What Should The Fans Expect From Canales

UNT Mean Green

Let me set this straight, that I am not lobbying for one candidate or another and am going to be totally objective through the process of hiring the next head coach, and will fully support Rick and Dr. Rawlins' decision. But I have a question for the fans.

What should we expect from Canales for the rest of the year to make him a serious/legitimate candidate?

1) Is there a number of wins ultimatum during his stint as interim coach?

2) If yes to Question 1, then what is that number? and what game(s) does he need to win?

3) If no to Question 1, why not?

4) Is there a way or part of the game that you would expect to see managed and/or performed differently under Canales than Todd?

5) Do you feel that Canales can turn the recruiting around, and begin getting more legitimate players like they did and currently do at USF?

6) IF Canales were named Head Coach after his interim stint, what current assistant coaches would you like to see stay? Which ones would you like to see go?

7) Do you feel that Canales is a legitimate candidate right now?

8) Million Dollar Question. Do you have the confidence that if Canales performed well the rest of the year (up to your personal standard, whatever that may be) that he would be able to lead the program from 2011 forward as any other potential candidat?

2) If yes to Question 1, then what is that number? and what game(s) does he need to win?

4) Is there a way or part of the game that you would expect to see managed and/or performed differently under Canales than Todd?

5) Do you feel that Canales can turn the recruiting around, and begin getting more legitimate players like they did and currently do at USF?

6) IF Canales were named Head Coach after his interim stint, what current assistant coaches would you like to see stay? Which ones would you like to see go?

8) Million Dollar Question. Do you have the confidence that if Canales performed well the rest of the year (up to your personal standard, whatever that may be) that he would be able to lead the program from 2011 forward as any other potential candidat?

Good Survey! Insightful questions. I'll give it a go:

1 & 2) I would like to see him get 4 out of 5 (He already has 1). If 3 out of 5, then KSt. must be one of them. This, to even be considered...

3) If he fails to win 3 games, then I think we can do better.

4) I expect to see all aspects of the game improve if he is to be considered for the HC position. Offense/Defense/ST's/clock mgmt/player mgmt...

5) Not right now. But if he starts to win (especially if he beats KSt.), then maybe.

6) I'm not married to any of them. What coach Gandy is doing on the recruiting trail in MS and LA is pretty impressive. I think I would like for him to stick around, but not as ST's coach. Go back to coaching RB's only. Sounds like DLo is already gone after this season. I would want him to keep the guys that the players are responding to best. If he knows other coaches who could come in and do better, then by all means, bring them in.

7) Not right now. Win against Troy and I would START to consider him.

8) Yes.

• Downvote 1

I've gotten to know Coach Canales and I like him a lot as a person and as a football mind. But in evaluating what he needs to do, I want to look past WKU. Coach Dodge beat WKU the past 3 years. So, here is what I'm looking for:

1. Need to compete with MTSU and Troy. We need to be in these games heading into the 4th quarter. We haven't been close to these 2 teams the past 3 years. I'm not saying we need to win these games, but we need to have a chance late. Needs to beat ULM and be competitive with KSU.

2. I want to see the continuation of Coach C's offensive gameplan. Will we continue to be a spread offensive with emphasis on the run (like vs. WKU) and use play-action pass or will we revert back to the short passing game? Will we get under the center on short yardage? Will he continue to use the TE's, flip the strength, stretch the defense, not be scared to throw into cover 2, etc. Bottom line, will he continue to put "his" stamp on the team.

3. Will the team continue to respond to him once the initial euphoria of change wears off?

4. If DeLoach is gone, what does Coach C. want in a defense? Who would he look at as a Cordinator?

5. Finally, he's not a "big" name in terms of making a hire, but can he recruit? What are his thoughts on recruiting (athlete type, where to look, changing position etc.).

• Upvote 1

My take:

1) Is there a number of wins ultimatum during his stint as interim coach? Not exactly, but see below.

2) If yes to Question 1, then what is that number? and what game(s) does he need to win? 2 would be absolutely necessary to be considered as a candidate.

3) If no to Question 1, why not? I would say there are different levels of consideration based on how many wins he achieves.

