Dan Mccarney From An Iowa State Fan

2facedboonefan

Hey guys, I'm an Iowa State fan and I just want you to let you know that I think Dan McCarney would be a GREAT fit at North Texas, as do most other Cyclone fans I've talked to.

First off, the man is a passionate football coach. I don't know where people got the idea that he has a boring personality, because it couldn't be further from the truth. He brings a ton of positive energy that resonates very well with players and fans. He's the kind of guy that could get you to run through a brick wall. A true genius at motivation. Players loved him, and he was great at fan functions.

As for recruiting, Mac has years of experience recruiting in Texas AND Florida, the two biggest states in the Sun Belt footprint, as well as the midwest. When he was at Iowa State he developed great relationships with all the high schools in Iowa, and I know he would be able to do the same in the North Texas area.

Do you have a main rival? Mac is great at taking down his team's biggest rival. When he arrived at Iowa State, we were in the middle of a 15 year losing streak against the Iowa Hawkeyes. In Mac's fourth year, he upset the Hawks, and from that point on he won six of nine against the Hawkeyes.

Mac did great things for Iowa State. I've already mentioned the losing streak against the Hawkeyes before he got here, but we also hadn't been to a bowl game in 17 years. With Kansas State's improvement under Snyder, we were easily the worst program in the Big 8, and then we had to move into the tougher Big 12 in Mac's second year. The previous staff had basically quit recruiting about three years before Mac got here, so he had mostly Division 2 level players to work with. On top of that facilities were not good at all.

Despite all of the factors working against him, Mac was able to get things turned around at Iowa State. His biggest problem, and the main reason he was forced out, was that we couldn't afford to keep the good assistants that he hired (like our current head coach Paul Rhoads, and St. Louis Rams offensive line coach Steve Loney). The lack of staff continuity caused by that doomed him.

You might look at his record at Iowa State and see it as mediocre or bad, but you have to keep in mind just how bad Iowa State was before he got here, and also how many more millions of dollars schools like Texas and Oklahoma bring in. I confess that I don't know a ton about North Texas, but I do know that you have had fairly recent success, winning the Sun Belt three or four times in a row. I also imagine that you are far more even with other teams in the Sun Belt when it comes to revenue than Iowa State is with the big boys in the Big 12. If Mac could succeed at Iowa State, I have no doubt that he could succeed and have an even better record at North Texas. As Mac would say there's "no doubt about it."

I'll leave you with with one final thought. In his resignation speech at Iowa State, Coach Mac mentioned his favorite quote (from Bobby Kennedy), and it exemplifies the way he thinks. Here is the quote, and you can apply it to North Texas:

"Some people see things as they are and say, why? I dream things that never were and say, why not? When I took this job I said, why not Iowa State? Why not winning? Why not bowl games? Why not sell outs? Why not national respect? Why not us? Why not here? Why not the Cyclone family?"

No, we don't have a main rival. And honestly, a lot of us don't want to go into a long explanation as to why a guy has an overall losing record, since apologists here did for our last 2 hfc's.

You seem nice enough, but it took you 2 paragraphs to do it.

No, we don't have a main rival. And honestly, a lot of us don't want to go into a long explanation as to why a guy has an overall losing record, since apologists here did for our last 2 hfc's.

You seem nice enough, but it took you 2 paragraphs to do it.

I can promise you that if you're basing your opinion on his record, you're making a big mistake. He had a HUGE hole to dig Iowa State out of, which is the reason for the losing record. The hole North Texas has to dig out of is not anywhere near as big. You guys have multiple conference championships in the past decade. Iowa State hasn't won a conference championship since 1912. It makes a big difference what the starting point is.

I'm just an impartial observer. I came to these boards just to see what the general consensus was on who should be the next coach at UNT. My feeling is that Dan McCarney would be a good hire. I can see how folks think he comes off as a bit dry, but sometimes that's a good thing. Seems like a guy that will be very even keeled. He had some success at ISU, a place that is really tough to coach.

