Leavitt Documents

Did Leavitt ever get accused of any wrongdoing other than the locker room incident? Even if this drags out in the courts for years, did USF ever come up with anything other than the locker room incident as cause for firing him?

Because if that's all that would be discussed in court, I don't care if the lawsuit drags on during his tenure at North Texas.

For crying out loud, the guy who built Troy was busted ON TAPE bribing an Auburn football player and telling him to keep quiet about it. Somehow, he's managed to move past it and turn their program into a success.

I don't know if Leavitt did what USF says/thinks he did or not. If I had to guess, he probably did. Either way, I don't care. As far as "scandal" goes, this is about the most minor knock on a viable coach I can think of. We're not talking about Dave Bliss here. We're not even talking about Bobby Knight. The guy may have gotten physical with a kid in the middle of a game. In the heat of the moment, he may have let his judgment fly out the window and done something stupid.

We've got a shot at a guy who had a BCS conference team ranked LAST YEAR. And the year before that. And the year before that.

And it's not a guy who is used to having all the BCS resources and tools at his disposal. He built the place from nothing. From literally nothing.

I've been heavy for Franchione, and I'd still love to have him. But if Leavitt is after us, then LOCK THAT GUY DOWN.

BEST. POST. EVER!

Did Leavitt ever get accused of any wrongdoing other than the locker room incident? Even if this drags out in the courts for years, did USF ever come up with anything other than the locker room incident as cause for firing him?

Because if that's all that would be discussed in court, I don't care if the lawsuit drags on during his tenure at North Texas.

For crying out loud, the guy who built Troy was busted ON TAPE bribing an Auburn football player and telling him to keep quiet about it. Somehow, he's managed to move past it and turn their program into a success.

I don't know if Leavitt did what USF says/thinks he did or not. If I had to guess, he probably did. Either way, I don't care. As far as "scandal" goes, this is about the most minor knock on a viable coach I can think of. We're not talking about Dave Bliss here. We're not even talking about Bobby Knight. The guy may have gotten physical with a kid in the middle of a game. In the heat of the moment, he may have let his judgment fly out the window and done something stupid.

We've got a shot at a guy who had a BCS conference team ranked LAST YEAR. And the year before that. And the year before that.

And it's not a guy who is used to having all the BCS resources and tools at his disposal. He built the place from nothing. From literally nothing.

I've been heavy for Franchione, and I'd still love to have him. But if Leavitt is after us, then LOCK THAT GUY DOWN.

Thank you sir, excellent, excellent post!!!!

Rick

Obviously, NT or anyone else that is looking at Leavitt needs to be satisfied that anything like the alleged incident will not happen. Amusingly, there is another thread discussing the differences between now in the past relating to what coaches can get by with. Decades ago, an incident like this would not even be newsworthy. Many who admire Corky Nelson, seem to forget his fighting with a player on the sidelines. An event that passed with little consequences for Corky or the player.

However, this is today and things like the alleged incident can't happen. It does seem that this is all about the money and most likely will be settled.

This event has to be evaluated in any review of Leavitt as a candidate just as Lynch's conduct or any other hc hopeful. One thing about hiring any established head coach, they are all going to have a public record that can be analyzed and all are going to have both good and bad factors. In the case of Leavitt, he has had a long coaching history and if this is an isolated event; than it should treated as such.

Leavitt could be a good choice, but as far the "name" part of all this goes, who outside GMG.com knows anything about this guy? Are we shooting too low here? Coach Fran would be known more here in the Metroplex and beyond, but he, too, has blemishes and staying somewhere for any considerable amount of time is one of them.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

Outstanding post! Agree 100% +1

Outstanding post! Agree 100% +1

I agree.... One other man that was a part of that building nothing to a BCS team was Canales. He was the OC there twice, for a total of 8 years with Leavitt. He and Leavitt, together put time into those trailers everyone talks about. Of all Assistants that worked under Leavitt during his USF time was Canales has the most time of all with Leavitt at USF.

I agree that having Leavitt interested in the Job is great, a BCS head conference coach conference coach is very exciting for UNT. We all should be excited, there have been rays of sunshine come out of the storm in the last few years. A new Athletic Facility and an incredible stadium. If that doesn't make you excited then I don't know what will.

Some of you forget that Leavitt was not only fired for the incident, Dont be so gullible. Leavitt sent 25+ Players to the NFL, including a Lottery Pick last year. USF was always ranked high with great expectations preseason and early season.and started the first 6 games of the season winning 6-0 multiple times, Ranked in the top 25, Top 10, and even Top 3. But the last 6 games of the season went down the drain every year. They were never in the running to win the conference in the Big East at the end of the season, and always ended up in a mediocre bowl game. They were expected to win the weakest auto bid conference in BCS being in a talent infested state of Florida and never came close. USF needed to get some of that BCS $$$$$$, and never did.

I am not saying that what Leavitt did with USF and putting them on the map of college football wasn't an amazing accomplishment, it was.

All of you are so caught up in just that fact a BCS head coach is interested in coming to Denton and forgetting the rest of the baggage.

Lets see what Canales can do in the next 5 weeks. He has dealt with a lot this year, losing 14 offensive players to Injuries. Those players were the ones that got the reps in Spring to learn the new Canales offense, not the 3rd and 4th string guys. He has had to teach these guys midweek, midseason to compete. Aside from the Army, FIU game we have competed in every game, even @ Clemson. It isnt about Wins and Losses in 2010 anymore, it is how these kids play. Do we seem the same penalties, do we see blow outs, or the kids to just give up and look to 2011 and the new stadium. Doesnt seem fair to the Seniors on the team to me.

Am I a Canales fan? That is pretty obvious, I am. Do I know Canales No! Do I know people that know Canales...Yes. Those people and former players and parents of those players that say good things about Canales and I like what I hear.

I am a UNT Grad like some of you, and i paid my tuition at that school just like you. Is being a Canales fan and me cheering for the guy I have heard good things about make me not a "True Mean Grean" Fan? Or not worthy to be in the cool group on these boards? We should be rallying, not dividing. Lets support these seniors... All those losses throughout their career might be covered from good memories of winning some games. What a great way to get people excited about 2011 if we can win some games this season!!

Mock me as you want, Call me Ms. Canales, or Canales agent, or whatever you may. I just say lets support him, the AD, the President trust this man to drive the ship the rest of the year. That should mean something to us.

Lets see what happens, if something good happens then good...if not we get a new stadium a new HC next year which is good also.

Go Mean Green!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree.... One other man that was a part of that building nothing to a BCS team was Canales. He was the OC there twice, for a total of 8 years with Leavitt. He and Leavitt, together put time into those trailers everyone talks about. Of all Assistants that worked under Leavitt during his USF time was Canales has the most time of all with Leavitt at USF.

I agree that having Leavitt interested in the Job is great, a BCS head conference coach conference coach is very exciting for UNT. We all should be excited, there have been rays of sunshine come out of the storm in the last few years. A new Athletic Facility and an incredible stadium. If that doesn't make you excited then I don't know what will.

Some of you forget that Leavitt was not only fired for the incident, Dont be so gullible. Leavitt sent 25+ Players to the NFL, including a Lottery Pick last year. USF was always ranked high with great expectations preseason and early season.and started the first 6 games of the season winning 6-0 multiple times, Ranked in the top 25, Top 10, and even Top 3. But the last 6 games of the season went down the drain every year. They were never in the running to win the conference in the Big East at the end of the season, and always ended up in a mediocre bowl game. They were expected to win the weakest auto bid conference in BCS being in a talent infested state of Florida and never came close. USF needed to get some of that BCS $$$$$$, and never did.

I am not saying that what Leavitt did with USF and putting them on the map of college football wasn't an amazing accomplishment, it was.

All of you are so caught up in just that fact a BCS head coach is interested in coming to Denton and forgetting the rest of the baggage.

Lets see what Canales can do in the next 5 weeks. He has dealt with a lot this year, losing 14 offensive players to Injuries. Those players were the ones that got the reps in Spring to learn the new Canales offense, not the 3rd and 4th string guys. He has had to teach these guys midweek, midseason to compete. Aside from the Army, FIU game we have competed in every game, even @ Clemson. It isnt about Wins and Losses in 2010 anymore, it is how these kids play. Do we seem the same penalties, do we see blow outs, or the kids to just give up and look to 2011 and the new stadium. Doesnt seem fair to the Seniors on the team to me.

Am I a Canales fan? That is pretty obvious, I am. Do I know Canales No! Do I know people that know Canales...Yes. Those people and former players and parents of those players that say good things about Canales and I like what I hear.

I am a UNT Grad like some of you, and i paid my tuition at that school just like you. Is being a Canales fan and me cheering for the guy I have heard good things about make me not a "True Mean Grean" Fan? Or not worthy to be in the cool group on these boards? We should be rallying, not dividing. Lets support these seniors... All those losses throughout their career might be covered from good memories of winning some games. What a great way to get people excited about 2011 if we can win some games this season!!

Mock me as you want, Call me Ms. Canales, or Canales agent, or whatever you may. I just say lets support him, the AD, the President trust this man to drive the ship the rest of the year. That should mean something to us.

Lets see what happens, if something good happens then good...if not we get a new stadium a new HC next year which is good also.

Go Mean Green!!

If Leavitt does get hired here, and word ever gets back about how the Canales clan repeatedly tried to tarnish him in some misguided attempt at getting Mike hired as HC... I wonder if Mike Canales gets a 3rd chance to work with him.

