Next Head Coach?

texas51

Your the same fools that clamored for the worst coach in school history and called for the head of the guy that brought four consecutive conference championships the week after his heart attack.

Were you on the record when Dickey pulled the black uniform stunt and he lost control of the program so badly his coaches had a fistfight at halftime? I appreciate his run of success, but the way he ended things at UNT showed why his teams had so many discipline problems. Dickey had no discipline either.

He was also the biggest poor-me complainer who ever led this football team.

Hindsight being what it is, DD shouldn't have been fired mid-season just put on notice for the next season and forced to get a new OC.

I'm on the record saying the SMU win should have been enough to avoid getting the ax mid-year.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't make in college.

-That he couldn't bring in college level assistants.

-That the high school spread won't work in college, because we would have the talent disparity to make it work.

-The richest 10 school districts win 50% of all the UIL awards, because they have talent advanced from things like more coaching, summer camps, and select leagues, not because of superior coaching.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't coach a game in the new stadium.

And now for one more thing I'll be right about. This board shouldn't pick the next coach.

Your the same fools that clamored for the worst coach in school history and called for the head of the guy that brought four consecutive conference championships the week after his heart attack.

Does your elbow hurt? It must be a difficult angle, reaching all the way behind you. Then that patting motion. That must cause quite the strain.

It's much more classy to let other people point out how you were right, but then again you are from the Darrell Dickey school of class, so I guess it figures.

Every year about this time ya'll want to fire the coach. Ya'll can go back to the Coach Dickey era and read the same trite posts.

How much money do you have to get the "big guns" in here???

what if ... what if ... what if

Nobody here has any money to get a big name coach to come to NT!! Never has....never will.

Based on history, you are right (except for Hayden Fry). But I've got to say that this time is different. The student fee and the stadium have changed that.

We can't afford to not hire a "name" coach with the investment that is being made in facilities. There should be enough money from the student fees to make that happen.

We have to attract fans and players and we have a far better chance with a coach that people have heard of. Further, we will likely have to change conferences or become the next Boise State. Maybe some of both.

Unless Dodge can turn this program around this year, then I believe that we should hire a former FBS coach with a proven record. There is simply too much at stake to do otherwise.

Hindsight being what it is, DD shouldn't have been fired mid-season just put on notice for the next season and forced to get a new OC.

I'm on the record saying the SMU win should have been enough to avoid getting the ax mid-year.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't make in college.

-That he couldn't bring in college level assistants.

-That the high school spread won't work in college, because we would have the talent disparity to make it work.

-The richest 10 school districts win 50% of all the UIL awards, because they have talent advanced from things like more coaching, summer camps, and select leagues, not because of superior coaching.

I'm on the record saying Dodge wouldn't coach a game in the new stadium.

And now for one more thing I'll be right about. This board shouldn't pick the next coach.

Look, DD should have gotten fired when he did. He beat SMU--man, how did he ever do that? I mean they were coached by the great Phil Bennett. That juggernaut they had down there in Dallas was just so awesome. Beating them back then was just huge, probably the equivalent to beating Arkansas State. Truthfully, they were not good. Dickey had a decent run for really three years here. He didn't get another job, though, and as recruiting began to get back to normal under his "stealth" ways, his 3rd and 15 draw play didn't quite appeal to the masses. To me, the quality of DD showed up long before Hutch Black Jersey Night, but it was when SilverEagle and Ramon Flanigan got into a fight in the stands. RF should have been fired on the spot. If he wasn't fired by the HFC, then the AD should have done it. There wouldn't have been any other fights after that.

Too many on this board take a Dickey vs. Dodge view, especially you. Look, neither of them have been good for various reasons. Dickey had success by holding the ball and having a defense that could hit and tackle. But, even with the wins, the average attendance was about 16k. Dodge's offense has excitement, so it brings butts in seats, but his defense and special teams are beyond embarrasing. No wins, better attendance, though--go figure. In other words, they both were losers at UNT. Maybe it will just always be that way here, but to have a field named after DD is just ridiculous when there is nothing named after Hayden Fry or Corky Nelson. RV did the right thing, but his hire turned out to be a major dud. It happens everywhere. Look at how long it took UT to find Mack Brown or OU to find Bob Stoops. Hell, look at how long it took SMU to get June Jones. I just hope we get it right this next time. But if our next hire is battling out with DD to see who had a better legacy at UNT, I can assure you that we didn't get it right--again.

• Upvote 1

Let's not get to revisionist with our history. Dodge lost to that same SMU squad the next season.

Teams go into the crapper after they find out there coach is being fired, why does a coach record matter after he's a lame duck?

DD got fired a season and a half after 4-straight bowl runs, that was the wrong move.

Dodge teams will suck even more after he's laid off in a couple of weeks.

• Downvote 1

Let's not get to revisionist with our history. Dodge lost to that same SMU squad the next season.

I don't know that I'd say he lost to the SAME team... Dodge lost to an SMU team that didn't manage to beat anyone else all season and finished 1-11. Dickey beat an SMU team that would have made it to a bowl if it hadn't been for their loss to UNT.