Regardless of who is chosen, I look forward to seeing who is selected. I've always respected the UNT program and think that the right guy could have a lot of success at your school.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for coming onto the board and giving us some insight into him. Personally, I want Leavitt or Canales, but if he is chosen, I hope you are right. I was hoping to be excited with this hire, but right now I feel like Im watching Showtime, and the only program on is Deadwood.

I'm just an impartial observer. I came to these boards just to see what the general consensus was on who should be the next coach at UNT. My feeling is that Dan McCarney would be a good hire. I can see how folks think he comes off as a bit dry, but sometimes that's a good thing. Seems like a guy that will be very even keeled. He had some success at ISU, a place that is really tough to coach.

Regardless of who is chosen, I look forward to seeing who is selected. I've always respected the UNT program and think that the right guy could have a lot of success at your school.

Thanks for coming to the board and offering your opinion. First of all, dry DOES NOT work at North Texas. Darryll Dickey was very dry and it didn't endear him to anyone. North Texas needs a pep talk, not dry humor. That's why Hayden Fry was so successful here, and that's why Mike Canales would be the most ideal person for the job.

I know that Iowa St. had a long tradition of losing, but it's not the same thing because you have always been in the B-12. You have that resource to keep you going during your down years. Last year Iowa State averaged 46,000 in attendance. Even though our student population is much higher (37K vs 28K), we've never had 46,000 people (North Texas people anyway) show up for ANY North Texas football game. Maybe you think that Iowa St. is a lot like NT but NO ONE IS LIKE NORTH TEXAS.

I watched one of the videos of the post game interview with Coach McCarney and he reminds me of another guy from Iowa....Rod Rust. Rod Rust was intense, very smart about football, but he had absolutely NO ABILITY to connect with the students, alumni, or the community in general.

We need someone who can COACH, COACH, COACH, and then go out and PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE.

That's Mike Canales, not Dan McCarney.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for coming to the board and offering your opinion. First of all, dry DOES NOT work at North Texas.

You have absolutely no idea WTF you are talking about. Where do you get the idea that McCarney is dry or can't promote? From a YouTube video? Please.

McCarney is the OPPOSITE of dry. He is about as outgoing, personable and in-tune with the boosters, students and fanbase as any coach there is. That was his MAIN STRENGTH at Iowa State and at Florida. He is a rock star at the luncheons and speeches. He is a rock star at glad-handing the boosters. His best asset is an ability to fire up the fan base. His players love him. His absolute strength is PROMOTION! Trust me when I say this. Dan McCarney's personality, energy, and passion is the thing he does best. Where ever you got the idea that he was like Rod Rust...forget it. That assertion is laughable. You have no idea what you are talking about. My god you couldn't be more wrong.

If he has a weakness, it is probably in the Xs and Os. His best asset is absolutely in his personality, promotion, energy, or ability to fire up a fan base. He treats people great, he remembers names, he talks the talk, and you would love him. If the goal is to hire a guy to fire people up, then Dan McCarney should be your guy without one second of hesitation. Listen to him speak for about 15 seconds and you'll be ready to buy season tickets and run through a wall.

Remember, he LEARNED from Hayden Fry. He served on Hayden's staff at Iowa for years. Hayden is McCarney's mentor. He would be a home run hire at North Texas.

The idea that this is even a debate is puzzling. The bigger question to most outsiders is why would McCarney leave his deal at Florida to re-build another program. But, if he is indeed interested in the job, then for god sakes, hire the man.

Edited by footballguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

You have absolutely no idea WTF you are talking about. Where do you get the idea that McCarney is dry or can't promote? From a YouTube video? Please.

