Mwc: What Would North Texas Bring To The Table?

PlummMeanGreen

The only credible report out there says the MWC is going to wait a year and then if it decides to expand to look at Utah State and UTEP, both schools inside its footprint.

If anyone has a link from a real newspaper that says otherwise, I'd double dog dare them to post it.

i doubt if the following qualifies as a "tripple dog dare," but the mwc presidents are scheduled to meet again in january to revisit expansion as well as other issues.f.y.i.

The only credible report out there says the MWC is going to wait a year and then if it decides to expand to look at Utah State and UTEP, both schools inside its footprint.

If anyone has a link from a real newspaper that says otherwise, I'd double dog dare them to post it.

This is from the San Diego paper. It's a quote from the San Diego AD.

“The really interesting questions are going to be what we start thinking about in January,” Weber said. “The first question would be: would we like to add more programs? If so, the question is whether it’s one or two (programs in addition to Hawaii). Beyond that, a question is where those programs would be. Do we want to stay in Texas, or do we want to look elsewhere?”

Weber said he doesn’t expect the questions to be resolved in January. If the board is “serious about looking at a couple of teams, we’d probably do that through the rest of spring and make a decision in June,” he said.

“Let’s be clear: the market in Utah is pretty small; that’s not a big marketplace,”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/10/mountain-west-still-may-grow-beyond-hawaii/

I think people are wrong to assume UTEP and Utah St are 100% getting invites. It was mentioned in article by guy who writes for St. Lake City paper, but he never said they were 100% getting invites. He just said they are two potential expansion candidates. The MWC needs to decide if they want to stay in Texas or just stay in Mountain Time Zone. I don't think they know right now.

• Upvote 2

“The really interesting questions are going to be what we start thinking about in January,” Weber said. “The first question would be: would we like to add more programs? If so, the question is whether it’s one or two (programs in addition to Hawaii). Beyond that, a question is where those programs would be. Do we want to stay in Texas, or do we want to look elsewhere?”

Weber said he doesn’t expect the questions to be resolved in January. If the board is “serious about looking at a couple of teams, we’d probably do that through the rest of spring and make a decision in June,” he said.

funny statement by sdsu president considering population of wyoming, nevada, and new mexico. from what i read in el paso times, there does not appear to be much interest by utep in moving from cusa.

“Let’s be clear: the market in Utah is pretty small; that’s not a big marketplace,”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/10/mountain-west-still-may-grow-beyond-hawaii/

I think people are wrong to assume UTEP and Utah St are 100% getting invites. It was mentioned in article by guy who writes for St. Lake City paper, but he never said they were 100% getting invites. He just said they are two potential expansion candidates. The MWC needs to decide if they want to stay in Texas or just stay in Mountain Time Zone. I don't think they know right now.

And I just know with Utah being a pretty small market that they will still deliver the Utah market--and counting all the mountain goats in their vicinity as numbers, too. Sweet deal for the Mountain West Conference. Who's next? Pompei?

Now I think I really know now about what delivering a market to a new conference is all about! Hell, it was right under my nose the whole time and in the deserts of Utah to boot! :rolleyes:(please)

Just get MWC Commish' Craig Thompson (?) to Denton, Dr. Rawlins, he'll have a new insight on other larger market options than Utah if he does make such a trip. North Texas and fans have been brow beat to thinking we're next to nothing-ness for about 30 plus years now, but we still have an upside that an effective sales person in Denton may be able to close a deal with. SMU came into CUSA as a loser program, but with a new stadium.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen