Mark Stoops And What Do We Think?

All About UNT

So it was insinuated by Rock earlier today that a current Staff Coach at Florida St. was being looked at very strongly for the HC position here. I do not mean to overstep my limited projection skills but I would have to think that DC Mark Stoops is the only one on the rooster that we would wish to obtain as HC at this point. So..the question is...what could Mark Stoops do for UNT?

My thoughts are that a strong HC with legit DC credentials if fantastic. Combine that with retaining Chico as an OC (and a needed pay raise) if Stoops would go for it and we might have a dynamite coaching staff.

Bottom line is that Stoops has taken a mediocre-sub par defense an elevated them to current leaders in Sacks and 27th in the nation in Points Scored Against. With 2 of their three loses coming in at 4 or less points....its hard to ignore the fact that FSU has definitely initiated a turnaround.

What are the thoughts on Mark?

I like the idea of a defensive head coach. A good defense will keep you in games. Combine that with an explosive offense and you've got something. I'm sure many on this board will be upset because he's not Canales and he's not a "big name" former head coach. The only thing he has going over Canales is that he's a defensive coach, he's got the Stoops last name, and he isn't currently a UNT coach.

I like the idea, now that it's been brought up, although I still have Chico as a "sentimental" favorite. However, could we get over the idea of hiring someone from the outside and assuming that one or any of the current staff could/would be retained. If we want Stoops here, we'll have to hire him as HC and let him name his assistants. If we want Canales, we'll have to hire him as HC and let him name his assistants. Wishing/hoping to have one of our current staff favorites retained by any outside hire is just Jerry's World stuff.

• Upvote 2

I like the idea of a defensive head coach. A good defense will keep you in games. Combine that with an explosive offense and you've got something. I'm sure many on this board will be upset because he's not Canales and he's not a "big name" former head coach. The only thing he has going over Canales is that he's a defensive coach, he's got the Stoops last name, and he isn't currently a UNT coach.

First, the Stoops name is magic here in the Southwest and he does come from a winning football program. Fry coached the other 2 Stoops that are HFC's. And you are right, you build with defense, too.

UNT Thumbed Nose To Even One of Our Own: Funny thing, though, when Fry left Denton in 1978 UNT alum and football letterman Bill Bashier (Def. Coord.) was the one UNT assistant Fry recommended for UNT to hire to be his successor. Of course, we did not and Brashier went on to success as Fry's Def. Coord. at Iowa.

Then UNT hired a coach from Nebraska that we were all told was the Cornhuskers Off. Coord. when (in fact) he was only their Receivers Coach; of course, this was years before the onset of the internet which put people under much more public scrutiny, too. Yet Moore would be at North Texas for 2 years and leave with an even .500 w/l record--our last coach to be that close to .500 career wins matter of fact.

I'm sorry, but we really do seem to be our own worst enemy at UNT with the last 6 hires and in 6 hires you'd think even a blind hog would find an acorn every once in a while with a winner But not at UNT--our hogs were too busy talking about how much a sleeping giant we were while some of our alums were busy pumping more Sominex down their throats to keep them in sleep mode while thinking they were actually doing something actually positive as to wake up that comatose, ie, Sleeping Giant. :blink:

Think about all the other schools at our level who seem to have no problem hiring quality every once with a coach who will even go up to the next level from time to time. La Tech who is a very tough competitor of ours in Texas HS recruiting wars has had much more success than UNT the last 2 or so decades; heck, they've even beat Alabama 2 times during an era we were still trying to find our identity while fiddle-fartin' for 12 years at the NCAA 1-AA level. And the Bulldogs have also had other key OOC wins in the last few years, too.