McCarney is the OPPOSITE of dry. He is about as outgoing, personable and in-tune with the boosters, students and fanbase as any coach there is. That was his MAIN STRENGTH at Iowa State and at Florida. He is a rock star at the luncheons and speeches. He is a rock star at glad-handing the boosters. His best asset is an ability to fire up the fan base. His players love him. His absolute strength is PROMOTION! Trust me when I say this. Dan McCarney's personality, energy, and passion is the thing he does best. Where ever you got the idea that he was like Rod Rust...forget it. That assertion is laughable. You have no idea what you are talking about. My god you couldn't be more wrong.

If he has a weakness, it is probably in the Xs and Os. His best asset is absolutely in his personality, promotion, energy, or ability to fire up a fan base. He treats people great, he remembers names, he talks the talk, and you would love him. If the goal is to hire a guy to fire people up, then Dan McCarney should be your guy without one second of hesitation. Listen to him speak for about 15 seconds and you'll be ready to buy season tickets and run through a wall.

Remember, he LEARNED from Hayden Fry. He served on Hayden's staff at Iowa for years. Hayden is McCarney's mentor. He would be a home run hire at North Texas.

The idea that this is even a debate is puzzling. The bigger question to most outsiders is why would McCarney leave his deal at Florida to re-build another program. But, if he is indeed interested in the job, then for god sakes, hire the man.

Thank you for the insight, Mrs.McCarney.

:rolleyes::lol:

Thank you for the insight, Mrs.McCarney.

:rolleyes::lol:

Yeah, great response. Clearly, you guys have done your research. Sorry I tried to offer some first hand insight here. Instead, you go ahead and live in your fantasy world where somehow Dan McCarney is considered dry.

My gosh, it is puzzling. Anyone who calls McCarney dry has not a clue. None. My god, make a few calls. Ask the folks in Ames, Iowa City, Madison or Gainesville about him. Ask Hayden Fry about him. He is one of Hayden's favorites. Just about the LAST word that anyone who has spent any time with the man would call him is "dry."

Edited by footballguy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, great response. Clearly, you guys have done your research. Sorry I tried to offer some first hand insight here. Instead, you go ahead and live in your fantasy world where somehow Dan McCarney is considered dry.

My gosh, it is puzzling. Anyone who calls McCarney dry has not a clue. None. My god, make a few calls. Ask the folks in Ames or Gainesville about him. Ask Hayden Fry about him. He is one of Hayden's favorites. Just about the LAST word that anyone who has spent any time with the man would call him is "dry."

Well then, if he's such a dynamo, why didn't he do better at Iowa State. And why haven't other schools who are in need of a "dynamic" head coach, who have MUCH DEEPER POCKETS THAN NORTH TEXAS snapped him up?

Edited by SilverEagle

Thanks for coming to the board and offering your opinion. First of all, dry DOES NOT work at North Texas. Darryll Dickey was very dry and it didn't endear him to anyone. North Texas needs a pep talk, not dry humor. That's why Hayden Fry was so successful here, and that's why Mike Canales would be the most ideal person for the job.

I know that Iowa St. had a long tradition of losing, but it's not the same thing because you have always been in the B-12. You have that resource to keep you going during your down years. Last year Iowa State averaged 46,000 in attendance. Even though our student population is much higher (37K vs 28K), we've never had 46,000 people (North Texas people anyway) show up for ANY North Texas football game. Maybe you think that Iowa St. is a lot like NT but NO ONE IS LIKE NORTH TEXAS.

I watched one of the videos of the post game interview with Coach McCarney and he reminds me of another guy from Iowa....Rod Rust. Rod Rust was intense, very smart about football, but he had absolutely NO ABILITY to connect with the students, alumni, or the community in general.

We need someone who can COACH, COACH, COACH, and then go out and PROMOTE, PROMOTE, PROMOTE.

That's Mike Canales, not Dan McCarney.

Coach Rust came to NT from Stanford.

http://www.fanbase.com/Rod-Rust

Edited by eulesseagle

Well then, if he's such a dynamo, why didn't he do better at Iowa State. And why haven't other schools who are in need of a "dynamic" head coach, who have MUCH DEEPER POCKETS THAN NORTH TEXAS snapped him up?

