Mark Stoops And What Do We Think?

All About UNT

I don't know about him being a buzz hire. He has the Stoops name but I didn't know he existed before tonight's info. How about Eric Stoops, he is undefeated as head coach? MayShawn Paterno? Chris Bowden? Jerry Fry? :unsure:

[/quote

For some reason, I am not real excited about a "Stoops". I mean, he may be a good coach. But I would like to hear of 2 or 3 others that we talked to or at least approached before settling on somebody with a famous last name. If RV can tell us he crossed out the "Stoops" name on his resume and would have hired him if the last name were Boogeroni or such, that he truly was the MOST qualified, then I am for it. But like many have pointed out about another candidate, he sure has a lot of stops and has not stayed in one place very long.

I guess there is a legitimate argument over the Stoops name. How has FSU done defensively since he's been DC?

Think I read 13th or 14th (too late for me to verify), but his brother, Bob, did throttle them this year. But it is Florida State, which means a good coordinator can do ok even when a program like Fla. State is down, but they still get some darn good athletes.

If we're going the coordinator route, Mark Stoops is an excellent choice. The Stoops brothers recruit coast-to-coast.

Get ready for their feast or famine defenses though...the Stoopses love to blitz and leave their corners all alone. We'll need some robust corner recruits if Mark Stoops is the choice.

You will see the same thing you see at Oklahoma and Arizona - defenders flying around the ball like crazy...sometimes, too crazy. But, crazy nonetheless.

First, the Stoops name is magic here in the Southwest and he does come from a winning football program.

I don't think I've ever gotten an answer to my question, so I will pose it this way. Would you accept a coach with the following credentials?:

1985-86 Brigham Young University Graduate Assistant - Quarterbacks

1987-94 Snow College Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks C oach

1995 Pacific Quarterbacks Coach

1996-2000 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

2001-2002 North Carolina State Quarterbacks Coach /Passing Game Coordinator

2003 New York Jets Wide Receivers Coach

2004-2006 University of Arizona Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

2007-2009 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

If we are interested in Defense Coach, why not Paul Pasqualoni? He will probably be gone from Cowboys at end of year, was very successful at Syracuse, as program went to hell when he left. He has NFL experience, probably out of price range but would be nice to send out a feeler.

I don't think I've ever gotten an answer to my question, so I will pose it this way. Would you accept a coach with the following credentials?:

1996-2000 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

2007-2009 University of South Florida Offensive Coordinator - Quarterbacks Coach

Yes. In fact, he's more experienced that the younger Stoops. I think if it comes down to these two Rick Villareal just has to ask himself if he wants an offensive minded coach or a defensive minded coach. Both are in their 40s and full of energy, I'd be happy with either.

As to Pasqualoni, I'd gladly have him as well. He put alot of players in the NFL. He, like Glen Mason, was a victim of an ungrateful fanbase. He gave Syracuse many winning seasons; and, they showed their appreciation by cutting him loose. I'd love watching Minnesota and Syracuse fail after firing those two. Those schools got what they deserved.

I don't think there's any question that Mark Stoops has the technical skill for the job. He knows football and he probably has a good idea about how big time programs operate. It may just be me, but I place a pretty high premium on guys who have had success coaching at the mid-major level.

At the AQ level, schools have access to resources and amenities which we, at North Texas, can't touch right now. If a coach cannot prove he knows how to do more with less, then I wonder how well they'd do here. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think there's any question that Mark Stoops has the technical skill for the job. He knows football and he probably has a good idea about how big time programs operate. It may just be me, but I place a pretty high premium on guys who have had success coaching at the mid-major level.

At the AQ level, schools have access to resources and amenities which we, at North Texas, can't touch right now. If a coach cannot prove he knows how to do more with less, then I wonder how well they'd do here. Just my 2 cents.

I tend to agree with this...although, that wipes out most of who we'd want. My guess is hiring a guy who's built a mid-major will have less of a culture shock, so to speak, when he sees how much less a recruiting budget, etc. he has here.

And, that's why I'd favor a coach who's been not only a mid-major builder, but someone who has recruiting ties all over the country. Texas is important, and will always be most important. But, to build this thing, we can't have a 1970s mindset.

Darrell Dickey dabbled abroad with some success. We need that x 10 going forward.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Well, here's someone who was never a HC before he was hired for the job at Kansas State.

Bill Snyder

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1962 Gallatin H.S. (Asst.)

1964–1965 Indio H.S.(Asst.)

1966 USC (GA)

1967–1968 Indio H.S.

1969–1973 Santa Ana Foothill H.S.

1974–1975 Austin College (OC)

1976–1978 North Texas (Asst.)

1979–1988 Iowa (OC)

1989–2005 Kansas State

2009– Kansas State

Head coaching record

Overall 148–77–1

Bowls 6–5

So, Bill Snyder started coaching in 1962 and didn't get his first (and only) head coaching gig until 1989. That's 27 years.

So Coach Canales not only has more impressive stops on his coaching resume, he's looking to be a HC two year earlier than Bill Snyder.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Agree! Very good points, and worth more than 2 cents.

This is where I think Boise has been great. They have a system in place that works for them. Coaces have come and gone and they keep wining. They found the right mix and gone after success.