If the worst you can say about Leavitt is that he went roughly .500 against BCS teams... Sign me up.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If Leavitt does get hired here, and word ever gets back about how the Canales clan repeatedly tried to tarnish him in some misguided attempt at getting Mike hired as HC... I wonder if Mike Canales gets a 3rd chance to work with him.

If the worst you can say about Leavitt is that he went roughly .500 against BCS teams... Sign me up.

Who is to say that Canales wouldnt be the OC for Leavitt? I dont know, your guess is as good as mine. Leavitt hired him twice so they must get along. That is a possibility too, reunited again for a 3rd time. The Canales Clan... I will add that to the list next time.

All i want is North Texas to win... Nothing more or less. Just to Win!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mediation was held in March, but the two sides could not agree on a settlement. That a mediation occurred tells me the school was willing to settle and put the matter behind them. In subsequent interviews I've read and watched, Leavitt's attorney appears to be dead set against it. Leavitt defers to his attorney; he doesn't know any better.

In many lawsuits, mediation is ordered by the judge. I don't know if this case was ordered to mediation but most cases are, and if the parties cannot agree on a mediator then the court will appoint one. Even if one side swears up and down they will not settle, they may have no choice but to go to mediation. It says nothing about either side's willingness to settle. In fact, before trial, one side or the other will file a motion in limine asking the court to prohibit anyone mentioning a list of things during trial, including the failed mediation because a jury may interpret a party going to mediation as a willingness to settle and an admission of some degree of liability.

Who is to say that Canales wouldnt be the OC for Leavitt? I dont know, your guess is as good as mine. Leavitt hired him twice so they must get along. That is a possibility too, reunited again for a 3rd time. The Canales Clan... I will add that to the list next time.

All i want is North Texas to win... Nothing more or less. Just to Win!!

I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but it is definitely my hope that if Leavitt is hired, he retains Canales as his HC. In fact, that's one of the things that has me excited about the Leavitt possibility. In addition to Canales, I would expect Leaviit to bring along more of his former USF staff as I believe most of them are still looking for work. The idea of having an entire BCS staff on the North Texas sidelines and press box is very exciting.

What would an attorney tell Rick V if our AD told him (or her) that 2 of our potential HFC's for UNT were both in litigation or lawsuits; that is, Leavitt and Leach?

Might some outside our UNT commnunity with no bias toward anything about UNT say those are definite red flags to consider? :unsure: Buyers remorse could set in fairly quickly with someone we could hire now who would bring more to our table than we need at this time in Denton, Texas, America.

Some things would be forgiven at some other schools who "might" have the luxury to gamble on these kind of things, but truly..........with our situation at UNT do we have any room to do that kind of thing at this point in time?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I can't speak for the rest of the forum, but it is definitely my hope that if Leavitt is hired, he retains Canales as his HC. In fact, that's one of the things that has me excited about the Leavitt possibility. In addition to Canales, I would expect Leaviit to bring along more of his former USF staff as I believe most of them are still looking for work. The idea of having an entire BCS staff on the North Texas sidelines and press box is very exciting.

Exactly.....!!! That would be great for North Texas and the City of Denton.

• Downvote 3

Leavitt could be a good choice, but as far the "name" part of all this goes, who outside GMG.com knows anything about this guy? Are we shooting too low here? Coach Fran would be known more here in the Metroplex and beyond, but he, too, has blemishes and staying somewhere for any considerable amount of time is one of them.

GMG!

I think Leavitt's "name" is plenty big to make the splash we're hoping to achieve. But, it's the experience he has in building a successful program from scratch to a #2 BCS ranking that makes him so attractive for this position.

What would an attorney tell Rick V if our AD told him (or her) that 2 of our potential HFC's for UNT were both in litigation or lawsuits; that is, Leavitt and Leach?

Might some outside our UNT commnunity with no bias toward anything about UNT say those are definite red flags to consider? :unsure: Buyers remorse could set in fairly quickly with someone we could hire now who would bring more to our table than we need at this time in Denton, Texas, America.

Some things would be forgiven at some other schools who "might" have the luxury to gamble on these kind of things, but truly..........with our situation at UNT do we have any room to do that kind of thing at this point in time?

GMG!

So says the school that just took one of the biggest gambles in the history of the NCAA football world by hiring a HS HC four years ago. Some might say we don't have the luxury to pass on these guys and, let's face it, without these issues, they'd both be currently employed at BCS programs.

GMG!

People may not know Jim Leavitt when they hear the name but most people know USF and how they have done the last 3-4 years in college football. When USF went #2 they were the talk of the country and you always see USF games on national television which is a plus. So when people hear that he was the one that made USF football what it is then there is no question that there will be excitement and buzz.