Well, do some research into what type of situation he walked into at Iowa State. The team was winless the year before he got there. They hadn't been to a bowl game for 20 years. Yet, he got them into five bowl games in his final seven years. He tied for a conference division title. To put it simply, he absolutely maxed that place out given the resources, the tradition, the budget, etc. He was working with a $9 million TOTAL football budget taking on the Oklahoma's and Texas' of the world who were spending $9 million on team meals.

Look, if you don't think he should be the coach, fine. But, at least base it in something factual. Calling him dry or unsuccessful at Iowa State is just wrong.

If you want reasons not to hire him, then age would be a factor, the fact he's never been a coach in Texas might be one, and he generally is considered an average Xs and Os guy/game manager. Those - especially the age - are probably why he hasn't been hired again at a BCS level school. He has turned down head coaching job offers in the MAC and other lower level conferences.

But, his time at ISU should be a positive, not a negative. His personality should be a positive, not a negative.

Of all of Hayden's assistants that have gone on to success, McCarney is probably the guy most like Fry. In fact, I'm guessing that Hayden is probably helping push this one from both sides. If you're a "Fry guy" then you should be happy with McCarney.

Edited by footballguy

My gosh, it is puzzling. Anyone who calls McCarney dry has not a clue. None. My god, make a few calls. Ask the folks in Ames, Iowa City, Madison or Gainesville about him. Ask Hayden Fry about him. He is one of Hayden's favorites. Just about the LAST word that anyone who has spent any time with the man would call him is "dry."

Don't get your licorice thongs in a wad. Your first post ever on GMG had so much conviction & fire, it made you a sitting duck. I couldn't resist....

And for teh record, I would be ok with McCarney as the new HC.

Edited by Got5onIt

You could do much worse than Dan McCarney. Hes charismatic, fiery, and exudes great character. He's a legend up here.

Dan came into the fold of a bad situation at ISU. Poor facilities, and lowest football budget acorss the board in the Big 8/Big 12. This university would need a very special coach to turn things around. Took a while building up from nothing, but he posted a 9 win season at Iowa State in 2000 and went to 5 bowls in 6 years. For a program with no football tradition that was a fabulous run.

Had Dan came into a situation of better over all administrative and fan support($$$) he might have really made Iowa State into a more nationally recognized program. Dan played a large part in Iowa state getting some much needed stadium renovations and a state of the art indoor practice facility late in his stint at ISU. You could argue that coach Mac was the best thing to happen to ISU in the last 20+ years. Paul Rhoads may end up wrestling that title away, but the transformation he pulled off here was quite the accomplishment.

The state of Iowa loves and respects Dan McCarney. If he does become your HFC, you have a solid man to rally around. Former players of Dan talk so highly of him to this day. Every man in that locker room would lay it all out on the line for Mac.

That's interesting. I wonder if Hayden picked up the phone and called our AD.

That is an interesting connection that I had not considered. Who knows what is really going on?

I can't say I'm very excited if McCarney is indeed the choice. As someone else said, why hasn't he been picked up as a HC again instead of serving as a position coach?

If I correctly recall from the job announcement, it stated that the position called for someone with previous head coaching experience, either at the college or NFL (!) level. This would rule Canales out.

That is an interesting connection that I had not considered. Who knows what is really going on?

I can't say I'm very excited if McCarney is indeed the choice. As someone else said, why hasn't he been picked up as a HC again instead of serving as a position coach?

If I correctly recall from the job announcement, it stated that the position called for someone with previous head coaching experience, either at the college or NFL (!) level. This would rule Canales out.

Wonder if Coach Canales could use his short time as interim head coach to satisfy the requirements in the job announcement????

Somebody should know Kelly well enough to call him and ask his opinion. He will have one!

Oh Wow! The resemblance is amazing... even down to the playsheet tucked in the pants.

Yeah, I thought it was a picture of DD at first - and thought that was Diet Coke boy behind him! :lol: