Word Out Of San Marcos

Harry

No big surprise but I am hearing that they are pulling out all the stops to land Coach Fran to help them offset Larry Coker at UTSA. I hear they are telling him he is THE guy and drumming up as many big donors and local companies they can to help make the numbers work.

If he wasn't good enough for UNLV or SDSU then I don't see why he should be good enough here

I have to disagree the guy has won everywhere he has been, he helped put tcu in the position they are today. The guy can recruit and coach. If he is willing to work for what we can afford, we need to hire him

• Upvote 1

No big surprise but I am hearing that they are pulling out all the stops to land Coach Fran to help them offset Larry Coker at UTSA. I hear they are telling him he is THE guy and drumming up as many big donors and local companies they can to help make the numbers work.

If TSU-SM gets Coach Fran they will win the "best perception of a school who knows what the hell they're doing in hiring a new HFC award" among our fellow statesmen no matter who we hire IMO. And as many on this forum have posted non-stop: Perception is reality.

Those in the Western USA who didn't hire Fran may not have liked his salary requests or........they may have wanted someone who had a better backround of recruiting the state of California which I don't think Fran had. (Take Californians off the Boise roster and you have a Sun Belt-type of program; that is, unranked with no Top 25 ranked team in sight, either). :blink:

I love the Neinas style in all this but its making nervous wrecks of those of us on this board who have seen UNT screw up too many past hires.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep my cousins in from SA for the holidays are giddy over Coker and the Wac. You throw in TSU and Fran and ladies and gentlemen we are quickly on our way to being passed by. Good ole UNT. God help us get a leadership with some vision, passion and goals for the bigger time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Yep my cousins in from SA for the holidays are giddy over Coker and the Wac. You throw in TSU and Fran and ladies and gentlemen we are quickly on our way to being passed by. Good ole UNT. God help us get a leadership with some vision, passion and goals for the bigger time.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...

He is ready to coach again. Coaches don't all of a sudden lose that passion unless you are Jimmy Johnson.

Now you get to beat up on D1A programs which are quite beatable in Las Cruces, Moscow, San Jose and Logan. Your toughest foe lives in a place called Ruston. You have a natural rival 30 miles up the road. This situation is plum and the only one juicier lives in Denton where you get slightly tougher foes, a manic hungry fanbase, and a new house to decorate with W's.

Fran cannot lose either way and he will build a power wherever he lands.

People that enjoy the stage do not like being on it.

Still holding out faith that my Mean Green don't screw this up.

gmg

If TSU-SM gets Coach Fran they will win the "best perception of a school who knows what the hell they're doing in hiring a new HFC award" among our fellow statesmen no matter who we hire IMO. And as many on this forum have posted non-stop: Perception is reality.

Those in the Western USA who didn't hire Fran may not have liked his salary requests or........they may have wanted someone who had a better backround of recruiting the state of California which I don't think Fran had. (Take Californians off the Boise roster and you have a Sun Belt-type of program; that is, unranked with no Top 25 ranked team in sight, either). :blink:

I love the Neinas style in all this but its making nervous wrecks of those of us on this board who have seen UNT screw up too many past hires.

• Downvote 2

Why would Fran want to go back there again? He was coach there 1990-91.

Wouldn't be for the money because he and Mrs. Fran probably put back their millions from past jobs with a few investments on the side to boot.

But why would he go back to San Marcos?

IF..............TSU-SM Hired Coach Fran:

This would not be top of his list but if North Texas gave him the cold shoulder not only once (when he wanted our job before we crowned Dennis Parker), but twice he might want to see how much bigger he could build a program at San Marcos (of which we are not light years ahead) to kick our a$$ in DFW recruiting and just to show North Texas how they screwed up not hiring him again. No, not top of his list but I'd bet up there in the top portion of why he would take that job. Put yourselves in his shoes. :ph34r:

This potential scenario would make me very sick to my stomach and make this alum all but give up with our leadership at North Texas having any ability to ever do whats right (and progressive) for our school with this most important varsity program. I would not be alone, either.