Whoever UNT hires needs to salvage even some of this recruiting class that will sign in February with a few of them needing to make a presence in our 2011 season over at the new stadium. A name coach hire with FBS experience with some winning success would be most ideal. I'm sure our hiring authorities will put their heads together to insure we don't screw up this hire or turn it into another complete public relations blunder among the real masses within our UNT community instead of just a few of us (comparatively) who post on GoMeanGreen.com. We cannot afford such a negative perception creator of a hire that would completely negate the whole idea of a new era with a new stadium and all.

At North Texas--the law of averages has to be on our side this hiring go around--and isn't 30 plus years long enough for us to wait on those laws of averages? :(

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

First, the Stoops name is magic here in the Southwest and he does come from a winning football program. Fry coached the other 2 Stoops that are HFC's. And you are right, you build with defense, too.

UNT Thumbed Nose To Even One of Our Own: Funny thing, though, when Fry left Denton in 1978 UNT alum and football letterman Bill Bashier (Def. Coord.) was the one UNT assistant Fry recommended for UNT to hire to be his successor. Of course, we did not and Brashier went on to success as Fry's Def. Coord. at Iowa.

Then UNT hired a coach from Nebraska that we were all told was the Cornhuskers Off. Coord. when (in fact) he was only their Receivers Coach; of course, this was years before the onset of the internet which put people under much more public scrutiny, too. Yet Moore would be at North Texas for 2 years and leave with an even .500 w/l record--our last coach to be that close to .500 career wins matter of fact.

I'm sorry, but we really do seem to be our own worst enemy at UNT with the last 6 hires and in 6 hires you'd think even a blind hog would find an acorn every once in a while with a winner But not at UNT--our hogs were too busy talking about how much a sleeping giant we were while some of our alums were busy pumping more Sominex down their throats to keep them in sleep mode while thinking they were actually doing something actually positive as to wake up that comatose, ie, Sleeping Giant. :blink:

Think about all the other schools at our level who seem to have no problem hiring quality every once with a coach who will even go up to the next level from time to time. La Tech who is a very tough competitor of ours in Texas HS recruiting wars has had much more success than UNT the last 2 or so decades; heck, they've even beat Alabama 2 times during an era we were still trying to find our identity while fiddle-fartin' for 12 years at the NCAA 1-AA level. And the Bulldogs have also had other key OOC wins in the last few years, too.

Whoever UNT hires needs to salvage even some of this recruiting class that will sign in February with a few of them needing to make a presence in our 2011 season over at the new stadium. A name coach hire with FBS experience with some winning success would be most ideal. I'm sure our hiring authorities will put their heads together to insure we don't screw up this hire or turn it into another complete public relations blunder among the real masses within our UNT community instead of just a few of us (comparatively) who post on GoMeanGreen.com. We cannot afford such a negative perception creator of a hire that would completely negate the whole idea of a new era with a new stadium and all.

At North Texas--the law of averages has to be on our side this hiring go around--and isn't 30 plus years long enough for us to wait on those laws of averages? :(

So, then, can I put you down as a maybe?

• Upvote 1

:lol:

Too close to retirement age now and I just can't fathom the thought of working for the goverment, either, especially these days and times.

I trust that UNT powers will make a good judgement call with this hire because the stakes are higher than ever this time. They really do need to make a good judgement call this time around.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

snapback.pngeulessismore, on 08 November 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

:lol:

Too close to retirement age now and I just can't fathom the thought of working for the goverment, either, especially these days and times.

I trust that UNT powers will make a good judgement call with this hire because the stakes are higher than ever this time. They really do need to make a good judgement call this time around.

GMG!

No, I meant can I put you down as maybe in favor of Stoops? Just wondering.

• Upvote 1

snapback.pngeulessismore, on 08 November 2010 - 07:17 PM, said:

No, I meant can I put you down as maybe in favor of Stoops? Just wondering.