....now waiting for the next new anonymous poster with a sudden interest in North Texas to post something negative to trash Mark Stoops.

Rick

I'm waiting for the next anonymous poster to find an interesting name out there we haven't thought of who may slightly make sense and suggest he's a top candidate. And then watch as we all go crazy arguing with each other over his qualifications or lack there of.

I guess it's better than wondering if Dodge will get a pass because of the injuries.

I'm waiting for the next anonymous poster to find an interesting name out there we haven't thought of who may slightly make sense and suggest he's a top candidate. And then watch as we all go crazy arguing with each other over his qualifications or lack there of.

I guess it's better than wondering if Dodge will get a pass because of the injuries.

Teryl Austin...Discuss.

One of these resumes is not like the other. Can you tell the difference? Which is correct? If the attachment is correct then why would Canales allow his bio on the NT website to be incorrect?

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Coach=528

So it was insinuated by Rock earlier today that a current Staff Coach at Florida St. was being looked at very strongly for the HC position here. I do not mean to overstep my limited projection skills but I would have to think that DC Mark Stoops is the only one on the rooster that we would wish to obtain as HC at this point. So..the question is...what could Mark Stoops do for UNT?

My thoughts are that a strong HC with legit DC credentials if fantastic. Combine that with retaining Chico as an OC (and a needed pay raise) if Stoops would go for it and we might have a dynamite coaching staff.

Bottom line is that Stoops has taken a mediocre-sub par defense an elevated them to current leaders in Sacks and 27th in the nation in Points Scored Against. With 2 of their three loses coming in at 4 or less points....its hard to ignore the fact that FSU has definitely initiated a turnaround.

What are the thoughts on Mark?

No thanks. I don't like his brother.

Well, here's someone who was never a HC before he was hired for the job at Kansas State.

Bill Snyder

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1962 Gallatin H.S. (Asst.)

1964–1965 Indio H.S.(Asst.)

1966 USC (GA)

1967–1968 Indio H.S.

1969–1973 Santa Ana Foothill H.S.

1974–1975 Austin College (OC)

1976–1978 North Texas (Asst.)

1979–1988 Iowa (OC)

1989–2005 Kansas State

2009– Kansas State

Head coaching record

Overall 148–77–1

Bowls 6–5

So, Bill Snyder started coaching in 1962 and didn't get his first (and only) head coaching gig until 1989. That's 27 years.

So Coach Canales not only has more impressive stops on his coaching resume, he's looking to be a HC two year earlier than Bill Snyder.

The gig I underlined made Snyder qualified under Rivals Radio's Bill King's minimum criterion. Which is that nobody should be hired to be the head coach of a DIA university unless they have had substantial experience as either a head coach or offensive or defensive coordinator at a level at which they needed to be concerned with the offering of scholarships and the APR. I've checked on occasion and I think King is correct that in the great majority of cases, those without such experience who have been hired to be DIA head coaches have failed.

What amounts to "substantial" is up to interpretation. However, SDSU hired Tom Craft to be its head coach despite that fact that although he had half a dozen spectacular years as a JC head coach, he had no such prior experience at the DIA level and only two years as an OC at the DIA level. Craft proved to be a good game day coach but 52% of his recruits over a 3-year period never played more than one season and the NCAA reduced SDSU's allowable scholarships for his final year and all three years of Chuck Long's tenure as a result of the consequent terrible APR. Oh, and despite bringing in several studs who DID play four years, Craft never qualified for a bowl game.

I have it on good authority, aka from Chico himself, he is only staying here as HC, no OC even under Leavitt

That doesn't seem to be a statement of loyalty to UNT or the players. I guess that is the difference in it being just a job vs alumni who have a never-ending investment in the program regardless of the situation or coach.

Unless he has another offer already waiting somewhere (does he?) then why wouldn't he want to stay employed here and build his case again for a HC job instead of being unemployed? Either way it makes no sense to say such comments before a head coach selection is made.

Edited by NT80

Apparently Mark Stoops was interested in being a head coach last December before he took the FSU job...

http://tucsoncitizen.com/wildcatreport/2009/12/04/report-mark-stoops-extremely-interested-in-youngstown-state-job/

I'd still like to see all the choices on the "short list" before throwing my support behind a candidate. Perhaps they could debate their qualifications for the job with Harry and Evan on a podcast for us?

Meanwhile, for those interested in seeing the possible candidate at work:

Clemson at Florida State 7:00 p.m. ABC *1 (HD) or ESPN-GP *2

Edited by NT80

That doesn't seem to be a statement of loyalty to UNT or the players. I guess that is the difference in it being just a job vs alumni who have a never-ending investment in the program regardless of the situation or coach.

Unless he has another offer already waiting somewhere (does he?) then why wouldn't he want to stay employed here and build his case again for a HC job instead of being unemployed? Either way it makes no sense to say such comments before a head coach selection is made.

He's on a 1 year contract I believe.

If he excels somewhat as the HC 3 wins, then what is the point in accepting a demotion in essence.

It's not a matter of loyalty more pride maybe?

I'm just saying can the dreams of Leavitt/Canales

Before this gets out of hand, I don;t know the Canales family, just ended up talking to them late one night