Sign me up for some of them mediocre bowls.

I don't think it any secret that I would love for us to hire Leach, however, if we were able to land Leavitt, I would be very happy.

Either one of these hires would send a strong message to the media, recruits, fans and the community: North Texas is Serious About Football.

I also believe that either one of them could begin winning games in the first year, maybe not get us to a bowl game, but we would be competitive in the SBC right away. That is going to be critically important if we want to maximize the boost from the new stadium.

Lets face it, this is the biggest chance we have to raise the program to a new level, if we miss it, we probably wont do well in the impending conference shifts. We need to take some risks, because if we miss this chance, there will not be another one for a long time.

I don't think it any secret that I would love for us to hire Leach, however, if we were able to land Leavitt, I would be very happy.

Either one of these hires would send a strong message to the media, recruits, fans and the community: North Texas is Serious About Football.

I also believe that either one of them could begin winning games in the first year, maybe not get us to a bowl game, but we would be competitive in the SBC right away. That is going to be critically important if we want to maximize the boost from the new stadium.

Lets face it, this is the biggest chance we have to raise the program to a new level, if we miss it, we probably wont do well in the impending conference shifts. We need to take some risks, because if we miss this chance, there will not be another one for a long time.

This.

With needing to sell seats to the new stadium and re-establish connections with depressed NT football fans, it is time we take a chance and get a NAME coach in here. More established programs in better conferences will soon be having openings. Wish BIG but strike quick! :santa:

In many lawsuits, mediation is ordered by the judge. I don't know if this case was ordered to mediation but most cases are, and if the parties cannot agree on a mediator then the court will appoint one. Even if one side swears up and down they will not settle, they may have no choice but to go to mediation. It says nothing about either side's willingness to settle. In fact, before trial, one side or the other will file a motion in limine asking the court to prohibit anyone mentioning a list of things during trial, including the failed mediation because a jury may interpret a party going to mediation as a willingness to settle and an admission of some degree of liability.

NEWSFLASH - You don't need to file a motion in limine because mediations are already confidential.

Leavitt's attorney had the opportunity to get Leavitt a settlement and he didn't do it. Mangino's did. There's nothing legally shocking or noteworthy to it. It's potentially stupid and career-limiting, but there's no special legal twisting that needs to be done for a plaintiffs attorney to do stupid things.

NEWSFLASH - You don't need to file a motion in limine because mediations are already confidential.

Leavitt's attorney had the opportunity to get Leavitt a settlement and he didn't do it. Mangino's did. There's nothing legally shocking or noteworthy to it. It's potentially stupid and career-limiting, but there's no special legal twisting that needs to be done for a plaintiffs attorney to do stupid things.

You are simply full of Bevo poo and have no idea what you're talking about.

Will Florin is a well known, well respected employment contract attorney in the entire state of Florida, while a first year law student knows more about contracts and negotiations than do you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Will Florin is a well known, well respected employment contract attorney in the entire state of Florida, while a first year law student knows more about contracts and negotiations than do you.

Maybe there is more than one Will Florin, attorney-at-law, in Florida. The one you are talking about is a employment contract attorney. I think TFLF is talking about this one that specializes in Malpractice with 80% of his cases in medical malpractice. The one referenced certainly not an employment contact attorney.

Maybe there is more than one Will Florin, attorney-at-law, in Florida. The one you are talking about is a employment contract attorney. I think TFLF is talking about this one that specializes in Malpractice with 80% of his cases in medical malpractice. The one referenced certainly not an employment contact attorney.

It doesn't matter what he is talking about, he knows zip, nada, zilch about the law. I get the feeling if he actually did attend law school he flunked out the first semester. He really exposes his ignorance with every post.

Florin's firm focuses on unusual mix

Florin is president of Florin Roebig, a firm with 12 lawyers including his brother Wolfgang and two other shareholders.

The firm has a somewhat unusual mix of specialties — personal injury, medical malpractice and employment law. The mix may explain why Florin and his office attract plaintiffs such as Leavitt and Landers.

Edited by MizzouTigers
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Will Florin is a well known, well respected employment contract attorney in the entire state of Florida, while a first year law student knows more about contracts and negotiations criminal law than do you.

Fixed it for you.

Although you are probably right about the contracts and negotiations, also.

TFLF is all about Mike Canales, and he will try to discredit ANYONE who is not Mike Canales.

TFLF, I think I figured it out. You attended law school classes as often as you attend UNT games, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fixed it for you.

Although you are probably right about the contracts and negotiations, also.

TFLF is all about Mike Canales, and he will try to discredit ANYONE who is not Mike Canales.

TFLF, I think I figured it out. You attended law school classes as often as you attend UNT games, right?

This battle roy-snooze shall not end until every thread is locked! Keep up the fight!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3