2 wins = can still be a candidate, but I'm not tremendously excited.

3 wins = strong candidate.

4 wins = frontrunner - someone else is going to have a hard time convincing me he can do better.

5 wins = hire him now, quick, before Bama cans Saban to hire him!

4) Is there a way or part of the game that you would expect to see managed and/or performed differently under Canales than Todd? I would rather not compare his game management to Coach Dodge. But I would hope to see smart in-game decisions, and evidence of a coach who can find ways to take games he might not deserve to win, rather than to give away games he should have won.

5) Do you feel that Canales can turn the recruiting around, and begin getting more legitimate players like they did and currently do at USF? That's hard to say. We were recruiting pretty "legit" players, especially in '08--but only at certain positions. I see that Mike Canales has been able to recruit 4-star quarterbacks and athletes, but he has also been able to recruit top-100 D-linemen, something we've had trouble doing out of the high school ranks. A lot of the answer to this would depend on the assistants he brought aboard.

6) IF Canales were named Head Coach after his interim stint, what current assistant coaches would you like to see stay? Which ones would you like to see go? Stay: Coach Gandy, but only as running backs coach and perhaps recruiting coordinator. DeLoach - The improvement this season is undeniable, especially considering that so much has fallen on their shoulders with the offensive injuries. Anyone else, if the new head coach thought he had someone better to bring in, I'd believe him.

7) Do you feel that Canales is a legitimate candidate right now? I really have to wait and see on him. If he doesn't win another game, I don't think he's a great candidate.

8) Million Dollar Question. Do you have the confidence that if Canales performed well the rest of the year (up to your personal standard, whatever that may be) that he would be able to lead the program from 2011 forward as any other potential candidate? You never know for certain, but I would tend to say yes. Circumstances will improve going forward, although several key players will have finished their eligibility after this season.

Let me set this straight, that I am not lobbying for one candidate or another and am going to be totally objective through the process of hiring the next head coach, and will fully support Rick and Dr. Rawlins' decision. But I have a question for the fans.

What should we expect from Canales for the rest of the year to make him a serious/legitimate candidate?

I am a huge fan of Coach Canales...I think he is awesome and would not object to him being our next HC. However, and in the spirit of objectivity, here are my responses:

1. YES

2. He must beat Troy, MTSU, AND ULM. Basically he must win out within the SB games. I believe that everyone understands that, realistically, we do not have a chance to beat KSU...so he should pretty much get a pass here (However, something like 65-3 would not look all that great and would immediately disqualify him from the running I believe)

4. I think there will be more discipline...because I feel the players respect Coach Canales as the HC more than they did TD. Also, I do think the players will be in a much better position now that we have someone that can make the necessary in-game adjustments.

5. Yes. I think TD recruited for his system at Southlake. However, this is not HS ball...this is Div I-A ball. We saw a lot of these players not succeed here at NT. Further, TD did not have an interest in defensive players (way too many WR recruits the first couple of years) until it was too late. Canales will recruit better because he has the experience of knowing the type of player to recruit for this level of play.

6. I guess I would take Deloach back. Beyond him, all other coaches can go unless they are GREAT recruiters. Seems like Coach Gandy has recruited well?? And maybe the D-Line coach is ok??

7. YES, Coach Canales IS a legitimate candidate right now.

8. Again, I really like Coach Canales a lot...and would love to see him succeed here at NT. Plus, I LOVE the fact that he WANTS to be here...I am hearing all of the right things thus far.

Great questions. I think Canales needs to win 3 of the last 4 and play well in the other.

I don't want to see a 4th quarter lead lost.

I'm not sure with Riley at QB if Canales can really run the offense he wants to. Which is why this is a good test for him and his abilities as a coach. Can he win when everything's not perfect?

He's not a lead candidate in my mind simply because those that don't follow the program will never understand promoting from within a terrible program. It just won't look good to do that unless you can point to 4 out of 5 wins as the reason.