:clapping:

I'm so used to the jokes and sarcasm of this board (some of which I dish out, too) so forgive my most wrong interrpretation of your question. :lol:

I have no idea about Stoops, but he comes from a winning FSU Seminole staff and does have good name ID which I guess gives him some degree of pedigree; just like onne of the Bowdens would have the same. And just how old is Bobby Bowden now? :blink: (just kiddin')

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

:clapping:

I'm so used to the jokes and sarcasm of this board (some of which I dish out, too) so forgive my most wrong interrpretation of your question. :lol:

I have no idea about Stoops, but he comes from a winning FSU Seminole staff and does have good name ID which I guess gives him some degree of pedigree; just like onne of the Bowdens would have the same. And just how old is Bobby Bowden now? :blink: (just kiddin')

GMG!

Could you find out what Tommy Bowden's doing lately?

So it was insinuated by Rock earlier today that a current Staff Coach at Florida St. was being looked at very strongly for the HC position here. I do not mean to overstep my limited projection skills but I would have to think that DC Mark Stoops is the only one on the rooster that we would wish to obtain as HC at this point. So..the question is...what could Mark Stoops do for UNT?

My thoughts are that a strong HC with legit DC credentials if fantastic. Combine that with retaining Chico as an OC (and a needed pay raise) if Stoops would go for it and we might have a dynamite coaching staff.

Bottom line is that Stoops has taken a mediocre-sub par defense an elevated them to current leaders in Sacks and 27th in the nation in Points Scored Against. With 2 of their three loses coming in at 4 or less points....its hard to ignore the fact that FSU has definitely initiated a turnaround.

I personally have no interest in Mark Stoops. I think there are more compelling options out there.

• Upvote 1

Mark Stoops is a name that I haven't heard, but has me HIGHLY intrigued. I think it would be a very big buzz hire, and have quite a bit of legitimate upside.

The problem with this is that although Chico has been very successful as an intern HC, we was not a great OC. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Remember the Army game?

Since taking over as head coach Canales has altered the Mean Green playbook, and I think that has been a large part of this teams recent success. Maybe he didn't have the freedom to change things as an OC. I don't know. That is the topic for another thread.

The problem with this is that although Chico has been very successful as an intern HC, we was not a great OC. I'm still trying to figure that one out. Remember the Army game?

Wow. 1-1, with the lone win being over WKU, is now considered very successful?

Have expectations really been lowered that much in the past 6 years?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Since taking over as head coach Canales has altered the Mean Green playbook, and I think that has been a large part of this teams recent success. Maybe he didn't have the freedom to change things as an OC. I don't know. That is the topic for another thread.

Could you elaborate on "recent success?" Surely, you don't mean beating WKU and almost beating another SBC team? Just wonderin'

Could you elaborate on "recent success?" Surely, you don't mean beating WKU and almost beating another SBC team? Just wonderin'

EagleGreen, you will find that you are truly wasting much of your mental energy trying to get through to some who seem to want to keep Mean Green football just more business as usual; but........"not going to happen--wouldn't be prudent." Prez' George H.W. Bush and David Spade

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 2

Wow. 1-1, with the lone win being over WKU, is now considered very successful?

Have expectations really been lowered that much in the past 6 years?

No, you twisted his words to fit your Chico bashing propoganda. He clearly said the following:

You took his quote of "intern" and in your usual cruel snarkiness, twisted it to mean "interim". I'm sure Chico was a very successful intern...

...now, where did he intern coach at? :unsure:

Stoops was defensive backs coach for a year, 1997 I think, so he and Canales have worked together.

Didn't they also work together at Arizona for a few years (2004-2006), up until they relieved Canales as OC and he went back to USF as passing-game co-ordinator (for 2007-2008)?

Edited by MCMLXXX

Mark Stoops is a name that I haven't heard, but has me HIGHLY intrigued. I think it would be a very big buzz hire, and have quite a bit of legitimate upside.

I don't know about him being a buzz hire. He has the Stoops name but I didn't know he existed before tonight's info. How about Eric Stoops, he is undefeated as head coach? Maybe Shawn Paterno? Chris Bowden? Jerry Fry? :unsure:

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 2