I Don't Think Some Of You Get It

emmitt01

Mike Canales, the guy some of you want to discount as "not having enough experience" or as nothing more than a "feel good story", has done nothing less than have the best job interview I've seen in a long, long, long, time. Let's review.

He has two wins as our head coach. Doesn't seem like much but let's really consider it. His two Sunbelt losses are to Troy and ULM. The belt will have two bowl eligible teams this season, FIU and Troy, and one, ULM, who would have gone bowling but for a close loss to ULL today. I know, I know, no Sunbelt team is any good and blah blah blah. Aren't we all on here singing McCarney's praises though because "any decent coach could get us back to the top of this conference"? Your words, not mine. If we can give Dan McCarney token faith because he may get us back to the top of the very conference you guys want to tear down when it comes to Canales then where does our double standard end?

He took over Todd Dodge's team. The same team with a literal MASH unit standing on the sidelines. The same team that some of you wanted to use as justification for bringing Dodge back again because no coach could supposedly be expected to win with the deck stacked against him like this. What did he do? Only make them believe in themselves and this program again. Only cause them to have a meeting with RV after the game today to plead for THEIR coach's job. Keep your skins on the wall. To turn around a program like North Texas, one without the resources of even an Iowa State, THIS is what it will take.

We just got done playing K-State to within 8 points. Eight points. And all it took for them to beat this coach you want to discount is:

1)Three dropped interceptions

2)Playing Baine, a backup (actually fourth string), quarterback for a large part of the fourth quarter

3)A shanked punt

4)Amazingly, only two penalties against the Wildcats all game long

This is the same K-State team who is now 7-5. The same K-State team that put up a whole 10 points less, but surrendered 27 less, against the UT team so many of you want to defend at every turn (houstonmeangreen, thoughts?). The list of teams K-State managed to beat by more than eight this season...UT, Kansas, and UCLA. Am I saying K-State are world beaters? No, not at all. But let's keep some perspective. The last time we lined up against K-State we lost 45-6 (that was a 5 win Wildcat team). When was the last time we stayed on the field against a AQ team for an ENTIRE four quarters? I'll wait.......................... (And if you want to mention that Baylor game bear in mind that we were in the midst of one of our marches to New Orleans at the time)

I don't believe McCarney will do anything that Mike Canales couldn't have done. And when/if we sit here having this same tired discussion four years from now please don't try to burn RV at the stake. His words to me after the game, "I want you to know I do listen to the kids, but some decisions are not mine alone to make." So when you want to build that statue for Rawlins or Neinas at the new stadium remember that McCarney is on their head too, if not more.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

His (RV) words to me after the game, "I want you to know I do listen to the kids, but some decisions are not mine alone to make."

This is exactly what I was talking about in another thread. I really don't think this coaching job is completely his decision. It is all ruled by the higher ups....

I don't like having a puppet as an AD. RV's job could be on the line here and it seems like his supporting cast are setting him up to fail. I want RV to succeed and I want the football team to win. I just don't know that Meh-carney helps either of those goals. Hope I'm wrong.

I don't like having a puppet as an AD. RV's job could be on the line here and it seems like his supporting cast are setting him up to fail. I want RV to succeed and I want the football team to win. I just don't know that Meh-carney helps either of those goals. Hope I'm wrong.

If your President is leading the hiring process along with a search Firm, and your AD has very little saying power, then I would wager that your AD's job is in serious jeopardy.

• Upvote 1

If your President is leading the hiring process along with a search Firm, and your AD has very little saying power, then I would wager that your AD's job is in serious jeopardy.

I find it funny that Rawlins is running the show when he will more than likely be gone before Mccarney's contract runs out and leaves the AD with any issues if there is a failure to compete.

Or it is a very big hire and RV's track record picking coaches has been a bit shaky.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I figured this was another post about UT. :rolleyes:

Nah...no need to mention that K-State beat UT by more than they beat us. No reason to mention that UT managed a whopping 14 against them. Definitely didn't want to mention that UT's top 20 basketball team beat Rice by 3 tonight...a few nights after our basketball team beat Rice by, 3.

• Upvote 2

That would be TWO shanked punts by the way. One for 18, the other for 20. So throw in a turnover in the second quarter and you got a span of about 9 minutes of play in which K State started three drives at the NT 49, 36 and 46 yard lines.

