Dan Mccarney From An Iowa State Fan

2facedboonefan

You have absolutely no idea WTF you are talking about. Where do you get the idea that McCarney is dry or can't promote? From a YouTube video? Please.

McCarney is the OPPOSITE of dry. He is about as outgoing, personable and in-tune with the boosters, students and fanbase as any coach there is. That was his MAIN STRENGTH at Iowa State and at Florida. He is a rock star at the luncheons and speeches. He is a rock star at glad-handing the boosters. His best asset is an ability to fire up the fan base. His players love him. His absolute strength is PROMOTION! Trust me when I say this. Dan McCarney's personality, energy, and passion is the thing he does best. Where ever you got the idea that he was like Rod Rust...forget it. That assertion is laughable. You have no idea what you are talking about. My god you couldn't be more wrong.

If he has a weakness, it is probably in the Xs and Os. His best asset is absolutely in his personality, promotion, energy, or ability to fire up a fan base. He treats people great, he remembers names, he talks the talk, and you would love him. If the goal is to hire a guy to fire people up, then Dan McCarney should be your guy without one second of hesitation. Listen to him speak for about 15 seconds and you'll be ready to buy season tickets and run through a wall.

Remember, he LEARNED from Hayden Fry. He served on Hayden's staff at Iowa for years. Hayden is McCarney's mentor. He would be a home run hire at North Texas.

The idea that this is even a debate is puzzling. The bigger question to most outsiders is why would McCarney leave his deal at Florida to re-build another program. But, if he is indeed interested in the job, then for god sakes, hire the man.

And thats all some of us older f@rts needed to hear. Thanks for posting!

GMG!

PS: If he's the one, I still hope he would retain Coach Chico as Asst. HFC/O.C. (with nice pay raise); that is, if Coach C would be interested. This could probably land Chico a bigger/better HFC's job down the road as it is because look who would be recommending him then and from a (hopeful) winning program this time around? Think about that one. If Coach Mac left--then another golden opp--Coach C could come out smelling like a rose in this albeit I know his disappointment of not having gotten our job at this point in time, but none on this board had anything to do with that, either.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

If he has a weakness, it is probably in the Xs and Os. His best asset is absolutely in his personality, promotion, energy, or ability to fire up a fan base. He treats people great, he remembers names, he talks the talk, and you would love him. If the goal is to hire a guy to fire people up, then Dan McCarney should be your guy without one second of hesitation. Listen to him speak for about 15 seconds and you'll be ready to buy season tickets and run through a wall.

Awesome! A coach who's weakness is X's and O's!

I would take McCarney in a fight, easily.

DD would just call him a MF'er and run up the middle on him.

• Upvote 1

At about 2:19 of the clip, McCarney at halftime of 2005 win over Iowa, "...this (Iowa) is one of the best second half teams in the country; I see one coach or player that's celebrating, I'll send their ass to the locker room!" Iowa State led 16-0 at half, and won 23-3. Iowa was ranked #8 going into the game; Iowa State, unranked.

Seems "fiery" enough to me. And, sounds like a guy who knows how to get guys to pay attention for the full 60 minutes of a ball game.

• Upvote 2

No, we don't have a main rival. And honestly, a lot of us don't want to go into a long explanation as to why a guy has an overall losing record, since apologists here did for our last 2 hfc's.

You seem nice enough, but it took you 2 paragraphs to do it.

We do have a main rival except they don't call us "their" rival; albeit, our games draw more fans than any other opponent either school plays to date.

New Mexico State has been a good rival when we were in the Mo' Valley and 'Belt with those Aggies.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

who the hell is diet coke boy and why is he talked about so much? lol

Diet Coke boy was a student assistant whose job during games was to carry Coach Dickey's Diet Coke. Because of this job, he has claimed a spot in UNT lore alongside Hector the Eagle Dog and the albino squirrels.

Diet Coke boy was a student assistant whose job during games was to carry Coach Dickey's Diet Coke. Because of this job, he has claimed a spot in UNT lore alongside Hector the Eagle Dog and the albino squirrels.

Found this thread using a google search: Diet Coke Boy Injury Prone?

The question: Is Diet Coke Boy prone to injuries?

I think that we have alot to worry about relying on Freddy "Quick Pour" LaFlor this season. Freddy has had three wrist sprains, one jammed thumb, and two tennis elbows in the past year. He has missed all or part of 5 games the last two years. I, for one, and not going to depend on him getting the job done this year. I think it is high time that we start putting a serious effort into recruiting some top flight blue chip athletes to give us some drink depth. I mean, what if DD gets thirsty from calling his 8th draw before halftime and he turns to Freddy for a sip of ice cold refreshment and sees him sitting on the trainers table nursing a playstation cramp. Who's gonna quench DD's thirst for aspertame and caffeine. Do we want to rely on walkon Timmy "The Drinkerator" Franklin. He's got heart and all, but he's never served up carbonated beverages in D-1 yet. Should we turn to true freshman. Hank "No Spill" McGill? He may hold a few state records for ice distribution and spill conatinment but this aint high school anymore. I know LaFlor led the nation in pour to quarter ratio as a true freshman but he really disapointed last season and I blame it on his injuries. People, it's time to wake up.

:lol: Eagle-96 gets a +1 for that - interesting that you can give +1s on old posts!

Edited by Stix

If we hire McCarney, I think he'll be the second UNT coach in our history to have college head coaching experience at the time of his hire. The first was Hayden Fry.

Bob Tyler had been the head football coach at Mississippi State before we hired him. He was unemployed at the time. Thank goodness his tenure was only one year.

• Upvote 1