I Have To Say.....

meanrob

First off, i'm not sure i even understand your arguments on your blog. You say the offense was so bad in the first few games and the reasons are obvious yet you give no reasons and actually the offense moved the ball the first two games. It's like you pick and choose when you want to give credit to Canales yet none of us no how much credit or blame Canales actually gets or deserves. Did Canales game plan the Army game? The FIU game? The FAU game?

It's also getting old that you take the opinions of a few and then twist it to make it seem like the opinions of the majority. If i just read your take i would believe that every UNT fan and donor was againt Canales. It takes me about 2 minutes of reading GMG.com to know that isn't the truth. The majority are either for him, or giving him the opportunity to show what he can do. Only a select few are actively against his hire. Not the majority.

Look, most of us know that Dodge didn't make your job any easier and Canales probably would. But to openly push for his hire and attempt (i say attempt because in my mind you are doing more cheerleading than actual reporting) to sway people for his hire is both unprofessional and not your job. It's one thing to vet through a list of candidates and give your opinion on who would be the best hire and why. It's another thing entirely to push for one single candidate and then bash your readers who would like the process open to other candidates or who attempt to question who you are cheering for to get the job.

But hey, i guess i just haven't caught up with this new world of "journalism".

Rob Black

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 8

You're not alone Rob.

Keith

Agree, meanrob...

The Sun Belt Conference has for too long become the opiate of our alums and fans. It's all that some go by--but it is all they've had to go by--at least for now.

I am no more paying complete attention to those pushing a particular one for HFC than some of that group are paying attention to anything I post. If I posted "Jesus is the Saviour of the World" I would immediatley get 6 itty bitty red numbers within a 10 second span of time w/o some even reading what I had posted. Oh well...its our culture of low expectation and still a propensity to "isolate and demonize" the one who does not agree. :rolleyes:

BUT...........who I am paying attention to in all this now is a newly appointed UNT President who just had "interim" removed from his title and this new President immediatley says he wants to re-position UNT athletics. Most times the Board of Regents fall in line with what a school's president wants to do especially during the honeymoon period.

Now Dr. Rawlin's "re-position" word could be interrpreted many ways but some of us have a huge feeling that things are fixin' to change dramatically at UNT as to create a new culture of higher expectation for MG athletics--with a new stadium debuting next Fall, the timing could not be better from the Office of the UNT President.

Neinas has not only been trying to focus upon a good match coach for UNT but he has also recently been evaluating the UNT Athletic Dept. in general from all accounts. No, there will probably be no mass firings over there and probaby not even one, but from all accounts the word "accountability" is probably going to become a new watch word over there as it should for any department on our campus.

One glaring stat that I'd bet Neinas has pointed out is we have not had even one of our major varsity sports programs that has never smelled Top 25 rankings; in fact, Top 50 for that matter. I would have to be reminded if the Sun Belt has had any football program in the Top 50 of which we would all like to say would be North Texas, but my gut tells me more like Troy sometimes in recent years if at all.

At some point, even Boise had to re-position for what they wanted to do with their football program and today they have become the model for many schools like UNT. I think most of our group would prefer Top 25 rather than Bottom 25, but the 'Belt has give us an unwanted culture of just about always thinking and competing to the level of our SBC competition which is where the word from our Prez', ie, re-position may have in mind to get us out of this deep well.

Again, totally agree, meanrob.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

I think it's typical for the Dallas Morning News beat writers for the various teams to become opinionated, i.e. Kate Hairopoulos (sp?), writing about how "frustrating", "maddening" or whatever the terms were about SMU having another late game collapse recently (hey, something to feel good about?). I have mixed opinions about Vito, where that sometimes he seems objective and analytical, and sometimes he just seems to be stirring the pot. If he wants to stir the pot, maybe he's accomplishing what he set out to do. If what Rob is saying is that the Canales controversy is inflated by the local media, that would fit one theory about selling newspapers. A pretty good movie, maybe 10 or so years ago, "Shipping News", went into how sensationalism sells.

It's a blog.. a place for opinions. D on't like it , don't read it. He gets paid by the hits on link so of course he might twist something just to get more viewers.

I swear if all else fails this board turns it anger to either SMU or Vito.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Ok, he either gets hammered for not being positive enough about North Texas and being it's cheerleader, or he's an uninformed blogger.

You know, I see writers from all the other newspapers (Randy Galloway for one) offer their opinions. Why is Vito not allow to offer his?

My answer? First Galloway is a columnist, not a beat writer which what Vito is first and foremost. And this isn't a column giving an opinion. He's injecting his personal preference in his writing, not writing a column giving his opinion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I agree, he has a slant. It's a blog. And how can his opinion bother you so much when the PMG crusade is not only insulting (accusing those who disagree of naivety znd being easily pacified) and nauseatingly redundant. At least I have to click on a link external to this board to read Vito's side of the argument.

Oh, the King of the Posters Who Mostly Posts About Posters Strikes again. Sad...

Actually, the first thing I think of when I post yet another epistle (that you still seem to read) is: What can I post that will possibly insult Emmitt? I spend hours trying to come up with whatever that would be, too. So........I try to come up with signatures (like the one below) that I think would do the job with his fellow hardy handful of red number sticker kickers.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Oh, the King of the Posters Who Mostly Posts About Posters Strikes again. Sad...

Actually, the first thing I think of when I post another epistle that you still seem to read is: What can I post that will possibly insult Emmitt?

Can I get that on a tshirt? Small font obviously.