Rick

Great post Emmitt, and FFR you're exactly correct. You know Snyder and his staff are thinking to themselves "What the hell just happened down there?", "they'd be crazy not to give that job to Canales."

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok. I really like Canales, but is this sample size really enough to totally convince people that he is the right guy period?

I would venture that McCarney's sample size isn't that great at all. McCarney probably lost to KState with BigXII players against lesser KState teams. Canales may as well have beat them using a 4th string QB, a strained roster, and a list of injuries with a team he just joined.

Imagine what Snyder will think when he hears who we have hired.

On the big 12 round-up show on fox sw they showed highlights of our game and were very complimentary of UNT and the new stadium. Then they said "rumor has it our old friend Dan McCarney will be the new coach at North Texas". I thought they would then say something positive about the guy like "that would be a great choice etc" but they dropped it immediately. I thought that was interesting.

On the big 12 round-up show on fox sw they showed highlights of our game and were very complimentary of UNT and the new stadium. Then they said "rumor has it our old friend Dan McCarney will be the new coach at North Texas". I thought they would then say something positive about the guy like "that would be a great choice etc" but they dropped it immediately. I thought that was interesting.

Number 1, TIME. It's the Big XII round up, not the UNT round up. Even mentioning our new head coach was a stretch. Trying to read hidden meanings into an off hand comment in just bizarre.

Edited by VideoEagle

Number 1, TIME. It's the Big XII round up, not the UNT round up. Even mentioning our new head coach was a stretch. Trying to read hidden meanings into an off hand comment in just bizarre.

They had plenty of time to say "Great choice" but they didn't. It's probably nothing.

The more interesting comment was Lou Holtz on ESPN tonight saying Urban Myer is a great coach but he has to look at his coordinators and position coaches. . . . .

They had plenty of time to say "Great choice" but they didn't. It's probably nothing.

The more interesting comment was Lou Holtz on ESPN tonight saying Urban Myer is a great coach but he has to look at his coordinators and position coaches. . . . .

yip and we just offered half a mill for one of those coaches. Almost double what we have offered any other coach and to think this guy is a ways off from a .500 record....this hire is almost comical.

I would venture that McCarney's sample size isn't that great at all. McCarney probably lost to KState with BigXII players against lesser KState teams. Canales may as well have beat them using a 4th string QB, a strained roster, and a list of injuries with a team he just joined.

He was 2-10 vs. Kansas State.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yip and we just offered half a mill for one of those coaches. Almost double what we have offered any other coach and to think this guy is a ways off from a .500 record....this hire is almost comical.

I don't know guys... just read the McCarney Bio that Harry posted, and the Bio looks pretty damn good.

Keeping in mind that the Head Coach really needs to be the CEO of the football team and make the right hires, coordinate recruiting, etc., this may turn out to be a great hire.

As for Coach Chico, the guy absolutely did some phenomenal things here against huge odds after taking over as Interim Head Coach. Maybe Coach Chico is offered (and interested in) an OC position at UNT -- or maybe he lands a HC position at another school. Regardless of whether or not Coach Chico remains at UNT, I will always treasure his passion and effort, and will personally wish him all the best - the guy is a winner.

Here's the bottom line... I think we would have just as many folks thinking "did we settle on an emotional hire" if we went with Coach Chico as the new HC. I've met some Iowa St. alumni who are die-hards for the Cyclones, and they honestly believe that ISU is the hardest place to win in the Big 12. Anyone who can win at ISU has a great shot at UNT.

• Upvote 2

We just got done playing K-State to within 8 points. Eight points.

Nice game, but ultimately so what? It is still a loss, and UNT fans are still claiming moral victories.

UNT should be a program that beats OOC opponents in its stadium, not one that takes pride in playing them close.

We hired a sentimental favorite and made the fan base giddy with Todd Dodge. It bombed.

Maybe it was time to change the way we hire coaches and go for someone with head coaching experience, not unproven potential.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Canales may as well have beat them using a 4th string QB, a strained roster, and a list of injuries with a team he just joined.

"May as well have beat them," but didn't actually beat them.

I hope like hell that under Coach McCarney we can stop celebrating moral victories.

A loss is still a loss. Kansas State had one of the worst rushing defenses in the country. We had them 20-7 and couldn't finish them off.

• Upvote 4