Mwc: What Would North Texas Bring To The Table?

PlummMeanGreen

http://www.newstimes.com/default/article/UW-officials-see-benefits-in-TCU-s-departure-843316.php

Do MWC officials know we have more alums in the DFW metroplex than either University of Texas (Austin) or Texas A & M University? Doesn't that translate to more televisions in NT Exes homes which can translate into ratings?

Isn't it ratings is what the TV networks want rather than what a school did 75 years ago? What kind of coffee would that and a buck buy you in today's NCAA? :rolleyes:

Will the MWC stay at 9 members or expand their footprint to 12 schools (and a larger TV coverage footprint) as to protect itself from any other defections while expanding their conference with the 5'th largest TV market, ie, the North Texas Metroplex and..............the one school that can deliver the best TV ratings because of UNT's "lights out," humongous (and still growing) constituency?

On behalf of Prez' Rawlins and AD Villarreal, should UNT turn Chuck Neinas loose on this re-alignment project, too, with him camping on the office doorsteps of MWC Commish' Craig Thompson?

GMG!

UNT versus SMU

(1) North Texas just brings far more to the table with a larger fan base,

(2) UNT with an enrollment that all but quadruples SMU's

(3) Approx. twice as many UNT students now living on/near campus than SMU and TCU's combined enrollments.

(4) With close to 100,000 NT Exes in the DFW Metroplex, we dwarf SMU's alumnus numbers

(5) Our football stadium and basketball facility combo vs. SMU's ? Let MWC officials visit both schools and decide for themselves--Anyone want to place some bets on who they'd pick as the school with the better facilities? B)

(6) Easy major airport access from either DFW Airport (25 minutes from Denton) or even Alliance Airport (15 minutes from Denton City Limits sign) !

(7) Big Mac "D" Attack On The Way At The New Mean Green Stadium with Chico the Man Wide Open Offense, Too!

GMG ! !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Ideally, if the MWC wanted a strong Texas presence they would go straight after UH, UTEP and UNT. Not only you have huge public universities in the DFW and Houston area but you also have a very well supported UTEP in a pretty big and growing city of El Paso. In the end it doesn't make sense for them to add just SMU. If they want to add them then they will be dumb not to look at the other 3 as partners.

Edited by Green Mean

http://www.newstimes.com/default/article/UW-officials-see-benefits-in-TCU-s-departure-843316.php

Do MWC officials know we have more alums in the DFW metroplex than either University of Texas (Austin) or Texas A & M University? Doesn't that translate to more televisions in NT Exes homes which can translate into ratings?

Isn't it ratings is what the TV networks want rather than what a school did 75 years ago? What kind of coffee would that and a buck buy you in today's NCAA? :rolleyes:

Will the MWC stay at 9 members or expand their footprint to 12 schools (and a larger TV coverage footprint) as to protect itself from any other defections while expanding their conference with the 5'th largest TV market, ie, the North Texas Metroplex and..............the one school that can deliver the best TV ratings because of UNT's "lights out," humongous (and still growing) constituency?

On behalf of Prez' Rawlins and AD Villarreal, should UNT turn Chuck Neinas loose on this re-alignment project, too, with him camping on the office doorsteps of MWC Commish' Craig Thompson?

GMG!

UNT versus SMU

(1) North Texas just brings far more to the table with a larger fan base,

(2) UNT with an enrollment that all but quadruples SMU's

(3) Approx. twice as many UNT students now living on/near campus than SMU and TCU's combined enrollments.

(4) With close to 100,000 NT Exes in the DFW Metroplex, we dwarf SMU's alumnus numbers

(5) Our football stadium and basketball facility combo vs. SMU's ? Let MWC officials visit both schools and decide for themselves--Anyone want to place some bets on who they'd pick as the school with the better facilities? B)

(6) Easy major airport access from either DFW Airport (25 minutes from Denton) or even Alliance Airport (15 minutes from Denton City Limits sign) !

(7) Big Mac "D" Attack On The Way At The New Mean Green Stadium with Chico the Man Wide Open Offense, Too!

GMG ! !

Joking?

• Downvote 4

Joking?

Do I sound like I'm joking? (in the best George Clooney voice I can muster)

Which part of the facts or truth about UNT vs SMU are you just not willing to accept o ye of apparent long, long ago Christmas' traditions past? It's time some of our people just quit genuflecting toward anything that concerns the red, the blue or (in general) of a horse apples sorta' nature, if you get my drift. Peruna reminds me of my favorite kids toy, ie, the vaunted ol' stick horse, Pal. :unsure:

Ever seen Emmitt01's posts on their board the last few years? Well, thats how we all should feel about em' over there. They will never break bread with us because they're blue bloods of the lowest order so I say lets just make them our athletic "bi-atches" within the next 3 to 5 years--if not sooner. Lets turn em' into real bonafide, sanctified

GREENBLOODS! :lol:

Rivalry? They wouldn't know one if it came up and bit them in their arses. (They are still hoping UT and TAMU will accept them back again as "rivals" sometimes in the next 2 or 3 centuries). :ph34r:

Oh, I get it, you're probably one of those old Southwest Conference hound dogs long on the tooth, right? B)

Have A Nice Day :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This should be a big part of the selling point...

mgvmapf.jpg

The fact that the AD is willing to admit the deficiencies that UNT athletics have and are already planing to correct them put them a leg up on a lot of other smaller schools....

The faster UNT gets to having the entire Mean Green Village complex completed the better a target UNT becomes. I have to admit the closer the stadium gets to being completed the more random UNT chatter I hear from the various commuters about UNT. That will translate to even more name recognition as the areas surrounding the Mean Green Village get filled and the planned media/advertising coverage starts in the late summer....

A bump because I love the way our future Mean Green Village will soon look like but.........isn't there one pond missing?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I see that baseball stadium and wait with great anticipation, but wonder what the fine folk overseeing Title IX will require to balance out the additional 11.7 scholarships.

Field hockey or lacrosse could use the soccer field. Perhaps bowling, fencing or gymnastics would fit the bill. There are several things that could be done fairly quickly. If we went with any of those we wouldn't need to build anything to get started.

Nothing. Our Title IX compliance has been exemplary.

So you're saying that the men's side has 11.7 scholarships to give without any additional women's scholarships? How does that work out? The 85 football scholies usually kills that right quick. At a quick glance, it appears undergrad enrollment is approximately 55% women. Doesn't the athletic scholarship availability have to reflect that?

So you're saying that the men's side has 11.7 scholarships to give without any additional women's scholarships? How does that work out? The 85 football scholies usually kills that right quick. At a quick glance, it appears undergrad enrollment is approximately 55% women. Doesn't the athletic scholarship availability have to reflect that?

There are other ways to be compliant and our compliance history would make a solid case for us to start baseball without another women's sport. I just don't think, given the emphasis that has been placed on gender equality here, that we would. It's something that I've gatheredd that they're very proud of.

Not neccesarily.

The Three Prong Test:

1.Prong one - Providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR

2.Prong two - Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR

3.Prong three - Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

A recipient of federal funds can demonstrate compliance with Title IX by meeting any one of the three prongs.

Not neccesarily.

The Three Prong Test:

1.Prong one - Providing athletic participation opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR

2.Prong two - Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR

3.Prong three - Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

A recipient of federal funds can demonstrate compliance with Title IX by meeting any one of the three prongs.

Yeah, it took me a little while to find that. Most of the Title IX searches I did ended with very bent explanations in favor of one side or the other(It's great/bad for women/men!). In prong 2, what is the underrepresented sex? Is that by enrollment or athletic participation? Prong three is interesting because it can be substantiated by online survey. So what do they do? Send out surveys to incoming freshman and ask if they're interesting in playing sports then allocate scholarship money based on the percentage of positive responses?

Bottom line, we're getting a baseball team at some point in my lifetime, right?

Yeah, it took me a little while to find that. Most of the Title IX searches I did ended with very bent explanations in favor of one side or the other(It's great/bad for women/men!). In prong 2, what is the underrepresented sex? Is that by enrollment or athletic participation? Prong three is interesting because it can be substantiated by online survey. So what do they do? Send out surveys to incoming freshman and ask if they're interesting in playing sports then allocate scholarship money based on the percentage of positive responses?

Bottom line, we're getting a baseball team at some point in my lifetime, right?

I think the survey can be as simple as the student vote each semester asking "Do you think women have adequate athletic opportunities at UNT?"

All of the title IX crap gives me tired head. It needs to be an equal number or men's and women's sports. All Title IX is, is reverse discrimination, which is discrimination. Any form of discrimination is wrong.

I disagree, it does not need to be an equal number of sports. Interpreting it in that fashion can hinder growth in popular revenue-generating sports like baseball.

Besides, Title IX compliance has been so highly rated at UNT for so long that it would take many years of disproportional opportunity for it to become an issue.

so question? When exactly do you think we will get a baseball program?

Not sure, but check this out from Eric Sorenson's College Baseball Today Blog -- 50 Cool Things About the 2010 Season

In 2010, the Sun Belt was the “It” conference as far as mid-majors go. I was lucky enough to see games at South Alabama and Middle Tennessee during the season and both have really big time stadiums that rival most of the BCS schools’ facilities. Oh, and the Sun Belt was the best non-Big Six conference in the country. Well done boys.

The 56-game hit streak [Garret Wittle of FIU] swept the nation in June. It was a great, and unexpected, bonus to my trip to the Sun Belt Tournament to have Wittels’ streak still be intact and watch him add to it. His 9th-inning, full-count double to the wall in right center in game one of the SBC tournament was white-knuckle nervous time.

I disagree, it does not need to be an equal number of sports. Interpreting it in that fashion can hinder growth in popular revenue-generating sports like baseball.

Besides, Title IX compliance has been so highly rated at UNT for so long that it would take many years of disproportional opportunity for it to become an issue.

It is my understanding the "equal opportunity" means roughly the same ratio of scholarships for men to male students verse the ratio of scholarships for women to the number of women students. If you have a greater number of women students, they need to have more total scholarships for them than men to keep the ratio's roughly equal. I know they don't have to be absolutely equal, but not sure how for out of balance they can be.

Not sure our Title IX compliance has been "so highly rated at UNT for so long." I thought we had just achieved this in the last five to seven years. That is less than two cycles of students through the university. I wouldn't call that "so long" yet.

This should be a big part of the selling point...

mgvmapf.jpg

The fact that the AD is willing to admit the deficiencies that UNT athletics have and are already planing to correct them put them a leg up on a lot of other smaller schools....

The faster UNT gets to having the entire Mean Green Village complex completed the better a target UNT becomes. I have to admit the closer the stadium gets to being completed the more random UNT chatter I hear from the various commuters about UNT. That will translate to even more name recognition as the areas surrounding the Mean Green Village get filled and the planned media/advertising coverage starts in the late summer....

Bump

Is the top part of this master plan available, laxtonto?