Oh, and like 99% of everyone on this board, I read the first paragraph, realize its identical to the previous post and move on. Its like watching a romantic comedy...you could stay til the end but you'll end up wishing you had that portion of your life back.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 7

Can I get that on a tshirt? Small font obviously.

Oh, and like 99% of everyone on this board, I read the first paragraph, realize its identical to the previous post and move on. Its like watching a romantic comedy...you could stay til the end but you'll end up wishing you had that portion of your life back.

You are from the era that knows nothing but losing (I guess, me too for tha matter) or winning at lower levels, emmitt, so do we really have anything in common thats worth even exchanging posts?

I do know you used to tell all in your signature all the schools you could have attended which many of us Old Gun Alums used to get some real laughs about that; of course, we all felt so blessed that you chose North Texas instead of, uh, was it.......Harvard and then post grad at Harvard Law School among all the others? My last response...I have to move on to thinking up other things that will insult you. :rolleyes:

BTW, I could have attended Roffler Barber School but decided I didn't like the smell of Vitalis or Southern Rose or "little dab a do ya'" Brylcream. Smart move on my part I think.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Ok, he either gets hammered for not being positive enough about North Texas and being it's cheerleader, or he's an uninformed blogger.

You know, I see writers from all the other newspapers (Randy Galloway for one) offer their opinions. Why is Vito not allow to offer his?

Journalism died a long long time ago.......is there really any truely objective journalism that is totally unbiased? Not any more.

Opinions sell.....MSMBC or FOX?

Walter Williams or Jessie Jackson?

Communist Workers Daily or Drudge Report?

Vito or meanrob?

If you don't like the source don't read it because it is obvious what that source is going to propagandize...............................sometimes.

Don't you Vito bashers see the correlation between Vito and the way the Team is playing? Vito was treated by the prior coach as if he was a nuisance, a pain in the rear, an obstacle. We are seeing a complete turn around in Vito's attitude toward the coach/team. Kinda like what we are seeing on the field. See the correlation? Just like the team is enjoying football again, Vito is enjoying his job of covering UNT FB. Coach C understands that you NEVER p_iss off a guy with a pen or camera in his hand. He has been around some great head coaches at the NFL and college level and learned much. If Vito likes Coach C, its not his fault. He has a reason!! Coach C gets it folks.

• Upvote 3

Don't you Vito bashers see the correlation between Vito and the way the Team is playing? Vito was treated by the prior coach as if he was a nuisance, a pain in the rear, an obstacle. We are seeing a complete turn around in Vito's attitude toward the coach/team. Kinda like what we are seeing on the field. See the correlation? Just like the team is enjoying football again, Vito is enjoying his job of covering UNT FB. Coach C understands that you NEVER p_iss off a guy with a pen or camera in his hand. He has been around some great head coaches at the NFL and college level and learned much. If Vito likes Coach C, its not his fault. He has a reason!! Coach C gets it folks.

Honestly? I like Vito. We've PM'ed a few times back and forth on several subjects...we just don't agree on everthing, but we do agree on a few things.

I've known DRC Sports Editors dating back to early 1970's, Mack Owens, Art Chapmon (later a feature writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram, Randy Cummings (didn't know RC as well) and who's left among that group besides Vito?

I only fear that that Sun Belt Conference has, too, been the opiate for the DRC society too many times for those of us (many, BTW) who will never uses this league as our barometer for things to come but........that does not make Vito a bad person, either. I think as long as Vito attempts to do the Fox thing, ie, Fair & Balanced, he will be fine.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 5

Vito can't give his opinion on a list of potential candidates because he has no idea who they are. Does anyone really think that any of the candidates that fans want to be considered for the job would not have beaten Western Kentucky or a terrible MTSU team? This all goes back to last season when RV should have fired Dodge. The Sun Belt is just plain awful this year and the lack of a new head coach to start the 2010 season probably cost UNT a conference championship. I could throw darts at a board and find someone to win in the Sun Belt but for some reason it is so very difficult for RV.

• Upvote 2

Vito can't give his opinion on a list of potential candidates because he has no idea who they are. Does anyone really think that any of the candidates that fans want to be considered for the job would not have beaten Western Kentucky or a terrible MTSU team? This all goes back to last season when RV should have fired Dodge. The Sun Belt is just plain awful this year and the lack of a new head coach to start the 2010 season probably cost UNT a conference championship. I could throw darts at a board and find someone to win in the Sun Belt but for some reason it is so very difficult for RV.

Yeah, but didn't those injuries early on have a little to do with that? Canales last I checked was O.C. on that very injured MG football team back then, too.

Yet how many of that group have been back the last few weeks post-Dodge firing? I have no idea on that...anyone?

Personally, I think when a few "name" coaches start showing up in Denton (if they don't do some of their interviewing at DFW Airport so no one in Denton has even a hint) then I think many on this board will start asking, "Well, ya' know what, "he" really might be the guy for our New Era/New Stadium" (compared to the "one" whose tires many have been kicking now going on a month).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Honestly? I like Vito. We've PM'ed a few times back and forth on several subjects...we just don't agree on everthing, but we do agree on a few things.

I've known DRC Sports Editors dating back to early 1970's, Mack Owens, Art Chapmon (later a feature writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram, Randy Cummings (didn't know RC as well) and who's left among that group besides Vito?

I only fear that that Sun Belt Conference has, too, been the opiate for the DRC society too many times for those of us (many, BTW) who will never uses this league as our barometer for things to come but........that does not make Vito a bad person, either. I think as long as Vito attempts to do the Fox thing, ie, Fair & Balanced, he will be fine.

Do you believe that about Fox News? I am curious...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2