• Upvote 1

1. No. However, it would help him to get as many wins as possible.

2. n/a

3. A handful of wins is a really small sample size to base a decision like this on.

4. I think this will be a better determining factor in whether Canales should be a candidate. Can he inspire the team over the final games? Can he get the team to improve each week (whether that results in wins or not)? Can he get the coaches working together in spite of the fact they all have to be worried about their jobs? Can he handle all the responsibilites that is required of a head coach at this level on a day to day basis? After a few weeks he seems to be hitting all these points as best we can tell from the outside. However, it's much harder to keep it going week after week especially once some road blocks come along. How will Canales and the team respond if they play well but get blasted by Troy? How Canales handles this will say a lot more about his potiential candidacy than the win over WKU.

5. Canales has been here for half a season so all we have to go on is his performance in his previous stops. The only thing I've heard is that he is a good recruiter. After watching his WKU post game locker room speech and his post game press conference I think he would be a great recruiter. I think he has a personality kids would be attracted to and love playing for.

6. I believe who ever the new coach is should be able to hire their own staff.

7. I think he should be a legitimate candidate. If we're looking at current coordinators of other schools then Canales is in that mix. He's only been here for six months so I would not hold that against him. However, there's a lot of responsibilites required of a head coach that we don't see from the outside. RV would have a much more insightful opinion and if RV doesn't think Canales can cut it at this level then he shouldn't be a legitimate candidate. The other issue is that RV doesn't have sole input into this decision. If others (influential boosters, President, etc) all think UNT must have a big name hire then Canales is already out so this entire discussion is moot.

8. If things keep going up for the team and Canales is hired then I would be very hopeful that things will turn around quickly as much as I would with any other hire. The problem is it doesn't matter who you hire - big name coach, big school coordinator, etc - the potiential for failure is there. If Canales can end this season on a high note he'l have one thing no one else does ... a positive experience as our head coach. That could be worth a lot when it comes to decision making time.

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

Yes.

I believe he needs to win 2 or 3 games total out of his final 5 to average around .500% (yes he already has 1 under the belt).

Taking into account the circumstances of competing with a physically depleted roster, I believe Canales must defeat UL-Monroe on the road (to prove he can win 2 road games in 1 season on the road); be ultra competitive with Troy and Middle Tennessee (and not have silly mistakes), and realistically I'd like to see us play Kansas State in a similar "competitive" way that we did at Clemson for the last game of the season.

n/a

There's several aspects:

• Eliminate the vast majority of the stupid & costly penalties that opposing teams have feasted off of the past few seasons.
  • Improve the kicking game into a sure thing.
  • See an aggressive approach against opponents with superior talent instead of a conservative, just "here to collect the check" type of deal.
  • See more of an emphasis on defense and recruiting "elite" talent on defense (especially lineman).
  • Play the best 22 guys you've got. If that means True Freshman, so be it. Don't hold anything back and try to win every game.

Absolutely 100% I believe in what they did at USF and how they recruited. I feel Canales truly has the type of personality and charisma to win in the living room, and knows HOW to win in that situation. We have to start recruiting at a higher level; and that takes a staff of guys who know HOW to recruit, and it all begins with the head coach. I do not worry about Canales spending most of his career on the East Coast. We have pretty darn good football in this part of the country as well, and I'd like to see us tap into this market. Unfortunately, we have made mostly a living off of JC kids from the SE and Kansas (credit to Gandy and Leftwich) these past few years, but Houston, Baylor, SMU, etc. are winning a ton of ballgames with a lot of kids from Texas high schools. I also like that Canales comes with connections in the Southeast, where they have athletes everywhere, and only so many of them can play in the SEC. Look at how many NFL players USF has turned out recently. I'd love to see the same thing happen in Denton, and I firmly believe Mike Canales is capable of making that happen because he has been there and done it, and can sell that.

Shelton Gandy to stay for sure. We have to continue to use his connections in the Southeast Junior Colleges and in New Orleans. He's gotten us some really good players, and not to mention with Dunbar, Hamilton, and Byrd coming back, we're pretty loaded at RB. Probably Conroy Hines to stay as well. He seems to know what he's doing. You may keep Chuck Petersen to bridge the gap for a year. The rest of the assistants are fair game I'd think, especially if DeLoach is truly retiring. I'd love to see the next head coach snatch up some guys from truly wining programs (like a Clay Jennings from TCU, etc) with guys he feels like are as good or better of a coach than he is.

Yes I do. And I say that because he has a leg up as far as auditioning right in front of Rick Villareal and his senior staff every day. And I've heard it's been "a lot different atmosphere the past 2 weeks" (in a positive way).

8) Million Dollar Question. Do you have the confidence that if Canales performed well the rest of the year (up to your personal standard, whatever that may be) that he would be able to lead the program from 2011 forward as any other potential candidate?

Yes. I feel like if you are evaluating current assistants, the level of diverse experience Canales has is as good as you'll find out there.

I have the utmost confidence that Rick Villareal will make the correct decision, and the next head coach will build North Texas into a winner, be it Mike Canales or not.

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 1

4. I think this will be a better determining factor in whether Canales should be a candidate. Can he inspire the team over the final games? Can he get the team to improve each week (whether that results in wins or not)? Can he get the coaches working together in spite of the fact they all have to be worried about their jobs? Can he handle all the responsibilites that is required of a head coach at this level on a day to day basis? After a few weeks he seems to be hitting all these points as best we can tell from the outside. However, it's much harder to keep it going week after week especially once some road blocks come along. How will Canales and the team respond if they play well but get blasted by Troy? How Canales handles this will say a lot more about his potiential candidacy than the win over WKU. . . .

8. If things keep going up for the team and Canales is hired then I would be very hopeful that things will turn around quickly as much as I would with any other hire. The problem is it doesn't matter who you hire - big name coach, big school coordinator, etc - the potiential for failure is there. If Canales can end this season on a high note he'l have one thing no one else does ... a positive experience as our head coach. That could be worth a lot when it comes to decision making time.

I believe he needs to win 2 or 3 games total out of his final 5 to average around .500% (yes he already has 1 under the belt).

Taking into account the circumstances of competing with a physically depleted roster, I believe Canales must defeat UL-Monroe on the road (to prove he can win 2 road games in 1 season on the road); be ultra competitive with Troy and Middle Tennessee (and not have silly mistakes), and realistically I'd like to see us play Kansas State in a similar "competitive" way that we did at Clemson for the last game of the season.

Good thoughts, y'all.

(1), (2), & (3)

If Canales wins 2, he'll have won as many as Dodge did in 12 games season, and will have done it in 5 games with injuries to major parts of the offense. If he wins 2, he should be considered.

If he wins 3, he should be one of the top candidates. If he wins more than 3, he should be hired and given a 3 year contract.

(4)

We are already seeing it - Canales isn't as hell bent on passing just for the sake of passing they way Dodge/Ford were. Canales has third and fourth team QB taking snaps from the third team center and keeping us - and winning some - ball games. Recognizing the talent you have and how to maximize it is the mark of a great coach.

Mack Brown and Bob Stoops did this in their one season turnarounds of Texas and Oklahoma.

(5)

This is the most laughable question of all. He's recruited the West Coast and Florida for almost his entire career. The thing that excites me is his tie back to Snow JC. They produce many good college quarterbacks and linemen - and, we are in need of both! Snow JC examples: Kevin Curtis, Josh Heupel, Mario Fatafehi, Mo Eliwonibi, Duece Lutui.

He'll be a lethal recruiter paired with Petersen and Gandy. Combine that with the swath of the South WR coach Hines provides, and we'll have a recruiting base that goes coast to coast, high school and JUCO.

(6)

I'd be for keeping all current coaches on the staff. Given the injury situation we are in, to have matched the win total in years when we were not injury-plagued shows that they are getting something out of the back ups.

(7) & (8)

Yes. He's got the temperament and experience to lead this thing - or anyone else's thing.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

By virtue of being the interim coach, Canales is already a serious candidate. If he and the team do well in the next three games he has to be one of the favorites. I am not sure you can state a number of games he would have to win, he would have to be competitive in all.

It is ironic that Canales faith is largely in the hands of a hobbled Riley to led the team.

3) If no to Question 1, why not? I would say there are different levels of consideration based on how many wins he achieves.

