Belt has never had a team with more than 10 wins and we have only had that happen ONCE (last year, MUTS). So I still do not understand your media bias idea... can you explain it to me?

2009-Troy (Sun Belt)

9/3 @ Bowling Green State (7-6) L 14 31

9/12 @ Florida (13-1) L 6 56

9/19 vs. Alabama-Birmingham (5-7) W 27 14

9/26 @ *Arkansas State (4-8) W 30 27

10/6 vs. *Middle Tennessee State (10-3) W 31 7

10/17 @ *Florida International (3-9) W 42 33

10/24 vs. *North Texas (2-10) W 50 26

10/31 vs. *Louisiana-Monroe (6-6) W 42 21

11/7 @ *Western Kentucky (0-12) W 40 20

11/14 @ Arkansas (8-5) L 20 56

11/21 vs. *Florida Atlantic (5-7) W 47 21

11/28 @ *Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6) W 48 31

1/6 vs. Central Michigan (12-2) L 41 44 @ Mobile, AL GMAC Bowl

9-4-0

438 387

2008-Troy (Sun Belt)

8/28 @ *Middle Tennessee State (5-7) W 31 17

9/13 vs. Alcorn State (non-IA) W 65 0

9/20 @ Ohio State (10-3) L 10 28

9/27 @ Oklahoma State (9-4) L 24 55

10/7 @ *Florida Atlantic (7-6) W 30 17

10/18 vs. *Florida International (5-7) W 33 23

10/25 @ *North Texas (1-11) W 45 17

11/1 @ *Louisiana-Monroe (4-8) L 30 31

11/8 vs. *Western Kentucky (2-10) W 17 7

11/15 @ Louisiana State (8-5) L 31 40

11/22 vs. *Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6) W 48 3

12/6 vs. *Arkansas State (6-6) W 35 9

12/21 vs. Southern Mississippi (7-6) L 27 30 @ New Orleans, LA New Orleans Bowl

8-5-0

426 277

2007-Troy (Sun Belt)

9/1 @ Arkansas (8-5) L 26 46

9/8 @ Florida (9-4) L 31 59

9/14 vs. Oklahoma State (7-6) W 41 23

9/22 @ *Louisiana-Lafayette (3-9) W 48 31

9/29 vs. *Louisiana-Monroe (6-6) W 24 7

10/6 @ *Florida International (1-11) W 34 16

10/20 vs. *North Texas (2-10) W 45 7

10/27 @ *Arkansas State (5-7) W 27 0

11/3 @ Georgia (11-2) L 34 44

11/10 @ Western Kentucky (7-5) W 21 17

11/20 vs. *Middle Tennessee State (5-7) W 45 7

12/1 vs. *Florida Atlantic (8-5) L 32 38

8-4-0

408 295

2006-Troy (Sun Belt)

9/2 vs. Alabama State (non-IA) W 38 0

9/9 @ Florida State (7-6) L 17 24

9/16 @ Georgia Tech (9-5) L 20 35

9/23 @ Nebraska (9-5) L 0 56

9/30 @ Alabama-Birmingham (3-9) L 3 21

10/14 vs. *Louisiana-Monroe (4-8) W 24 19

10/28 vs. *North Texas (3-9) W 14 6

11/4 vs. *Louisiana-Lafayette (6-6) W 42 28

11/11 @ *Florida Atlantic (5-7) W 24 17

11/18 vs. *Arkansas State (6-6) L 26 33

11/25 @ *Middle Tennessee State (7-6) W 21 20

12/2 @ *Florida International (0-12) W 26 13

12/22 vs. Rice (7-6) W 41 17 @ New Orleans, LA New Orleans Bowl

8-5-0

296 289

2005-Troy (Sun Belt)

9/3 vs. Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo (non-IA) W 27 10

9/10 vs. Alabama-Birmingham (5-6) L 7 27

9/17 @ Missouri (7-5) L 21 52

9/24 @ South Carolina (7-5) L 20 45

10/4 @ *North Texas (2-9) W 13 10

10/15 @ *Louisiana-Monroe (5-6) L 3 27

10/20 vs. *Florida International (5-6) W 18 13

10/29 @ *Louisiana-Lafayette (6-5) L 28 31

11/5 vs. *Florida Atlantic (2-9) W 28 14

11/12 @ *Arkansas State (6-6) L 3 9

11/26 vs. *Middle Tennessee State (4-7) L 7 17

4-7-0

175 255

2004-Troy (Sun Belt)

9/4 @ Marshall (6-6) W 17 15

9/9 vs. Missouri (5-6) W 24 14

9/18 @ *New Mexico State (5-6) L 18 22

9/25 @ South Carolina (6-5) L 7 17

10/2 vs. *Utah State (3-8) W 49 21

10/16 @ *Arkansas State (3-8) L 9 13

10/23 @ Louisiana State (9-3) L 20 24

10/30 vs. *Idaho (3-9) W 47 7

11/6 vs. *Florida Atlantic (9-3) W 24 6

11/13 @ *Louisiana-Lafayette (4-7) W 13 10

11/20 vs. *Middle Tennessee State (5-6) W 37 17

12/30 vs. Northern Illinois (9-3) L 21 34 @ San Jose, CA Silicon Valley Bowl

7-5-0

286 200

2003-Troy (Independent)