It would be easy to predict that some heads would eventually roll (not Rawlins, either, he's too new) because of a groundswell of some very pissed of NT Exes and Mean Green fans if we allowed Coach Fran to slip through our fingers (once again) and go to San Marcos. It would be like Rawlins telling North Texas he would prefer the UTA job, instead.

If that nightmarish' thing did happen I would love to hear the spin coming from Denton and if that too would be so far-fetched, then I'd throw the vaunted Pinochio Curse curse :blink: at em' and every time they bullshi&&ed North Texas alums and MG fans.............their freakin' noses would start grow'in! :o Yep! That would do it alright. :rolleyes:

Seriously.........I think I would know of some extremely distrought Mean Green supporters of which some have told me this scenario would make them equally sick and wonder........"whats next for good ol SBU, ie Snake Bit U?"

GMG!

PS: In light of recent revelations if true, might UNT open up this search all over again?

BEST CASE SCENERIO? That there is already a contract with Coach Fran's name on it and only the Monday or Tuesday announcement to come.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Why would Fran want to go back there again? He was coach there 1990-91.

Wouldn't be for the money because he and Mrs. Fran probably put back their millions from past jobs with a few investments on the side to boot.

But why would he go back to San Marcos?

This would not be top of his list but if North Texas gave him the could shoulder not only once (when he wanted our mob before), but twice he might want to see how much bigger he could build a program at San Marcos (of which we are not light years ahead) to kick our a$$ in DFW recruiting and just to show North Texas how they screwed up yet another hire.

This potential scenario would make me sick to my stomach and make this alum all but give up with our leadership at North Texas having any ability to ever do whats right (and progressive) for our school with its most important varsity program. I would not be alone, either.

It would be easy to predict that some heads would eventually roll (not Rawlins, either, he's too new) because of a groundswell of some very pissed of NT Exes and Mean Green fans if we allowed Coach Fran to slip through our fingers (once again) and go to San Marcos.

If that nightmarish' thing did happen I would love to hear the spin coming from Denton and if that too would be so far-fetched, then I'd throw the vaunted Pinochio Curse curse :blink: at em' and every time they bullshi&&ed North Texas alums and MG fans.............their freakin' noses would start grow'in! :o Yep! That would do it alright. :rolleyes:

Seriously.........I think I would know of some extremely distrought Mean Green supporters of which some have told me this scenario would make them equally sick and wonder........"whats next for good ol SBU, ie Snake Bit U?"

GMG!

PS: In light of recent revelations, might UNT open up this search all over again?

BEST CASE SCENERIO:[/b] That there is already a contract with Coach Fran's name on it and only the Monday or Tuesday announcement to come.

I don't give a damn about perception and glitter. All I want is a guy who wants to be here and can win.

And the last 6 we hired didn't want to be here and win? :rolleyes:

Come on, drex, North Texas needs as much glitter as we can get in what will soon be 12 state of Texas AQ and FBS schools after TSU-SM and UTSA are added.

And having known you for well over a quarter of a century and your philosophy of athletic marketing, I know you know the importance of the sizzle, too.

Yet.....this whole damn thing from UNT's perspective has all the earmarks of a bad B movie if we hire the wrong one once again.

As one told me today, "Coach Fran would be the biggest hire in North Texas history--even over Hayden Fry" and guess what..........I agreed with him 110%! (As you know, Fry never had the skins Coach Fran has if we lucked out and got him).

GMG!

PS: Hope you and the Mrs. had a great Thanksgiving, Jim..........PMG

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can tx state afford to pay a higher salary?

Yes If Hawaii isn't part of the WAC that frees up what $500-$1 million a year in travel cost. Also several posters on Bobcatfans keep talking like Phil Fulmer is really interested in TXST. We should know more on Monday.

Edited by TXST_CAT

Judging by the results of the latest head coach poll, the fans view every option as better then hiring McCarney. Since the fans are the ones who buy season tickets, t-shirts, coffee mugs, and every other North Texas item for sale, our voice had better be heard. If McCarney is hired, it won't take much for many on this board to start calling for peoples jobs at the athletic department. We don't want McCarney. I can't say it any clearer.

Hire Fran, Canales, or Kragthorpe, just not McCarney. You got a 75% chance of doing the right thing. Don't screw it up.