Of course, that 2007 SMU team did have Julian Herron...

• Upvote 1

Look, DD should have gotten fired when he did. He beat SMU--man, how did he ever do that? I mean they were coached by the great Phil Bennett. That juggernaut they had down there in Dallas was just so awesome. Beating them back then was just huge, probably the equivalent to beating Arkansas State. Truthfully, they were not good. Dickey had a decent run for really three years here. He didn't get another job, though, and as recruiting began to get back to normal under his "stealth" ways, his 3rd and 15 draw play didn't quite appeal to the masses. To me, the quality of DD showed up long before Hutch Black Jersey Night, but it was when SilverEagle and Ramon Flanigan got into a fight in the stands. RF should have been fired on the spot. If he wasn't fired by the HFC, then the AD should have done it. There wouldn't have been any other fights after that.

Too many on this board take a Dickey vs. Dodge view, especially you. Look, neither of them have been good for various reasons. Dickey had success by holding the ball and having a defense that could hit and tackle. But, even with the wins, the average attendance was about 16k. Dodge's offense has excitement, so it brings butts in seats, but his defense and special teams are beyond embarrasing. No wins, better attendance, though--go figure. In other words, they both were losers at UNT. Maybe it will just always be that way here, but to have a field named after DD is just ridiculous when there is nothing named after Hayden Fry or Corky Nelson. RV did the right thing, but his hire turned out to be a major dud. It happens everywhere. Look at how long it took UT to find Mack Brown or OU to find Bob Stoops. Hell, look at how long it took SMU to get June Jones. I just hope we get it right this next time. But if our next hire is battling out with DD to see who had a better legacy at UNT, I can assure you that we didn't get it right--again.

I agree with 99% of the above post. The 1% you have to guess for yourself. :huh:

We really all sorta' need to move on and if we talk about UNT coaches, lets talk about those who finished above .500 in wins/losses with their career as Mean Green HFC, OK? :rolleyes: (Now wait a minute, who would it be that we would be talking about then)?!? :unsure::)

GMG!!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Teams go into the crapper after they find out there coach is being fired, why does a coach record matter after he's a lame duck?

DD got fired a season and a half after 4-straight bowl runs, that was the wrong move.

Dodge teams will suck even more after he's laid off in a couple of weeks.

Too revisionist? That SMU win was early in that season. His team was 3-6 (including that "epic" 7 OT win against FIU in which no one could score enough to win) when he got fired in his last year, following the 2-10 performance the year before. His brand of football was amazingly boring, hence the fact that attendance never improved. He ran down the school at every chance he got. Imagine what attendance would be here if we got a coach who liked being here and won games? It was the right decision then, just as it will be the right decision if Dodge cannot win 7 games. You always talk about those 4 bowl seasons, but you never mention that DD didn't even have a winning record here until his 5th season. I know, though, that is probably too revisionist, as well. When we got shut out at home by MTSU 35-0, it was quite obvious to most that his time had run its course, similar to how most feel about the current situation, unless a miracle occurs. Sometimes, I think shaft is Ramon Flanigan.

I'm aztecskin and I support this post.

Also, it is full of win.

That was Matt Simon. And I loved his aggressive gameday mentality.

You are correct, sir. Plus 1 for you! Like you, I enjoyed some of that aggressive mentality...some worked out some didn't, but you knew what you would be getting come game day.

Sad but true point made in this thread. North Texas has a practice facility named after a coach that left our fine university with scorched earth policy and an overall record of 42-64 and only 3 winning seasons in his nine years spent at NT. He also did not have a winning season until his 5th season in Denton, yet nothing to honor Hayden Fry, Odus Mitchell or Corky Nelson. Talk about an embarassment.

• Upvote 1

Sad but true point made in this thread. North Texas has a practice facility named after a coach that left our fine university with scorched earth policy and an overall record of 42-64 and only 3 winning seasons in his nine years spent at NT. He also did not have a winning season until his 5th season in Denton, yet nothing to honor Hayden Fry, Odus Mitchell or Corky Nelson. Talk about an embarassment.

This.

But let Ramon Flanigan tell you otherwise...

I say make Gary Deloach the Head Coach and DC. Allow him to bring in the biggest bunch of head-knocking thugs (I don't care if they steal your backpack) he can find and let the W's return to North Texas.

No. Assuming there will be a coaching change at the end of the season, we clean house. And we need to hire a head coach who has proven he can be a head coach at the college level, preferably 1-A. If that new coach wants to interview DeLoach or any of the current assistants, fine.

• Upvote 1

No. Assuming there will be a coaching change at the end of the season, we clean house. And we need to hire a head coach who has proven he can be a head coach at the college level, preferably 1-A. If that new coach wants to interview DeLoach or any of the current assistants, fine.

That is fine but I have decided that good young men cannot win at North Texas and we need some thugs like we used to have when we won.

• Downvote 2