8/30 @ Kansas State (11-4) L 5 41

9/6 @ Minnesota (10-3) L 7 48

9/13 @ Alabama-Birmingham (5-7) W 20 9

9/20 vs. Southeastern Louisiana (non-IA) W 28 0

9/27 vs. Marshall (8-4) W 33 24

10/4 @ Nebraska (10-3) L 0 30

10/18 vs. Florida International (non-IA) W 21 10

10/25 @ Virginia (8-5) L 0 24

10/30 @ North Texas (9-4) L 0 21

11/8 @ Middle Tennessee State (4-8) L 20 27

11/15 @ Utah State (3-9) W 23 14

11/22 vs. Louisiana-Monroe (1-11) W 28 24

6-6-0

185 272

2002-Troy (Independent)

8/31 @ Nebraska (7-7) L 16 31

9/7 @ Alabama-Birmingham (5-7) L 26 27

9/14 vs. Southern Utah (non-IA) W 40 15

9/21 @ Iowa State (7-7) L 12 42

9/28 @ Missouri (5-7) L 7 44

10/5 vs. Austin Peay (non-IA) W 41 3

10/12 @ Mississippi State (3-9) L 8 11

10/19 @ Marshall (11-2) L 7 24

10/26 vs. Florida Atlantic (non-IA) W 21 6

11/2 vs. Arkansas (9-5) L 0 23 @ Little Rock, AR

11/9 vs. Florida A&M (non-IA) W 24 7 @ Mobile, AL

11/16 vs. Utah State (4-7) L 16 19

4-8-0

218 252

2001-Troy (Independent)

9/1 @ Nebraska (11-2) L 14 42

9/8 @ Middle Tennessee State (8-3) L 17 54

9/22 vs. Nicholls State (non-IA) W 26 0

10/6 @ Miami (Florida) (12-0) L 7 38

10/13 @ Mississippi State (3-8) W 21 9

10/20 vs. Northridge State (non-IA) W 44 31

10/27 vs. Southern Utah (non-IA) W 20 17

11/3 @ Maryland (10-2) L 14 47

11/10 @ Louisiana-Monroe (2-9) W 44 12

11/17 vs. Jacksonville State (non-IA) W 21 3

12/1 vs. North Texas (5-7) W 18 16

7-4-0

246 269

By the way, I do agree with you Jim - there definitely were ranked MAC schools that could have been beaten by teams from the Belt. Without a doubt. The MAC has been very methodical in scheduling and have figured out that top 25 rankings are not about being the best team, they are about having the best win/loss record. Schedule down as much as possible to make the best record possible. About half of the Belt teams are too busy collecting body bag game checks to schedule smart. The other half have enough money and do not need the subsidy money "as much" but we have just had bad football.

By the way, I do agree with you Jim - there definitely were ranked MAC schools that could have been beaten by teams from the Belt. Without a doubt. The MAC has been very methodical in scheduling and have figured out that top 25 rankings are not about being the best team, they are about having the best win/loss record. Schedule down as much as possible to make the best record possible. About half of the Belt teams are too busy collecting body bag game checks to schedule smart. The other half have enough money and do not need the subsidy money "as much" but we have just had bad football.

Agree, Steve... :thumbsu:

Happy New Year!

GMG!

Who cares, build the Sunbelt. The Belt has a legitimate chance to go 3-0 against the MAC during this Bowl Season. The Mountain didn't do anything for TCU that they couldn't have done in C-USA other than waste millions of travel money every year(that North Texas doesn't have) and distance their true fans(what few they have) from ever getting to attend away conference games.

Again, build the Sunbelt!

Rick

If we are going to base our conference affiliation on the few fans that can travel to OOC games then something is severely wrong.

That being said, I do believe that UNT is putting the right pieces in the right places to grow over the next couple years, but it all depends on why expansion happens. If the MWC holds off for a couple years than UNT could potentially jump up even or ahead of SMU. It all depends on when and if the MWC looks to expand. If its right now then UNT is at a disadvantage, if its in a few years, who know where we will be?

Oh and btw if you read the last sentence in the paragraph about baseball, in my original post, it says that SMU does not have baseball either. :ph34r::P

I would have a hard time sending my son or daughter to UTEP because of it's proximity to Juarez. Here is a story I just came across on the newswire regarding drug gang violence. Beware this is not for the timid:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,448508,00.html

Also came across this story re UTEP students killed recently by drug traffickers: http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_16560525

Edited by Coach Andy Mac