2 wins = can still be a candidate, but I'm not tremendously excited.

3 wins = strong candidate.

4 wins = frontrunner - someone else is going to have a hard time convincing me he can do better.

5 wins = hire him now, quick, before Bama cans Saban to hire him!

BOOM, DONE!

That makes me want to laugh and cry.

agreed, and thank GOD for w.k., who accounted for half of t.d.'s victories. regarding coach chico, its unrealistic to expect wins against k.state and troy at home,and certainly mtsu on the road. both troy and mtsu are significantly better than us, and lead the belt. in fact, la.monroe beat troy at home last week, so a win there is not a given. i would like to see another win by coach chico, but more important to me is team effort and sound coaching for rest of season. he still in playing with 3rd string qb and center, as well as numerous other players out for the season.

agreed, and thank GOD for w.k., who accounted for half of t.d.'s victories. regarding coach chico, its unrealistic to expect wins against k.state and troy at home,and certainly mtsu on the road. both troy and mtsu are significantly better than us, and lead the belt. in fact, la.monroe beat troy at home last week, so a win there is not a given. i would like to see another win by coach chico, but more important to me is team effort and sound coaching for rest of season. he still in playing with 3rd string qb and center, as well as numerous other players out for the season.

How can you guys use 'effort' as a barometer to evalutate Canales' resume? Our players gave effort under Dodge. You could point to maybe a few quarters where effort was brought into question but for the most part I feel we were giving effort. That effort just didn't result in wins. For me, I need to see wins. The last two years have been filled with effort that results in a close loss. I need to see that change. Maybe it's Xs and Os, maybe it's an inspiring and passion filled halftime speech, or maybe it's decision making in critical moments. Whatever it is it should end with a W.

We may not have as much talent as Troy or MUTS or Kstate. But aren't we looking for a coach who can get us some wins when we're expected to lose? Aren't we looking for a recruiter who can walk into someone's home and point to some signiture wins he's had?

I'd love for Canales to lead this team into our new stadium. But I need to see more than just effort.

5. Finally, he's not a "big" name in terms of making a hire, but can he recruit? What are his thoughts on recruiting (athlete type, where to look, changing position etc.).

The 2 most important criteria that will make the final decision on our new head football coach GMoney has listed on his #5. No one that I've seen in this thread has even mentioned the ticket selling impact of whoever we would hire so I guess they are expecting record numbers of new ticket buyers coming from what new wood work we didn't see the last 6 years of losing seasons with another college HFC unknown commodity many of us pushed for the job back then?

UNT cannot afford to gamble this way again in our lifetimes no matter how many of us thought the last project would work including......yours truly. :( (If you've ever made a mistake in judgement, then you might know how some of us who pushed for Dodge might feel of late).

Real Red Numbers Talk With This: Does an unknown hire whoever he would be negate the total & complete impact of what I think UNT powers want this new stadium to make in the next 12 months and beyond in the North Texas Metroplex as well as the entire Lone Star State?

What would even potential corporate sponsors think of who we hire? Would they take us serious as an up and coming NCAA football program to contend worthy of having their name on our stadium if we hire a virutally unknown? In your heart of hearts, most of you know the answer to that question

Spoke to a Horned Frog this morning who was sitting by his computer when I called and I asked him to read all this on GoMeanGreen.com where any NCAA FBS football program would even consider an assistant, ie, "any assistant" from a perennially losing football program and he only told me with a bit of sarcasm, "Now I understand why North Texas cannot get their football program off ground center. Then he said, "yall do that kind of hire then we know your new stadium coupled with an unknown coach won't compete for any players we want to recruit for another 4 or 5 years in the recruiting wars."

The poll that Harry posted a few weeks ago says the concensus of this board prefers a name coach if you add up the total votes for all the name coaches together. Comparatively, a small percentage wanted yet another "project" or "unknown" coach that we have no idea how effective a recruiter he would be among college circles. But you have to be a multi-year reader of this board to understand how the Roman mob'esque effect for the push of (always) "one" particular UNT assistant coach takes over for a brief period of time.

Hasn't there almost always been "one" UNT asssistant coach who the last few years will win the heart and souls of some on this board most of whom have never in their lifetimes as UNT students or alums seen (or played under) a UNT Head Football Coach with more career wins than losses? It was invevitable that another "chosen one" would be picked this time around after TDodge was released from his contract.

So..........Who Will Be The Next "Chosen One" After Canales Because There Were Certainly Many Before Him.

(1) Remember back in they day when this board crowned assistant coach Gary DeLoach as "their" next "best friend" project?

(2) Oh yes! Remember when it was Kenny Evans who received the GMG.com version of the Papal Blessing from the usual hardy handful?

(3) Spencer Leftwhich? Yes, in deedy, he had his own personal fan club on GMG.com who insisted that he get back to the Land of the Jolly Green Giant with the midget-sized dreams for any semblance of an upwardly bound football program except those big Sun Belt Conference wins of which some want to use now as criteria to hire our next 5 or 6 year "unknown commodity" of a HFC.

Why do we always use the worst FBS conference in the USA as our barometer? No one else in the state of Texas of significance would use a Bottom 25 model for damn sure. Maybe thats why they never think of us when expansion talk comes around because they think we are joined at the hip with the Sun Belt Conference in mind, thought and athletic philosophy?

It's almost like a family that has a history of alcoholism from past generations to generation. Yet........which generation will it be that breaks that ongoing cycle of a tremendously bad habit?

Who will be the one who does the same for the future of North Texas football? We don't need another 5 or 6 years of an unknown commodity or do we like the misery so much? Are we scared of success beyond the SBC or something? If so, ask Boise and TCU how much fun they're having right now once they took the big plunge from what they had been doing before true upper level success came their way to get out of their own multi-year miserable co-assistance in NCAA football.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

The 2 most important criteria that will make the final decision on our new head football coach GMoney has listed on his #5. No one that I've seen in this thread has even mentioned the ticket selling impact of whoever we would hire so I guess they are expecting record numbers of new ticket buyers coming from what new wood work we didn't see the last 6 years of losing seasons with another college HFC unknown commodity many of us pushed for the job back then?

UNT cannot afford to gamble this way again in our lifetimes no matter how many of us thought the last project would work including......yours truly. :( (If you've ever made a mistake in judgement, then you might know how some of us who pushed for Dodge might feel of late).

Real Red Numbers Talk With This: Does an unknown hire whoever he would be negate the total & complete impact of what I think UNT powers want this new stadium to make in the next 12 months and beyond in the North Texas Metroplex as well as the entire Lone Star State?

What would even potential corporate sponsors think of who we hire? Would they take us serious as an up and coming NCAA football program to contend worthy of having their name on our stadium if we hire a virutally unknown? In your heart of hearts, most of you know the answer to that question

Spoke to a Horned Frog this morning who was sitting by his computer when I called and I asked him to read all this on GoMeanGreen.com where any NCAA FBS football program would even consider an assistant, ie, "any assistant" from a perennially losing football program and he only told me with a bit of sarcasm, "Now I understand why North Texas cannot get their football program off ground center. Then he said, "yall do that kind of hire then we know your new stadium coupled with an unknown coach won't compete for any players we want to recruit for another 4 or 5 years in the recruiting wars."

The poll that Harry posted a few weeks ago says the concensus of this board prefers a name coach if you add up the total votes for all the name coaches together. Comparatively, a small percentage wanted yet another "project" or "unknown" coach that we have no idea how effective a recruiter he would be among college circles. But you have to be a multi-year reader of this board to understand how the Roman mob'esque effect for the push of (always) "one" particular UNT assistant coach takes over for a brief period of time.

Hasn't there almost always been "one" UNT asssistant coach who the last few years will win the heart and souls of some on this board most of whom have never in their lifetimes as UNT students or alums seen (or played under) a UNT Head Football Coach with more career wins than losses? It was invevitable that another "chosen one" would be picked this time around after TDodge was released from his contract.

So..........Who Will Be The Next "Chosen One" After Canales Because There Were Certainly Many Before Him.

(1) Remember back in they day when this board crowned assistant coach Gary DeLoach as "their" next "best friend" project?

(2) Oh yes! Remember when it was Kenny Evans who received the GMG.com version of the Papal Blessing from the usual hardy handful?

(3) Spencer Leftwhich? Yes, in deedy, he had his own personal fan club on GMG.com who insisted that he get back to the Land of the Jolly Green Giant with the midget-sized dreams for any semblance of an upwardly bound football program except those big Sun Belt Conference wins of which some want to use now as criteria to hire our next 5 or 6 year "unknown commodity" of a HFC.

Why do we always use the worst FBS conference in the USA as our barometer? No one else in the state of Texas of significance would use a Bottom 25 model for damn sure. Maybe thats why they never think of us when expansion talk comes around because they think we are joined at the hip with the Sun Belt Conference in mind, thought and athletic philosophy?

It's almost like a family that has a history of alcoholism from past generations to generation. Yet........which generation will it be that breaks that ongoing cycle of a tremendously bad habit?

Who will be the one who does the same for the future of North Texas football? We don't need another 5 or 6 years of an unknown commodity or do we like the misery so much? Are we scared of success beyond the SBC or something? If so, ask Boise and TCU how much fun they're having right now once they took the big plunge from what they had been doing before true upper level success came their way to get out of their own multi-year miserable co-assistance in NCAA football.

GMG!

sorry plumm. i can't read that ramble. again in 10 words or less.

• Upvote 1

WOW! Plumm is back in living, bold, larger than standard text color!

To be honest, I don't care if Football Jesus is available, if Canales can prove he can win AT NORTH TEXAS, he should get the job. 2 wins won't cut it. 3 wins is iffy. If we win all our remaining conference games, I strongly put him in the running. If he won out, you better give that man the job. Once upon a time Gary Patterson and Chris Peterson weren't very sexy either.

WOW! Plumm is back in living, bold, larger than standard text color!

To be honest, I don't care if Football Jesus is available, if Canales can prove he can win AT NORTH TEXAS, he should get the job. 2 wins won't cut it. 3 wins is iffy. If we win all our remaining conference games, I strongly put him in the running. If he won out, you better give that man the job. Once upon a time Gary Patterson and Chris Peterson weren't very sexy either.

Cr1028, to quote Elvis: Thank ya' very much ladies & gentlemen.

Colors? As a kid, I was a huge fan of the NBC peacock! :blushing:

GMG!

PS: LoveMG, sorry, but I did tend to ramble on that particular post of passion. I can't explain it, my hands just take off and I have no control of what they sometimes type, so I don't take full responsibility of all my word actions at all sometimes. It's a phenomena of midget proportions. I will seek help. :(

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

As odd as it sounds, I agree with the Plumm on this one, sans his polychromatic script.

I appreciate what Coach Canales is doing to resurrect what has been another dismal season in Mean Green Country. Canales may be an outstanding guy, and eventually a very promising potential head coach, but now is not the right time at North Texas.

North Texas needs to be able to sell potential ticket buyers that there will be real change from the embarrassing results they have witnessed and followed in the newspapers for the last six years. "We fired Todd Dodge but promoted his assistant because he beat a horrible Western Kentucky team and had the team playing well against a couple of other Sun Belt schools" just doesn't cut it. The change needs to be much more evident, and hopefully noteworthy in that it's somebody who will generate interest outside gomeangreen.com, and nobody from the current staff fits the criteria.

I will say that Coach Canales has seemed to inspire the team during that Western Kentucky game, and seems to be quite popular with many of the players and fans. Hopefully he will keep performing well and will have strong consideration to remain as Offensive Coordinator on the next coaching staff. Coach Canales is one of the main reasons that I find head coach candidate Jim Leavitt so intriguing. Those two have proven that together they can build a winning program.

And who knows what the future holds.....Canales could eventually be hired as the head coach at another school, or he could eventually inherit the head coaching position at North Texas.

Anyway, whoever it is, I want the new North Texas head football coach signed, on site, evaluating talent, building his staff, and starting the recruiting process before this football season ends. Waiting until after the season to evaluate and offer candidates is not an acceptable option.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3